Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

The reason I bring it up though is because how Cho'Gall handles usernames.

In case anyone was wondering, the answer is "as long as you have the language filter off"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
So in Fallout 4, Power Armor negates all fall damage. About halfway through the story, you get to visit a Very High Spoiler, so naturally the first thing I did when I got there was jump off for chuckles.

I landed safely with the deafening WHUMPTH, you know, the killer shockwave that happens when you jump off of things.
Of course, then my companion, also in a suit, landed on top of me. Goomba-stomped. It was so great I couldn't even get mad.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I can't stop using artillery. I hate bloatflies, took out a nest with artillery. I hit a stag the other day with artillery.

I basically have spent what little time I have to play going to each settlement, upgrading it enough to support an artillery piece, then I shell everything around it till I run out of range.

I then raid the insides of whatever camp that just got shelled out of existence so I can get more supplies, in order to build more artillery.

I have 15 settlements so far. The commonwealth will grow in size and protection with giant gently caress-off cannons protecting them from everything. The rest of the game can be total poo poo, but this is like the best kind of sniping you can do in any game ever. It's extra fun with super mutants, they head toward the smoke, wide-eyed in wonder at what the hell it is.

Also melee is extremely fun once you get the disarm perk and learn the fight patterns of the different enemies. Lot's of fun going toe to toe against a foe in power armor with a power fist, and all I have is a serrated Chinese officer sword and my general's uniform on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc Morbid posted:

The USS Constitution mission was the moment I stopped listening to Piper's comments. She wanted me to support the local scavengers because "getting those resources to people is more important than supporting some robots' fantasy" gently caress that, those scavengers were assholes and didn't deserve a goddamn thing except the several broadsides I fired in their general direction.

Look, Cait, that ship is going to fly on rockets. Even if it fails it'll be spectacular, so stop getting upset at me helping the robots and help me murder these scavengers in cold blood :commissar:.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Len posted:

You got mad they made the protagonist married and straight and having a kid because that stops you from roleplaying The Doctor.

Easy fix. Sell wedding ring items, ignore the tutorial stuff, and start really being the doctor once you get out of the Vault. Immersion is amazing.

Not sure if this game will work too well with a total realism playthrough. I like to try and only loot things I believe I could reasonably carry in a backpack or with straps. So junk and scraps aren't too feasible and I limit myself to very few weapons.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look, Cait, that ship is going to fly on rockets. Even if it fails it'll be spectacular, so stop getting upset at me helping the robots and help me murder these scavengers in cold blood :commissar:.

The scavengers shot first. :colbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Arx Monolith posted:

Easy fix. Sell wedding ring items, ignore the tutorial stuff, and start really being the doctor once you get out of the Vault. Immersion is amazing.

Not sure if this game will work too well with a total realism playthrough. I like to try and only loot things I believe I could reasonably carry in a backpack or with straps. So junk and scraps aren't too feasible and I limit myself to very few weapons.

Yeah, I should say that while I'm not actually playing as the Doctor (I used that as a comparison point to explain one of my three characters, who isn't even the one I'm playing), I've done this and it's working well enough. There's still a lot of lines about babies I have to either shrug off or sometimes be unreasonably dickish to people to avoid, but the underlying game is fun enough that I don't mind.

This is the first time in a Bethesda game that I've just straight-up not cared to continue the main plot, and while that itself is a bad thing, it's also the Bethesda game that's the best for that. I can just not bother with Sanctuary, hole up in my gas station, customize and name my weapons because they're clearly my best friends in this world, and then in the morning just pick a direction and go.

EDIT: vv Not as far as I can tell, but it's where a lot of the reminders of 'you are a married parent, you should be looking for your son' are. Just straight-up not being there has improved avoiding that considerably.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Nov 22, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

This is the first time in a Bethesda game that I've just straight-up not cared to continue the main plot, and while that itself is a bad thing, it's also the Bethesda game that's the best for that. I can just not bother with Sanctuary, hole up in my gas station, customize and name my weapons because they're clearly my best friends in this world, and then in the morning just pick a direction and go.

Is sanctuary the only place the main plot happens? Because it's my base of operation and I haven't had much to do with the main plot. I just like the town because it's an actual town.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RE: USS Constitution

Be sure to visit where it actually landed. You can take elevators up the build it's in. You get the best piece of head-wear in the game.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Babe Magnet posted:

RE: USS Constitution

Be sure to visit where it actually landed. You can take elevators up the build it's in. You get the best piece of head-wear in the game.

gently caress. Thank you so much for telling me this.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you are welcome my friend

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Someone mentioned your Fallout 4 character saying things like "Sure" "I see..." and "Go on..." when you're advancing a conversation. After drinking, this changes to, "SING IT BROTHER!" "eeeeeYUP" and a sassy "MM-HMM!" I discovered this while one of my companions was telling me their sad life story.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pancho Jueves posted:

Someone mentioned your Fallout 4 character saying things like "Sure" "I see..." and "Go on..." when you're advancing a conversation. After drinking, this changes to, "SING IT BROTHER!" "eeeeeYUP" and a sassy "MM-HMM!" I discovered this while one of my companions was telling me their sad life story.

Well time to turn my character into an alcoholic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pancho Jueves posted:

Nuebot posted:

Well time to turn my character into an alcoholic.

Uh yeah I think this is pretty much mandatory now. :stare:

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Your quotes for initiatng conversations also change from "Hey [name]" or "hello" to "eyyyyyyy" and "[hic] sup?"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

any other interactions with chems?
I can imagine Psycho being all "YEAAAH" "OH YEAH"

Also the female psycho roar is less psycho more parent pretending to be dinosaur to 4 year old.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fatman Critical Strikes in VATS. The camera follows the drat nuke as it unerringly flies towards the target, some poor bastard's face.

Critical Strikes in general, they loving rule.

Also I was clearing out a settlement when I realised I'd lost Dogmeat. He turned up inside a locked house. He has no idea how to use his wizard powers.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
While exploring an urban setting I came upon the sounds of battle. Instead of 2 factions fighting each other I came upon an NPC named Art who was fighting.....Art

Oh Bethesda, I thought, as I took screenshots (I couldn't get them both in 1 pic as they were running around and the fight ends quite quickly). As I am trying to figure out how to record this, it hits me...

SYNTH!

The fight was over quickly, VATS doesn't give any indication which is which. The victor simply reverts to peaceful mode and continues on. I tried repeatedly to find a way to differentiate them naturally while alive, you can check the body after for synth components. I was really hoping Dogmeat could be used to detect synths but looking back I probably didn't use the command function. In the end I killed the synth by save scumming at which point an audibly shaken Art wanders into a raider base and died?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HAmbONE posted:

While exploring an urban setting I came upon the sounds of battle. Instead of 2 factions fighting each other I came upon an NPC named Art who was fighting.....Art

Oh Bethesda, I thought, as I took screenshots (I couldn't get them both in 1 pic as they were running around and the fight ends quite quickly). As I am trying to figure out how to record this, it hits me...

SYNTH!

If you come upon those guys just a bit earlier, Art is being held up by Art, who is threatening to kill him under the claim that he's the synth. Art pleads to you to help him because he's not a synth and has a wife and children, but Art tells you that Art is lying. So then it's up to you to decide which Art to help out in the ensuing fight.

It's a pretty cool encounter.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Nov 22, 2015

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

CJacobs posted:

If you come upon those guys just a bit earlier, Art is being held up by Art, who is threatening to kill him under the claim that he's the synth. Art pleads to you to help him because he's not a synth and has a wife and children, but Art tells you that Art is lying. So then it's up to you to decide which Art to help out in the ensuing fight.

And thus this becomes a Love/hate thing with Bethesda. I didn't start the fight between them and when I came upon them I quicksaved. My previous hard save was about a good 45mins back. So by cautiously approaching gunfire on my way to an objective and not saving every 5 minutes I missed out on a very interesting part of this little story.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

HAmbONE posted:

SYNTH!

The fight was over quickly, VATS doesn't give any indication which is which. The victor simply reverts to peaceful mode and continues on. I tried repeatedly to find a way to differentiate them naturally while alive, you can check the body after for synth components. I was really hoping Dogmeat could be used to detect synths but looking back I probably didn't use the command function. In the end I killed the synth by save scumming at which point an audibly shaken Art wanders into a raider base and died?

I got a notification once that the settlement at Sunshine Trading Co-Op was under attack and went to help, only to find that the settlers shooting each other. Took me a minute to figure out the Synth infestation. I fixed what resources had been damaged and built a couple of new turrets, and within minutes everything I built had been sabotaged.

There's still a synth or two infiltrating that settlement, but after the outbreak of violence they're laying low and just sabotaging what they can to starve the settlers out.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

With top CHA you interrogate both and find out. You can also say you're with the institute using CHA and the synth levels with you and asks for help killing the real Art.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

I got a notification once that the settlement at Sunshine Trading Co-Op was under attack and went to help, only to find that the settlers shooting each other. Took me a minute to figure out the Synth infestation. I fixed what resources had been damaged and built a couple of new turrets, and within minutes everything I built had been sabotaged.

There's still a synth or two infiltrating that settlement, but after the outbreak of violence they're laying low and just sabotaging what they can to starve the settlers out.

Holy poo poo, for real?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

HAmbONE posted:

SYNTH!

If you have the perk that tells you enemy weaknesses you can see in VATS that the fake has electrical resistance.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I just started playing Resident Evil 6 with a buddy, and the combat is so much better than 5 it's unbelievable. Movement is far smoother and faster, and the game drowns you in ammo to help with the bullet-sponge enemies. Also melee is surprisingly viable, and there's nothing like sweeping a zombie's legs in time for your buddy to elbow drop or curb stomp its head.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you wanna wrassle zombies, RE6 is your game. Absolutely everything else about it is poo poo, but I will not poo poo on the ability to wrestle with many different zombiemen.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Agent Hunt was the goddamn coolest thing about RE6 at launch and it's a shame no one will ever again know the special joy of completing a mission objective while successfully fighting off three other people trying to stop you. I remember one time I was about to finish a mission and I dropped a dude and he started cocooning into another monster so instead of just running to the door I switched to a magnum and dropped onto my back and blew the dude away with two shots as soon as he got out. Most of that game was insane rear end but the combat mechanics and Mercenaries and Agent Hunt got me my money's worth out of it and then some.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I have never heard of this Agent Hunt guy, outside of an option to disable him in co-op. But I've honestly just started melee'ing and wrestling zombies over shooting them, partly because the game won't let me shoot zombies that are playing dead. And partly because half of those zombies chose to lay on the floor, just asking to get their heads stomped in.

I'm a little sad I can't wrestle the huge fat zombies or the weird skinless guys, just the normal enemies. :(

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Nov 23, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Melee was generally a lot stronger than bullets in RE6

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Agent Hunt is other people joining your game as enemies and it was cool when enough people were playing to make that a thing that would actually happen often.

Also Alteisen is right and RE 6 is all about shooting a dude in the right place to stagger them and then wailing on them with melee. You really want to take he time to learn every enemy's weak point. RE6 really could have been one of the greatest games of all time, that combat system is impeccable. Too bad about all the poo poo that isn't combat.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
F04 there's a police terminal detailing a grand theft auto case #114-GTA with log numbers NiCo-00 and NiCo-01.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

Also Alteisen is right and RE 6 is all about shooting a dude in the right place to stagger them and then wailing on them with melee. You really want to take he time to learn every enemy's weak point. RE6 really could have been one of the greatest games of all time, that combat system is impeccable. Too bad about all the poo poo that isn't combat.

Basically Capcom should just make a full blown larger scale online Mercenaries game for the PC and consoles and let people have at it. Include different game mods so it doesn't get too stale too fast and it'd probably do better than most of the recent RE games.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That reminds me the Mercenaries 2 commercial had the best song and I'm pretty sure it was made just for the trailer. https://youtu.be/daIrc6uBRkc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

That reminds me the Mercenaries 2 commercial had the best song and I'm pretty sure it was made just for the trailer. https://youtu.be/daIrc6uBRkc

Yes, if I remember right you could download the full version on the website for the game or something even. It's pretty catchy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

The full-length version is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbE3fGfF-o

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

QuietLion posted:

I'm a little sad I can't wrestle the huge fat zombies or the weird skinless guys, just the normal enemies. :(

The best way to kill bloodshots (weird skinless guys) is to wait for them to jump at you and then grab them out of the air and stomp on them for an instant kill, actually.

gently caress the Mercenaries mode in that game was phenomenal. I'd buy an entire game of it with expanded map selection and character roster.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

F04 there's a police terminal detailing a grand theft auto case #114-GTA with log numbers NiCo-00 and NiCo-01.

I found a police terminal the other day with a log entry by a cop complaining about all the loose cannons in his office causing no end of trouble but luckily he was only three days until retirement (which was dated something like a day before the bomb.)

There's also a terminal in a raider base detailing how they went from Minutemen who quit after the previous General died and their slow descent into becoming raiders. They tried being mercenaries and their leader even mentions having to hang a couple of guys because they were attacking caravans to bring food back to the base. Then he starts talking about how the people they work for keeping stiffing them on pay and the traders in towns refuse to work with them to at least getting some food.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Nov 23, 2015

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
More Fallout 4 stuff:

I was wandering around the Boston Library to figure out how to get inside and kill super mutants/return a book since the doors were all locked at Advanced and I didn't have any skill for it until I noticed an intercom. I had the option to say I was an employee, and the voice asked for my ID number which triggered an option for a charisma check to just guess it, and when I picked that I went, "Uhh ... 123456?" and the voice goes "Welcome, Mr. Mayor!" and opens up. It was so unexpected I woke my roommate up laughing.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

TontoCorazon posted:

Holy poo poo, for real?

For real. Honestly, I'm writing them off because there's only so much oil and gears I'm willing to invest in those scrubs. Also when I visited them, they'd driven away the hippie Mr. Handy, so at this point they can fend for themselves. The Commonwealth is a harsh mistress, and I've got a kidnapped son to be unconcerned about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

For real. Honestly, I'm writing them off because there's only so much oil and gears I'm willing to invest in those scrubs. Also when I visited them, they'd driven away the hippie Mr. Handy, so at this point they can fend for themselves. The Commonwealth is a harsh mistress, and I've got a kidnapped son to be unconcerned about.

You could always go full 40k and just exterminate the whole colony and then repopulate it :v: