Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

I got a high school diploma from some nato colonel's (my last name is impossibly polish) daughter v:shobon:v

i got mine from a high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

PleasureKevin posted:

I think they do respect the dot, they just don't care where it is? like firs.tlast will also deliver the email to first.last.

no they explicitly say the dot is optional. also a plus sign and anything after it is ignored so you can give email addresses like
john.doe+trump@gmail.com and then when you get penis pump spam sent to that address you'll know donald trump is selling his mailing lists to penis pump suppliers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah you can input f.i.r.s.t.l.a.s.t.+myhugedilz@gmail.com and it will just send to firstlast@gmail.com

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

yeah you can input f.i.r.s.t.l.a.s.t.+myhugedilz@gmail.com and it will just send to firstlast@gmail.com

this is of course all tribal knowledge and documented nowhere discoverable

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
just call google tech support and theyll be happy to give you all sorts of useful tips like those

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

just call google tech support and theyll be happy to give you all sorts of useful tips like those

I prefer to go into the google store for their one on one help

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

no they explicitly say the dot is optional. also a plus sign and anything after it is ignored so you can give email addresses like
john.doe+trump@gmail.com and then when you get penis pump spam sent to that address you'll know donald trump is selling his mailing lists to penis pump suppliers

whoa cool

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
interesting graph (this is for the US):

it seems the 5s does have a loyal contingent, which makes the possibility of a 4 inch phone in the near future much more possible

i mean either that or the people dumping their 5s for a newer phone are being replaced by people dumping their even older phones, which is certainly possible since they still sell the 5s on apple's website and at basically every carrier

either way, there's an extra 20 million iPhones in use that didn't exist a year and a half ago

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hope they actually end up making an even bigger phone.

The iPhone Note.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

it seems the 5s does have a loyal contingent, which makes the possibility of a 4 inch phone in the near future much more possible

i mean either that or the people dumping their 5s for a newer phone are being replaced by people dumping their even older phones, which is certainly possible since they still sell the 5s on apple's website and at basically every carrier

either way, there's an extra 20 million iPhones in use that didn't exist a year and a half ago

the 5 didn't have the same pattern because it got upstaged by the 5S and replaced by the 5C instead of hanging around as the cheaper year-old phone

the 6 and 6+ are gonna be just like the 5s, everyone who already has one is gonna keep it, maybe cheap people with good taste will get 'em, but most of the new sales are gonna be the 6s and 6s+

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

computer parts posted:

for me the 5s just still runs great. apple pay and 3d touch arent killer apps but a camera upgrade would be nice. i expect i'll get the 7s

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Eddy Cue, the man, the myth

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
well I guess it's impossible to change the email alert sound in iOS inbox

who should I thank for this, apple or google?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

apple. i remember back in the day blackberry let you could customize every alert for every app individually. i dont really know what would be lost by letting apps have default alerts but also allowing customization in settings

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Endless Mike posted:

I use this all the time when creating accounts on websites - I use <name>+<service>@gmail.com so when I start receiving newsletters I didn't sign up for I know which company sold me out/went under and sold their email list to pay off creditors

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i dont have sound customization settings for a single non-apple app in the system settings. does apple expose that functionality to 3rd party developers?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Silver Alicorn posted:

vibrate or be murdered imo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Jimmy Carter posted:

I use this all the time when creating accounts on websites - I use <name>+<service>@gmail.com so when I start receiving newsletters I didn't sign up for I know which company sold me out/went under and sold their email list to pay off creditors

also for filtering spam when they do sell you out
problem is a ton of websites think a + is an invalid character in an email address. and if they don't, im sure plenty of them know to just strip off everything following a +

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no, he's talking about the gmail inbox app by google and he is right that you cannot change alert sounds for non-default apps.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

but I need to know when my important emails come in

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

no, he's talking about the gmail inbox app by google and he is right that you cannot change alert sounds for non-default apps.

oh... why would he use that???

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I like the interface

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

but I need to know when my important emails come in

being able to differentiate what exactly is sending you a notification is good and very useful

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

From what I know third party apps can chose their notification. If they want users to be able to customize the notification sound they have to write a UI for that themselves. Outlook on iOS does it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Yeah I'm gonna give the ol' Gmail app another go. it's still not customizable but at least it doesn't use the default sound everyone has for text messages

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

have you considered Mail.app, op?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I get a lot of Promotions and I don't want them in the inbox thankyou!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my boss got the ipad pro :worship:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Silver Alicorn posted:

my boss got the ipad pro :worship:

i like mine a lot

it's also my first tablet so idk

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

and that helps you how

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

poty posted:

and that helps you how

you can filter everything sent to that address as spam once you're done w/the original company you gave the address to

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I'm mad. gently caress you. it's stupid.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poty posted:

and that helps you how

idiot

BONGHITZ posted:

retard

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

BONGHITZ posted:

poty mouth

poty
Jun 21, 2008

it was just a question guys please dont melt down

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
now that awful.app supports 3d touch now there is 3 things i use 3d touch with on my 6s. wow

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i like using threedee touch on non-supported apps for that "uh uh" vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

what does 3D Touch do

whoa that gets automatically capitalized

• Locked thread