Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

rydiafan posted:

How does this guy use those goggles?

its much better than drinking from the wrong grail I can tell you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

its much better than drinking from the wrong grail I can tell you!

You're late

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

drat, first he gets head protection that's hosed up, then when he goes on a treasure hunt he gets the wrong glass and dies of supremely old age.

You may say, that in regards to his career, he chose... poorly.

:haw:

But he also turned out to be more powerful than anyone could imagine.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2034679/

You should totally watch it, it's a great little short film.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

im always late :(

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I think Vader would be a pretty chill boss to directly report to.

He'd want you to do a task and just doesn't give a poo poo how you do it.

He probably spares no expense

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rydiafan posted:

How does this guy use those goggles?

He chose poorly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krinkle posted:

This is really hard to parse, to the point I believe your phone is auto-correcting too much, but I think I get what you're saying, and I don't accept the prequel movies as canon so that whole "there must always be two sith" thing, or the sith in general, to me, is Extended Universe nonsense that doesn't apply.

Like it's really, really dumb to make a club that by definition can only have two members and try to take over the galaxy let alone anything larger than a PTA. Oh you strongarmed jerry into supporting your clone wars initiative but were outvoted again anyway. The macaroon bake sale is back on. Meeting adjourned.

I think people are so stunned by the double whammy of Jar Jar Binks and Jake Lloyd that they've forgotten what Yoda said. He didn't say there were only two Sith, just that there were always two - if you found one, you knew he wasn't alone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nah, it was actually meant to be a literal there's only ever 2 Darths thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really wish Star Wars would be more like the Bioware games where you kinda had both good guys and bad guys on both sides. The Sith are just pretty much evil and the Jedi are good, but it'd be much more interesting if it was like the Jedi are all order and the Sith are all chaos. Like sometimes chaos is evil but not always, sometimes order can be evil too. The Jedi don't allow themselves to fall in love (well they're not supposed to) and you could explore the difference between their philosophies, the Jedi as quiet monks upholding the law, while the Sith are passionate and radical. I wanna see Sith who love each other and use their love to fuel their dark side power. And I wanna see Jedi who are fascists. Anakin pretty much gets there where his passion for Amidala is what gives him power, and the movies do flirt with the idea, but then they always boil down to Sith Evil, Jedi Good because its a movie so morality has to be black and white. :v:

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007

Jedit posted:

I think people are so stunned by the double whammy of Jar Jar Binks and Jake Lloyd that they've forgotten what Yoda said. He didn't say there were only two Sith, just that there were always two - if you found one, you knew he wasn't alone.

Yoda posted:

Always two there are....no more...no less. A master and an
apprentice.

I googled the script. It does appear that there's supposed to be 2 and only 2 Sith at any given time, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense but whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DiseasedTempest posted:

I googled the script. It does appear that there's supposed to be 2 and only 2 Sith at any given time, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense but whatever.

...have you seriously never heard of the rule of two?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_of_Two

Its kinda a big deal and really fundamental to the Sith? Its existed forever so I don't know how you haven't heard of it.

It was a big deal in the old republic era and then kinda fell out for awhile and then kinda came back during the OT and then kinda went away again based on who was writing the time period in question.

Krinkle posted:

This is really hard to parse, to the point I believe your phone is auto-correcting too much, but I think I get what you're saying, and I don't accept the prequel movies as canon so that whole "there must always be two sith" thing, or the sith in general, to me, is Extended Universe nonsense that doesn't apply.

Like it's really, really dumb to make a club that by definition can only have two members and try to take over the galaxy let alone anything larger than a PTA. Oh you strongarmed jerry into supporting your clone wars initiative but were outvoted again anyway. The macaroon bake sale is back on. Meeting adjourned.

Dude the sith are like literally evil wizards. The rule of two says only have two evil wizards, a master wizard and an apprentice wizard to take over his power when he dies (at the hands of the apprentice lol)

Obviously you're still free to have all the henchmen you want, and you can even have an entire Empire with officers and stuff. You just don't train anybody else in the ways of the dark side of the force until one of the two of you bites the dust. Which makes total sense because they're loving Sith and they're chaos wizards and if you have a bunch of them they all end up in-fighting and not accomplishing much.

If you wanted you could have a ton of "Sith Younglings" around even, as long as you don't actually teach them any dark side force powers until one of the two existing sith lords dies.

The only problem I can see with the rule of two at all is what if both of you were killed at the same time.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Nov 20, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
"How have you not heard of this dumb bullshit that only exists in the Star Wars expanded universe?" - A Reasonable Person

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zaphod42 posted:

...have you seriously never heard of the rule of two?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_of_Two

Its kinda a big deal and really fundamental to the Sith? Its existed forever so I don't know how you haven't heard of it.

It was a big deal in the old republic era and then kinda fell out for awhile and then kinda came back during the OT and then kinda went away again based on who was writing the time period in question.

The sources on that page are all expanded universe stuff, though; the only time one of the actual movies is cited, it's to say that Dooku was Yoda's former padawan. The only master-sith we ever see in the movies didn't even follow the rule of two, according to the wiki you just linked. Maybe it's super fundamental to the expanded universe books, but it isn't a big deal in the films, which is what the vast majority of people are familiar with.

e/f/b

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
Yeah...was this rule ever established in the movies, besides the Yoda line I just quoted?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's just one of those stupid things that would have been a good storytelling opportunity but Goerge Lucas refuses to accidentally write something decent.

"Oh, so when the prophecy stated that anakin would bring balance to the force, maybe it actually meant that he would even out the numbers of jedi and sith! Perhaps balance means both philosophies co-existing in equal numbers!"

"No, it just meant the normal way when he killed the emperor."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

e: gently caress youuuuu ^^^^^^^

So Anakin actually came pretty close to being the chosen one to bring balance to the force when he slaughtered the other Jedi and the Jedi kids so there were only a couple light side guys left huh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DiseasedTempest posted:

Yeah...was this rule ever established in the movies, besides the Yoda line I just quoted?

"Was this ever mentioned except the time it was mentioned" :confused:

I don't understand the question. Yoda saying that line was Lucas recognizing the rule of two was a part of Star Wars.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zaphod42 posted:

"Was this ever mentioned except the time it was mentioned" :confused:

I don't understand the question. Yoda saying that line was Lucas recognizing the rule of two was a part of Star Wars.

The point is that you're acting like this is some big deal everyone obviously should've known about when the only reference in the movies (ie: the things that actually matter) is a single throwaway line.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

The point is that you're acting like this is some big deal everyone obviously should've known about when the only reference in the movies (ie: the things that actually matter) is a single throwaway line.

Sorry I assume that with the internet and stuff most people have at least heard a little about the EU if they're into starwars. I haven't read many of the EU books but I've heard a ton of things here and there, like the death of Chewbacca. I would think a lot of people have heard about it (how dumb it was) even though I haven't read the book and I don't think most people have.

Admittedly the whole thing is probably just people trying to retcon and make sense of having tons of Jedi in the prequel trilogy but only a couple Sith in the OT or the prequels. It just became a thing. The relationship between Palpatine and Vader served as a template for the rest of the Sith and it grew from there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

It's just one of those stupid things that would have been a good storytelling opportunity but Goerge Lucas refuses to accidentally write something decent.

"Oh, so when the prophecy stated that anakin would bring balance to the force, maybe it actually meant that he would even out the numbers of jedi and sith! Perhaps balance means both philosophies co-existing in equal numbers!"

"No, it just meant the normal way when he killed the emperor."

The Clone Wars series actually made it that, apparently.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The Clone Wars series actually made it that, apparently.

The good clone wars or the bad clone wars? (God I wish they used different names for them)

AKA the animated one or the CG one?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know. I only read it on that wiki. The newer cartoon, I assume.

Anakin apparently meets literal manifestations of the Dark and Light sides, and another character who keeps them in check. The prophecy is supposed to be that he takes over for the guy or something.

Obviously he does not.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Jesus guys, the prequels are worse then the majority of the extended universe books and that IS saying a lot. Ignore anything that occurs in them and fill in whatever blanks you want as its guaranteed to be better thought out then Lucas's garbage drafts he filmed.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Not being beholden to "canon" is good advice in general. Free your mind.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
If we're going EU, Vader's secret apprentice made 3 total sith during Force Unleashed.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

Jesus guys, the prequels are worse then the majority of the extended universe books and that IS saying a lot. Ignore anything that occurs in them and fill in whatever blanks you want as its guaranteed to be better thought out then Lucas's garbage drafts he filmed.

Actually the prequels are okay and the EU would be better used as toilet paper.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Elfgames posted:

Actually the prequels are okay and the EU would be better used as toilet paper.

No matter how many times Luke "reached out with the force," there are some things you just don't say.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Come to think of it, if you could use the force you wouldn't need toilet paper, would you. Just force push that poop off your butt straight into the 'fresher

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

AnonSpore posted:

Come to think of it, if you could use the force you wouldn't need toilet paper, would you. Just force push that poop off your butt straight into the 'fresher

Sorry, in the Star Wars universe, toilets are called "sani-bowls", as in, "Don't forget to liqui-vacuate the sani-bowl when you're done"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Patattack posted:

Sorry, in the Star Wars universe, toilets are called "sani-bowls", as in, "Don't forget to liqui-vacuate the sani-bowl when you're done"

No they're actually, literally, called 'freshers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

He doesn't know about the three seashells

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Starwars EU is goofy as poo poo. LOok at this loving nonsense:

This picture makes me belly laugh every time I look directly at it. Why are you even blocking his lightsaber just chop his dumb huge tail! You're standing on it! What the heck?
They wrote a book about the only hutt to ever become a jedi how he took over a planet with his powers to make sand storms (don't hutts take over planets anyway? With hookers and blackjack?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krinkle posted:

This picture makes me belly laugh every time I look directly at it. Why are you even blocking his lightsaber just chop his dumb huge tail! You're standing on it! What the heck?

To be fair this is how literally every swordfight in Hollywood looks like to me. Why are you swinging at his sword? Why won't you move your feet? Look, he has his back to you now, why are you waiting instead of taking this gigantic opportunity to kill him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I like the fighting in the matrix because it looks stiff, which should be irritating but actually fits well with the we're-in-a-computer-program story

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

darkhand posted:

I like the fighting in the matrix because it looks stiff, which should be irritating but actually fits well with the we're-in-a-computer-program story

The dojo scene in the first Matrix is still fun as hell to watch, the swoop-swoop-swoop noise that Morpheus makes when switching stances with footwork is still great

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorry I assume that with the internet and stuff most people have at least heard a little about the EU if they're into starwars. I haven't read many of the EU books but I've heard a ton of things here and there, like the death of Chewbacca. I would think a lot of people have heard about it (how dumb it was) even though I haven't read the book and I don't think most people have.

Speaking of book-Chewie how was Chewbacca even handled in the Star Wars books? Like... do authors just always have someone around to translate for him? It just doesn't seem like it would feel right if he had directly translated lines in the book, like "'Oh no, look out, a Storm Trooper!' roared Chewie".

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

El Cid posted:

Speaking of book-Chewie how was Chewbacca even handled in the Star Wars books? Like... do authors just always have someone around to translate for him? It just doesn't seem like it would feel right if he had directly translated lines in the book, like "'Oh no, look out, a Storm Trooper!' roared Chewie".

Yeah usually Han or Lando or whoever just translated for him.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Krinkle posted:

Starwars EU is goofy as poo poo. LOok at this loving nonsense:

They wrote a book about the only hutt to ever become a jedi how he took over a planet with his powers to make sand storms (don't hutts take over planets anyway? With hookers and blackjack?)

Did you want the dumbass answer? Beldorion there had a hypnotic gaze that made jedi minds all clouded and lovely. It didn't work especially well on Leia because she's not a fully trained jedi and she was drugged at the time. So after a second of flailing around because she's not great at lightsabers she does chop him right in half.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

AnonSpore posted:

No they're actually, literally, called 'freshers.

Dammit. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

theironjef posted:

Did you want the dumbass answer? Beldorion there had a hypnotic gaze that made jedi minds all clouded and lovely. It didn't work especially well on Leia because she's not a fully trained jedi and she was drugged at the time. So after a second of flailing around because she's not great at lightsabers she does chop him right in half.

I find it's always really satisfying when the protagonists are hypnotized and drugged to explain their terrible decisions. Thanks for a satisfying end to the mystery.