Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ars is obviously at least a little biased, but they're reporting that it was an issue they found in a single car and are doing it as just a precaution.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/11/tesla-proactively-recalling-90000-model-s-cars-because-of-a-single-fault/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you drove a new Acura with the computer lagging gas pedal you'd hate Acura. They do it to make them drive like a 70s Lincoln but is terrifying to feel gas pedal lag when passing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Guinness posted:

Being FWD definitely prevented it from being a 3-series killer

Most BMW owners are morons who don't know poo poo about poo poo, the Acura would never have been, and will never be, a 3-series killer because Acura will never have the brand cachet of the roundel.

There's two kinds of luxury car buyers: Those who want a comfortable car with all the fixin's and those who want a fashion accessory or status symbol.

Only Lexus among the Japanese has cracked into the second group, and even they don't have the brand value of the German Big Three despite making better vehicles. I haven't driven any modern Acuras but I'm sure that by internet car nerd standards they are awful cars and everyone driving one should hang their head in shame for not buying a manual BMW or Mustang.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 20, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

If you drove a new Acura with the computer lagging gas pedal you'd hate Acura. They do it to make them drive like a 70s Lincoln but is terrifying to feel gas pedal lag when passing.

Drove a newer Caravan a little while ago with a Pentastar. Came around a super sharp bend to merge into 65 mph traffic with about 100 feet to get up to speed. It's got decent power, so combine that with stupid torque steer and awful throttle and transmission lag and it was one of the more disturbing moments I've had driving.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
You guys may find this interesting:

Last night on my way back to the hotel from work, I ran into both the brand new MKZ and a camouflaged Fusion. The Fusion had the electric plug flap on the side so maybe it's the new Fusion Energi BUT interestingly enough, I don't think it is. The MKZ had a full row of extra readouts on the dash making so I think that may have been the MKZ hybrid (or not) but the Fusion had a giant tailpipe and only an extra RPM gauge (you can see the green light from it in the driver's window). Maybe it's the Fusion ST everyone in this thread wants? This was on the 15 in Vegas, right near the strip. I think they were coming from downtown.

Sorry the pictures are blurry but it was hard driving and taking photos at the same time.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 21, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I thought the 2005 TL was such a great looking car. The TSX of that time was a great looking car, and the RSX was a great looking car. Around 2008, Acura started putting hobart meat slicer grilles on everything and killed the RSX and it's just been poo poo after poo poo since then. I really liked their cars but couldn't stomach how expensive they are. Now I just don't care about them.

That new BMW looks really nice. I was all into it until I read front wheel drive why, BMW? Why do you hurt me like this?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys remember when the EPA said the 3.0l V6 diesels were cheating too, and VW denied it? They've stopped denying it and admitted guilt.

http://jalopnik.com/epa-volkswagen-admits-3-0-liter-v6-diesels-violated-em-1743809215

Because the way to get a lighter sentence is to make the cop do more work.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

No, a diesel is absolutely not faster to 60 than a gasoline engine of similar power. Anyone who has driven both in the real world will tell you this. Unless you design a gearbox specifically for the diesel engine, with a super-tall first gear, it's going to run out of breath extremely quickly due to the low rev limit and fall on its face compared to a gasoline engine. You'll need more gear changes to reach 60, which kills it.

As I showed before, this is not the case for the diesel Jetta, the 2.5L gas has 170hp and the 2.0L TDI has only 140hp and is still faster to 60.

pre:
Jetta        2.5 SEL      TDI SEL 
0–30 MPH     2.9 sec      2.7 sec
0–60 MPH     8.9 sec     8.4 sec  <--  DIESEL FASTER TO SIXTY RIGHT HERE L@@@@K!!!!
0–100 MPH    25.0 sec    26.7 sec
0–110 MPH    34.3 sec    37.9 sec
¼-Mile @ MPH 16.7@84     16.5 @ 83 
You need to either find some evidence that proves your assertion or concede that you're wrong. That gas engine has 40 more hp than the diesel and is still slower to 60mph in an otherwise identical car. Torque wins from a stop, HP wins from a roll.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wheeee posted:

There's two kinds of luxury car buyers: Those who want a comfortable car with all the fixin's and those who want a fashion accessory or status symbol.

People love their badges.

I'm sure they enjoy their CLA's and 320i's, though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wheeee posted:

Most BMW owners are morons who don't know poo poo about poo poo, the Acura would never have been, and will never be, a 3-series killer because Acura will never have the brand cachet of the roundel.

Only Lexus among the Japanese has cracked into the second group, and even they don't have the brand value of the German Big Three despite making better vehicles. I haven't driven any modern Acuras but I'm sure that by internet car nerd standards they are awful cars and everyone driving one should hang their head in shame for not buying a manual BMW or Mustang.

Well, duh. One look at truck and SUV sales is all you need to figure out that buyer are easily swayed against their own interest, and the manufacturers know this.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys remember when the EPA said the 3.0l V6 diesels were cheating too, and VW denied it? They've stopped denying it and admitted guilt.

http://jalopnik.com/epa-volkswagen-admits-3-0-liter-v6-diesels-violated-em-1743809215

Because the way to get a lighter sentence is to make the cop do more work.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

edited to not gently caress the tables up

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Superior German engineering!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Locator posted:

Superior German engineering!

With the way VW is going I'm expecting them to admit they cheated about something like MPG numbers and my R will be affected

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

With the way VW is going I'm expecting them to admit they cheated about something like MPG numbers and my R will be affected

What is your R rated at?

If you're in a market where it was sold as 34mpg combined like here there is going to be some cheating involved

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Christobevii3 posted:

I have heard that the throttle lag is partly for emissions. If you can virtually feather the throttle all the time, or at least avoid the zero-to-WOT situation where the AFR gets all messed up for a second, you can eke out an extra percent or two.

Stick that map on the default mode, put the normal mapping on the "sport" mode that is "tuned for extra responsiveness" and no one even knows the difference.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BloodBag posted:

That new BMW looks really nice. I was all into it until I read front wheel drive why, BMW? Why do you hurt me like this?

I have several good friends that are die-hard BMW fans, and every time BMW announces a new non-M model, I like to be there as they read about it. It's awesome watching people get hurt by the ones they love most.

This may say more about me than about my friends, or about BMW.

:shrug:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I really like the new C Class Mercedes compared to anything the competition makes. It isn't because of badges or anything else, I just think it's a legitimately nice car. The C63 is even better because you get a German version of an American muscle car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

oRenj9 posted:

As I showed before, this is not the case for the diesel Jetta, the 2.5L gas has 170hp and the 2.0L TDI has only 140hp and is still faster to 60.

pre:
Jetta        2.5 SEL      TDI SEL 
0–30 MPH     2.9 sec      2.7 sec
0–60 MPH     8.9 sec     8.4 sec  <--  DIESEL FASTER TO SIXTY RIGHT HERE L@@@@K!!!!
0–100 MPH    25.0 sec    26.7 sec
0–110 MPH    34.3 sec    37.9 sec
¼-Mile @ MPH 16.7@84     16.5 @ 83 
You need to either find some evidence that proves your assertion or concede that you're wrong. That gas engine has 40 more hp than the diesel and is still slower to 60mph in an otherwise identical car. Torque wins from a stop, HP wins from a roll.

It's not exactly hard for it to perform better than the boat anchor 2.5L, honestly :v: In the case of the otherwise more powerful engine, I bet the difference is down to gearing.

You can't just take the HP/TQ figures and extrapolate outright performance from that, you need to look at the power curves, gearing, weight and all those other factors.

For instance, look at the B5 Passat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Passat_(B5)#Engines

There is a reasonable spread, but the only gasoline engines that are slower than their diesel equivalents are the boat-anchor 8V engines, which are widely known to be completely shittastic.

And seriously "concede that you're wrong", what is this, some kind of engine spec deathmatch or something? Chill out.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 21, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't believe how many pages you two guys (and only you two) have been having this pissing match.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Etc.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Volkswagen killed small diesels and also their brand and as far as it seems, are continuing to piss on their corpses so it's a pissing match about something that's already decided.

Now, since hot hatches are back and small trucks are also back, when do we get that Hyundai Baja-like small pickup car/truck thing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Volkswagen killed small diesels and also their brand and as far as it seems, are continuing to piss on their corpses so it's a pissing match about something that's already decided.

Now, since hot hatches are back and small trucks are also back, when do we get that Hyundai Baja-like small pickup car/truck thing?

The honda ridgeline is probably gonna show up in detroit.

It's honda, so expect such exciting features as a multi-cylinder internal combustion engine and 4 wheel braking.

The front end seems super duper minivanish though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
They didn't learn their lessons from the last failure?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Toyota has started offering the 2016 Prius for test drives:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonfogelson/2015/11/20/2016-toyota-prius-test-drive-and-review-bring-the-fun/

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2016-toyota-prius-first-drive

http://www.cnet.com/products/2016-toyota-prius/

It looks like largely incremental improvements over the 3rd generation Prius. Plus they're not going to bother offering the AWD option in the US. Plus their stop-and-go adaptive cruise control requires you to push a resume button to get going after it stops. It's like Toyota is barely even trying to recapture what they had with the first decade of the Prius.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

The year is 2016.

The ultimate advanced hybrid car is a Chevy.

Up is down and black is white.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wheeee posted:

The year is 2016.

The ultimate advanced hybrid car is a Chevy.

Up is down and black is white.

Ya, but they have a really hard time actually SELLING them, so as weird as it is, it's also oddly similar to the past twenty years.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think it's more incredible that you can buy an electric luxury sedan that runs a 10-second 1/4 mile.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Powershift posted:

The honda ridgeline is probably gonna show up in detroit.

It's honda, so expect such exciting features as a multi-cylinder internal combustion engine and 4 wheel braking.

The front end seems super duper minivanish though.

So they are using the minivan platform this time?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Enourmo posted:

I think it's more incredible that you can buy an electric luxury sedan that runs a 10-second 1/4 mile.

And economy cars do 0-60 in the 7-8 seconds and people complain they are under powered. Trucks do 0-60 in 5 second range and get the same or better gas mileage of a 90's sports car while having 1600lb bed capacities. World is crazy.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Christobevii3 posted:

And economy cars do 0-60 in the 7-8 seconds and people complain they are under powered. Trucks do 0-60 in 5 second range and get the same or better gas mileage of a 90's sports car while having 1600lb bed capacities. World is crazy.

And yet still when I juice my '99 Miata I out accelerate most people and passengers comment on me having a lead foot.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

blugu64 posted:

And yet still when I juice my '99 Miata I out accelerate most people and passengers comment on me having a lead foot.

People are largely domesticated and governed by anxiety, and accelerating rapidly to 100km/h in a small car with a small engine feels radically different than doing so in a larger, more powerful, and more refined vehicle.

I was just reading an argument between wannabe economists about farm assets and tractors that touched on something which made me start thinking about the car industry: Planned obsolescence.

Cars today last longer than ever simply due to better materials science and production technology, but they don't necessarily hold up as something you'd want to drive forever. Interiors fall apart, are loaded with tech that's obsolete before it rolls off the lot, and are built with transmissions, suspension, and other major components which age poorly and feel like poo poo long before they actually fail. Some are obviously much better (Honda) than others (:911:), with the Germans sitting to the side with cars which rapidly fall apart but which are designed to have major components replaced forever, sort of in a purgatory of being intended to last but being too cheaply built to feasibly do so; but there's one brand for which a vehicle of any era, provided it hasn't been hosed over by previous owners or accidents, have it feel like a solid, safe car: Toyota. Even Hondas, reliable as they are they, started feeling a little chintzy and rapidly dated last decade.

I'm more a used car kinda person and follow new cars more out of a general interest in the industry than as a potential buyer of whatever new poo poo is announced, and while every used car's condition is dependent on how it's been treated, it seems to be that Toyota is the last (Maybe Honda as well?) mainstream manufacturer still interested in building true durable goods rather than disposable.

Or is this all entirely due to bias in my own experience and research?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Toyota is boring as hell, but they hands down make the best cars when it comes to reliability and solidity.

But even if they're boring I love them, especially because when they decide to make an exciting car it turns out to be the best possible car.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheeee posted:

Cars today last longer than ever simply due to better materials science and production technology, but they don't necessarily hold up as something you'd want to drive forever. Interiors fall apart, are loaded with tech that's obsolete before it rolls off the lot, and are built with transmissions, suspension, and other major components which age poorly and feel like poo poo long before they actually fail. Some are obviously much better (Honda) than others (:911:), with the Germans sitting to the side with cars which rapidly fall apart but which are designed to have major components replaced forever, sort of in a purgatory of being intended to last but being too cheaply built to feasibly do so; but there's one brand for which a vehicle of any era, provided it hasn't been hosed over by previous owners or accidents, have it feel like a solid, safe car: Toyota. Even Hondas, reliable as they are they, started feeling a little chintzy and rapidly dated last decade.

I don't think this part is really true any more. There's no way parts support for the techy bits will be like the past, also the Germans lease most of their cars as opposed to selling them so the only benefit to longevity would be for certified pre-owned cars. Even then, you could sell pre-owned microwaved poo poo if it's got the roundel or tri-point embossed in it, because social climbers are desperate people.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Toyota is boring as hell, but they hands down make the best cars when it comes to reliability and solidity.

But even if they're boring I love them, especially because when they decide to make an exciting car it turns out to be the best possible car.

Is that still true though? My 1989 camry was a loving hoss, but some of their newer stuff that wasn't my 2006 prius seems like real poo poo. I went to the Houston auto show and the cars they had on display were really bad for fit & finish. I feel like they are coasting on past reputation and resting on their laurels.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Pretty sure that's market dependent - prices are so low in the US market that quality is inevitably going to suffer.

That said I'm not sure I'd trust the CVT in a newish Corolla to last the distance (but then that's a typical problem with modern autos)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

BloodBag posted:

I feel like they are coasting on past reputation and resting on their laurels.

Of course they are, but at least they've maintained the reliability and durability of their designs, along with their industry-leading production practices. Cheap plastics are off-putting today, but the interior of a new Rav4 is probably going to be doing a whole lot better five years from now than the interior of a Q3 or Escape.

Actually, given that Toyota uses a pretty decent AWD system with a locking center diff, and has a much more reliable power train, the Rav4 is probably also a better general utility and overland vehicle than a Forester despite their disparate marketing images.

dissss posted:

Pretty sure that's market dependent - prices are so low in the US market that quality is inevitably going to suffer.

That said I'm not sure I'd trust the CVT in a newish Corolla to last the distance (but then that's a typical problem with modern autos)

Luckily they still make them with the old 4-speed automatic for all your third-world driving conditions requirements.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Actually, given that Toyota uses a pretty decent AWD system with a locking center diff, and has a much more reliable power train, the Rav4 is probably also a better general utility and overland vehicle than a Forester despite their disparate marketing images.
Apparently that diff disengages at 25 mph. Didn't put up much of a good show in the snow apart from braking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-TQdIqFvZo

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My only problem with Toyota is the same problem shared by any technician who has ever done alignments. The loving rusty tie rods. gently caress.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Friar Zucchini posted:

Apparently that diff disengages at 25 mph. Didn't put up much of a good show in the snow apart from braking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-TQdIqFvZo

It does disengage at 40km/h, yea. Not so much saying the Toyota has a better AWD system as that it appears to have a good enough AWD system combined with not being a Subaru.

With regard to that video, I have no dog in this fight, but any test like this which doesn't standardize tires and test all traction control and stability modes, including disabled (When you just need to get a car moving in Real Winter you generally want those off), is not very useful.

I also understand that Consumer Reports' demographic is the sort of idiot gently caress who can't figure out the controls of a mildly complex microwave or survive a three-inch snowfall without Blizzaks and 4WD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Move somewhere with no rust. :smug: