Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What's the context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Kavak posted:

What's the context?

He's a real good boy.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Kavak posted:

What's the context?

First dog on the moon.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Annual running of the dogs.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
"A dog runs through a parade route after the Popemobile passed in Guanajuato, Mexico, on March 24, 2012. Pope Benedict XVI was on a visit to Mexico at the time."

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Speaking of dogs, I swear Butterscotch is one:

He cuddles like a dog.

And then there's the mug I get when I have to go to work

Oh wait...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMMiwrzYCP8

I suppose he's a cat.

Chili has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Nov 21, 2015

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Kavak posted:

What's the context?

Every dog has his day.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Made some gifs of the American marten from the latest episode of The Hunt.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

They weren't hunting that, were they? :ohdear:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I think the marten was hunting mice.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

It's animals hunting animals. There's a lot of fuzzy animals in it but they either kill or are killed by other fuzzy animals so keep that in mind if you want to see it :v:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Sociopastry posted:

guys, I'm having a super, super bad day. as many pictures of cute cats as possible, please? I like black cats best but any cats are good.

Here's my dummy who is mostly black :

SyHopeful has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Nov 20, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

He cuddles like a dog.

Oh wait...

I suppose he's a cat.
jfc Butterscotch :kimchi: I can't handle him

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I just adopted this li'l cutie. Her name is Lobsterfest.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

This is one of my all time favorite pictures.

That dog is all "These guys LOVE me!! :iamafag:"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sometimes I forget just how fat this thing is but that video drives it home.

Thanksgiving is almost here... :btroll:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Nostradingus posted:

What a doll. I can't think of a better name than Lobsterfest for her.

Since we're sharing, this is my old girl Mona, who turned 16 in April and is just as feisty as always.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nostradingus posted:

Now that's a Lobersterfest I want to go to :3:

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Sociopastry posted:

guys, I'm having a super, super bad day. as many pictures of cute cats as possible, please? I like black cats best but any cats are good.

I've posted this picture before, but Whenever I've felt down, I've looked back at this pic of my cat and my dad having a little conversation together. I'll see if I can dig up more pictures of both of them, but they might be on the laptop in storage at the moment.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Sel Nar posted:

I've posted this picture before, but Whenever I've felt down, I've looked back at this pic of my cat and my dad having a little conversation together. I'll see if I can dig up more pictures of both of them, but they might be on the laptop in storage at the moment.

Also feel free to share more stories of your dad, since he was pretty cool (for those that don't know, click the ? on Sel Nar and read away).

Unrelated, man uses and ingenious way to get his dog to take it's medicine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGPZIWAWiE

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Nostradingus posted:

A cute cat and a good reference :3:

Sel Nar posted:

Oh man that is too much :kimchi: They totally look like they're just chatting over an early-morning coffee or something.

Ferretten
Jun 13, 2006
behind tired eyes, behind tired eyes, he is waiting. and knowing our destinies.

Luna is a pirate

E: oops sorry for massive

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Also feel free to share more stories of your dad, since he was pretty cool (for those that don't know, click the ? on Sel Nar and read away).

You're too kind.

Honestly, I find it hard to articulate all of the things my Dad did, in part because he was a masterful storyteller in his own way, and, while he was not prone to exaggeration, his dry humour ensured that you would often find yourself chuckling at his antics. For all that he was physically infirm for many years, that never stopped him from getting into, and creating, all sorts of shenanigans.

As we begin to turn towards the winter months, however, I'm reminded of the story he told of moving into the farm that I've spent my life at. My parents bought what was a run-down century-old doctor's office/house, with, as my dad would later claim "Cracks in the walls so large you could stick your hand outside through them."

Naturally, they moved in on December 1st.

To be fair, that year had been unseasonably warm, with everyone involved in the move wearing T-shirts and light pants at the start of the day, but, by the time the sun had gone down, a full-scale blizzard, howling wind included, had settled in, ensuring a properly uncomfortable first night. My uncle-by-friendship, one of my dad's best friends, had gone out to get some take-out dinner for everyone at the house, and, when he arrived back at the farmhouse, his first words were "Open the Fridge, I have to get Warm."

Dad, as revenge, put my uncle's boots in the oven at 175 Farenheit for three hours, so they were unwearably hot for the following morning. My dad's excuse? "You complained about your feet being cold all night."

Now, it did take a lot of effort and work to get the old farm up and running, but my dad managed to do so. I have a picture of him somewhere, with him wearing a T-shirt proudly emblazoned 'Cosmic Farmer', which really was the only way to describe him. On the bright side, the farm came with a quartet of Pets; the old one-eyed collie, Chief, who would stay out of reach if you were carrying anything, but loved being scratched behins the ears, and would ravenously devour any groundhog he could catch.

Schlingel, a beautiful, ink-black barn cat with the looks of a Panther and the morals of an Alley Cat. My dad kicked Schlingel out of the house in perpetuity after the little bastard peed in his stereo amplifier while he was listening to a first-run LP of The Wall. (Schlingel got revenge by sneaking in through the summer kitchen and peeing in my Dad's cast-iron Frying pan while dad was at work. He stopped leaving the pan out, and stopped making eggs at night after that.

Butch, a brown and grey tortiseshell that makes Butterscotch look tiny; Butch was 25 pounds of ~solid~ muscle; he routinely killed beavers, and had outright fangs, reaching half an inch beyond his jawline. On more than one occasion Dad would find Butch crawling out from under the foundation of the chicken coop, dragging a foot-long rat with him, and looking as smug as possible. Butch also had never experienced a christmas tree, and tried to climb up the first one my parents had bought. Good thing the decorations hadn't been put on at that point, because, well, Physics.

And, finally, There was Marlow. She was a short-haired piebald barn cat, mostly white with brown and black splotches, and she was affectionate and cute, unless she was pregnant. Soon as Marlow would get knocked up, she would become aloof, grumpy, and, most-memorably, decided to get revenge on my dad for paying attention to a neighbour who he was chatting with, instead of her. So, instead of meowing, or pawing at him like most cats do, Marlow turned, lifted her tail, and soaked my dad's business suit from knees to ankles in a single gush. The following day, Marlow gave birth to four kittens, one smoke-grey and three pure white. So, naturally, my Dad called the kittens 'Martha and the Maggots'.

He could never stay mad at the pets, even when they did stuff that drove him nuts. Probably what made him a great parent; he let the dumb stuff slide, and had inventive punishments for when we actually deserved it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sel Nar posted:

You're too kind.

Do you realize you grew up in a John Irving novel? :3:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Sociopastry posted:

I have a message for you.

http://imgur.com/KnzS83z

(not cats but work safe. trust me)

porkswordonboard has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Nov 21, 2015

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Do you realize you grew up in a John Irving novel? :3:

I hate to admit it, but I've never read any of John irving's works.

Next up in stories about my dad, the time he made his own beer, and what he did when my older brother got drunk off his tits for the first time ever.

E: As mentioned before in my various storytimes regarding my Father, he was multidisciplinary, and often self-taught (He did get his bachelor's in Computer Programming back in the late 70's, and spent 20-odd years working for the Government of Canada, mind.) This combination of wickedly sharp intelligence, patience, and curiosity would invariably end up with some wild-rear end scheme of 'I wonder what would happen if I did this', which, in 1984,culminated with him making a full-scale beer still.

While my dad preferred India Pale Ales as his brew of choice, he had a soft spot for red ales, which he tried to emulate as best he could; however, he forgot one important factor; adding sugar to the fermentation process increases the eventual output of alcohol in the drink, and, in his own words, 'Whenever it stopped bubbling, I'd add a handful of sugar'. By the time he got around to bottling it, in half-litre bottles at that, the beer was a deep, smoky red and, according to my dad, 'Around 18% alcohol'. As a comparison, your typical wine is roughly 20%, and you don't drink a half-litre bottle in one go.

So, of course, Dad nicknamed it 'Horribrau' and shared it with his friends and extended family. One friend, aptly nicknamed 'Dennis the Menace' came to visit that winter, and, not heeding my Dad's warnings of the potency of the drink, knocked back a full bottle in less than half an hour. He then got lost in the front field because it had snowed, and erased the tracks of his snowmobile.

Dad did the same with my Opa, who, being very much a traditional German, liked driving around with my Oma as the passenger; it took 5 minutes for Opa to pull over and ask Oma to drive the 800 kilometres home after Opa had knocked back one of the monster beers.

My Mom then used certain bowl-shaped components of the Still to store tulip bulbs in over winter; she claims innocence, but Dad joked that Opa had asked her to sabotage his beer-making equipment.

As for the time my older brother got utterly lit, well, he was 14, it was December 1st '96, and his best friend had swiped 3 bottles of Green wine from his parent's own still. The wine was two days in the bottle. So, my brother drank two and a half bottles of immature wine and chased it with a half-dozen tangerines. He was then violently sick, for obvious reasons. One hospital stay later, and my Dad got to sit down at the kitchen table, and tell both my brother and his best friend that they had just been voluntold to paint the local fire station's floor. He also made mention that he had offered my brother's services to clean a 'Vomit Comet' Ambulance, but the hospital declined for liability reasons.

My brother did such a half-assed job on painting the fire station's floor that he had to go back twice to re-do it properly. He was also grounded until he completed Grade 12 in High School.

Sel Nar has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Nov 21, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Chili posted:

I suppose he's a cat.
I'm loving everything Butterscotch, but your humongous pictures inveriably make my browser crash. I'm hoping I can persuade you to make use of imgur's built in thumbnail features. The timg feature still loads the entire picture.

Like when you've got an url like this:
code:
http://i.imgur.com/e3ZkZ2z.jpg
You append an 'h' to the file name:
code:
http://i.imgur.com/e3ZkZ2zh.jpg
and it'll serve you a normal sized picture that's still big enough to see everything in detail.

I'm supposing it might help some people out on mobile connections as well.

Thanks for any consideration in the matter so I can keep browsing this awesome thread.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I took my pup Bailey to a Goonsgiving dinner yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS8S2JN01Vg

She's, um, she's a bit of a goober. What the video didn't capture is the good minute or so before when she was trying to get the dog statue to jump down and play with her.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Casu Marzu posted:

I just got some really lovely medical news, so I need all the super adorable beautiful tear jerker stuff you can pull out so I can jump start my emotions again

This should get your started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQzqfsgftBo

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
My wife's co-workers!

HackensackBackpack has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Nov 21, 2015

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
You like black kitties? Have Rosencrantz, being a snake.

And wearing a tie.

Also, echoing Caedus in reminding folks to keep an eye out for cats in cars. We found our Piston in my husband's engine compartment, luckily unharmed by his 3 mile ride from work to home.
Bonus pics of Piston, who can't ever quite figure out where to put his rear legs.

He'll get it some day.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Chili posted:

He cuddles like a dog.

Oh wait...

I suppose he's a cat.

"I...just...c'mon. Can you not?"

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:unsmith: Thanks, everyone.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm loving everything Butterscotch, but your humongous pictures inveriably make my browser crash. I'm hoping I can persuade you to make use of imgur's built in thumbnail features. The timg feature still loads the entire picture.

Like when you've got an url like this:
code:
http://i.imgur.com/e3ZkZ2z.jpg
You append an 'h' to the file name:
code:
http://i.imgur.com/e3ZkZ2zh.jpg
and it'll serve you a normal sized picture that's still big enough to see everything in detail.

I'm supposing it might help some people out on mobile connections as well.

Thanks for any consideration in the matter so I can keep browsing this awesome thread.

I had no idea that was a thing! So sorry, and yes, I will post Butterscotch pictures in this manner from now on!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Domus posted:

luckily unharmed by his 3 mile ride from work to home.

Was it this thread or the Schadenfreude thread with the gif/video of the cat that stowed away on the wing of a plane? I'm reminded of it and it's pretty good. :3:

E: VVV Thank you! :)

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Nov 21, 2015

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

AlphaKretin posted:

Was it this thread or the Schadenfreude thread with the gif/video of the cat that stowed away on the wing of a plane? I'm reminded of it and it's pretty good. :3:

http://i.imgur.com/Z3fFFcj.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8mdH20qTQ

There you go!

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...
I made a little scarf for my cat. He actually loves it and came running to me when it came undone. :3

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

porkswordonboard posted:

I have a message for you.

http://imgur.com/KnzS83z

(not cats but work safe. trust me)

The sign says it will, but the frog says get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Leofish posted:

My wife's co-workers!

Oh my god they look so mellow. I need some workcats like these two.

• Locked thread