Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

toasterwarrior posted:

Aww what? Sonuvabitch, I never knew!

Yeah, as long as you have a 1% chance of hitting, it'll hit. I don't know if it goes through walls too but it definitely goes through other body parts. It's hilarious. Use a crit on a really low headshot chance for sniping and you've got yourself a fast way to kill off tough enemies before they spot you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Critical hits are my favorite little thing in fallout 4 honestly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm torn on it, on one hand it feels kind of cheap to have an instant kill button at your disposal, but on the other hand it's a lot better than random crits, which I hate to no end and am glad aren't in this game. I just wish it was a bit harder to get that crit meter full. I haven't taken any crit perks and it only takes me 3 shots to fill mine. Then again I am using Righteous Authority, which has a bonus to crits which makes them crazy good.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's affected by your luck Stat as well so if it's half decent it will fill up a lot faster.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I went with 9 because I didn't know you could raise your stats above 10 this time around. So now I'm waiting for the bobblehead to boost it to 10.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Since it is a thing in RDR and GTA V where a person distress waves you down and you try to help them only to end up getting shot at by a ton of bad dudes, it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional.
That reminds me of how every so often in RDR, usually after you've learned to react to cries for help from a lone woman by immediately opening fire, there'll be one such event where she really only needs a lift. Matter of fact it's probably scripted to occur.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I went with 9 because I didn't know you could raise your stats above 10 this time around. So now I'm waiting for the bobblehead to boost it to 10.

Why not not use a level up to bump it to 10 and then get the bobblehead?

My favourite little thing in fallout 4 is constantly finding yao guai corpses floating in mid air.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ubachung posted:

Why not not use a level up to bump it to 10 and then get the bobblehead?

My favourite little thing in fallout 4 is constantly finding yao guai corpses floating in mid air.

Because I already got the agility bobblehead, or whatever it was in vault 111, and now a perfect 11 SPECIAL run is ruined, ruined!

I like watching super mutants and raiders war it out with feral ghouls.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Even more Fallout 4. So in conjunction with the previously-mentioned point about renaming things, I am 12 and my beloved favorite weapon has returned.

You can even pin body parts to living creatures' body parts, which is a new little thing I discovered (unless this was previously in 3).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

graybook posted:

Even more Fallout 4. So in conjunction with the previously-mentioned point about renaming things, I am 12 and my beloved favorite weapon has returned.

You can even pin body parts to living creatures' body parts, which is a new little thing I discovered (unless this was previously in 3).

:aaa: where do you get that poo poo? I have the Junk Jet but it's completely underwhelming.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Nuebot posted:

:aaa: where do you get that poo poo? I have the Junk Jet but it's completely underwhelming.

If you don't want to hunt all over the Commonwealth for it, it's at a railyard roughly northeast-ish of Starlight Drive-In. Check inside one of the open rail cars.
My eyes lit up once I got it, honestly. Gotta put it away for a little while because I definitely want to keep building up my ammo stock.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speaking of which:
WHY ISNT THERE AN AMMO WORKBENCH BETHESDA.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Speaking of which:
WHY ISNT THERE AN AMMO WORKBENCH BETHESDA.

Get rope kid onboard for Gun Runner's Arsenal - Boston Edition and consider that DLC sold

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw there's actually an ammo crafting mod out already, but I don't know how well it works.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Speaking of naming things in Fallout 4, how are you supposed to find out that Dogmeat's name is Dogmeat? I did a mission and halfway through my character just started calling him Dogmeat like he'd always been called that. I don't think that's how it's meant to work

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McDragon posted:

Speaking of naming things in Fallout 4, how are you supposed to find out that Dogmeat's name is Dogmeat? I did a mission and halfway through my character just started calling him Dogmeat like he'd always been called that. I don't think that's how it's meant to work

The normal way is with the old junkie seer lady.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

McDragon posted:

Talk to Mama Murphy when you first meet her and she'll tell you that a) Dogmeat is her dog, and b) his name is Dogmeat. Fun fact, if you don't ever meet her or the rest of Preston Garvey's group, your character continues to refer to Dogmeat as 'Dog' until you do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Talk to Mama Murphy when you first meet her and she'll tell you that a) Dogmeat is her dog, and b) his name is Dogmeat. Fun fact, if you don't ever meet her or the rest of Preston Garvey's group, your character continues to refer to Dogmeat as 'Dog' until you do.

Even if you do you have to trigger a specific conversation to do it. I actually ended up with "Dog" the entire game. I think part of it is that I got Mama Murphy off drugs ASAP which destroys any conversation with her that isn't Mama Murph's True To her Word...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Huh, unless you are me and it switched to Dogmeat right after I got him.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Nov 20, 2015

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_i6Ewj1cLk

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Awesome.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Huh, unless you are me and it switched to Dogmeat right after I got him.

Yeah, I never talked with Mama Murphy and my character just started calling him that.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

This is a thing of beauty.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
So I got the perk that lets you set up supply lines between settlement in Fallout 4. It makes setting up new bases so much easier.

Sending a single settler from each settlement to link it to another settlement makes them wander off in the direction of whichever settlement you've assigned them to. I got worried about them all alone so each settler I assign to be a supply guy I give him a kickass gun and some ammo, and a suit of whatever good armour I have sitting around. I've started hoarding armours just for settlers anyway.

Also, to make it easy, I've assigned everyone to link to Sanctuary. That way every settlement is linked through Sanctuary.

I just figured the settlers you send off despawn or wander alone until they get killed or something. Not so.

Fast travelled to Sanctuary and was surprised to see an enormous caravan of Brahmin loaded up with stuff in a train heading out the front gates, accompanied by the settlers I'd assigned. So basically an incredibly well equiped convoy, all headed down the road, each one eventually beaking off to their settlement. The raider who tries to take that juicy target is in for a hell of a surprise.

Oh look, a big bunch of settlers and cattle wanding the road. Let's gently caress their poo poo up.

*6 miniguns and countless plasma/laser rifles appear from the settlers in full combat armour*

Oh.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

graybook posted:

Oh goddamnit does this game have "hold your breath to snipe" mechanics? Because goddamn if that didn't ruin sniper rifles for me in Far Cry 3.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh goddamnit does this game have "hold your breath to snipe" mechanics? Because goddamn if that didn't ruin sniper rifles for me in Far Cry 3.

It does. However, if you get a rifle with a medium scope and some upgrades, I found I don't need to use the breath holding bit.

graybook posted:

If you don't want to hunt all over the Commonwealth for it, it's at a railyard roughly northeast-ish of Starlight Drive-In. Check inside one of the open rail cars.
My eyes lit up once I got it, honestly. Gotta put it away for a little while because I definitely want to keep building up my ammo stock.

Can't believe I missed that.

Also, if people haven't, you absolutely need to do the USS Constitution mission as soon as you can.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Yes and it's ridiculous. Your aim waves around like you're drunk but then you hold your breath and your character basically turns into a robot with perfect aim.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

StandardVC10 posted:

Is it better or worse than Metal Gear forcing you to take pentazemin to be able to hold your sight straight? I posit worse, since there's no reason to not hold your breath, so there's no gain in making that an actual gameplay mechanic. At least the way Metal Gear does it, it's a resource; depending on the game you've either only got a limited amount of pentazemin or a limited amount of inventory space. It's not like the breath-holding is a realism thing either, since it only ever affects sniper rifles, and in my experience I'm gonna say aiming is no easier or harder depending on whether or not I am breathing.

I wouldn't say the breath-holding mechanics ruin anything, because it just never seems to matter enough to do that. But that's the thing; they don't go far enough to add anything mechanics-wise or realism-wise, we are no better off for having them, so what's the point? It's a waste of time and resources.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

Is it better or worse than Metal Gear forcing you to take pentazemin to be able to hold your sight straight? I posit worse, since there's no reason to not hold your breath, so there's no gain in making that an actual gameplay mechanic. At least the way Metal Gear does it, it's a resource; depending on the game you've either only got a limited amount of pentazemin or a limited amount of inventory space. It's not like the breath-holding is a realism thing either, since it only ever affects sniper rifles, and in my experience I'm gonna say aiming is no easier or harder depending on whether or not I am breathing.

I wouldn't say the breath-holding mechanics ruin anything, because it just never seems to matter enough to do that. But that's the thing; they don't go far enough to add anything mechanics-wise or realism-wise, we are no better off for having them, so what's the point? It's a waste of time and resources.

Holding your breath in FO4 consumes action points at about the same rate as sprinting and refills at the same rate when you let off, which is supposed to be the tradeoff. Steadier first-person aim in exchange for not being able to use vats' auto-aim.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

CitizenKain posted:

Also, if people haven't, you absolutely need to do the USS Constitution mission as soon as you can.

Godspeed, you beautiful, robot bastards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pulp rag posted:

I sincerely hope they get some DLC to continue their adventures :allears:.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CJacobs posted:

Holding your breath in FO4 consumes action points at about the same rate as sprinting and refills at the same rate when you let off, which is supposed to be the tradeoff. Steadier first-person aim in exchange for not being able to use vats' auto-aim.

Okay, I can buy that one. I still haven't played the game yet so I don't know how well they pulled it off, but that's decent. Even if it is basically just using it to dig themselves out of their own hole.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cleretic posted:

Okay, I can buy that one. I still haven't played the game yet so I don't know how well they pulled it off, but that's decent. Even if it is basically just using it to dig themselves out of their own hole.

Why do you post so much about a game you haven't played? I'm not trying to be mean, but it seems like you're stressing yourself a lot over a video game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

mycot posted:

Why do you post so much about a game you haven't played? I'm not trying to be mean, but it seems like you're stressing yourself a lot over a video game.

Well, right now it's twenty minutes away from finishing its install according to Steam (Which really means it could be anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour from completion). I always intended to buy it, because it is still a sort of game I really like, it's just that they've made a lot of choices I don't agree with design-wise. And I also happen to quite enjoy articulating why I hold my opinions, when possible.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cleretic posted:

Well, right now it's twenty minutes away from finishing its install according to Steam (Which really means it could be anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour from completion). I always intended to buy it, because it is still a sort of game I really like, it's just that they've made a lot of choices I don't agree with design-wise. And I also happen to quite enjoy articulating why I hold my opinions, when possible.

Really, it's my fault for reading way too many threads and noticing these things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You got mad they made the protagonist married and straight and having a kid because that stops you from roleplaying The Doctor.

For content: I'm attempting to get into Xenoblade Chronicles again and I love how many quality of life improvements it has over other jrpgs. It's insane how much more fluid and approachable it feels to say a Dragon Quest game which hasn't really improved in what 20 years?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

pulp rag posted:

The USS Constitution mission was the moment I stopped listening to Piper's comments. She wanted me to support the local scavengers because "getting those resources to people is more important than supporting some robots' fantasy" gently caress that, those scavengers were assholes and didn't deserve a goddamn thing except the several broadsides I fired in their general direction.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I never talked with Mama Murphy and my character just started calling him that.

Valentine will call him Dogmeat on a mission, this is also a switch apparently, but not one that seems intentional.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I loving love this railway rifle. I shot a guy in the face, and his face flew. It flew so far the camera gave up. Somewhere in space there's a man's head just orbiting jupiter now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The latest addition to Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard's MOBA) is Cho'gall, a two-headed ogre from the Warcraft universe. Being a two-headed ogre he also requires two players to play, one of them in charge of the walking and clobbering and the other essentially being a mage turret.

It's pretty funny since one of Blizzard's past April Fool jokes was about playing a two-headed ogre in World of Warcraft. The reason I bring it up though is because how Cho'Gall handles usernames. In Heroes of the Storm your name hovers over the character you are playing, but in the case of Cho'gall you have two players occupying one character. The way it handles is this is by chopping up both names and turning it into a name appropriate for an ogre. For example, if I were to team-up with somebody called WeedlordMcBlazeit, the name you'd see in-game would be either Mie'zeit or Wee'uker. It's a pretty funny addition to an already unique character.