Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Am I missing out on something by not building my settlements? Every time I open the crafting menu I'm like :effort: and just jam all my junk into my safe.

I enjoyed the game much more after building a two story cube of a home. It adds a little to your exploration when you spot something that would look good on your kitchen table. All you have to do is decorate the walls with cat pictures and youre set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Akion posted:

I was wondering if I was going crazy or not. Didn't NV have holstered guns?
yep, it even had mods to add actual holsters for pistols and stuff
i really don't know why they removed this, tbh

maybe something to do with power armor holstering? i dunno but it sucks rear end

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FateFree posted:

I enjoyed the game much more after building a two story cube of a home. It adds a little to your exploration when you spot something that would look good on your kitchen table. All you have to do is decorate the walls with cat pictures and youre set.

Yeah but, why would I ever be "home"? I don't want to be inside a filthy, grimy, lovely "new" home, hear terrible voice actors repeat the same five lines of dialogue over and over while they awkwardly shuffle around and loop the same animation until the end of time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Mostly just to pretty up your merchant/storage/workbench/bed/power armor storage hub, plus building settlement stuff gives you some hefty experience when you get into it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Akion posted:

Yes, both previous games had holstered guns, if by holstered you mean "looks like a gun was awkwardly superglued directly to your back or side." I don't understand why anyone would miss that ugly poo poo.

Calaveron posted:

Am I missing out on something by not building my settlements? Every time I open the crafting menu I'm like :effort: and just jam all my junk into my safe.

They're good for moneymaking schemes like the purified water thing or merchants. And your settlers scavenge junk that you can use for stuff like mods. That's all I can think of offhand.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Calaveron posted:

You can get free food, water, junk, and caps from them, plus additional vendors to buy/sell at. In general they can make the crafting side of the game less stressful, but you're not missing out on much if you skip them entirely. It's possible to get all the mods you want from random drops if you're patient and good about paying attention to what you find.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does wearing power armor negate the effects of anything you wear underneath it? Someone was saying you would get the charisma bonus, but what about like armor bonuses and stuff?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

PSA: don't make the mistake I made - don't keep all your followers at your main crafting/hub settlement. Unless you really, really like hearing Strong never stop loving talking while you're doing menu poo poo. Next time I turn the game on I'm exiling that piece of poo poo to the most remote settlement I have. Probably Deacon and Cait too. Just shut your loving mouths for half a goddamn minute holy poo poo.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but, why would I ever be "home"? I don't want to be inside a filthy, grimy, lovely "new" home, hear terrible voice actors repeat the same five lines of dialogue over and over while they awkwardly shuffle around and loop the same animation until the end of time.

I go out adventuring, and then when my ankles are about to explode I fast travel back to my settlement, sell all my garbage outside my house with my crafted stores, buy whatever ammo is in stock for my favorite gun, then go to my house, dump any aid items or quest items or decorations, take a nap in my bed, and rinse repeat!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
A disturbing thing happened in one of the police precincts while hunting for Eddie's tapes. I went into the archives, and noticed the dead body of a raider on the floor even though I could've sworn I hadn't killed anybody in there yet. I was sneaking around and I get "spotted" by somebody even though nobody's in line-of-sight... Nick starts firing at a guy across the room so I guess it must be him. So he gets killed but Nick is still shooting at something, and I notice that what he's shooting at is the dead body. It starts making pain noises, and it slowly dawns on me that a raider has managed to get wedged face-down into the floorboards in a painful looking heap.

I put him out of his misery but can't loot him, so I swipe the body with a deathclaw gauntlet until bloody chunks shoot out of the floor that I can loot.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Thanks to the wonders of trying to make a beta male radio announcer less of a bitch, I have accidentally created a group of immortals

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Think I might be the only one who prefers stammering awkward DJ to his confident self. It's what made him unique.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Think I might be the only one who prefers stammering awkward DJ to his confident self. It's what made him unique.

yeah he was better as a twerp he's just boring now

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

PSA: don't make the mistake I made - don't keep all your followers at your main crafting/hub settlement. Unless you really, really like hearing Strong never stop loving talking while you're doing menu poo poo. Next time I turn the game on I'm exiling that piece of poo poo to the most remote settlement I have. Probably Deacon and Cait too. Just shut your loving mouths for half a goddamn minute holy poo poo.

I kind of want to exile Preston now because for some reason a set of power armor I have was tagged as stolen so every time I do anything with it he gets all judgy about it. It doesn't matter really, but it's MY settlement Preston.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Deified Data posted:

:agreed: radio announcer morty is much better than generic dick jockey

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Any kind of seriousness in saying goodbye to Shaun when blowing up the institute was lost when I went to put him out of his pain and he exploded in caps.

Anyhow after doing the story with CHA/LUCK thoughts:

Charisma relives tedium of having to change clothes to pass checks and is really kinda fun to incite and hide. Over all though half the perk tree may be useless for you. With high CHA you already get better prices in shops, if you have a companion then the dogmeat/lone wanderer perks are useless, if you take no-one at all the companion/dogmeat perks are useless the exception being dogmeat can have his perks and lone perks. Party boy is situational and tbh I never drunk as companion perks allow them to carry more so I didn't need the extra strength, and had max charisma. Overall you only really need local leader, the incitement is fun and if you aren't very combat oriented can help buy taking several enemies out of the fight for you.

Luck is great, never run out of money or ammo with scrounger and cap collector and the little explosion is cute if kinda weak in amount, I think like 14 caps burst out of a synth at least you don't have to pick up each cap you click one you pick up all. Bloody mess is just better damage with silly great gore. Mysterious stranger can be a saviour with this build by just finishing off something you can't and companions will comment on him appearing. (Slightly buggy is that enemies near the MS will turn and target him so you have a few seconds for them to retarget you after he does a kill.) Criticals though are a major way to deal with hard encounters with you banking 3 and using them to destroy/cripple almost anything, as they should be 2x as effective with another luck perk. You should also use VATS to get the most of criticals but also your kills and sometimes just your hits will lead to more criticals and more AP to murder train at higher levels.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 21, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

I kind of want to exile Preston now because for some reason a set of power armor I have was tagged as stolen so every time I do anything with it he gets all judgy about it. It doesn't matter really, but it's MY settlement Preston.

I found a trick for that: Preston doesn't mind wearing stolen power armor himself, so if you want to add/remove parts of it you just have to have him or another follower get in it, and then pull the parts from his trade menu :pseudo:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Akion posted:

New Vegas did, and there was one quest involving the Kings where if you didn't holster your gun you got shot at immediately.

As far as I knew it was the only such quest.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Icedude posted:

I found a trick for that: Preston doesn't mind wearing stolen power armor himself, so if you want to add/remove parts of it you just have to have him or another follower get in it, and then pull the parts from his trade menu :pseudo:

I see the old Skyrim tricks still work. :v:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
if you have an AMD card and have not already installed the newest beta drivers you should do right now, biiiiiiiig performance increase for fallout 4. i can actually walk around lexington without it being a slide show now.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shannow posted:

Is there a way to get more people to a settlement? I've 2 radio beacons at the Starlight drive in open air market square, about 35 beds, plenty food/water yet never seem to get more than 16 settlers and that's with sending them from other locations.

In other news my aluminum drought was gloriously fixed by discovering the fish packing plant with about 80 aluminum trays scattered about the place, i really hope these regenerate.

What are those tarp-covered pieces with the cinderblock half walls?

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
I love this gun and I love the completely ridiculous silencer.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

stores. You earn caps off them.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Magmarashi posted:

Cimber posted:

Those aren't stores, they're for trade caravans to stop at, i get the doctor, weapons merchant and armour merchant from bunker hill dropping by.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
How do you go to the 2nd page of data entries on terminals? I'm reading journal entries and a couple go onto a further page but I can't figure out how to advance the page. (PC)

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Oddity posted:

How do you go to the 2nd page of data entries on terminals? I'm reading journal entries and a couple go onto a further page but I can't figure out how to advance the page. (PC)

Tap 'e'.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cimber posted:

Those don't look like any of the three tiers of store available

Shannow posted:

Those aren't stores, they're for trade caravans to stop at, i get the doctor, weapons merchant and armour merchant from bunker hill dropping by.

What category are they under? I've never seen them in the menus

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

Those don't look like any of the three tiers of store available

What category are they under? I've never seen them in the menus

Settlement shops are under the big cash register icon in the build menu, second to last I think.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Um, buddy I appreciate you giving my power armor a check up, but you don't actually have a Pip-Boy. Where did you even get that wire?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Settlement shops are under the big cash register icon in the build menu, second to last I think.

:sigh: I've checked them already and none of them have the red tarp-covered structure with the cinderblocks. Unless they're some sort of secret special unlock for doing something, in which cause it would be much more useful to tell me how to get them.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Whats even the point of the Assault Rifle when the Combat Rifle outclasses it completely? Am I missing something about it?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Sankis posted:

Whats even the point of the Assault Rifle when the Combat Rifle outclasses it completely? Am I missing something about it?

it has a massive clip size with the large clip, so it is vastly better than the combat rifle at full auto

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kalaxus posted:

Do Raiders also use these firebases? could Explain why I keep getting shelled while hidden with no mobs in sight. Was assuming I was falling victim to some scripted super sniper w/ mini-nuke launcher, like Minefield quest in NV. Hope it is firebase, so I can just take that out before assaulting Lexington. Tried several different approaches so far, different streets and elevations, all ended with sudden mini-nuke death while hidden.. Fusion Core too low to bring in the Power Armor, or I'm sure this would be much simplier
There's a raider in power armor with a fat man, on a walkway above your head. Try sneaking and staying in the shadows, and look upwards and tap VATS with a gun that has 200 range or so, you'll be able to spot her. I wouldn't try her at your level. ;)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of annoying how frequently enemies have lights positioned in their bases/settlements to blind or mess with the player but you can't shoot them out

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Calaveron posted:

You're foaming at the mouth for something that only happens if you make Sanctuary your home. I'm at the drive in and the only time people talk at me is when they first arrive, or when I trade with them.

Just move away from the sanctuary named NPCs (or move them somewhere else) and enjoy the classical music on the jukebox while you're repairing power armor and stacking basketballs.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

coyo7e posted:

and stacking basketballs.
Note for later: convert drive-in to massive basketball court

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sperglord Firecock posted:

it has a massive clip size with the large clip, so it is vastly better than the combat rifle at full auto

But 5.56 is also much harder to get in bigger numbers compared to .45

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

Deified Data posted:

I am a huge fan of the awkward DJ.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I guess in a perfect world where the player has enough ammo for whatever rifle he chooses, or both at the same time, the Assault Rifle would be a better weapon, but the entire point of this comparison would be in all situations, not just the perfect situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Caravan stops?? How do you get those?

• Locked thread