Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeee

Alright southern peeps, watch TV on Monday to see which station is using cardboard and markers when their graphics fail

Good luck larches, as a non-IT observer your story has been horrifyingly fascinating. Hope the next job is much better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

The cycle begins anew. Who among us will be next to step forward?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

you ate my cat posted:

The cycle begins anew. Who among us will be next to step forward?

It'll be me again

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

larchesdanrew posted:

It'll be me again

I dunno man, DT is continuing to prove that time is a flat circle.

pretend they're all plugging in ethernet cables or something

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeee
Here's to you. :cheers:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeee

While you're free, I'm spending 4 hours prepping 16 terminals because my boss is a retard and told one of our highest profile merchants "Oh yeah, this thing that I know NOTHING about will TOTALLY work for your needs. Yeah, we'll have our tech, Neo, out there on the last hour of the day before you need it to deliver them and make sure they work." and then went "WAAAAAHHHHH?? SURELY Neo wouldn't mind getting this other stuff together on a Friday evening to be delivered 2 hours before his scheduled shift on Monday because of this little miscommunication."

I have half a bottle of honey bourbon whiskey waiting for me at home, and I can't even enjoy it because when I get home I basically have to go to bed to wake up at 8am tomorrow because I'm a loving senior citizen or something and I'm not even 30 yet.

...No, you know what? gently caress it. I'm having a double shot when I get home because gently caress my dumb rear end manager and gently caress your dumb rear end CE. I really hope you have someone on the inside so they can relay to you how the CE just stays in denial as the station crumbles around him like that comic with the dog on fire.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Double post 'cause gently caress da rules.

:boom:

Try this poo poo mixed with actual ginger brew, like from Trader Joes. It's loving addicting.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Alright. *toe tapping, thump-thump-thump*

CALLSIGN LETTERS. Or whatever they are called. Please.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WE MUST WATCH THE NEWS CRASH AND BURN!!!! :getin:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Random Missouri news station ratings triple for inexplicable reason.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

:cheers:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Boogalo posted:

Random Missouri news station ratings triple for inexplicable reason.

Mississippi :p

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

MrMojok posted:

Alright. *toe tapping, thump-thump-thump*

CALLSIGN LETTERS. Or whatever they are called. Please.

Call letters/call sign, not both :)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

WE MUST WATCH THE NEWS CRASH AND BURN!!!! :getin:

It's just occurred to me, this news organisation could be Reuters or the AP... All news outlets could be scarred.

I'm going to do the harder crossword in the newspaper on Monday, give myself a confidence boost even though it will be 4 letter words.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeee

:dance:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
I know you mentioned the station has a live stream. I bet it's one of those that instead of commercials - as that would require the station as a whole to have competency - it goes blank so sometimes live audio of the newscasters saying stupid poo poo?

Anyways, on topic:
Customer is Swiss but has the server in the US, so the Sys Admins are in Switzerland and they have a hardware team state-side. The SysAdmins complain about "slow performance", say it's a drive, and tell the US support team (hardware support only) to call in for us to fix the issue and to read the error on the front LCD.
So that hardware guy does this: the message on screen is the system ID - which happens when there are no errors. Ran diagnostics and all no errors at all.
This was a few days ago and we're still waiting for the remote SysAdmins to explain what the hell they are talking about since they gave no information.
And amazingly: the day of this the sysadmins handed it off it was right before they went home for the day so of course no one there to respond...

Man, the users are supposed to act like this, not the support group!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Lightning Jim posted:

I know you mentioned the station has a live stream. I bet it's one of those that instead of commercials - as that would require the station as a whole to have competency - it goes blank so sometimes live audio of the newscasters saying stupid poo poo?

Holy poo poo yes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Please do the needful and post the live stream

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeee

Okay so... I got an idea. If they call you in, are you going to have a contract base rate for them at about $100/hr.?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Malek posted:

Okay so... I got an idea. If they call you in, are you going to have a contract base rate for them at about $100/hr.?

i thought he charged $150/hr 2hr min. $300/hr if it involves dealing with CE in any manner whatsoever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hold out for the boat

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

divabot posted:

i thought he charged $150/hr 2hr min. $300/hr if it involves dealing with CE in any manner whatsoever.

Yeah, this is my going rate for onsite work.

For those wondering about the fallout, I've got plenty of friends still there that will give me updates, so the stories will still be flowing fast and furious, trust me.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

larchesdanrew posted:

For those wondering about the fallout, I've got plenty of friends still there that will give me updates, so the stories will still be flowing fast and furious, trust me.

I've never been so excited for a Monday to arrive.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess I have to caution you guys, there's a good chance everything goes smoothly, at least on the outside. Other people will have to struggle and work their asses off to avoid chaos, but they might be able to put on a good show.

These things take a while to go supercritical sometimes. A decent organization would make corrective action early enough to avoid the worst, but it doesn't sound like this is a decent organization. :getin:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess I have to caution you guys, there's a good chance everything goes smoothly, at least on the outside. Other people will have to struggle and work their asses off to avoid chaos, but they might be able to put on a good show.

These things take a while to go supercritical sometimes. A decent organization would make corrective action early enough to avoid the worst, but it doesn't sound like this is a decent organization. :getin:

Based on what larches has described before its going to take about five minutes for people to start getting pissed about having to deal with the CE instead of him. The station won't fall apart but I'm 100% sure there'll be stories of the CE having to interact with humans and failing miserably.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

This is the only time in my live I've ever, or will ever, want it to be Monday so fast

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

Asides private contracting out for the $150/hr. stuff, try writing a book. I would buy it. Not joking.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

larchesdanrew posted:

For all the poo poo you have been through and how they have been treating you, how can you set your price that low? $300/hr should be minimum. gently caress em, they didn't even try to make things good for you. $300 per hour, 3 hour minimum, travel time is paid time. And you get 30 minute paid lunch break if it takes 5 hours or more. Round up to nearest hour, never down.

Ask yourself, do you really want to go back there?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/249-now-thats-what-i-call-a-hacker/

I want to beleive

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Going back to toxic as gently caress places like that would be retarded I really don't know where some of you get this "I'll show them!" poo poo from

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

That's magnificent if actually true.

go3 posted:

Going back to toxic as gently caress places like that would be retarded I really don't know where some of you get this "I'll show them!" poo poo from

Boats don't buy themselves.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

go3 posted:

Actually it's not nearly as bad when you know that you're going to be out of there in a week or something. You don't have any worry about performance reviews or raises or some shithead sabotaging you in the long term. You contract for a specific number of hours with the option to extend if both parties agree, you demand payment for a set minimum in advance , you set a ludicrous rate, hell you even stipulate that you won't be in the building when certain other individuals are. If the company agrees to all of that, you make some serious bank for a very small amount of work, and you don't have to care about the possibility that some idiot is going to rip it all to shreds the second you get out the door.

I was fantasizing about my boss dying in a traffic accident on the way to the office by the time I quit, and I'd still be willing to do work for that company if they met my terms. They would just be ridiculous terms.

Edit: And to be clear, it's not about "I'll show them!" It's about "it's going to cost them more if they want me to put up with their bullshit again."

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 22, 2015

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

Edit: And to be clear, it's not about "I'll show them!" It's about "it's going to cost them more if they want me to put up with their bullshit again."

I believe the term is "hazard pay". :thumbsup:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

In one of these threads someone said in business you never say no, you just make the price for saying yes far too high.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Che Delilas posted:

nd you don't have to care about the possibility that some idiot is going to rip it all to shreds the second you get out the door.

In fact, if you're a contractor your stuff acquires a magical shield of durability protecting it from anyone ripping it out and replacing it. Because management paid good money for it. (As opposed to wages, which are apparently free.)

Varkk posted:

In one of these threads someone said in business you never say no, you just make the price for saying yes far too high.

This is totally the rule. Be prepared for them to call your bluff, of course.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

divabot posted:

This is totally the rule. Be prepared for them to call your bluff, of course.
Then you swallow your pride, do the work, then laugh all the way to the bank.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeee
:toot:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

go3 posted:

"The guest who has escaped from the roof server room, will think twice before he comes in by the door."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

kumar-rear end in a top hat.sh is resume worthy

• Locked thread