Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

It took me a long time to realise that the dude on the left doesn't have a toga pinned to his nipple ring.

Agreed, he's lactating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I know this has been asked, but I didn't care at the time so I don't remember the answer.

Portal was bad, right? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/159406/portal-uncooperative-cake-acquisition-game

Or at least, not very good? Why?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Big McHuge posted:

Are any of the deals on the FFG website that great? There's a lot of big box games for only 10 bucks, and I was thinking of blindly purchasing some of them.

Merchant of Venus is probably the best of the lot, but it's $25.

I've heard Black Gold has some cute ideas.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Gutter Owl posted:

Merchant of Venus is probably the best of the lot, but it's $25.

I've heard Black Gold has some cute ideas.

I actually own Merchant of Venus, and it's *maybe* worth that much. Put it this way, I like it far more than I believe it's worth.

I'm also in charge of buying prizes for a weekend gaming gathering that my friends put on twice a year. I've got a 250 dollar budget, and so far I've spent 20 on Castles of Burgundy. I'll be watching Black Friday deals like a hawk, as I want to try and get some better games into this group. Most of the people either don't have collections, or have collections that are full of poo poo that would make Rutibex proud. In the past we've had kinda lovely prizes, plus we allowed people to donate prizes instead of paying an entrance fee. This time we're just gonna force the fee on people and put that money towards better prizes.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Does Canada typically get any Black Friday board game sales or is this a US thing that I have watch enviously from north of the border

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Single Tight Female posted:

While we're on the subject I'd like to start a petition to get some beefcakes in my board games actually

Like right now there's I dunno a couple overly dressed handsome men in Eldritch Horror and that's about it. Flash Point missed a chance to get real weird with it.

It's not much, but there was a recent making-of-the-art highlight on a Magic: the Gathering card that fits this

e: Strangely, people (guys) got slightly skeeved out about the art on the last most recent (by the same artist) similar magic card but that could also be the sexy-vampire vs manly-man thing, idk, :quig:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Agreed, he's lactating.

That was my second thought. It took til thought three to notice what was actually going on.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Is Mage Knight the go to for solo games? I need something to play when I can't play pandemic, ticket to ride, or king of Tokyo with my gf.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Bottom Liner posted:

Boardgamergate, brought to you by Rutibex. :psyduck:

Speaking of Roll, my group has long thought that produce/consume was already the strongest strategy if no one is rushing a bunch of colonize/develope. Maybe it's just the way we've been playing.

It might just be my experience, but it feels way easier to leach produce/consume in Roll because ship is completely rolled into consume instead of being a bonus for one player. I've found it harder to pull a colonize/develop rush if everyone goes colonize/develop, since you can't easily get money with leftover produce/consume rolls.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

crondaily posted:

Is Mage Knight the go to for solo games? I need something to play when I can't play pandemic, ticket to ride, or king of Tokyo with my gf.

Yep, unless you're specifically looking for wargames, in which case Navajo Wars.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

silvergoose posted:

Yep, unless you're specifically looking for wargames, in which case Navajo Wars.

Navajo Wars is not a wargame.

:munch:

Also, I've just bought a copy. Yay!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What other solo games do people recommend?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

COIN games, LOTR LCG, most co-op games since you're likely gonna be quarterbacking anyways, drinking yourself to death alone.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
On the subject of online board game clients: STILL DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO WHICHEVER SHITSTICKS ARE RUNNING PLAYDOMINION.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thunderbolt Apache Leader, Space Empires 4X (both at least sort-of wargames).

March of the Ants and Between Two Cities are fun multiplayer games with solo rules, but I haven't tried them solo yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Viticulture with the Automa from Tuscany, The Gallerist, Legendary Encounters. I've heard Valley of the Kings: Afterlife isn't awful solo, but I've never tried it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sherlock Holmes if you like the subject, Space Alert if you're slightly crazy, Fields of Fire if you're full-on bananas.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 20, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Seconding Legendary Encounters

[edit]

Solo Space Alert sounds amazing

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Galaxy Trucker app has an awesome single player mode.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Aside from wargames, I enjoy Robinson Crusoe.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Toshimo posted:

On the subject of online board game clients: STILL DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO WHICHEVER SHITSTICKS ARE RUNNING PLAYDOMINION.

I've been tracking this on F.DS, and it's hilariously awful. WHat's more impressive is the speed with which dominion nerds have come up with mods to fix the worst shittiness of these companies' products.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

silvergoose posted:

I know this has been asked, but I didn't care at the time so I don't remember the answer.

Portal was bad, right? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/159406/portal-uncooperative-cake-acquisition-game

Or at least, not very good? Why?

The game pieces (meeples and cake) and box are easily among the best I've seen in a game. However, the modular board is a pain in the rear end to manage. Instead of just hexes, each tile is a hex with little tabs, which are meant to help interlock each tile with the next. Guess what? They don't work; the fit is far too tight. The board will very often look like a mess because it's too much hassle to click each hex in (since it'll be moving soon), so you just kinda lay them there.

As a game, it's in a weird spot. At 2 players, it plays like a puzzle, and requires thinking many turns ahead. At 3 and 4 players, there's still some planning, but due to the hectic nature of the character cards and shifting board, it doesn't help as much. With the groups I've played with, it became more of a negotiation game as player count rose. Your goal is to get the most cake slices onto the board, then kill off all of a player's meeples to end the game. You can kill your own guys to achieve this. Cake placed onto the board can be permanently removed from the game, so there's a bit of risk management between having too few meeples (in case you get killed off to end the game), too much cake near the edge of the board (in case players extend the game by incinerating your cake and keeping the game extended by recruiting more meeples) and having too many meeples (in case you can't easily kill off another player's). The game is short too; my average is probably 30 minutes, though I did have an hour long game because at that point we started negotiating and planning out ridiculous machinations that would only barely work. It's one of the better filler games I've played, but I feel like it's just that: a filler.

Do I like the game? Yes. Would I have bought it had I known what I was getting myself into? Probably not.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Do I like the game? Yes. Would I have bought it had I known what I was getting myself into? Probably not.

Addendum. Maybe this doesn't matter to you, but it does to me; it doesn't really have anything to do with Portal.

I'm a big fan of portal. I like the idea of a game from the side of being a demented algorithm running in GlaDOS, or even a competing test apparatus, or whatever. I think there's room there for the metaphor of the bizarre facility to be meaningful.

The only way the cake vs test subjects metaphor makes sense is if it's squeezed through the lense of madness, which, while "hilarious" is not useful in the context of the game.

I like games with metaphors that reinforce the rules. If you play a game with tanks and infantry, and the tanks move further and are tougher, then that's useful. Like what got discussed a few pages back regarding card designs: Race for the Galaxy's cards are cool, but kind of nonsensical. The iconography bridges the gap, and once you get the way it works, it all makes sense. Personally I find Ascension to be similarly weird, but I do at least get their Monster/Hero/Magic Widget setup.

Not to beat it to death, but 7 wonders does ok with this. You see why, for example, you need the biggest army to win army points. You get why science pays off more the the more you focus on it, and the more you focus on a specific discipline within it. When you put down a building that enables a later building, they usually stick to a progression that makes sense.

I have no way to square the idea of putting cake on the board and killing all your test subjects while randomly rearranging the board. It almost makes more sense if it were a game based on the Saw movies. Or maybe a game played from the perspective of the creatures from the Alien movies, or invasion of the body snatchers, where the cake represents getting your hooks into the society while destroying or rooting out the people who know about your conspiracy.

Or on a less weird note, maybe some kind of cultural 'race' to lay down the ancient traditions which will influence future society before your culture inevitably becomes extinct? The cake could be myths of deities or spiritual beliefs, and you're competing for mindshare within human religion. Could even be a game about the early formation of christianity, with the factionalism and attempts to 'choose correct texts', etc.

Anyway. Blah blah. Just to say, I really like Portal, this seems like a funky (kind of interesting but flawed) game in a Portal suit, not something that has to do with the game, and that bugs me.

Though, for all I know, this was made with Eric Wolpaw's input and somehow really represents the fiction of the universe v:v:v

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Everybody knows the Portal cake meme, that's literally as deep as it goes.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The game is an allegory for the meme

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Andarel posted:

The game is an allegory for the meme

So it's . . . not really a game? It's a lie?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

homullus posted:

So it's . . . not really a game? It's a lie?

Can you have your game and play it too?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Archenteron posted:

It's not much, but there was a recent making-of-the-art highlight on a Magic: the Gathering card that fits this

e: Strangely, people (guys) got slightly skeeved out about the art on the last most recent (by the same artist) similar magic card but that could also be the sexy-vampire vs manly-man thing, idk, :quig:

This is pretty awesome, and I love the Yul Brynner namecheck, random corset and dude in the background of the second pic halfway between a cheer and a crotch pump. Magic's a funny one because the current wave of LCGs seem to be mostly deliberately trying to buck the trend of male-dominated scuzziness (specifically in terms of card design - as many female characters as male, little objectification, etc) but it's still largely a bunch of dudes in a loving stinky dungeon playing it

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 21, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

rchandra posted:

)
March of the Ants and Between Two Cities are fun multiplayer games with solo rules, but I haven't tried them solo yet.

I don't like March of the Ants solo/coop. As a game mode it feels half baked and tacked on. It's fending off a centipede invasion.

We tried it a couple times. It's super hard and is not practical to even really blockade the caterpillars.

It's possible we misunderstood something but I don't believe we did. I think we played correctly. Anyway I thought the solo/coop mode was crap.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey fellow board gamers. You can ask for and/or send to people a good board game (suggested price $30) in this year's Trad Games Secret Santa! Sending nerdy gifts to other goons and getting one back from a secret TG superstar is fun and good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't like March of the Ants solo/coop. As a game mode it feels half baked and tacked on. It's fending off a centipede invasion.

If I recall the Kickstarter campaign, it was literally tacked on because some lonely rear end nerds keep begging for a solo mode, regardless of the project. I think it ended up being a stretch goal, but they'll probably flesh it out some in the expansion.

March of the Ants is a really fun game when you play it as intended, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I would play Magic Mike: The Boardgame

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

GrandpaPants posted:

If I recall the Kickstarter campaign, it was literally tacked on because some lonely rear end nerds keep begging for a solo mode, regardless of the project. I think it ended up being a stretch goal, but they'll probably flesh it out some in the expansion.

March of the Ants is a really fun game when you play it as intended, though.

Yeah I like the actual game. Getting the Reactions down is important though. I found you need to play where everyone just takes their reactions in turn with no prompting otherwise the game shows to a craaaaaawl

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Been playing in a friend's Kingdom Death game. Not as horribly dick-tentacles filled as I heard, but that may have just been the encounters we rolled. Also his is a pre-order copy so it might not have had some of the apparently skeevier stuff.

As a game, it's okay. It does feel vaguely Monster Hunter-esque with the resource gathering/collecting and crafting but since all of the fights are Many vs 1, it loses a bit of that feel. Also, to counteract the action economy balance, the enemy usually swings pretty hard and AOEs can be vicious. Particularly when there's not a lot of armor to go around and a limited number of sessions to accomplish things. Given that the theme is one of terror and hopelessness, the high possibility of death seems to make sense, even if it does get a bit boring after a while. Damage is definitely a bit random and can get swingy against the players though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don't get the new title. Someone explain it to me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Codenames, finally. My team scored a 4 pointer with "Sit" and a 3 pointer with Volleyball (Game, Server, Spike). We lost a round because my clue words were Washer/Spot/Dinosaur/School/Life/Lawyer/Penguin, with "Tail" being Assassin. The other team had Water and very similar words. My clue of Evolution got two, Suit got Lawyer but not Penguin, and the other team cleaned up but it was close.

The clue of the night was Shiv (I thought it was Knife+Organ, it was Knife+Cell).

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mysterium is pretty cool. I played it for the first time tonight in a 7 player game as a not-dead person. Judging from my group's performance, being the ghost must be goddamn frustrating since we kept getting wrong guesses on what we thought were plainly obvious clues. If you play the card with a vampire on it, we're going to pick the Dracula-looking motherfucker. The final murderer vote came down to a 3-way tie where I picked the correct choice and we got lucky that the tie-breaking point leader vote agreed with me.

I enjoy the fact that my group has played Codenames so much that we use it as a reference point, where Mysterium is "Codenames + Dixit + Clue."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Lord Frisk posted:

I don't get the new title. Someone explain it to me.

It should have been named Board Game Thread: FUN 0

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My original title was great and worked on so many levels :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tekopo posted:

My original title was great and worked on so many levels :(

I'll change it back soon if you like, I just wanted to make a Sharia pun :getin: