Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Amergin posted:

After Obama, I'm amazed anyone has any faith in liberal promises made during campaigns.

Which is exactly why I have faith in Bernie's, despite the fact that it won't matter in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Killing someone in the past won't help anything. I already went back and killed Schoen when he was an infant, and instead this Austrian rear end in a top hat turns up. And while the body count is lower it was still horrible. Just leave the past alone man.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're wrong. Hitler was responsible for WW2; not WW1. Hitler, and the goddamned Germans who refused to stand up and kill nazis.

You kill baby Hitler, you kill WW2.

Wrong. Einstein already tried that, WW2 just happened differently.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Killing someone in the past won't help anything. I already went back and killed Schoen when he was an infant, and instead this Austrian rear end in a top hat turns up. And while the body count is lower it was still horrible. Just leave the past alone man.

Answering whether you would have killed someone in the past provides insight into if, when, and how you would kill someone in the future. It was a good question from the moderator.

Wales Grey posted:

Wrong. Einstein already tried that, WW2 just happened differently.

Unfortunately, I think many on SA wish USSR had invaded Europe before, instead of with, Hitler.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Now if you go back in time and kill all the Germans...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unfortunately, I think many on SA wish USSR had invaded Europe before, instead of with, Hitler.
Bullshit

SA is full of third world Maoists, not perfidious soviets

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Bullfrog posted:

White supremacists from /pol/ apparently showed up at the Black Lives Matter protests in Minneapolis last night, armed, and are planning to do so again tonight: https://www.facebook.com/BlackLivesMatterMinneapolis/videos/1010885932288533/

http://pastebin.com/FkA1B2rq

That gentleman on the right quotes Bane from the hit film 'The Dark Knight Rises' at one point.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mr. Wookums posted:

Now if you go back in time and kill all the Germans...

You end up with Bargeron instead. We wiped out his family line and brought Bismark into power for a reason you monster.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Amergin posted:

After Obama, I'm amazed anyone has any faith in liberal promises made during campaigns.

I've been thinking about a name for your shtick, maybe we should call it "farting in the echo chamber"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

This is nonsense. The Treaty of Versailles demanded that reparations be paid in foreign currency so that Germany had to take out loans or move cash out out of currency every time they paid up. Germany got none of this after WW2, and even got a load of debt forgiveness in the 1950s.

It is entirely, 100%, correct. Reparations as the driving force behind WWII was mostly nonsense: Germany could have paid up, but was politically unable to do so because the post-war settlement was regarded as illegitimate by the Germans who believed they'd agreed to an honorable truce, not a surrender.

After WWII Germany was a smoking wreck and was divided half a decade and not even formally sovereign until the 90's.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Filthy Hans posted:

I've been thinking about a name for your shtick, maybe we should call it "farting in the echo chamber"

Thing is, Obama didn't promise much more than "change" during the campaign. He didn't change much, and there is no hope for his legacy, so technically, Amergin is correct.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Bullshit

SA is full of third world Maoists, not perfidious soviets

There's only one type of commie that I know of

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Thing is, Obama didn't promise much more than "change" during the campaign. He didn't change much, and there is no hope for his legacy, so technically, Amergin is correct.

Government is like a Broadway show: you can't blame the director for 2/3 of the ballet troupe refusing to go on stage under the direction of a black man, explicitly because he's a black man. (And also a Muslim, a homosexual, a reptilian, ec cetera.)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Amergin posted:

Fun fact- you can say this about any politician. Bernie, Trump, whoever. Trust No One.

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

Luigi Thirty posted:

Here, have an article about how the children of the elite in Silicon Valley are all killing themselves for some reason that nobody can understand because why aren't you in Harvard yet you stupid bastard.

Sorry to comment so late, but I just wanted to say that the rate of suicidal ideation in silicon valley high schoolers is less than the national average. But hey, why focus on Trauma and poverty nationally when you can focus on some rich kids?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

greatn posted:

Do you have any idea how bad for you baklava is?

Do you have any idea how good baklava is? Esp when they make it with pecans omg.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LiterallyTheWurst posted:

Sorry to comment so late, but I just wanted to say that the rate of suicidal ideation in silicon valley high schoolers is less than the national average. But hey, why focus on Trauma and poverty nationally when you can focus on some rich kids?

How about if nobody kills themselves, or is suicide okay if it's rich kids

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McDowell posted:

Fun fact- you can say this about any politician. Bernie, Trump, whoever. Trust No One.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Looking at individual candidates is like looking at individual chess pieces. The real story is what is moving them. The coalition and forces it exerts are what matters, not the person.

Luigi Thirty posted:

How about if nobody kills themselves, or is suicide okay if it's rich kids

I mean, you are posting on a forum where "kill yourself" is a common rejoinder. What do you think the answer is going to be?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think this has anything to do with emphasis on STEM, but more to do with emphasis on grades over knowledge and commitment. We've called schools out on this for decades, for emphasizing test scores over work quality and commitment.

We need to start to move away from the demand of high grades or no grad, because we're kneecapping our country.

it's definitely the end result of the whole push to 'fix' America's education system by making it more like those run by the industrious Orientals (never mind that East Asian education systems are hot loving garbage and those countries have some of the highest suicide rates in the world)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Oracle posted:

Do you have any idea how good baklava is? Esp when they make it with pecans omg.

It's like 2000 kcals for like a 3cm x 3cm square.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

We could feed the world.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

It is entirely, 100%, correct. Reparations as the driving force behind WWII was mostly nonsense: Germany could have paid up, but was politically unable to do so because the post-war settlement was regarded as illegitimate by the Germans who believed they'd agreed to an honorable truce, not a surrender.

After WWII Germany was a smoking wreck and was divided half a decade and not even formally sovereign until the 90's.

You couldn't be any more wrong about this. t don't how you got "Germans could have paid up but were politically unable to do so" from "defaulting on payments". They were required to give exports as part of reparations and their factories simply couldn't keep up. The second they did default, Allied powers marched in and started seizing national assets. A lot of countries at the time were feeling a financial crunch and were attempting to offload their burdens on Germany. There as passive resistance in the end, but only after the Allies got heavy handed. Remember, the Weimar government accepted the Dawes plan condition of foreign supervision of the Reichsbank.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fool_of_sound posted:

We could feed the world.

There's a reason why the Middle East has one of the highest rates of diabetes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bullfrog posted:

White supremacists from /pol/ apparently showed up at the Black Lives Matter protests in Minneapolis last night, armed, and are planning to do so again tonight: https://www.facebook.com/BlackLivesMatterMinneapolis/videos/1010885932288533/

http://pastebin.com/FkA1B2rq

Maarek posted:

That gentleman on the right quotes Bane from the hit film 'The Dark Knight Rises' at one point.
They also use "dindus" as a slur in real life and it sounds exactly as dumb as you would expect.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

This is nonsense. The Treaty of Versailles demanded that reparations be paid in foreign currency so that Germany had to take out loans or move cash out out of currency every time they paid up. Germany got none of this after WW2, and even got a load of debt forgiveness in the 1950s.

Germany got occupation and partitioning, with extensive ongoing foreign government influence in its politics til the 90s, and permanent loss of 25% of its pre-Hitler territory.

That's actually a good deal more severe than what happened after WWI.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

Germany got occupation and partitioning, with extensive ongoing foreign government influence in its politics til the 90s, and permanent loss of 25% of its pre-Hitler territory.

That's actually a good deal more severe than what happened after WWI.

The United States was willing to float the German economy because of the Cold War, though. Germany was already feeling the shock on its economy before the Great Depression took off, but post WW2 Germany was able to reduce its debt, not give reparations in terms of exports, not get its national assets seized, and still have money left over for the insanely expensive reunification with East Germany.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This cover of LIFE would have run this week in 1963, but they scrapped it to cover some guy getting shot in Dallas.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The United States was willing to float the German economy because of the Cold War, though. Germany was already feeling the shock on its economy before the Great Depression took off, but post WW2 Germany was able to reduce its debt, not give reparations in terms of exports, not get its national assets seized, and still have money left over for the insanely expensive reunification with East Germany.

Floating a bit over a third of the country while a little under a third was domineered by the Soviets and the remaining third ain't even in any form of Germany anymore, is inarguably more severe then having to pay some debts that, under the original terms, would only be due in full by the 1960s (with the timeframe moved up to the 1980s before hitler took over)

To think otherwise is basically some libertarian "money > people" bullshit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Here, have an article about how the children of the elite in Silicon Valley are all killing themselves for some reason that nobody can understand because why aren't you in Harvard yet you stupid bastard.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/12/the-silicon-valley-suicides/413140/

This is the natural endpoint of all the masturbation over STEM schools and STEM classes and STEM STEM STEM. Nobody can have any fun because fun is suboptimal compared to writing apps for your resume so you can get into the top colleges. And if you get a B in chemistry you'll never get into Super Ultra Tech School with an internship with Giant Tech Corp and you might as well step in front of a CalTrain.

An unfortunate but ultimately necessary sacrifice for the capitalist free market. :911:

As they say, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Alternatively,

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED .

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Fried Chicken posted:

no, it isn't. Setting aside the logical fallacy of trying to discredit the point in that way, it goes directly to how he views the optimal solution and in what context he views tools to achieve that end, which is highly relevant to discussing how he evaluates policy. Would you dismiss Richard Wolff's proposals vs Ha-Join Chang's on those grounds?
except he wasn't invoked on the basis of name, he was invoked for providing a policy solid criticism.

Did something happen that we attracted a lot of newcomers to this thread? Because trying to drop these kind of purity arguments on the regulars here is kind of wide-eyed.
you seem to have no idea what I am talking about and vice versa, but that's fine, I'm now more interested in "Richard Wolff's proposals vs Ha-Join Chang's" because what little I've seen of either of them is not bad at all

e: "purity arguments"?

stephenfry fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 21, 2015

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

As they say, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Alternatively,

We're making the mother of all omelets here, Jack! Can't fret over every egg!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

This cover of LIFE would have run this week in 1963, but they scrapped it to cover some guy getting shot in Dallas.

:rip: 2Pac

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

An 8%+ democratic vote margin is the threshold to flip the house. Lower for the Senate.

I'm 9 pages back, but let's pause a moment and meditate on how hosed up this is.

Joementum posted:

Could re-use the headline too.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 21, 2015

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

Hey, they could reuse one of those articles today as is. How convenient.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

greatn posted:

The gently caress? is it made by the elves from LOTR

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Another interesting historical point is that Teddy White, author of that "Negro Demands" article was also the author of the popular "Making of the President" series of books, regarded as the foundation of the campaign saga book.

His "Making of the President 1964" created the "Camelot" myth surrounding the Kennedy White House, after Jackie pushed him to include a lot of favorable posthumous interviews.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joementum posted:

They really dodged a bullet in that case.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You could probably get away with selling that "negro demands" article to Fox or Brietbart and get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Hey, they could reuse one of those articles today as is. How convenient.

Will those Wanamaker deb party scandals never cease?

• Locked thread