Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lornekates posted:

I can't believe these Patreons control the fate of the Middle East.

Thanks now I need to go put that trailer on loop for another 2 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

KKall posted:

Ah made a fing about a Jared Leto moovee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dOuLR-BkI

The time reversal thing is outdated science thing, I'm pretty sure I read about it in a Stephen Hawking pop sci book in middle school. The big bang was a point of low entropy due to the large net movement of the entire universe, and entropy increases over time (eggs scramble, stars burn out, etc.) The idea goes that a big crunch would produce a large net movement of the entire universe and be a reversal of entropy's tendency to increase, and so time goes backwards. Or something.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Hobo By Design posted:

The time reversal thing is outdated science thing, I'm pretty sure I read about it in a Stephen Hawking pop sci book in middle school. The big bang was a point of low entropy due to the large net movement of the entire universe, and entropy increases over time (eggs scramble, stars burn out, etc.) The idea goes that a big crunch would produce a large net movement of the entire universe and be a reversal of entropy's tendency to increase, and so time goes backwards. Or something.

How outdated though? This is a movie that came out in 2009, remember.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Compendium posted:

I would say that this thread is starting to consume itself, but it's always consuming itself.

The Internet Critic Discussion thread is an ouroboros.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Just as the AV Club steps in to defend the prequels, I throw them out and re-write them. The Jedi are now a secret society, and more!

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

KKall posted:

I don't know if there's a hard-proven reason why it's outdated, other than the fact the universe probably isn't going to crunch (which has been known since the early 2000's). It wasn't a big set-in-stone idea before that, either. A Brief History of Time mentions it, I think Roger Penrose argued against it in one of his books.

Hobo By Design fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 18, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Hobo By Design posted:

I don't know if there's a hard-proven reason why it's outdated, other than the fact the universe probably isn't going to crunch (which has been known since the early 2000's). It wasn't a big set-in-stone idea before that, either. A Brief History of Time mentions it, I think Roger Penrose argued against it in one of his books.

Even earlier, when scientists discovered the expansion of the universe is accelerating.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wasn't it semi-recently that scientists realized there's just shitloads of dark energy and matter making up the universe, with only like 5-10% being made up of "normal" matter that we can see? Meaning that the universe will end with the saddest of whimpers when expansion reaches the point where everything is just lone, frozen atoms drifting in the void with nothing around them to interact with.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I believe the generally accepted theory nowadays is that, yeah, the universe is probably going to expand until atoms become free protons, neutrons, and electrons, which become free quarks, until everything is so far spread apart nothing may as well exist at all. Like that god-race in Star Trek who committed suicide through the same means.

Happy Wednesday!

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 18, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Lovecraft ain't got poo poo on modern physics.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

On the other hand there's also the possibility that we really don't know poo poo about the universe and we're just grasping feabilly at straws to comprehend something far beyond the scope of our own tiny perspectives. Maybe when the Universe gets big enough the law of thermodynamics just stops giving a poo poo and starts following Gurren Lagann rules? Maybe gravity is replaced by cotton candy? Maybe when our universe gets too big we are all taken to another universe and drafted into the skeleton war? There's no way of knowing for sure, really.

That doesn't excuse poor storytelling and self-contradictory waxing philosophical though

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 18, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Augus posted:

On the other hand there's also the possibility that we really don't know poo poo about the universe and we're just grasping feabilly at straws to comprehend something far beyond the scope of our own tiny perspectives. Maybe when the Universe gets big enough the law of thermodynamics just stops giving a poo poo and starts following Gurren Lagann rules? Maybe gravity is replaced by cotton candy? Maybe when our universe gets too big we are all taken to another universe and drafted into the skeleton war? There's no way of knowing for sure, really.

That doesn't excuse poor storytelling and self-contradictory waxing philosophical though

So basically Lovecraft still don't got poo poo on the things we can and can't figure out?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Augus posted:

On the other hand there's also the possibility that we really don't know poo poo about the universe and we're just grasping feabilly at straws to comprehend something far beyond the scope of our own tiny perspectives.

Almost certainly true.

quote:

Maybe when the Universe gets big enough the law of thermodynamics just stops giving a poo poo and starts following Gurren Lagann rules? Maybe gravity is replaced by cotton candy? Maybe when our universe gets too big we are all taken to another universe and drafted into the skeleton war? There's no way of knowing for sure, really.

It'll be something crazy that no one thought of. Who would have come up with applying an obscure bit of geometry - a hyperbolic 4d rotation - to reality? Einstein, that's who, but he needed the groundwork laid by Lorentz and everyone else to realize that this toy concept actually had real value (though a lot of credit needs to go to Minkowski.)

quote:

Yup, you only get to break the rules of storytelling if you're so good at storytelling that you can make everything else around your rulebreaking make storytelling sense.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Lovecraft ain't got poo poo on modern physics.

Ain't that the truth!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Jontron video! And Walmart Commercial! All in one! Hu....rrrraaaayyyyy........?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCgsfZWMzHs

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

BigglesSWE posted:

Jontron video! And Walmart Commercial! All in one! Hu....rrrraaaayyyyy........?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCgsfZWMzHs

At least he sold out with an event that let his fans come out and be a part. Good for him for collecting that fat money sack.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

echopapa posted:

Just as the AV Club steps in to defend the prequels, I throw them out and re-write them. The Jedi are now a secret society, and more!

I've often thought it would be fun to have writing contests where people rewrite reviled parts of beloved series-- write a better prequel, write a better Indy IV, rewrite the finale of almost any major TV sci-fi to see if you can make it not terrible, etc. Nearly every fan idea I've heard for how the prequels could have been written seems more entertaining than what we got.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

KKall posted:

There was a Red Dwarf episode about it in 1989. It had things going backwards, and a poop joke. Use your imagination. Or this image:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh yeah, and Kyle, I wanted to say, despite me not quite getting the existentialism talk, I really liked how you framed it using Skyrim. I think I'll watch that part again so I can better my understanding of it and for fun. :)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I actually understood a BHH episode though! I guess the 3/4ths of a year we spent dedicated to existentialist literature and film in high school was worth something.

E: Maybe "understood" is a bad choice or words. Kyle always does a great job of presenting his stuff so I can understand what he's saying, I guess I more meant "had the background to appreciate" or something.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 19, 2015

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

At least he sold out with an event that let his fans come out and be a part. Good for him for collecting that fat money sack.

I'll be honest, I don't mind this at all really. Not a fan of how Walmart's Union politics but that's nothing to do with Jon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Everyone, stop whatever it is you're doing! There's a new Baywatching!

http://phelous.com/2015/11/19/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/bw-rookie-of-the-year/

One can only hope the upcoming movie will be that glorious.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Fake edit re: earlier Red Dwarf comment.

Finally got to watch the episode.

Oh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lornekates posted:

Fake edit re: earlier Red Dwarf comment.

Finally got to watch the episode.

Oh.

If you've only just seen Backwards for the first time, watch this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNWGcYcBklE

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

MonsieurChoc posted:

Everyone, stop whatever it is you're doing! There's a new Baywatching!

http://phelous.com/2015/11/19/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/bw-rookie-of-the-year/

One can only hope the upcoming movie will be that glorious.

Turns out that Eyebrows was only pretending to be French. He tried to be French for you!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Paladin posted:

I've often thought it would be fun to have writing contests where people rewrite reviled parts of beloved series-- write a better prequel, write a better Indy IV, rewrite the finale of almost any major TV sci-fi to see if you can make it not terrible, etc. Nearly every fan idea I've heard for how the prequels could have been written seems more entertaining than what we got.

This would unironically be interesting. Of course it would also suffer from the fanfiction stigma, though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
bay...watch... movie?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm hoping the Baywatch movie will be a really funny, post-modern spoof of the 90s, like something Phil Lord and Christopher Miller would do.

It probably won't, but Dwayne Johnson is at least fun to watch in most things he's in, even bad movies, so even if its a compelety unironic lifeguard movie called Baywatch for branding reasons, the Rock should make it at least tolerable.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Personally I'm hoping for a Starsky and Hutch type thing. I don't see them making a Baywatch movie and not being self-aware about it, so it'll probably be funny.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you've only just seen Backwards for the first time, watch this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNWGcYcBklE

OH, I've seen it before. I just mentioned that Backwards was something that misinterpreted The Big Crunch, not realizing it was already mentioned in the BHH episode (which I hadn't watched yet but have now)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Todd has a new Pop Song Review out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-NGwfELbdw

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I watched the first 20 minutes of Bob Chipman's 72 minute long Is It Really That Good: Spider-Man 1 and 2. That length is not justified at all. It's pretty much consists of

-providing context most people watching probably don't need
-arguing something is really good by just saying it's really good
-trying to convince you that Sam Raimi directing Spider-Man is somehow super crazy

And on that last point, I don't buy that argument at all. How is it any more absurd than giving Batman to the Beeltejuice guy or Superman to the director of The Omen? Raimi at least had done a super hero movie before with Darkman and had a critically acclaimed drama under his belt with A Simple Plan.

I generally like the Really That Good series, but this one is kind of bad.

Edit:
I think my main problems with Moviebob are that he is way too wordy and he has a tendency to go "Well, of course you share my opinion on thing X."

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 21, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think my favorite part of Baywatching is that I almost never remember there's an orangutan in the opening so I get a great ape surprise every time.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

The newest Animorphs review is up for #50 The Ultimate (Part One, Part Two), the one that introduces the Auxiliary Animorphs and the one where Cassie destroys everything.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGeRHz7wGG0

Here's a new Bennett the Sage episode on Ayane's High Kick featuring a metric shitton of wrestling jokes. His next episode is Blood the last Vampire which I remember precisely nothing about except for like the opening scene where the main character fights a vampire on a train.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

poparena posted:

The newest Animorphs review is up for #50 The Ultimate (Part One, Part Two), the one that introduces the Auxiliary Animorphs and the one where Cassie destroys everything.

I had no idea there were leaked early drafts of that book. She should've gone with what was written initially because it is shocking how much better it makes Cassie as a character. Like you said, instead of having her filled with doubt about her decisions and begin to understand that her decision probably just killed alot of people in the future, she instead opts to go with the version that paints Cassie as an uncompromising idiot and I have no idea why she would do that.

Did there end up being any other leaked versions of other books that dramatically changed how a character was viewed or is that the only one?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Asuron posted:

I had no idea there were leaked early drafts of that book. She should've gone with what was written initially because it is shocking how much better it makes Cassie as a character. Like you said, instead of having her filled with doubt about her decisions and begin to understand that her decision probably just killed alot of people in the future, she instead opts to go with the version that paints Cassie as an uncompromising idiot and I have no idea why she would do that.

Did there end up being any other leaked versions of other books that dramatically changed how a character was viewed or is that the only one?

It's such a shame when writers (and game designers) knee-jerk changes like that just because they got leaked. It almost always ends up for the worse because they're quick panicked rewrites of something that took months, or longer, to plan.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Just for clarity sake, the leaked material came out AFTER the book was published. The changes were made for creative reasons, not for some "oh crap, it got out, we got to change it now" reason.

I don't think the changes made Cassie a worse character, but they certainly made her a worse person.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KKall posted:

Ah made a fing about a Jared Leto moovee.

You're points on existentialism reminded me of a conversation I had with a buddy, only he phrased it as "free will" and argued that if you were to rewind time and redo any given moment of your life, without any knowledge that you'd done so, you would always make the exact same choices, because the whole of yourself leading up to the choice will have already made that decision, and so "free will" is a falsehood, and nobody is ever truly free.

I was about six beers and a tequila shot away from making a sensible counter argument, so I just said "that's stupid" and mumbled something about responsibility while everybody else argued over time travel.

But now I know that he was basically trying to justify bad faith! I'm so gonna throw that in his face next time we get drunk and argue about poo poo we hear about on the internet. So thanks for that.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Gyges posted:

I think my favorite part of Baywatching is that I almost never remember there's an orangutan in the opening so I get a great ape surprise every time.

The best part of that ep is when they do a montage of the orangutan's fantasy where it's a lifeguard and they do a rock n' roll version of the main theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I miss Billy Warlock. Eyebrows, Summer, and Bland Surfer Dude just don't compare to his weenie-ism. :(

• Locked thread