Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Pistoph posted:

republicant, your tanks all sound so cool! I would love to see pics of this one, especially. I really love the look of CPDs.

I have a question about alkalinity. On my test kit, KH goes from 0-300. However on sites like LiveAquaria, KH is listed more often from like 8-12. Is this a simple conversion of moving the decimal? 180->18? How important a consideration is alkalinity when looking at fish options? From my reading, alkalinity is a buffer that prevents pH from dropping.

Would you guys risk keeping fish in a pH outside their ideal range?

I put a bit of food in and took a video to get a good sense of how "alive" the tank is:

https://youtu.be/hucXVSvaGYo

The group at the top is mainly lambchops and harlequins with an occasional CPD, and down in the grass is the domain of the emerald dwarfs, strawberry rasboras, pygmy cories, and some of the CPDs. It is a little on the overstocked side for a 20 gallon, but I'm running 100 gallons worth of HOB filtration with about 300 gallons worth of Purigen inside, along with a custom-made air powered filter with Fluval microfiltration pads and Eheim sintered glass biological media, and a bag of Seachem Matrix bio media hanging up in the stream of bubbles that comes out of the air filter, in the hopes that good bacteria will find it a great place to live. Sorry for the stupid noises my cat makes in the background, by the way.

I've gotten lucky so far keeping rasboras and danios, who prefer water on the softer and more acidic side, in my tap water, which is on the harder and more basic side. (It's not extremely basic, generally about 7.4/7.6, so just barely within or outside the upper range for these fish.) Though I did have an entire dozen CPDs disappear into thin air (water?) so I can't recommend it, especially if I never find out the reason why they disappeared/presumably died. I'm going to keep a very watchful eye on the new group I have now. I've taken people's advice that stability is much more important than what the actual values are, and fingers crossed that my fish stay alive and in the tank this time.

republicant fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Coolwhoami posted:

The only problem is that you're kinda stuck for your pH, which means you're going to have to stick to fish that do well in alkaline water. African cichlids, mollies, guppies and plecos are fish I know for sure are well suited to such conditions, but there is a wide variety of options otherwise.

I have neons, and my biggest complaint would be that they are a relatively boring fish if kept with anything the perceive as threatening, as they get extremely skittish. If you get them, get a lot of them (10 or more), as they tend to be more confident in larger schools.

Stoca Zola posted:

Neons are getting a reputation for being inbred and sickly due to unscrupulous breeders while cardinals are not yet experiencing those issues. They would be boring and timid in a situation where they feel unsafe ie not enough plant cover, not enough room to swim around, not a big enough school, an overly frisky or large tank mate putting them on edge etc. All tetras seem to squabble and form pecking orders inside their schools so again, too few fish and some of that aggression may be turned outwards towards other fish who don't know the correct social response that a tetra would expect, which results in fin nipping. Barbs' fin nipping reputation comes from a similar issue although in addition they constantly test everything in their environment to see if it's edible.

Thanks for all this great information, you guys! I'll do a bunch more research before I make any decisions, and your info has got me headed in the right direction!

Pistoph fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 6, 2015

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

republicant posted:

I put a bit of food in and took a video to get a good sense of how "alive" the tank is:

https://youtu.be/hucXVSvaGYo

The group at the top is mainly lambchops and harlequins with an occasional CPD, and down in the grass is the domain of the emerald dwarfs, strawberry rasboras, pygmy cories, and some of the CPDs. It is a little on the overstocked side for a 20 gallon, but I'm running 100 gallons worth of HOB filtration with about 300 gallons worth of Purigen inside, along with a custom-made air powered filter with Fluval microfiltration pads and Eheim sintered glass biological media, and a bag of Seachem Matrix bio media hanging up in the stream of bubbles that comes out of the air filter, in the hopes that good bacteria will find it a great place to live. Sorry for the stupid noises my cat makes in the background, by the way.

I've gotten lucky so far keeping rasboras and danios, who prefer water on the softer and more acidic side, in my tap water, which is on the harder and more basic side. (It's not extremely basic, generally about 7.4/7.6, so just barely within or outside the upper range for these fish.) Though I did have an entire dozen CPDs disappear into thin air (water?) so I can't recommend it, especially if I never find out the reason why they disappeared/presumably died. I'm going to keep a very watchful eye on the new group I have now. I've taken people's advice that stability is much more important than what the actual values are, and fingers crossed that my fish stay alive and in the tank this time.

Your tank looks so great! I wish my plants would fill out and look that good. They grow so slowly in my low tech setup.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Got rid of my java ferns. They were spitting out floating baby plants everywhere and clogging up the filters and driving me nuts.

At this point i may just try rehome my chain loach dickheads and tear down that tank and start over.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Alright so I got the bacteria mix the fish store recommended, Seachem Stability, and I'm going through the week long cycle now. I have about 20 plants in there of different varieties for oxygenation. I am going to leave it as is for the next month, except for a few more ground cover plants and some driftwood, but fish wise I'm leaving as is.

In preparation for future planning I want to start thinking about fish. I am currently running an Aqueon Quiet Flow 30, I am going to add a second one on the other side to increase filtration. I have a small powerhead coming to add a little flow to the tank as well as a heater to keep it at 75 degrees.

I am going to be adding a few more fish in December, I was thinking a few dwarf gouramis and some Cardinal tetras as well as a few ghost shrimp. Will this overload the tank with that filtration and plant mass or am I safe in adding a few more after it cycles? If I need to the store will take the giant danios back and resell them.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I went back to your original post to work out what you have, and plugged some guesses into Aqadvisor.com so unless you have literal giant danios, 16 zebras, 10 cardinals and 4 dwarf gourami plus the filters you mentioned are all fine. I wasn't sure since you said little ones and giant ones without specifying a species. Giant danios are either messier or fussier about their water and just 6 giants plus the other fish gets your tank to be overstocked and under filtered, even with plants and the extra filter but that just might mean a little more work keeping the tank clean especially if it's just temporary for winter. Giant danios jump more so you'd need to get a good lid. Anyway you can probably get aqadvisor working a bit better than me since you know the real dimensions of your tank and can put juvenile sizes of your fish in to get a better answer. It is a little bit conservative and doesn't take plants into account but good for ballpark ideas on filtration and stocking levels. Also I forgot shrimp when I did it! Oops.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Stoca Zola posted:

I went back to your original post to work out what you have, and plugged some guesses into Aqadvisor.com so unless you have literal giant danios, 16 zebras, 10 cardinals and 4 dwarf gourami plus the filters you mentioned are all fine. I wasn't sure since you said little ones and giant ones without specifying a species. Giant danios are either messier or fussier about their water and just 6 giants plus the other fish gets your tank to be overstocked and under filtered, even with plants and the extra filter but that just might mean a little more work keeping the tank clean especially if it's just temporary for winter. Giant danios jump more so you'd need to get a good lid. Anyway you can probably get aqadvisor working a bit better than me since you know the real dimensions of your tank and can put juvenile sizes of your fish in to get a better answer. It is a little bit conservative and doesn't take plants into account but good for ballpark ideas on filtration and stocking levels. Also I forgot shrimp when I did it! Oops.

Yeah I didn't know how conservative aquavisor was. I have 3 giant danios and 7 zebra danios right now (the other giants will not be caught but are somehow still alive outside). So I wanted to add 6 Cardinal tetras and 4 dwarf gouramis and 5 ghost shrimp. It said I can even add the 2 extra giant danios to bring the grouping to the recommended 5 without exceeding the filtration capacity but I would be at 95% stock. I didn't know if that was running too close to the edge.

I will probably just add the tetras first in December and let it all settle again before moving forward again in January with the gouramis and then the shrimp.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Ha, I probably undersized your tank to get the results I got. I'd want to prop up the population of tetras more than the danios if it was me. Less bioload, more overall benefit to the psychology of the fish. I don't have a heap of experience with either fish, I should say, but in my limited experience with danios they seem pretty happy go lucky as long as there is activity in the tank that they can get involved in. My sister couldn't keep her zebras, she bought them small and did not expect them to grow (but of course they did) and overcrowding killed all but two - a male long fin and a female - which she "donated" to me. The two zebras in a fairly unpopulated but planted tank chased each other and everything relentlessly, the male harassed the female constantly, and it didn't work too well; I moved them to my tank with a ton of rosy barbs and they became very relaxed with no aggression, and even though rosy barbs are a different shape and colour they hang around together quite happily. They'd probably be happier in a bigger school of their own kind but do not seem stressed now that they are among other fish with similar behaviour and activity levels to what they expect. Conversely, I've seen a minimum sized school of tetras (5)in a quiet tank with no other fish and all they do is hide. Your giants and zebras already "know" each other and would probably be fine not to add more. Hopefully someone who has actual experience with these fish can chime in because this is opinion based on speculation via minimal observation!

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
... I do have a couple mentally retarded neons that start fights and aren't the right color..

: sometimes they follow each other, don't worry.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Idk if this surprise dwarf puffer is going to make it and it makes me really sad. He came from the LFS looking really starved; our puffers are fat and happy and this guy's body looks concave. He hasn't had any interest in food yet but I'm crossing my fingers really hard that he will get more comfortable here and start accepting food. We're isolating him in his own little hospital tank. If he does recover then he's way too tiny to go in with our other puffers but we will figure out a place for him. Fortunately I'm a major fish food hoarder so we have about a million different foods to offer him and hopefully he will find something appetizing.

I hadn't realized how big my mystery snails have grown until I got new babies today. I wonder if they will be sexually mature and ready to breed soon. They haven't laid any eggs yet but they've been leaving the water unusually frequently lately; I keep seeing them completely above the water line and even sometimes exploring the top of the filter media (in-tank filter, not a HOB). Is this a sign that they're getting ready to lay eggs soon? Here is an older ivory meeting a baby ivory:

I don't know who picked out the name "ivory" mystery snail but I definitely think "pearl mystery snail" would be a better name. Their shells have the same kind of iridescence, and when they're tiny babies it looks exactly like pearls sprinkled throughout your aquarium. One of my favorite animals.

republicant fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 19, 2015

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Also one of my new harlequin rasboras was acting very strange last night; they're normally all at the top but it was down in the grass, freaking out and lashing out very viciously at anything that swam by, clearly actually trying to bite/attack. They're all fine now so my theory is that it got separated from the school, couldn't find its way back and was having a little fish panic attack. :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My second, still alive, koi angel doesn't seem quite right. He is pretty stationary and opening and closing his mouth fairly quickly. He didn't respond to food this morning. I'm worried he's going to die like the other koi angel did. Every other fish is great!

What can I do in this situation??

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Some days I look at my sandy bottom tank and wonder where all the snails went. Today I fed pre-soaked freeze dried bloodworms and tubifex and within a couple of minutes the hordes begun unearthing themselves from the sand. That worm water must have smelled good! There really are a lot of MTS in there, but when the food is gone, they completely vanish. I guess they are doing their job of moving through the sand and keeping it aerated in between mealtimes. Sometimes I do spot a curious wormsnout poking up out of the sand, so they do keep an eye on whats going on.

Republicant what have you got in the way of live food? Maybe something that moves will trigger the poor puffer's natural instincts, but from what I've read its better to only offer small amounts at a time to a starved fish to let their metabolism catch up slowly. Can you see if his beak is overgrown or anything? There might be a reason why he can't eat properly.

Weird about your harlequin, definitely worth keeping an eye on in case he's a bit special needs or is getting picked on by other fish.

ShaneB gasping could mean some problem with his gills, possibly flukes? You could try a medicated dip or you might want to dose your whole tank in case the parasite has been introduced to your other fish too. Fluke medication should be pretty easy to come by and it doesn't disrupt the filter or hurt plants as far as I know. Might be the same issue that your first angel died from?

I bought some fittings today and did some test runs with a pump, I have some plans in mind to set up separate housing for some controlled and contained guppy breeding - that or I'm going to get my carpet very wet. I already squirted myself in the face with manky fish water twice when underestimating how strong the jet of water out of the pump would be. I'm going to have to think very carefully on how to make it all as fail safe as possible. I've found someone local who is interested in any guppies that I don't want, which is a relief! I have far too many random ones already.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
So since my angelfish ate all the shrimp, I decided to get a few nerite snails to be my cleaning crew and turned them loose. They baffle the hell out of the angels as they kinda stare at the snails when they crawl along the glass and take a random peck at times.
They do piss the platy off though when she sleeps on the bottom, one always manages to bump into her and send her off for another sleeping spot

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My 7 inch severum used to share a tank with a 13 inch tiger oscar and they got along famously. They used to act like they were going to spawn even, cleaning rocks, and tail slapping. Unfortunately the oscar died and I decided to consolidate tanks. That same 7 inch severum is now penned up in the corner and being bullied by....a 2 inch firemouth. :allears: Ah cichlids.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I had to move my 2 idiot Ryukins inside into the not quite ready tank because they were floating upside down around the pond like some kind of loving retarded fish balloons. Got them inside and warmed up and fed them some peas and they both took giant nasty goldfish shits and started floating a bit better.

It's only been running for a few days but the ammonia levels are already at 0, which is good. Probably has more to do with the mass of plants then anything else. Or maybe the Stability is as good as the reviews say it is.

Anyway I'm hoping I can get the Ryukins back into the pond before I leave town for 5 days next week. I would rather they not poison the danios with their poo poo.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I talked a co-worker out of buying oscars today :toot:

That's my good fish deed for the month.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Decided to document the sand snails.

Before feeding:

After feeding:

You can see the layers forming in the sand; knowing I wanted a sand substrate for the cories I did some reading and came to the conclusion that it is better to have deeper sand that is disturbed only by the action of snails/planarians and the roots of plants, so that the different layers of bacteria and oxygenation can form. This then adds to the biological filtration capacity of the tank. I have been able to uproot excess vals plants from this sand by gentle jiggles without bringing up any of the discoloured black sand layer, and the top layer of sand never looks dirty or seems to need anything vacuumed from it. I feel like this substrate is working and fish safe.

Errant Gin Monks I thought you weren't supposed to feed goldfish at all over winter (or once it drops below a certain temp)? Their metabolism is too slow and they can't digest the food so it just rots in them.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Shakenbaker posted:

I talked a co-worker out of buying oscars today :toot:

That's my good fish deed for the month.

When I was younger I kept 2 oscars and a pleco in a 55g for 8 years. Now that I'm a grownup I wouldn't keep 1 in less than a 75g and 2 in less than a 120g. They are amazingly great pets but they need bigger tanks than most hobbyists will ever own. It makes me kind of sad that they are so widely available because the overwhelming majority can't end up in adaquate tanks.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's only been running for a few days but the ammonia levels are already at 0, which is good. Probably has more to do with the mass of plants then anything else. Or maybe the Stability is as good as the reviews say it is.

Anyway I'm hoping I can get the Ryukins back into the pond before I leave town for 5 days next week. I would rather they not poison the danios with their poo poo.

I thought plants only converted nitrates at the end of the cycle? I wouldn't think they'd be doing anything for the ammonia apart from housing a bunch of good bacteria.
:ohdear: I hope the goldfish don't start eating/uprooting all your plants. I've heard they're pretty notorious for it.

I've had three of my ten ghost shrimp die since I brought them home on Sunday. The first I think I cooked because my heater is finicky and was running nonstop even though the temp was at 82. Poor shrimp. The other two though were white, not pink when I pulled them out. Seemingly no new deaths today, but I wish I knew what was killing the others.
I wigged myself out the other day because Ichabod's chest was looking swollen and he was really lethargic. I was terrified he had dropsy, but his color was good and he was swimming fine and his scales were all flat. I decided to give it overnight before I posted and he's back to full form. I am beginning to think he is just incredibly lazy, though. It seems like any swimming he does is to find a new napping spot.

I'm considering getting livebearers even though I've had them before, just because that's what seems to fit best with the water parameters here and because they are unlikely to pick fights with the betta. I'm thinking of getting a small group (1 male, 4 females) of platys or mollies and maybe just letting nature tank its course in the tank if they have fry? Is that cruel? AqAdvisor says that with the sponge filter I plan on adding, I can support a school of ten fully grown platys.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Stoca Zola posted:

Errant Gin Monks I thought you weren't supposed to feed goldfish at all over winter (or once it drops below a certain temp)? Their metabolism is too slow and they can't digest the food so it just rots in them.

This is kind of true based on my reading. It's more temperature and less season. It doesn't get to an average of the low 50s here until late December or early January. I also haven't fed these idiots in almost a week but that doesn't stop them from eating the gently caress out of every plant I have in the pond. I fed them when our highs were in the 80s and the lows were in the 60s, but that was 4 days ago. We just got a cold snap that have highs in the mid 70s and lows (aside from the first night) in the 50s.

Anyway hopefully these guys straighten back up in time for me to fast them for two days and put them back outside.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Pistoph posted:

I thought plants only converted nitrates at the end of the cycle? I wouldn't think they'd be doing anything for the ammonia apart from housing a bunch of good bacteria.

That's not necessarily true, some plants preferentially use ammonia and will only start on the nitrates when there is no ammonia left; duckweed is a good example (although problematic in that its blanketing effect can mess with oxygen exchange if you let it get out of hand). I don't know any other plants off the top of my head that do it but I bet duckweed isn't the only one. It's probably just one of the fastest since it has good access to CO2 as a floating plant. I don't care where the ammonia goes as long as it's not poisoning my fish!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
From what I understand plants follow the nitrogen cycle differently. They prefer ammonia as it's easier to break the nitrogen out of. They will uptake nitrites turn them into nitrates then ammonia to break up. They will also take up nitrates and turn it into ammonia to break up. So both the plants and the bacteria compete for ammonia and nitrites but only plants utilize nitrates. In order they prefer ammonia, then nitrates, then nitrites.

But that's just what I have read when researching my planned aquarium it may not be correct.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I was reading more on it too since I'd always heard that plants will consume nitrate but I realised I was just assuming this was true. According to whoever wrote this article, while terrestrial plants do tend to prefer nitrates, aquatic plants tend to prefer to directly use ammonia if available since it requires less energy to process. I am guessing this relates to the lesser amount of solar energy that an aquatic plant receives compared to a regular terrestrial plant, it makes sense that plants would utilize the most easily accessible nitrogen source first. This article suggests ammonia first, then nitrites, then nitrate last apart from a a few plants. Either way, it looks like plants are a really good protective measure for livestock vs nitrogen wastes. It looks like it is possible for an overstocked or underplanted tank to still accumulate nitrates and still require water changes, but water changes are a good idea for a lot of reasons not just nitrate dilution.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Huh. Well, you learn something new every day! All the more reason to love plants in the aquarium!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I got my pearl gourami. I hate acclimating so much, it's the most nervewracking part of the hobby aside from all the other nervewracking parts of the hobby.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

When I was younger I kept 2 oscars and a pleco in a 55g for 8 years. Now that I'm a grownup I wouldn't keep 1 in less than a 75g and 2 in less than a 120g. They are amazingly great pets but they need bigger tanks than most hobbyists will ever own. It makes me kind of sad that they are so widely available because the overwhelming majority can't end up in adaquate tanks.

This reminded me of this poor fella I saw at a fish store a few weeks back:

I believe this is a giant gourami. At least 14 inches long. The tank was so small it could barely turn around inside, poor fish :(

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Definitely a giant gourami. Poor thing.

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
my fish tank got poisoned by a petco otto. :banjo:

Should I wait for my real heater in a couple days, or move the shrimp out and medicate? .. :D

dumpieXL fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 21, 2015

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I'm beginning to think more and more about selling snails. I would not expect to make any significant profit off of it, but my Japanese trapdoors breed like pond snails, my pink and blue ramshorns keep laying eggs, my 12 baby Sulawesis will breed one day and I think I'll be able to bear getting rid of them when I end up having like 50 of them, and my fleet of 13 juvenile mystery snails are very rapidly reaching breeding age and are going to make hundreds of babies. My boyfriend gave me 3 Columbian ramshorns, which are actually a type of apple snail and which I'd never seen before, and I would love for them to breed. And I would even like to set up a brackish tank and dabble in breeding nerites and Faunus ater/devil snails. Basically I would like to find people who are willing to cover the shipping costs in return for a crap load of snails, so that I can experiment with genetics and breed snails for fun without having to make room for hundreds of them. Goals.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dumpieXL posted:

my fish tank got poisoned by a petco otto. :banjo:

Should I wait for my real heater in a couple days, or move the shrimp out and medicate? .. :D

What exactly is going on?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I read that as the oto died and stank up the tank, but then, you don't medicate for that you just change out for clean water. If dumpie thinks a heater will help, maybe its ich? But that's not poison per se, maybe the hypothetical dead oto died of the cold??? - Come on dumpie post pics and gory details, don't leave us hanging! I'm all for tank shaming but that's for people who aren't interested in learning, I see this thread as an opportunity to share info (and pictures) and learn, so don't be scared that we might yell at you.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

republicant posted:

Basically I would like to find people who are willing to cover the shipping costs in return for a crap load of snails, so that I can experiment with genetics and breed snails for fun without having to make room for hundreds of them. Goals.
Have you done any research into how much it would cost to ship? I would love to set up a tank with a couple of the gorgeous snails you've got. Do ramshorns prefer harder water like nerites do? If so, I've got that in spades! If not, bummer. How's that one snail with the weird things coming out of him, btw? Did you ever find out what it was?

PS My betta is seriously the chillest mofo ever. I just fed him some freeze dried mysis shrimp, which he decided he didn't like, so I gave him some daphnia instead. Three ghost shrimp swim up and over and around him to steal the mysis that are still floating and he's just like, "eh." Also, everything's a betta hammock if he tries hard enough. Decorative stump, tons of plants, a rock, the outside of his new floating log, the corner of the tank, one of the snails...Is this normal behavior for a betta?

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
I could be wrong and it could be nothing at all.
I'm just blaming the otto who died because now that whole set of tanks in under quarantine at petco. :colbert:

betta had 3 small white things on him a couple days ago, 2 went away next day, 3rd went away, now there's 3 new ones on the other side of him..
About 4 of my neons have a similar white speck, all on their dorsal fish, very close to their body.

Ich?

dumpieXL fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 21, 2015

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

dumpieXL posted:

I'm just blaming the otto who died because now that whole set of tanks in under quarantine at petco. :colbert:

betta had 3 small white things on him a couple days ago, 2 went away next day, 3rd went away, now there's 3 new ones on the other side of him..
About 4 of my neons have a similar white speck, all on their dorsal fish, very close to their body.

Ich?

Can you post pictures? If you aren't sure what you're fighting, it's not usually a good idea to throw medicine at it willy nilly. Seems like a lot of people in this thread have had good luck with the heat+salt treatment for speeding up the ich lifecycle and preventing them from reattaching, but yeah, don't want to boil your shrimp. What kind of shrimp do you have? Maybe you can dose with aquarium salt in the meantime to build up your fishy's slime coats? I'd definitely wait for a more seasoned tank keeper's advice before acting, though.
Can you ask the employees at petco what the tanks were quarantined for? If you can get a positive id, you'll have a better time treating. Also I think Petco has a reimbursal policy for sick fish if you bring the body back.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

dumpieXL posted:

Ich?

I was able to beat an Ich outbreak in my tank by [i[slowly[/i] raising the temperature up to around 84 with shrimp in the tank. This was with Ghost Shrimp and Amanos in the tank, RCS should be able to handle the higher temps as well but the key is to do raise it slowly, I think I went from 76 to 85 over the course of 3 days. That said, like the poster above me mentioned you'd want to at least be fairly confident that is in fact what you're dealing with. The fact that some of the white spots went away and then came back on the other side of the fish is indicative of Ich since that's how the life cycle works. Pictures would help.

Since I just discovered this thread, here is my 20 Long I just rescaped a bit and planted some monte carlo and s repens in!

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 21, 2015

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It does sound like ich, but by the time you see the white cysts the parasite has already been on the fish for a while. When the white things come off the fish they release juvenile parasites into the water, so it sounds like the process has started, they are in the water and substrate and will spread unless you act. Doubtful the oto died from ich because he would have been covered in white spots, but doesn't mean he wasn't carrying or maybe even the water he came in could have had juvenile ich in it. Alternative visible skin lesions could be anchor worms lice or flukes whereas ich look like a grain of salt or sand, so try and be sure of what the lesions are before you decide what to do. Definitely quiz the store!

Anyway early on the heat/salt method is your best bet if you can knock ich on the head before the numbers of parasites get too high. Vacuuming the gravel will help remove the larva before they develop enough to swim back on to the fish so that's something you could do to help while waiting for your heater to arrive, and you should continue to do it after you start treating. You don't want it to get to the point where you need to medicate. Finding a medication that works is a pain in the arse. I've heard you can do a dip of the affected fish rather than salting your whole tank if for some reason you can't do that. I don't know how often you'd have to do that though or for how long, for it to be effective, and I reckon netting the fish each time to dip them for however many weeks would be a huge hassle and the fish would probably hate it too.

My experience is I saw a single spot on the ventral fin of a new tetra and assumed it was ich, it took a good three or four weeks for the spot to go away and to confirm no new spots appeared on any of the other fish. And I ramped my heat and salinity up fairly slowly to avoid shocking the fish too much. You're supposed to add extra aeration when you run a tank hotter since the water will hold less oxygen. If you want specific instructions on how to do it there a lot around on the net, read a few and find a consensus; it worked for me but I don't remember exactly what I did. From my recollection the amount of salt required to be effective is something like 2 parts per thousand which was not enough to affect any of my fairly hardy plants.

Hot jam that's a great long tank, I love the look!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This guy just keeps not seeming right. Today I noticed that he seems to have inflammation or red streaks inside his body or something... I'm not sure he came looking like this. Everybody else is still fine.

Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5PPM.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Pearls are out and about today. They've colored up a lot even just since yesterday. They are still pretty shy, but I expected that. I might actually have to cut back on the floating plants a bit, all the guppy grass is clumped up in one area. It's hard to get a headcount because they are so shy and because there are a lot of hiding places in the tank. They are pretty and graceful and I love their feelers and they will probably be my favorite fish in the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
They look like grains of salt/sand, basically textbook to any pics I've seen. I'd provide pics but poo poo phone and Walmart grow lights don't mix. lol..

Heater and air pump came in today, I'll drop by petco later and see what the quarantine is all about.