Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ensign Expendable posted:

Look at those savage Slavics with their big hats and silly language, I bet they aren't very good at war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

what is the proper French pronunciation of Huguenots anyway? Something like 'oog-no'?

ennemi de l'État

edit: ^^ :argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deteriorata posted:

It's pronounced "hérétique"
:golfclap:

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

while i was learning german, i spent a while confusing the word for heretic (ketzer) and the word for candle (kerze)

Finish the sentence "We burn the ____ tonight"

Also, how large are the radius/diameter of Renaissance pikes? The quarterstaves I've been using are huge. Several centimetres at least. I can't wrap my fingers around to touch the heel of my hand,

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

Finish the sentence "We burn the ____ tonight"

Also, how large are the radius/diameter of Renaissance pikes? The quarterstaves I've been using are huge. Several centimetres at least. I can't wrap my fingers around to touch the heel of my hand,
about an inch and a half or smaller, they've got to be thin otherwise they're too heavy to do anything with

and yes, the joke is both will light

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Did heretics burn often? I've heard witch burnings were rare, because the wood was expensive, so would they find some way that offs the heretic cheaply?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

This is a great picture, thank you!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

http://i.imgur.com/JdIqPUP.webm

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 21, 2015

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The ugliest Oktoberfest waitress ever.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

posting 70MB gifs is an act of terrorism

save it for some other thread

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

I always thought a mustache ride would be... different.

Sorry, a MOUSSEtache ride.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HEY GAL posted:

about an inch and a half or smaller, they've got to be thin otherwise they're too heavy to do anything with

How heavy is the head? Does the wood bend, and is the pike made with a spine so it can be oriented to reduce bending?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

try early 16th century

then from the reign of philip II onward it's just :suicide101:

Waiiitttt a minute

Spain had huge mines that brought lots and lots of gold and silver. How in the name of Oliver Cromwell does that result in macroeconomic fuckery?

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Waiiitttt a minute

Spain had huge mines that brought lots and lots of gold and silver. How in the name of Oliver Cromwell does that result in macroeconomic fuckery?

They spent it faster than it came in. The royal revenue was promised to bankers for years in advance. And they didn't understand inflation. Ended up going bankrupt repeatedly.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Can anyone talk about civil war troop transport by rail?
I'm reading a book about my CSA ancestor and I was surprised about the level of rail transport he does (hes the acting colonel of the unit at this point) before and after the battle of Shiloh. It seems like this use of railroads is pretty unique up until this time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Waiiitttt a minute

Inflation results from too much money chasing too few goods. Bringing in shiploads of gold and injecting it straight into the economy just made prices go up without creating any actual wealth.

There was no paper money, it was all straight metal. Economics was not well understood.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Can anyone talk about civil war troop transport by rail?
I'm reading a book about my CSA ancestor and I was surprised about the level of rail transport he does (hes the acting colonel of the unit at this point) before and after the battle of Shiloh. It seems like this use of railroads is pretty unique up until this time.

Railroads in the CSA were a mess. It was not organized for interstate passenger movement, it was mostly local hub-and-spokes systems to get crops to ports.

There were significant problems with gauges, as well. Each state had its own standard, and rail cars generally couldn't cross state lines. This was often enforced by state laws even when the gauges matched - teamsters and hoteliers made a good living unloading rail cars, hauling the goods and people across the border, then loading up a new train.

States' Rights also applied to armed forces. They could not cross state lines without obtaining permission from the governor first. With well-planned movements, this could be done in advance and wasn't much problem. Without good planning, though, the troops would have to cool their heels at the border for anywhere from a few hours to a couple weeks, depending on the state of the telegraph lines and roads.

Things got somewhat better as time went on, but the Confederacy itself was falling apart by that point and attempts at fixing the railroad problems were spotty at best.

This was one of the major factors in the North winning the war, actually. The Union had a sophisticated railroad network for moving crops from the western states to the highly populated east coast, and passenger service along with it. They also had a sophisticated inland navy, to move troops on rivers efficiently. The GAR named its armies after rivers for a reason.

The Union had a lot of advantages, but its ability to move troops and keep them well-supplied was pretty important.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_railroads_in_the_American_Civil_War has more details.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You know when right-wingers moan about the Fed printing money? Obtaining a bunch of gold is its equivalent in a gold based economy. Which is fine to an extent because you are getting out of a horrible deflationary economy everyone with finite gold reserves is in, but could easily go too far. (The lack of control over the production of money is one of the reasons why the gold standard is stupid.)

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
From what I've read of Wilson and other authors Spain's financial woes were almost entirely due to grossly bloated military budgets that were funded by a shrinking tax base and credit from Genoa. The actual income from the silver was significant, but its more important value was that it allowed the crown to borrow more and more money based on the expectation of future shipments. This turned out to be a problem in the long term, but the Italians were willing to let the Spanish get further and further into debt because they were too busy making money off of Spain's business. For example, Spain and Genoa also had a tight relationship in the Mediterranean where the Spanish contracted the Genoese to supply galleys and crews for their navy. Naturally, the Italians used this position to engage in a lot of side business such as using the galleys for merchant shipping (and possibly some piracy). I'm leaving a ton of stuff out because I don't know enough about it to speak in any way, but I'm sure the Spanish Road was another source of revenue for the Genoese because anytime Spain wants to send another army to fight in the Netherlands they have to start out in Genoa.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is possibly a silly question but if there was some sort of military enemy trying to take over New York, how long would it take for the US Army to muster together an in force brigade sized response?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is possibly a silly question but if there was some sort of military enemy trying to take over New York, how long would it take for the US Army to muster together an in force brigade sized response?

The NYPD is like the equivilant of a Guards Tank Army.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

The NYPD is like the equivilant of a Guards Tank Army.SS division.

Better uniforms than the soviets.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nominally it's 18 hours before the 82nd Airborne Division (North Carolina) and the 75th Ranger Regiment (Georgia) are en route to their destination anywhere in the world. They're America's "on-call" rapid deployment forces. New York would probably be quite a bit faster since the existing 42nd Infantry Division is based there (Army National Guard) and it's pretty big. There's also some 20,000 NYPD civilian police officers, some of which are quite well-trained and equipped for urban combat. The US Navy has pulled stakes on their New York port, but there's a massive joint air/naval base in New Jersey with some 44,000 personnel on site.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deteriorata posted:

There was no paper money, it was all straight metal. Economics was not well understood.
although Spain did make an attempt to create a fiat currency, coins made of something called vellon, which would only be accepted for use inside Spain. It was unpopular.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

feedmegin posted:

Well, not necessarily forced to fight for the Germans, in reality. I mean, the Soviets had already annexed their country once just a few years earlier, it was pretty obvious that it wasn't going to be sunshine and butterflies there after the Germans were defeated.

I'm late to this too, but I wanted to point out that anyone interested in SS recruits, especially on the Eastern from should check out "The Unknown Eastern Front" by Rolf-Dieter Müller.

I don't know if he's credible or not (I figure he is, since I've never heard his name mentioned), but the book goes over the many different countries the Germans "liberated"/annexed. It talks about the different types of recruitment, numbers of recruits, what action/combat they saw and where, and so on.

The book divides the "volunteers" into three major categories and then classification and so on, starting with the "original" allegiance of the native country (ie: Finland - Allied || France - Neutral/Occupied || Estonia - Anti-Stalin)

Very brief summary of the Estonia part:
-Germans welcomed as liberators during Operation Barbarossa
-Thousands of Estonians waged a guerrilla war against the Russians, preventing or delaying the scorched earth tactics there
-By Sep 1941, 5000 men had volunteered for service with the Germans. These were formed into 6 security departments, later becoming 3 battalions
-General mobilization during winter of 42'-43', with those joining able to choose: SS legion, Auxiliary Wehrmacht, or Factory Worker
-Above mobilization yielded: 5,300 men to the Legion, 6,800 to the Wehrmacht. No number give for factory worker.
-Some men chose to go to evade recruitment in Estonia and join the Finnish army, although numbers appear to be small.
-Autumn 1943, second call up yields 3,375 men fit for active duty.
-Late January 1944 produces only 900 men
-With the threat of Soviet invasion in late '44, 30,000 men mobilize and are organized into national units.
-1944: Germans have 60,000 Estonians in there ranks. Russians have 30,000 Estonians in their ranks.

Estonians in German units:
-5k in the Wehrmacht
-20k in Waffen SS
-20k in SS frontier guards
-9k in Schutzmannschaft and police
-Several thousand in self-defense and other units

About 15k Estonians died fighting alongside the Germans.

The Russians are reported to have killed or deported 30,000 Estonians between 1944-45. Another 80,000 Estonians were deported between 1946 and 1953.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jobbo_Fett posted:

-Some men chose to go to evade recruitment in Estonia and join the Finnish army, although numbers appear to be small.

I'd never heard about this so I did some digging in Finnish and there were around 3300 Estonian volunteers in the Finnish army (most of them in JR200) in 1943-1944.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
And then Finland did the honourable thing and handed them over to USSR. :commissar:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
People were talking about the inaccurate Soviet infantry tactics last page, and they're right, but I think showing off a realistic infantry attack just doesn't film well for what we think of as a war movie. A bunch of Russians crawling in as close as possible the night before and an attack being opened up with an artillery barrage or a volley of grenades out of nowhere isn't exactly a way to show off anyone's heroism. It also is kinda boring in film to see tanks sitting back and blasting any flashes they see.

It's like how in a movie about the war in Afghanistan you see Taliban soldiers rushing across open fields rather than the more typical long range rocket/mortar harassment.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hazzard posted:

Did heretics burn often? I've heard witch burnings were rare, because the wood was expensive, so would they find some way that offs the heretic cheaply?

Not really. Europe was heavily forested then and its not like wood is that hard to find now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

The NYPD is like the equivilant of a Guards Tank Army.

Uh how many M1s, MLRS and tac nukes does it have :stonk:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kaal posted:

Nominally it's 18 hours before the 82nd Airborne Division (North Carolina) and the 75th Ranger Regiment (Georgia) are en route to their destination anywhere in the world. They're America's "on-call" rapid deployment forces. New York would probably be quite a bit faster since the existing 42nd Infantry Division is based there (Army National Guard) and it's pretty big. There's also some 20,000 NYPD civilian police officers, some of which are quite well-trained and equipped for urban combat. The US Navy has pulled stakes on their New York port, but there's a massive joint air/naval base in New Jersey with some 44,000 personnel on site.

Thanks! This is good.

quote:

People were talking about the inaccurate Soviet infantry tactics last page, and they're right, but I think showing off a realistic infantry attack just doesn't film well for what we think of as a war movie. A bunch of Russians crawling in as close as possible the night before and an attack being opened up with an artillery barrage or a volley of grenades out of nowhere isn't exactly a way to show off anyone's heroism. It also is kinda boring in film to see tanks sitting back and blasting any flashes they see.

It's like how in a movie about the war in Afghanistan you see Taliban soldiers rushing across open fields rather than the more typical long range rocket/mortar harassment.

The main problem I have is that a movie like this might exacerbate the "human wave" myth of the Red Army and there's gotta be a better compromise.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How does the pike part of the shot-and-pike era compare to other massed pole-arms throughout history? Is there a reason why the long-pole phalanx of Alexander and his successors would've been outdated besides not having guns? I don't know jack about polearms.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The main problem I have is that a movie like this might exacerbate the "human wave" myth of the Red Army and there's gotta be a better compromise.

I don't see how it would exacerbate that myth. Showing actual tactics from the Soviets would be much better than a movie like Enemy At The Gates, where the only depiction of a battle is hundreds of Red Army soldiers frontally attacking a machine gun with no tanks or artillery supporting them.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Not really. Europe was heavily forested then and its not like wood is that hard to find now.

Europe is more heavily forested today than it was then. Deforestation really got out of hand in the late medieval period.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

VanSandman posted:

How does the pike part of the shot-and-pike era compare to other massed pole-arms throughout history? Is there a reason why the long-pole phalanx of Alexander and his successors would've been outdated besides not having guns? I don't know jack about polearms.

OK imagine the phalanx except instead of Greek clothes everyone looks like a bad circus clown. And instead of shields they are holding their dicks & jacking off about how great they are.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hazzard posted:

Man, you where wrong. Or heard about the wrong witch burnings.

I've read about a case where an overzealous inquisitor burned about 1/5th of the population in a town with aproximately 5000 citizens. Including the wife of the mayor and the mayor himself. He then essentially ruled the town with an iron first until the pope excommunicated him and send a small army to catch him.

He was then burned at the stake, too. For being a heretic.

Then most of the surviving population died in the following winter, because all those witch burnings had eradicated the forest around the city, so everyone froze to death.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

Man, you where wrong. Or heard about the wrong witch burnings.

I've read about a case where an overzealous inquisitor burned about 1/5th of the population in a town with aproximately 5000 citizens. Including the wife of the mayor and the mayor himself. He then essentially ruled the town with an iron first until the pope excommunicated him and send a small army to catch him.

He was then burned at the stake, too. For being a heretic.

Then most of the surviving population died in the following winter, because all those witch burnings had eradicated the forest around the city, so everyone froze to death.
earlymodern.txt

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I thought witches were hanged, and only heretics were burned.

Did I make that up?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

I thought witches were hanged, and only heretics were burned.

Did I make that up?

I don't think there was a distinction. The Catholic Church only demanded that they be executed in a manner which did not involve the shedding of blood, which meant hanging/burning/garroting/whatever.

Local customs probably influenced the exact choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Don't forget drowning and crushing!

• Locked thread