Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is there some special type of paper and/or pencil that I can use to draw and when I'm finished I can erase what I drew to the point where you can no longer see the previously drawn lines anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You can use a non-photo blue pencil (or really any colored pencil, red is fine, too) to do your penciling, then do a tie-down or cleanup drawing over it in graphite. Then when you scan/photograph the sheets you can drop out the color on the computer and leave just the black pencil. It's pretty much how they did it in the Golden AgeŽ.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

they didn't have computers back then

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I was thinking of doing something like this:

1. Use paper that is all one solid color
2. Draw over the paper and erase and redraw the character every time they animate
3. Take a photo of each drawing
4. Upload the drawing on the computer and make transparent whatever solid color the paper is
5. Do this with multiple drawings to create layers (background, character, foreground)

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was thinking of doing something like this:

1. Use paper that is all one solid color
2. Draw over the paper and erase and redraw the character every time they animate
3. Take a photo of each drawing
4. Upload the drawing on the computer and make transparent whatever solid color the paper is
5. Do this with multiple drawings to create layers (background, character, foreground)

Dry erase board/markers. Just be mindful that it is a shiny surface so you'll only want to light it indirectly to avoid hot spots in your photos.

If you haven't thought of it already, you also might want to rig up a makeshift animation stand. Just something to hold your camera and drawing in set positions to make your photos more consistent. This will save you a lot of time/headache nudging things around to keep them lined up.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
If you're going to do that approach, why not try a whiteboard?

E:fb

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 18, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

In case this doesn't work out, how much improved is Toon Boom Harmony if I already have Toon Boom Animate?

I have Toon Boom Animate with a Wacom Tablet Intous 3. Has animation tech improved significantly from these two things?

neonnoodle posted:

If you're going to do that approach, why not try a whiteboard?

cocoavalley posted:

Dry erase board/markers. Just be mindful that it is a shiny surface so you'll only want to light it indirectly to avoid hot spots in your photos.

If you haven't thought of it already, you also might want to rig up a makeshift animation stand. Just something to hold your camera and drawing in set positions to make your photos more consistent. This will save you a lot of time/headache nudging things around to keep them lined up.

I like the style and feel of a pencil.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

In case this doesn't work out, how much improved is Toon Boom Harmony if I already have Toon Boom Animate?

I have Toon Boom Animate with a Wacom Tablet Intous 3. Has animation tech improved significantly from these two things?

I like the style and feel of a pencil.

Depending on which version of TBH you have, it may not be dramatically different from TBA. TBH is more designed for network-based collaboration on animation projects at the studio level. There's not going to be much in there that you can make use of, except for an improved vector pencil tool -- but even that, I believe they eventually put into TBA so you might have it.

But this idea you have about erasing a single sheet of paper over and over is utter madness. :psyduck: Animation is loving hard enough without adding to your woes with a bizarre approach. If you want to use pencil, just get yourself a ream of student bond paper and a round-hole pegbar (total cost: about $60) and go to town.

Seriously, they kind of figured out how to do animation convincingly using just paper and relatively simple technology in about 1912. Learn from established techniques and methods before you invent something with no basis in experience.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

william kentridge animates on one sheet of paper, for the most part, but he uses huge sheets and charcoal, and his motions are super simple

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The old timers also planned meticulously because sometimes the first time they could see their finished work was after the cells had been painted and the work was already on-screen. Pros who have been industry vets for a long time, even 3D guys like Keith Lango, encourage learning how to use exposure sheets/timing charts, just so you really know what you're doing instead of constantly guessing, and demystify motion for yourself. That way you can animate faster without all the guessing.

Whereas guys who learned 3D early on and never bothered to actually learn how things move because they could just offset/"try stuff" never really went anywhere, and today are super slow compared to their younger colleagues, which is a bit sad.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you're going to make a nine minute film on one piece of paper

edit- silly me. fifteen minutes.

bitmap fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 19, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I don't think I properly explained what I had in mind. I didn't mean I was going to use one single sheet of paper for the entire thing. I was looking for some type of layered sheeting that you can erase so I don't have to redraw unnecessary things in additional frames. I wasn't planning on doing that with every single frame though. But then again I can just use something like Toon Boom for that I suppose.

EDIT - Realize that "point 2" of that post where I explained things isn't worded correctly.

Ccs posted:

The old timers also planned meticulously because sometimes the first time they could see their finished work was after the cells had been painted and the work was already on-screen. Pros who have been industry vets for a long time, even 3D guys like Keith Lango, encourage learning how to use exposure sheets/timing charts, just so you really know what you're doing instead of constantly guessing, and demystify motion for yourself. That way you can animate faster without all the guessing.

Whereas guys who learned 3D early on and never bothered to actually learn how things move because they could just offset/"try stuff" never really went anywhere, and today are super slow compared to their younger colleagues, which is a bit sad.

That's a good point. I'll definitely heed this advice.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 19, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Not really sure if this is the right place, but I have a small image:

which tiles, and I want it to ripple and wave about. I tried the distort-wave function in photoshop but it doesn't seem to loop properly.

Ideally I'd like to create about 8 frames of animation where it swishes and waves around (it's going to be the pattern of a shadow of a tree canopy being projected on to the floor, so just morphing the shape should help)

Does anyone know how to best go about it? The wave function seems almost perfect, but it just doesn't loop.

like this but smoother and loopable:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/files.facepunch.com/mattisaac/2015/November/19/wave_distortion.mp4

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 19, 2015

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

concerned mom posted:

which tiles, and I want it to ripple and wave about. I tried the distort-wave function in photoshop but it doesn't seem to loop properly.

Ideally I'd like to create about 8 frames of animation where it swishes and waves around (it's going to be the pattern of a shadow of a tree canopy being projected on to the floor, so just morphing the shape should help)

Does anyone know how to best go about it? The wave function seems almost perfect, but it just doesn't loop.

I think I get what you are trying to do ... instead of trying to animate the distort filter settings, can you animate the offset of your tile so that it loops over 8 frames and just apply the same filter settings to each frame?

e: eh, I'm thinking now that it won't look right for your purposes. Problem is the distort filter would need a wavelength offset to allow you to loop a wave.

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 19, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, see the above video. I need it to tile because I'm tiling it like 10 times across a plane, I don't really need it to move anywhere. I just want it to morph around like it's a film over a water surface if that makes sense?

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/files.facepunch.com/mattisaac/2015/November/19/wave_distortion.mp4

Edit: in the video I don't have it on wrap-around but I should do.

Edit: Liquify seems alright but there's no wrap-around function so it will tile horribly.

Can you think of any good way to do it?

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 19, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't think I properly explained what I had in mind. I didn't mean I was going to use one single sheet of paper for the entire thing. I was looking for some type of layered sheeting that you can erase so I don't have to redraw unnecessary things in additional frames. I wasn't planning on doing that with every single frame though. But then again I can just use something like Toon Boom for that I suppose.

EDIT - Realize that "point 2" of that post where I explained things isn't worded correctly.

That's a good point. I'll definitely heed this advice.

If you like the feeling of pencil on paper, then what you do is get yourself a pegbar, a lightbox and animation paper and break down your character movement into non-moving/held elements (like the body) and moving elements (the arm or whatever). This is how limited animation has been done for pretty much ever. Even if you want to do it by erasing and redrawing on the same piece of paper for each moving element, it'll still be necessary to keep multiple sheets in registration with each other. Keep the held body parts on a piece of paper underneath, use a pegbar & lightbox and then you can be relatively sure that things will be in the correct position.

Look into how they did TV animation in the 50s and early 60s. Hanna-Barbera had this down to a science by about 1965.

And yeah, obviously you can do whatever you want, people animate straight-ahead with all kinds of techniques like painting on glass or using moving sand. Crap is absolutely right that charcoal will make erasing a lot easier, but the complication of that is that it's messy and will make a ton of noise when you scan or photograph your drawings.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

concerned mom posted:

Sorry, see the above video. I need it to tile because I'm tiling it like 10 times across a plane, I don't really need it to move anywhere. I just want it to morph around like it's a film over a water surface if that makes sense?

Edit: in the video I don't have it on wrap-around but I should do.

Edit: Liquify seems alright but there's no wrap-around function so it will tile horribly.

Can you think of any good way to do it?

Unless there is a plugin, I don't think there is a nice, non-destructive way to do it in Photoshop.

Do you have After Effects? The effects/filters are keyable, and then you'd just export an image sequence.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

If you like the feeling of pencil on paper, then what you do is get yourself a pegbar, a lightbox and animation paper and break down your character movement into non-moving/held elements (like the body) and moving elements (the arm or whatever). This is how limited animation has been done for pretty much ever. Even if you want to do it by erasing and redrawing on the same piece of paper for each moving element, it'll still be necessary to keep multiple sheets in registration with each other. Keep the held body parts on a piece of paper underneath, use a pegbar & lightbox and then you can be relatively sure that things will be in the correct position.

Look into how they did TV animation in the 50s and early 60s. Hanna-Barbera had this down to a science by about 1965.

And yeah, obviously you can do whatever you want, people animate straight-ahead with all kinds of techniques like painting on glass or using moving sand. Crap is absolutely right that charcoal will make erasing a lot easier, but the complication of that is that it's messy and will make a ton of noise when you scan or photograph your drawings.

Thanks.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

Crap is absolutely right that charcoal will make erasing a lot easier

i didn't say that, i was only providing a reference for them of something similar to what they described wanting to do.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Sorry, misread you there. :shrug:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

concerned mom posted:

After Effects, displacement with a moving pattern as source:

If that's what you want you can use it. Or you could do this in PS by shifting the pattern inside an psd you use as the displacement source for each frame yourself if all else fails.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys that is awesome! I think I might need to make it a bit less vigorous but that's brilliant. I do have pretty much everything Adobe so I'll try AE but that's a great start.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Here's what I've come up with so far, thanks for all your help guys!

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/files.facepunch.com/mattisaac/2015/November/20/temple_20-11-15.mp4

It's a bit extreme right now but I think I've found something I can tweak. I used the photoshop method in the end which is pretty nice.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

concerned mom posted:

Here's what I've come up with so far, thanks for all your help guys!

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/files.facepunch.com/mattisaac/2015/November/20/temple_20-11-15.mp4

It's a bit extreme right now but I think I've found something I can tweak. I used the photoshop method in the end which is pretty nice.

Wow, that really looks great. The style of the models, the HUD sparks, and the sketchy stuttering of the light is really nice.

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.
Got myself an interview to be a video editor at Blackmagic Design on Wednesday. This could be my first paid job if it works out, since I only recently finished college.
Gonna try and make a good impression by making something specially for it to compliment my interview since I don't really have all that much experience to lean on.

Here's the WIP

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

0haiThere posted:

Got myself an interview to be a video editor at Blackmagic Design on Wednesday. This could be my first paid job if it works out, since I only recently finished college.
Gonna try and make a good impression by making something specially for it to compliment my interview since I don't really have all that much experience to lean on.

Here's the WIP

I love the buttons flipping around when it transitions to the second one, that looks slick as hell.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, it looks really good to me. I'm not a video editor or motion graphics guy so I dunno how much my opinion is worth, but I like it.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ccs posted:

Yeah, it looks really good to me. I'm not a video editor or motion graphics guy so I dunno how much my opinion is worth, but I like it.

I'm with this guy. I don't know much about motion graphics, but would it hurt putting a slight vignette on the corners/border? My eye kept wandering around the empty red space and a vignette would keep it centered on that camera.

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'm with this guy. I don't know much about motion graphics, but would it hurt putting a slight vignette on the corners/border? My eye kept wandering around the empty red space and a vignette would keep it centered on that camera.

Like this?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That looks good. Maybe lessen it a bit? I'm sure there are some mo-graph guys who think vignettes are cliche, but they do work. They're not a cardinal sin like default lens flares.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I like it without the vignette but I might like it more if the vignette was at like 15% opacity of what it was above

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hmmm, not so much layered into the center. That makes it look like a warner bros logo with the gradiant change throughout. It should be in the corners only then fade to the bg color. In AE I'd do this by making an oval mask and feathering it so it can't bleed futher than I want.

And lower the opacity like the others said.

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Went to the interview. I didn't get the job, but they were impressed with my portfolios and are considering getting in touch with me to produce some animated stuff for them in the future. Turns out they wanted a jack of all trades who would have more experience in the pre-production/shooting/lighting side of it as well, rather than just purely post-production.

Here's the finished video anyway:
https://vimeo.com/146855600

PearlJamFan
Jun 30, 2008

Don't see some men as half empty, I see them half full of shit.
I made some super quick animations at work, mainly to pass the time on slow days and to make my coworkers laugh.
Enjoy... or don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqPMRHqPfR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Y-iprZGvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW2-Cm_BfBg

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

0haiThere posted:

Here's the finished video anyway:
https://vimeo.com/146855600

well I thought it was a nice and tight reel

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I made this little animation on my spare time. Haven't colored it in yet though, but in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m_J-xgl0rs&feature=youtu.be

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Does anybody know of a place where I can buy a Wacom Intuos 3 surface sheet?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I found this amazing After Effects tutorial on building and animating. I've been trying to explore the Archer style of animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdchrxGITiY

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Ayyyy I just "finished" an "animated short film" It's an epic of lust, starring rats.

https://vimeo.com/151856475

~enjoy~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

More (daily) progress of my film can be seen here (starting today cough): http://nicolemartinfilm.tumblr.com

Work in progress, cleaning it up!! Does anyone have any tips on how to improve one's sense of consistent proportion? As I clean up my animation it seems really clear to me how difficult it is to follow the flow of my rough animation while trying to fix proportion issues. I feel like the clean up version is beginning to look more constricted and tied down with its movement. Maybe writing down little timing charts might help?

edit: Yeah, now that I think it, timing charts would help dramatically in reminding me what the motion is supposed to be amidst the sketchy chaos...

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 17, 2016