Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm rather wondering what function a liner could have. Nobody would send one into an invasion frontline, unless it's requisitioned as a troopship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Loxbourne posted:

I'm rather wondering what function a liner could have. Nobody would send one into an invasion frontline, unless it's requisitioned as a troopship.

Again, was talking to Simon a bit about this. Hawk have the idea that there are Battlestar Galactica style refugee ships/flotillas out there that have been hiding out in the outer regions since the Scourge invasion. Now that the UCM reconquest is underway the navigation beacons have been reactivated and the survivors are starting to risk coming back looking for supplies and other humans.

Their access to military vessels after so long in isolation/on the run is too limited for them to be a full faction but they could turn up and make for scenario material. Hawk are thinking about releasing them in sets like dropzones bunkers or monorail so in effect they would be interactive scenery/objectives.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's some more Shaltari pics

http://natfka.blogspot.ch/2015/11/massive-shaltari-pics-and-new-stretch.html

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Thread derail... sorry :)

Any UK goons interested in buying the DZC starter set off of me? sans tape measure and dice, everything's painted and I'll throw in a couple of snazzy little UCM gunship type thingies that I painted up an age ago :v: None of the buildings are assembled, it's practically everything barring the dice and tape measure.

I bought it, got the odds and sods all painted up and... completely failed to get any of my regular opponents interested in playing, not even once. Hrmpf. So I'm trying to liquidate it into hobby funds and clear some shelf space.

Looking for around £40 posted to the UK.

Managed to shift it :v:

enri fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 20, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Here is my warfare report.

I thought I should use the blog I set up more.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm surprised to see Minders! How are you finding them? I don't think I've ever seen them in action.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Loxbourne posted:

I'm surprised to see Minders! How are you finding them? I don't think I've ever seen them in action.

They are drat useful! In my opinion they are better than Prowlers - Yeah, they suffer a bit against PHR, needing 5's to damage things, but they are 4 separate targets that hit on a 2+. You can also get them 20 inches deployed on turn one!

Being able to add 8 extra AA shots and scouts to a unit for 8 points each is very useful!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Minders get quite a lot of use in UK lists I've seen. Apparently they were underrated early on but opinion shifted abruptly when someone used them to win at Invasion.

I should do a quick write-up on warfare but the short version is that it fun to freak people out with double type-4's!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

So, uh, yeah. There's the first painted PHR ship. :getin:

Tomorrow should be interesting too, they're going to be posting a bunch of info on the Kickstarter battlecruisers.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So I suddenly have an urge to start a 3rd DFC fleet...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
All that flat space is begging for somebody to put the ship names there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
That ship has Beavis' underbite and it bugs me a lil bit

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

That ship has Beavis' underbite

You've got the nose art figured out then.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Pierzak posted:

You've got the nose art figured out then.

Oh god

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I both like it and still wish that there were panel lines breaking up that huge expanse of blank space on top.

I will need to learn techniques like masking for painting on detail that doesn't rely on my terrible freehand. I keep painting over my recent attempts as most things I try are cringe worthingly bad. :(

What did you all think of the activation cards? Gotta be honest, the pitch left me cold and I think I will probably be coming up with something else.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 24, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If you're serious about masking and stenciling you could look into a silhouette cutter. You might be able to find a used one or older model for a reasonable price.

And yeah, the cards seem useful but they feel like something that should be in the starter set.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

My current plan is lines of tape to replicate some of the Homeworld-style markings, using the same colours (turquoise, blue grey, light grey) as my ground forces.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Part of me wants to do them in a dazzle scheme... but i know I'd regret it 5 mins in...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Lobster God posted:

Part of me wants to do them in a dazzle scheme... but i know I'd regret it 5 mins in...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

Maybe a simplified version? Use tape to do successive triangular shards in two or three colours.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Those PHR ships! :circlefap:

I... I'm going to end up buying every fleet, aren't I?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Everywhere

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

LazyAngel posted:

Maybe a simplified version? Use tape to do successive triangular shards in two or three colours.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking of! Got my 5mil masking tape at the ready....

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I want to see a PHR cruiser done up like a rat rod in bright glossy reds and oranges with tons of flame stencils and 8 balls and other goofy poo poo.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

What did you all think of the activation cards? Gotta be honest, the pitch left me cold and I think I will probably be coming up with something else.
The cards are just a dumb, little add-on and aren't necessary in the slightest. I see the uses for their versions, but even scraps of paper with letters on them will work. You just have to be aware of what's in your groups and their resulting command value. Anyone should be able to handle that after putting together a list. Whatever.

For my PHR ships, I'm going to continue the two-tone scheme I have for my Dropzone units. Majority dark red with some panels picked out in yellow. It'll be easy to carry over and if I get bored I can go full-on Foss and add some stripes. That hex pattern linked above is interesting though.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Battlecrusiers are up including an Add-on one for the UCM.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So, they're making a new KS-exclusive ship class now? Or are those just variants of the non-exclusive ones?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Leonidas is fat as hell.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pierzak posted:

So, they're making a new KS-exclusive ship class now? Or are those just variants of the non-exclusive ones?

Pretty sure the particular models are exclusive to the KS, but the rules and an alternate model will be available for everyone at retail.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure the particular models are exclusive to the KS, but the rules and an alternate model will be available for everyone at retail.

Basically this. KS exclusive models for the battlecruiser class, which will get different models released to retail at some point. They expressly state that the KS exclusive models will have special rules not allowed in tournament play, but will be allowed as proxys for rule book battlecruisers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Time to pull the trigger. Not sure what I'm going to bolt on besides the BC. Maybe a launch assets pack?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The battlecruisers look interesting! The UCM Avalon is decidedly cooler than the Atlantis, which looks like a weird experimental hybrid.

Is the Adamant asymmetrical there? It looks like one side has the "rack of turrets pointing forward at 45 degrees" upper prong, while the one closest to the camera has a particle cannon instead. That could make for a very interesting vessel if it has a powerful nose cannon but a dead zone on the forward port quarter.

The Basilisk has something going on with those eye-like mounts on the nose "deck", too.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

Is the Adamant asymmetrical there? It looks like one side has the "rack of turrets pointing forward at 45 degrees" upper prong, while the one closest to the camera has a particle cannon instead. That could make for a very interesting vessel if it has a powerful nose cannon but a dead zone on the forward port quarter.

Here is a better picture to let you know whats going on. Looks like an awesome ship to me.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I guess i might as well post the additional pictures of the other ones also.

I have a feeling being in the Leonidas' broadside is going to hurt very very badly.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The BCs seem to be the only part that's KS-exclusive, so I guess I'll do a nice Basilisk, launch assets (I love me some fighters), and then maybe a map set. To do bolt-ons, you just add the money to your pledge and then say which ones you want in the post-KS survey, right?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

wdarkk posted:

The BCs seem to be the only part that's KS-exclusive, so I guess I'll do a nice Basilisk, launch assets (I love me some fighters), and then maybe a map set. To do bolt-ons, you just add the money to your pledge and then say which ones you want in the post-KS survey, right?

Ya, just make sure you remember to include money in your pledge for shipping to.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

Ya, just make sure you remember to include money in your pledge for shipping to.

It looks like it handles that for you, unless you have to pay separate shipping for additional items.

(This is the first time I've kickstartered something that had a physical bit.)

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

wdarkk posted:

It looks like it handles that for you, unless you have to pay separate shipping for additional items.

(This is the first time I've kickstartered something that had a physical bit.)

I think its a set amount of the whole thing. It was something like 10 pound to ship to the US.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

I think its a set amount of the whole thing. It was something like 10 pound to ship to the US.

Yeah. I'm lucky backer 2650 :toot:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Three cool ships and the PHR Leonidas. Which by the looks of it will be an utter badass rules wise even if it is fat.

I cant decide if my favourite is the Scourge of Shaltari here, I like the Scourge prow a lot, but then the quad cannon symmetry of the Shaltari just looks deadly. It is a nice set of models and the pledging looks to have jumped, 400k is imminent and the final week has yet to begin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I don't play PHR in DZC, don't have any intention of playing PHR in DZC, and yet I've changed my pledge to 2 PHR starters and probably a Leonidas because needle-like space opera ships with massive broadsides are absolutely the best.

It is probably mentioned in the fluff, which I confess I haven't read, but are the broadsides supposed to be kinetic or beam? The look of the PHR makes me imagine they're those bendy lasers you see in certain kinds of space opera.