Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Judge Tesla posted:

When you get a note saying "You are now enemies with the faction", that is the point of no return

That's actually really janky - they offer Ready/Not Ready without telling me anything about what the mission is going to be about, and then even when I take the Not Ready option, he still says "oh, you can get ready after this briefing" and automatically makes me enemies with them anyway. Like, what?? The only way not to do it is just not talk to him him ever again, and you'd have to first find out and then reload a save because there's no way to know it was coming. I had assumed he'd tell me about the mission and then say "Are you ready for this mission?" and give me the option to opt out or delay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Kiggles posted:

I am using a 7850. Your'e fine. Don't bother with the PS4 version.

GTX 760 here (below min specs) and also fine. It auto detected to "very high" settings and plays pretty smooth. Occasional dips below 30fps due to some particular lighting technique in some areas as someone else mentioned. Very playable, looks great.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of collusion between the hardware makers and game publishers to keep bumping minimum and recommended specs up to drive sales...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Harrow posted:

What are the things that make happiness go down at a settlement? I built so many nice things for Sanctuary Hills, set up a full-on power grid, there's plenty of food, water, and beds (more than we need), and happiness plummeted by 10 in the past couple of hours. What gives, settlers?

I think putting in stuff like decorations helps, but honestly I'm not sure anyone really knows. The happiness at my Sanctuary has always been high and steady, but everyone still says things that sound like they're really unhappy.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Kiggles posted:

^^ nah. You just have to be "Sarcastic". You'll be kind-of-a-dick, but not punch someone in the face dick.

MacCready is all about money. You'll mostly only get ups if you're asking for more cash from quests. In other instances it's simply a matter of being insistent about your reward. For example, your dialog options could be "reward / sarcastic / glad to help / ???" and while they might have no impact on anything, selecting the option that has you focused on the reward will probably illicit some interest from MaCready. Refusing rewards or possibly picking the "glad to help" options he will tend to dislike. Curie is the opposite, and if you ask for rewards she'll tend to dislike it, while if you actually try to refuse (or simply express gratitude in helping) she will usually like it. EDIT: apparently he thinks fondly of thieves, so ignore all of that. Go steal some poo poo and be best friends in less than an hour.

If you're not getting many speech checks to push for more rewards he'll probably be a slow grind since those are probably going to be bigger bonuses than just being pushy about the reward owed.

Also note, if you're comparing MaCready to female companions and you have the lady killer perk, he being male is going to gain affinity a lot slower compared to female companions. Seemed Piper Curie and Cait basically threw themselves at me (15 charisma with gear, +3 lady killer), but the males have all been slow grinds. Seems like a more natural progression compared than how quickly the ladies were spreading their legs, but it is tedious if you don't like the character.

Okay so it is possible to get to the point of doing his companion quest and still not have enough affinity to get his perk.

That's kinda dumb.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait, companion perks are permanent and not just applicable when you have that specific follower with you?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Broken Cog posted:

I know the feeling. I found a legendary Shishkebab with +50% damage against Super Mutants, but after having tested it, a generic, upgraded Chinese Officer Sword still did more damage to them.

Here's a compromise: what about a beard mod that lets me have a luxurious flowing beard like Guan Yu so I look like a bad rear end decapitating people with a Chinese Officer's Sword?

I do know you can upgrade the Shishkebab, but I'm not at the required level for Blacksmith 3 to upgrade it yet to test the damage.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Harrow posted:

What are the things that make happiness go down at a settlement? I built so many nice things for Sanctuary Hills, set up a full-on power grid, there's plenty of food, water, and beds (more than we need), and happiness plummeted by 10 in the past couple of hours. What gives, settlers?

I've had the same problem at Sanctuary Hills, and I think at least part of the problem was that some of the dumb gently caress peasants don't know where the beds are. My one awesome generic settler that's always at her lookout actually said "People are really complaining about the bed situation" and "People are having to sleep in shifts" on some unprompted dialogue when I came by, and happiness went up a lot when I manually assigned a bunch of settlers to the beds that were still marked red in Workshop Mode.

I have since given her a full set of combat armor and a modded laser rifle because she is so hilariously more reliable than the idiot named settlers who will wander away from their posts to hammer pointlessly on the walls or disappear somewhere in the town. I wish you could do more with them. I was really disappointed when I couldn't have random townspeople wear my spare sets of Power Armor. Even your companions will automatically get out of it when you remove them from the party.

I'm sure the answer is the Local Leader perk, but how do you get more caravans than Trash Can Carla to come to Sanctuary?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The reason why the Shishkebab sucks is because it's currently bugged so that it gets absolutely no bonuses from melee perks.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's not going to take me forever to find (or have the requisite Gun Nut / Science perks) to find automatic weapons (or mods to make weapons automatic), is it? My memories of the early game in my Rifleman-centered build are kinda hazy.

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
I've never played a fallout game before guys, but I've been running around in power armor and a sword 99% of the time, bringing justice and cutting people's heads off. I have 20000 caps, 12 power armor frames, two x-1 suits, etc. The story is dumb and I don't care, but having a great time. Thanks for your time!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Lol. I was literally one item theft away from being idolized with him. Of course.

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, companion perks are permanent and not just applicable when you have that specific follower with you?

Yes.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MisterBibs posted:

It's not going to take me forever to find (or have the requisite Gun Nut / Science perks) to find automatic weapons (or mods to make weapons automatic), is it? My memories of the early game in my Rifleman-centered build are kinda hazy.

No.

e: I need to learn how to read

frajaq fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 21, 2015

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

I've been playing the PS4 version a lot since release and it's been fine. No crashes at all and only one glitch that was fixed by quitting out and reloading. PC obviously will have the advantage if something goes majorly wrong, but this time around the console version has been amazingly stable compared to the previous games I've played.

Why subject yourself to awful load times?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

neonbregna posted:

Why subject yourself to awful load times?

Because due to circumstance I can't play it on my PC right now, so I'll play it however I can.

The guy was asking if the PS4 version was as buggy as previous Playstation versions and I was just saying that no it really isn't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a little weird that Piper disliked me peacefully walking into Covenant. I should go do the Memory Den eventually so I can go get Nick back.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Are there any melee weapons with lots of upgrades? Or is it just the massive increase/bleed single one like the tire iron?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a little weird that Piper disliked me peacefully walking into Covenant. I should go do the Memory Den eventually so I can go get Nick back.

A lot of followers apparently dislikes that, I have no idea why.
At least Dogmeat wasn't so judgmental.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

poo poo. I've been rolling with Preston forever because of his damage bonus. I should diversify!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is stupid. The writing in this game is so goddamn stupid.

edit: lmao he grants you the knight rank even if you literally say "I don't like your goals" and "You're not going to convince me your plan will work" in the exact same conversation. Seriously just trash.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CJacobs posted:

They're fighting for peace, duh.
I'm pretty sure you can call him out on that statement btw.

Edit: I mean, I could totally see a real politician use that argument to defend an invasion or something. And I think he's alleviating you to Knight just because you've proven to be a useful tool, and they're lacking manpower.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 21, 2015

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any good way to make caps? They seem to be pretty scarce this time.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So I've defeated the Institute and am now wandering the Commonwealth aimlessly and came across this town called Covenant. The people there are really hospitable and I think there is something sinister to them but the mayor's terminal reveals little information other than that they are unusually strict regarding proper behavior. What is this town about?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Broken Cog posted:

They're fighting for peace, duh.
I'm pretty sure you can call him out on that statement btw.

You can, and he gets really pissy about it.

There's a lot of bad writing but going for the zealot who's deliberately presented as a blustering hypocrite is kinda weird.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

So I've defeated the Institute and am now wandering the Commonwealth aimlessly and came across this town called Covenant. The people there are really hospitable and I think there is something sinister to them but the mayor's terminal reveals little information other than that they are unusually strict regarding proper behavior. What is this town about?

The town did nothing wrong :colbert:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

There's a guy named Honest Dan or something wandering around in there. Chat him up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So my game locks up the minute I come out of the cryo pod. Is there a way to fix that?

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People

CJacobs posted:

I thought the same thing, but the BOS is a combination of warhammer40k space marines and the techno-religious order adeptus mechanicus so the terrible writing seemed fitting

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I knew someone was going to respond with "well it's the brotherhood so they're supposed to be stupid", and I want to make it clear that I am not criticizing Maxson the video game character in that post, I'm speaking in terms of the person who wrote his dialogue having a high-school level of understanding of how to write a character.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

I knew someone was going to respond with "well it's the brotherhood so they're supposed to be stupid", and I want to make it clear that I am not criticizing Maxson the video game character in that post, I'm speaking in terms of the person who wrote his dialogue having a high-school level of understanding of how to write a character.

I dunno dude, "we're waging a war so nobody else will" is the sort of self-fellating bullshit a lot of warmongers use to try and sound fancy.

It's by no means deep writing, but fits the character and doesn't seem like they were going for much more than that with him.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Are weapons accurate if you ADS?
I have a sniper pistol with an accuracy rating of like 107 or something but when I aim at people in this distance, even if I'm holding my breath and line up a perfect shot, I feel like I miss pretty often. I am pretty sure I know how a scope works and where a bullet should hit. Does accuracy rating affect the non-VATS accuracy of a gun?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BambooEarpick posted:

Are weapons accurate if you ADS?
I have a sniper pistol with an accuracy rating of like 107 or something but when I aim at people in this distance, even if I'm holding my breath and line up a perfect shot, I feel like I miss pretty often. I am pretty sure I know how a scope works and where a bullet should hit. Does accuracy rating affect the non-VATS accuracy of a gun?

What's the weapon's range? Your accuracy drops off really quick at a distance.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Covenant is a front for a research program to figure out some way to identify synths. This research includes kidnapping innocent people and subjecting them to pretty inhuman treatment. The research facility is apparently across the river from the front gate, underground.

Although I don't know how they would know since it's supposed to be secret, this may also be why all those companion characters don't like it when you go there.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Vargs posted:

There's a guy named Honest Dan or something wandering around in there. Chat him up.

I've just done this quest and it seemed very buggy, like it was always one step out of sync (telling me I'd passed the test before I took it, etc).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Okay so it is possible to get to the point of doing his companion quest and still not have enough affinity to get his perk.

That's kinda dumb.

No, you can still get it, especially since I wasn't aware you can grind his affinity by just stealing things. I'm just saying you might be taking the 'wrong' dialog options for the repeatable quests, since a lot of them still have the "reward / sarcastic / glad to help" options. The bonuses from those wouldn't be as large as passing a dialog check for more cash, but should still be there. Anyway, just steal stuff, but I mention it because it may help with other companions you're trying to grind, but with some other dialog option.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Covenant is trying to create Voight-Kampff G.O.A.T S.A.F.E test to identify synths. It's predictably accurate.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

edit: lmao he grants you the knight rank even if you literally say "I don't like your goals" and "You're not going to convince me your plan will work" in the exact same conversation. Seriously just trash.

Having trouble seeing how Maxson's obvious hypocrisy is indicative of bad writing.

CJacobs posted:

Articulate - use your words.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Deified Data posted:

Having trouble seeing how Maxson's obvious hypocrisy is indicative of bad writing.

It would be nice if for once I encountered a character in this video game who did not go "hello person I have never met, here's all of my motivations and what you should think of me in one conversational burst, ok talk to me later if you want to know more". But it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CJacobs posted:

It would be nice if for once I encountered a character in this video game who did not go "hello person I have never met, here's all of my motivations and what you should think of me in one conversational burst, ok talk to me later if you want to know more". But it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will.

Probably not because that's kind of a video game thing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kimmalah posted:

Probably not because that's kind of a video game thing?

Is that supposed to magically make it not be poo poo writing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The Minutemen ending was so loving boring. God drat.

• Locked thread