Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Beeme posted:

Noooo. I was really curious as to what exactly he had in mind, and how exactly he would go about it, but I have a very low tolerance for awkwardness. I just can't take it. I could never watch The Office. I just teleported to my own stronghold because at this point he was following me around.

You should watch "Peep Show". It's the greatest comedy about horrible awkwardness I've ever seen. It hurts to watch sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Makeb is kind of boring, but these isotope-5 droids are so cute. They're like droid llamas. I wish I could have one as a mount.

prefect posted:

You should watch "Peep Show". It's the greatest comedy about horrible awkwardness I've ever seen. It hurts to watch sometimes.

I do quite like David Mitchell. I may give it a try, but what usually happens with this sort of comedy is that I cringe so badly that I can't help but skip ahead, or pause, or mute. It reaches a point where I'm barely watching it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Beeme posted:

Makeb is kind of boring, but these isotope-5 droids are so cute. They're like droid llamas. I wish I could have one as a mount.

I do quite like David Mitchell. I may give it a try, but what usually happens with this sort of comedy is that I cringe so badly that I can't help but skip ahead, or pause, or mute. It reaches a point where I'm barely watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxO_wp0AQqY

Here's the clip that made me fall in love with the show. I feel that it is indicative of whether or not you'll like it too.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxO_wp0AQqY

Here's the clip that made me fall in love with the show. I feel that it is indicative of whether or not you'll like it too.

Ok, this is great. I really liked the PoV camera. I'll definitely watch it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why is it that every time there's a patch I have to wait half an hour for reorganizing files?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why is it that every time there's a patch I have to wait half an hour for reorganizing files?

You're referring to the processes which bring balance to the files?

Jedi posted:

If you're playing a Jedi Knight, I had the same thing happen to me, as did several other people who were on Rishii at the same time. According to one of them, there's several threads about it on the forums. I opened a ticket yesterday about it - I expect a response sometime next week.

Ooo, nasty then if that's something that they can't easily unflag or reset. Still, 'glad' to know it's not just me. I sent a ticket around the same time.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
So are dead bodies not despawning on all planets, or just on hoth? The whole planet is a laggy mess and there are piles of dead things all over the place.

E: And companion healing seems really buggy in these areas. Kaliyo was making healing animations but nothing was happening. Though I could deal damage and heal myself just fine apart from the ability lag. I'm also not taking gear damage for dying.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 21, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So they didn't add another way to get the Akk dog companion now that the Underworld Alliance crate is gone from the market right? Because I'll never be able to afford the prices on the GTN for one. :ohdear:

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Tirranek posted:

You're referring to the processes which bring balance to the files?

The files like to split into two parts for awhile before re-merging and becoming whole again.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got started on the Agent storyline because I have a case of class indecisiveness and everyone here says it is the best overall class story. One thing I thought was neat was that your Handler tells you to lose your accent, and when interacting with the gang, they actually DO drop their accent (The female agent, anyway).

It is a dumb little detail but I thought it was neat.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, that happens a few more times during the story when it'd be appropriate too. They put a lot of thought into the voice direction.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The best part is that if you play a male Agent he actually does different voices based on which cover identity you're assuming. Sadly, the female Agent only does the one non-accented voice, but then again if you're not playing a Male Agent you're missing out on all the James Bond fantasy, PLUS telling Darth Zhorrid she's ugly and you wouldn't even gently caress her with someone else's dick when she tries to toy with you by being flirty. :hurr:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fuzz posted:

The best part is that if you play a male Agent he actually does different voices based on which cover identity you're assuming. Sadly, the female Agent only does the one non-accented voice, but then again if you're not playing a Male Agent you're missing out on all the James Bond fantasy, PLUS telling Darth Zhorrid she's ugly and you wouldn't even gently caress her with someone else's dick when she tries to toy with you by being flirty. :hurr:

Well, that sounds real cool, and I am only level 5, so I may as well switch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Insert name here posted:

So they didn't add another way to get the Akk dog companion now that the Underworld Alliance crate is gone from the market right? Because I'll never be able to afford the prices on the GTN for one. :ohdear:

Welcome to anything you ever want from a cartel pack.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Jedi posted:

If you're playing a Jedi Knight, I had the same thing happen to me, as did several other people who were on Rishii at the same time. According to one of them, there's several threads about it on the forums. I opened a ticket yesterday about it - I expect a response sometime next week.

This happened to me as well, Sith Warrior.

I ended up just saying gently caress it and starting KOTFE

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Hipster Occultist posted:

This happened to me as well, Sith Warrior.

I ended up just saying gently caress it and starting KOTFE

I'm tempted to do that but damnit, I've been doing everything to catch up with the story with that character. I ran eight flashpoints in a day so I could see everything, EIGHT :argh:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I've been having a tech issue, and the official EA forums or whatever those are haven't been much help.

I'm running the nvidia 358.91 drivers in my 970, and I'll periodically see my kernel drivers crash and recover. (Screen goes black for a few seconds, then the game pops right back up at a loading screen and loads in). Its usually over quick, but its still annoying as hell.

What's really weird is that this game in particular is the only game that causes that issue. Fallout 4, Overwatch, Vermintide, those were all perfectly fine.

Anyone encounter a similar issue and fix it?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I've been having a tech issue, and the official EA forums or whatever those are haven't been much help.

I'm running the nvidia 358.91 drivers in my 970, and I'll periodically see my kernel drivers crash and recover. (Screen goes black for a few seconds, then the game pops right back up at a loading screen and loads in). Its usually over quick, but its still annoying as hell.

What's really weird is that this game in particular is the only game that causes that issue. Fallout 4, Overwatch, Vermintide, those were all perfectly fine.

There is a new driver out, I think it released yesterday. 359.00
Maybe try that?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tirranek posted:

I'm tempted to do that but damnit, I've been doing everything to catch up with the story with that character. I ran eight flashpoints in a day so I could see everything, EIGHT :argh:

The best solution may just be to gently caress about on an alt til it gets addressed.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Only time i remember everybody dropping the accent is one throwaway line fooling the republic traffic control just before you get inside the foundry.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
There's an easy way to reconcile it all - the Force doesn't have sides at all, it merely is. What people do with it, that's all that matters, and none of these people within their little sects, just like those in real life, can agree except on the broadest terms.

1,000 Sith declare freedom, and have 1,000 ideas about what that freedom means.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

The best solution may just be to gently caress about on an alt til it gets addressed.

Yep, doing that now :( Actually it's quite fun :)

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

That's basically what I did. I've got a whole bunch of characters hanging out at 55, so I've been dragging them all through Rishii when I get bored of farming crates on my main.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shockeh posted:

There's an easy way to reconcile it all - the Force doesn't have sides at all, it merely is. What people do with it, that's all that matters, and none of these people within their little sects, just like those in real life, can agree except on the broadest terms.

1,000 Sith declare freedom, and have 1,000 ideas about what that freedom means.

The main reason I'd object to that is it's thematically lazy and doesn't have anything interesting to say. It's effective as a means of accomodating almost everyone's ~headcanon~ but it doesn't make a good story.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 21, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh my loving God, I thought I would do the Qyzen quest since the time to get Lokin has passed and I thought it wouldn't be glomped up, so I killed a bunch and thought, "Oh, this is nice, no one's camping this poo poo anymore -- wait, why am I not getting any bear asses?" The Qyzen quest reset and I had to talk to him again to make the bear asses appear. gently caress this quest, gently caress this poo poo, gently caress Bioware

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh my loving God, I thought I would do the Qyzen quest since the time to get Lokin has passed and I thought it wouldn't be glomped up, so I killed a bunch and thought, "Oh, this is nice, no one's camping this poo poo anymore -- wait, why am I not getting any bear asses?" The Qyzen quest reset and I had to talk to him again to make the bear asses appear. gently caress this quest, gently caress this poo poo, gently caress Bioware

Just get in a world boss group, I see people forming them constantly.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The main reason I'd object to that is it's thematically lazy and doesn't have anything interesting to say. It's effective as a means of accomodating almost everyone's ~headcanon~ but it doesn't make a good story.

It's basically the view Vergere feeds Jacen Solo when he's captured - But I always felt like it was the intent of that author to run with it, and in keeping with traditional EU writing, someone else came along and said 'Nope, Dark is bad, Light is Good' and made her effectively a deep cover Sith Lord instead. I agree with it because I like the idea it's a natural Force, why would it have any concept of 'Good' or 'Evil'?

E: And I personally love the idea that BOTH the Jedi and the Sith are loving wrong, because it validates my view they're both groups of total loving morons, but YMMV. :v:

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 21, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shockeh posted:

I agree with it because I like the idea it's a natural Force, why would it have any concept of 'Good' or 'Evil'?

I see the Force as presenting something of a feedback loop to its devotees, you get out of it what you put into it. If it's an energy field created by all living things, then to me it makes some thematic sense that if you reach out to it in anger and fear, then it's going to feel and react to that. If you approach the Force with calm and contemplation, it's going to respond in kind. Trying to act like the Force has a will of its own feels to me like conspiracy theory nonsense in real life: trying to ascribe agency and human motivation to an inhuman and uncaring universe.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ooh are we sperging about theories of the Force? I always liked Zahn's theory that the proper use of the Force is for guidance and any attempt to use it for power clouds your ability to use it properly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shockeh posted:

It's basically the view Vergere feeds Jacen Solo when he's captured - But I always felt like it was the intent of that author to run with it, and in keeping with traditional EU writing, someone else came along and said 'Nope, Dark is bad, Light is Good' and made her effectively a deep cover Sith Lord instead. I agree with it because I like the idea it's a natural Force, why would it have any concept of 'Good' or 'Evil'?

E: And I personally love the idea that BOTH the Jedi and the Sith are loving wrong, because it validates my view they're both groups of total loving morons, but YMMV. :v:

The movies are pretty clear about the Force. The Dark Side is about using it in a misguided attempt to hold on to material things forever, life and power, when the irony is that a true Jedi has an infinite supply of both of those things by letting go. True immortality only comes from accepting your death, and that you are part of something greater. As Yoda says, luminous beings we are, not this crude matter. The Force is presented as some kind of synthesis of the ideas of Brahman and Nirvana.

Of course, Force Ghosts were originally supposed to be rather a big deal and reflective of a transcendent state that few could achieve and well the EU has kind of run that into the ground with Force Ghosts/Ancient Sith Lord Ghosts for everyone.

Edit: Everything is Ancient Sith Lord Ghosts. Everything.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 21, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Only time i remember everybody dropping the accent is one throwaway line fooling the republic traffic control just before you get inside the foundry.

does everyone pretending to have a southern accent if you imitate that republic general on belsavis count

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Edit: Everything is Ancient Sith Lord Ghosts. Everything.
The Sith Inquisitor storyline is literally the meme "why can't i, hold all these force ghosts?".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

Ooh are we sperging about theories of the Force? I always liked Zahn's theory that the proper use of the Force is for guidance and any attempt to use it for power clouds your ability to use it properly.

It's like cheat codes. Once you start using them you'll never play properly again. And eventually stop having fun and just murder villagers because nothing matters any more.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Down clock you card. I have a 980 and have the same problems. I dropped it by about 25mhz and it still does it, but like every few days and not every few minutes.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Iron Tusk posted:

Down clock you card. I have a 980 and have the same problems. I dropped it by about 25mhz and it still does it, but like every few days and not every few minutes.

Alrighty, I used MSI afterburner to low my core and memory clocks down to -25 mhz. Lets see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip.

Will this impact my performance in other games btw?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
What's a good average for healing as a merc in PvP? I'm usually between 400k and 600k. Will I ever be able to compete with Sorc/sage healing as a merc? They always seem to outdamage me while also doubling my heal total.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bait and Swatch posted:

What's a good average for healing as a merc in PvP? I'm usually between 400k and 600k. Will I ever be able to compete with Sorc/sage healing as a merc? They always seem to outdamage me while also doubling my heal total.

Those numbers are usually not very realistic. It doesn't take into account over healing, which sorcs get a ton of thanks to their AOE heal. Don't judge healing by numbers, judge it by how well you kept your team alive.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Is it worth it to upgrade the mods in orange gear as you're leveling or should I just stick to what drops? The upgrades seem kind of pricey on the auction house.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mincedgarlic posted:

Is it worth it to upgrade the mods in orange gear as you're leveling or should I just stick to what drops? The upgrades seem kind of pricey on the auction house.

There's no reason at all to spend credits on that stuff from the auction house, as far as I'm concerned. As I see it there are two main ways to keep your gear up to date while leveling:

1) Spend your basic comms on mods/etc at the "level XX modification vendor" on the fleet/planets. They're 2 apiece and as long as you pick comms as rewards from your class quests whenever possible, the game designs it so that you'll have enough to keep your gear up to date through your entire leveling experience.

2) Do heroics and use the blue gear that drops to keep yourself up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In terms of leveling, your credits are better spent buying companion gifts, most likely.

• Locked thread