Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It did, but the hyperinflation crisis was over by 1924 and wasn't a huge contributory factor to WWII (other than by convincing a certain fellow that the time was right to overthrow Weimar democracy which, uhh, didn't go over all that well in practice). The real economic factor leading to the rise of Nazism and WWII was the Great Depression, not hyperinflation.

Oh, gotcha. For some reason I have hyperinflation and the GD conflated.

Side note: didn't the buying and selling of German debt (a la the spread of toxic subprime loans from America to foreign banks by 2008) help to spread and worsen the global economic depression when it was triggered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

baw posted:

The Obvious™ has been replaced by Common Sense™, which i think means making a snap judgement of a complex situation based on your preconceived biases and then never questioning it

Colbert was absolutely brilliant with his "Truthiness" comment. To me it is the single thing that best encapsulates his entire Colbert Report in one perfect, horrifyingly accurate phrase.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It did, but the hyperinflation crisis was over by 1924 and wasn't a huge contributory factor to WWII (other than by convincing a certain fellow that the time was right to overthrow Weimar democracy which, uhh, didn't go over all that well in practice). The real economic factor leading to the rise of Nazism and WWII was the Great Depression, not hyperinflation.

In my mind the greatest existential threat to a free republic right now is wealth despairty allowing populist of the flavor on Trumps rhetoric to create a new fascist régime that's not wrought not from being outright economically crushed, but economic mobility being slowly smothered over 50 years.

Its just different enough from modern history to let the average citizen allow it to slowly creep into the culture because the red flags of the rise of the WWII axis aren't exactly paralleled. Which is why people like Trump and Cruz are no longer funny and entertaining side shows, they're crossing the line into turning the culture wars which are just fine in a general sense into actual wars using government power and influence against innocents.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

baw posted:

The Obvious™ has been replaced by Common Sense™, which i think means making a snap judgement of a complex situation based on your preconceived biases and then never questioning it
"For every complex problem there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong."

Common Sense™ is that solution.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Side note: didn't the buying and selling of German debt (a la the spread of toxic subprime loans from America to foreign banks by 2008) help to spread and worsen the global economic depression when it was triggered?

Maybe? I'm not an economic historian so that's going a little further afield than I'm able to answer off the cuff. I do know that the Weimar economy was very closely tied to the health of Wall St. due to Germany's reliance on US loans, so it wouldn't surprise me much if that was the case.

RuanGacho posted:

In my mind the greatest existential threat to a free republic right now is wealth despairty allowing populist of the flavor on Trumps rhetoric to create a new fascist régime that's not wrought not from being outright economically crushed, but economic mobility being slowly smothered over 50 years.

Its just different enough from modern history to let the average citizen allow it to slowly creep into the culture because the red flags of the rise of the WWII axis aren't exactly paralleled. Which is why people like Trump and Cruz are no longer funny and entertaining side shows, they're crossing the line into turning the culture wars which are just fine in a general sense into actual wars using government power and influence against innocents.

I agree the rhetoric and symbolic actions are worrisome, but I try not to be too alarmist if I can avoid it. Frankly, for all the foaming-at-the-mouth rage Trump et all are able to generate from the curbstomp set that makes up their base, I just don't see enough of the other needed factors to seriously threaten the actual republic (scant comfort that that must be for the various minority groups on the short end of the hate speech/attacks, admittedly).

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 21, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Huh, really? I thought the steep payments on reparations and loans were what forced Weimar Germany into hyperinflation due to printing so much currency for those and other things like wages and interwar veteran pensions.

If not that, then what caused hyperinflation?

A lot of the cause of the hyperinflation was the Wiemar government was already weak and lacked legitimacy and made the decision they could not politically afford to raise taxes to pay for the reparations. The taxes wouldn't have been that much, but again it was the symbolism more than the reality - an illegitimate government that took power by stabbing OUR BOYS in the back who had been undefeated in the field raising taxes to pay for their treason? Doesn't really matter how minor the tax is in that situation.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

baw posted:

There were plenty of refugees during the American Civil War. They didn't flee to another continent though for hopefully obvious reasons.

Does South America count as a different continent?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That depends. Are you pro-some tangible alternative?

I'm not trying to be snarky, or suggest that there aren't tangible alternatives or anything like that.

It's just that the vast number of people in my orbit who've been riding the "just...no wars, man" train lately have nothing on offer beyond simply pretending that the Middle East doesn't exist and neither do our current politics.

Secure the borders against people who would mean to do us harm, vet the refugees that we're going to take, Congressional vote on any military action taking place overseas.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I'm literally going back to bed for an hour so that this image doesn't mark the start of my day. Thnx facebook

I don't get it -- do the people propagating these memes wish groups like IS or Assad had more foot soldiers to conscript?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Secure the borders against people who would mean to do us harm, vet the refugees that we're going to take, Congressional vote on any military action taking place overseas.

We do, we are, and I'm shakier on the last point but iirc what we're doing in Syria now is covered under the most recent AUMF and was approved by both chambers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MothraAttack posted:

I don't get it -- do the people propagating these memes wish groups like IS or Assad had more foot soldiers to conscript?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Maarek posted:

It's nice because that image requires you to be an idiot who doesn't know anything about history, about what's happening in Syria, and to be a massive rear end in a top hat all at the same time.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
They honestly and emphatically do not care about you or your life if you are Muslim. If you see everything through that lens, then everything starts to make sense.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You aren't alone in this, it's a key failure of western history teaching really, that they push the fear of the wheel-barrows-of-money image, forgetting that history showed that was both temporary and recoverable. And then totally ignore the deflationary environment of the great depression, and how that, together with anti-democratic conspiring from the Weimar president and his staff, and leftist infighting combined to deliver the nazis to power.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Solkanar512 posted:

Hell, we used Krugman's textbook in my International Econ course in college.

We used his Macro and Micro textbooks in the respective 101s. They were essentially the same book with some cut&pasting, but I still had to pay full price for each. :argh:

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Yeah and that's good
that's good too

Ravenfood posted:

and I'm shakier on the last point but iirc what we're doing in Syria now is covered under the most recent AUMF and was approved by both chambers.
Unless I have my facts wrong (which is eminently possible) that AUMF is from 2001 and it seems ludicrous to me that something written then for the Iraq war would give us appropriate grounds to send troops into Syria.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Unless I have my facts wrong (which is eminently possible) that AUMF is from 2001 and it seems ludicrous to me that something written then for the Iraq war would give us appropriate grounds to send troops into Syria.

Congress said it was when they rejected his more recent request for a new AUMF, largely as they were pissed that he 1) exists, and 2) wanted only limited authorization to deal with the situation on the ground, rather than broader powers to launch the Nth Crusade.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Congress said it was when they rejected his more recent request for a new AUMF, largely as they were pissed that he 1) exists, and 2) wanted only limited authorization to deal with the situation on the ground, rather than broader powers to launch the Nth Crusade.

How can an AUMF from 2001 be sufficiently limited if it turns out to also cover a ground war in a completely unrelated country?

my initial point was that neither party seems even remotely concerned that we either have an AUMF so ridiculously broad as to be meaningless, or that is sufficiently narrow and an obvious overreach is being ignored

e: and that there is no political representation for a person who believes that maybe, just maybe we shouldn't contribute to the destabilization of yet another Middle Eastern power

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

How can an AUMF from 2001 be sufficiently limited if it turns out to also cover a ground war in a completely unrelated country?

I assume Obama was trying to bait Congress into setting a precedent that the 2001 AUMF was actually limited in scope. Presumably, if Congress had to authorize a separate war on Daesh, then the scope of the AUMF from 2001 has mostly been superseded. The Republicans sort of agree for several reasons:

1. Congress desperately wants to reassert the power to declare war (c.f. War Powers Act)
  2. Republicans desperately want to restrain Obama's executive actions in general
  3. So long as the AUMF from 2001 is the precedent, everyone can keep pointing fingers at the Republicans for Middle East interventionism, since it was Bush, not Obama, who got the relevant AUMF passed.

The thing is, Republicans don't want to set that precedent unless they get an even more expansive AUMF in exchange, so that their 2016 presidential candidate wouldn't have to go BACK to Congress in order to put the boots on the ground that they so desperately want (because that would have bad political optics). They'd rather that candidate point to Obama and blame him for the mess and see? He even passed an AUMF to handle this mess so it's his fault we're still stuck there!

Basically, Republicans want to look like the "responsible" ones restraining executive action with the military while they don't hold the Presidency, but also wanted to be able to pin the blame on Obama when they inevitably reverse course and let the executive trample all over the legislative branch's right to declare war once they win it back.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 21, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I meant that Congress, with the House ruled by Republicans who lust for the Forever War, preferred to keep the 2001 AUMF despite it manifestly not being suited for this new purpose rather than accede to Obama a narrower one that explicitly authorizes use of force for Syria, or indeed any legislative success whatsoever.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Yeah and that's good

that's good too

Aren't a lot of these guys the Iraqi sunni we left out of the power scheme?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I meant that Congress, with the House ruled by Republicans who lust for the Forever War, preferred to keep the 2001 AUMF despite it manifestly not being suited for this new purpose rather than accede to Obama a narrower one that explicitly authorizes use of force for Syria, or indeed any legislative success whatsoever.

They will be sure to pass a really limited AUMF as soon as they're convinced that the next President is still going to be a Democrat.

So, you know, two-three weeks after the 2016 elections. :v:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They will be sure to pass a really limited AUMF as soon as they're convinced that the next President is still going to be a Democrat.

So, you know, two-three weeks after the 2016 elections. :v:

I don't know that their hatred for Hillary can overcome their bloodlust, honestly. Clearly, they'll pass a broader AUMF while simultaneously starting impeachment proceedings.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I meant that Congress, with the House ruled by Republicans who lust for the Forever War, preferred to keep the 2001 AUMF despite it manifestly not being suited for this new purpose

But if this truly is the case, then I think we shouldn't be taking military action until we get a new AUMF passed and if the Republicans want to hold it up so be it. Let them be the ones politically on the line for "damaging national security."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fangz posted:

You aren't alone in this, it's a key failure of western history teaching really, that they push the fear of the wheel-barrows-of-money image, forgetting that history showed that was both temporary and recoverable. And then totally ignore the deflationary environment of the great depression, and how that, together with anti-democratic conspiring from the Weimar president and his staff, and leftist infighting combined to deliver the nazis to power.

Yeah, I don't know why that stuck with me even with a college macroecon (a part of which focused on the Great Depression using the prof's own textbook on it) and a Euro WWI through WWII history class. Then again, it may not have helped that my history prof was a literal Stalin apologist and tried to downplay the Holodomor in the Ukraine by claiming the statistics on the starvation and grain deprivation then was exaggerated by historians.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

But if this truly is the case, then I think we shouldn't be taking military action until we get a new AUMF passed and if the Republicans want to hold it up so be it. Let them be the ones politically on the line for "damaging national security."

It doesn't work that way. The president and his party will always get the blame when it comes to foreign policy and military involvement overseas. They've already consistently hammered the message that Daesh is Obama's fault, and largely succeeded in convincing people of this. (This is another reason they want to hold Obama up: every day Obama doesn't have the authorization is another day they can pretend he's not doing anything, even if he's been assisting the Kurds for the past year. After all, if he really wanted to do something, wouldn't he have gotten authorization?)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Aren't a lot of these guys the Iraqi sunni we left out of the power scheme?
Yes, the current leader Al Baghdadi is one of those. It's a mutated form of that armed resistance against the US along with others from all over the planet who are drawn to ISIS' propaganda.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Moktaro posted:

We used his Macro and Micro textbooks in the respective 101s. They were essentially the same book with some cut&pasting, but I still had to pay full price for each. :argh:

And that's the real economics lesson. :v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Obama basically tried that for a while, then ISIL started attacking the Yazidis in Sinjar while saying their end goal was to exterminate the Yazidis. Not intervening would have (and almost did) mean letting the Yazidis be genocided, so we intervened. Then about a month later ISIL started their march on the Syrian town of Kobani, and we intervened again to try to stop ISIL from taking the town, murdering a bunch more people, and taking control of most of northern Syria and possibly beyond. (Also in that timeframe there was an intervention to stop an ISIL march towards the Iraqi Kurdish capitol of Erbil.)

Kobani was finally reclaimed in January, and around that same time Obama asked for the new AUMF. He didn't get it, but by that point we'd already intervened a bunch of times anyway, so it was basically :shrug: "well I guess we're doing this then, didn't plan it like this but someone's gotta stop ISIL".

TL;DR: Obama cared/cares more about beating ISIL and saving lives than playing politics with the Republicans.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

fade5 posted:

Obama basically tried that for a while, then ISIL started attacking the Yazidis in Sinjar while saying their end goal was to exterminate the Yazidis. Not intervening would have (and almost did) mean letting the Yazidis be genocided, so we intervened. Then about a month later ISIL started their march on the Syrian town of Kobani, and we intervened again to try to stop ISIL from taking the town, murdering a bunch more people, and taking control of most of northern Syria and possibly beyond. (Also in that timeframe there was an intervention to stop an ISIL march towards the Iraqi Kurdish capitol of Erbil.)

Kobani was finally reclaimed in January, and around that same time Obama asked for the new AUMF. He didn't get it, but by that point we'd already intervened a bunch of times anyway, so it was basically :shrug: "well I guess we're doing this then, didn't plan it like this but someone's gotta stop ISIL".

TL;DR: Obama cared/cares more about beating ISIL and saving lives than playing politics with the Republicans.

Is it completely heartless to wonder why the US military has to be the one that intervenes to save the Yazidis?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Is it completely heartless to wonder why the US military has to be the one that intervenes to save the Yazidis?

Yeah pretty much.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

We are the world's military by an exponential factor compared to virtually every other country. It's more or less an obligation at this point to play the role of Team America: World Police when something needs blown up or invaded. We're really good at that! :v:

In other words:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Yes. The US like it or not is the world police and it mostly works out well with conflicts like the Balkins, Lybia, and fighting ISIS. When things like Iraq happen it's even worse than the countless times where US cops murder minorities with impunity though.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

We aren't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_intervention_against_ISIL

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

it mostly works out well

Just to be clear, this is incredibly controversial, even for the conflicts some people consider a slam dunk like the Balkans.

I actually can't even take a side one way or another because the debate surrounding each of those conflicts and what should have been done is so complex.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Just to be clear, this is incredibly controversial, even for the conflicts some people consider a slam dunk like the Balkans.

I actually can't even take a side one way or another because the debate surrounding each of those conflicts and what should have been done is so complex.

This is entirely fair and I probably should have said "it mostly works out better than if the US had done gently caress all" instead. Yeah we could have done things differently or better, but it's not really controversial to say that doing nothing would have been worse than what we ended up doing anyway.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 21, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is entirely fair and I probably should have said "it mostly works out better than if the US had done gently caress all" instead. Yeah we could have done things differently or better, but it's not really controversial to say that doing nothing would have been worse than what we ended up doing anyway.

I think you'll find that that's actually still pretty controversial.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Quick question - how's 'Koch' pronounced? Is it 'cock', 'coke', 'cotch', or what?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Coke.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Trump rally in Alabama featured a sideshow of "beat black protestor half to death" today but I'm not linking loving Fox News or the video

Go gently caress yourselves Republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Trump rally in Alabama featured a sideshow of "beat black protestor half to death" today but I'm not linking loving Fox News or the video

Go gently caress yourselves Republicans

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/668168739100172289/video/1

here is the video not from fox.

• Locked thread