Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nahxela posted:

As far as I can tell, yeah, they need to be on your leader.

Ah that makes sense, I'll have to try it out next dungeon.

Another odd thing I noticed today that I can't seem to find info on through Google. Most of the time Pokemon on the minimap in town are represented by orange dots. In the cafe, I noticed a Sylveon that was represented by a blue dot. I'm not sure what the significance of this is, unless maybe it represents a Pokemon you can recruit, which I wouldn't know since I can't recruit Pokemon yet (though I'm thinking that will happen soon, I just got to the part with Ampharos).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Dr Pepper posted:

Does Super Mystery Dungeon have all the Pokemon this time.

Yes, It was considered a selling point lol

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

qnqnx posted:

The older revruitment system was better

I partly agree, this one is kinda weird. I like recruiting Pokemon in dungeons better than through missions. The connection orb is kind of cool but I still prefer the job boards from previous games. That being said, I just did a mission that I'm pretty sure gave me Emolga and Dunsparce from Gates to Infinity which kind of blows my mind.

Can I nickname pokemon on my team that I get through the connection orb? If not, I'm mad as hell.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Nahxela posted:

As far as I can tell, yeah, they need to be on your leader.

This is correct, but you are able to swap who the leader is while in dungeons pretty early. You can set the Clairvoyant Emera on the second pokemon in your team and just swap to it quickly to see items until you swap back to another pokemon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I mean I may be wrong here but if there is one of each Pokemon on the connection orb, and you get missions through Pokemon on it, doesn't that mean that there is a finite number of missions? The more I think about it the less I like it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
When were you supposed to take on Axew's request? Because that boss fight was sure something, and now I have a level 50 Salamence on my team. :stare:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

When were you supposed to take on Axew's request? Because that boss fight was sure something, and now I have a level 50 Salamence on my team. :stare:

If a pokemon is above the level of your main dudes there's a cooldown period after each mission you bring them on where you can't use them on future missions.

Salamence can wreck poo poo, but if you use him you can't use him again for a few missions.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This is awesome. I just found a wandering Duskull in a dungeon, who muttered something about money, then joined my team. THEN it also introduced me to Persian, who ALSO joined me. I love all the callbacks to old PMD games. :3:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So can you nickname team members or what

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

mabels big day posted:

So can you nickname team members or what

This needs an answer

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I mean I may be wrong here but if there is one of each Pokemon on the connection orb, and you get missions through Pokemon on it, doesn't that mean that there is a finite number of missions? The more I think about it the less I like it.

This connection orb poo poo is more fail the more I think about it and I might skip this game

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Silver Falcon posted:

This is awesome. I just found a wandering Duskull in a dungeon, who muttered something about money, then joined my team. THEN it also introduced me to Persian, who ALSO joined me. I love all the callbacks to old PMD games. :3:

I am running into the Corphish from PMD :3:

Also got a Victini from the cafe. I wish I didn't start with Fennekin so I could use that little guy more but eh

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

qnqnx posted:

This connection orb poo poo is more fail the more I think about it and I might skip this game

Its a shame because everything else is fantastic. I'm still enjoying the game and I can't say for sure quite yet, but it's possible they hosed up something I never thought they would

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So are all the PMD games in the same setting, or what? Because I keep hearing that old characters are returning.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

So what I'm taking away from this is I should never evolve any of my team members, so I don't get duplicates that would otherwise mar a perfect collection of friends.

Right?

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

In a dungeon, when I went to the stairs, the game stopped me and told me "There's still a quest" when I didn't have a quest for that floor. I then found a Drowzee that joined me. Edit: Oh, I didn't even notice that the game tells you "There's a wandering pokemon here!" when you enter the floor.

Benach fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 21, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Geostomp posted:

So are all the PMD games in the same setting, or what? Because I keep hearing that old characters are returning.

Apparently, cause this game confirmed it.

I do like the Connection Orb stuff, but I really hope they didn't just decide to make everything finite.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Moltrey posted:

I am very saddened to see such scorn for Charizard in this thread. There are other great starters, but Charizard is a tried and true hero.

Hes just popular for goons to hate on. Charizard is cool pokemon yo

What was wrong with gates to infinity by the way? I want to try it just for the story at some point

Stalgren fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 21, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Jeez, this game is fuckin' brutal. Enemies are doing like 25% of my HP in a single attack and I'm just worried about what will happen when enemy spawns start getting high enough that I have to fight more than one at a time. Am I supposed to be burning through my resources like this?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Stalgren posted:

Hes just popular for goons to hate on. Charizard is cool pokemon yo

What was wrong with gates to infinity by the way? I want to try it just for the story at some point

the main problem people had with gates to infinity is that there was maybe half of the Pokemon available in it, and it had a weak postgame, but if you like pmd for the story its a fine game.

The White Dragon posted:

Jeez, this game is fuckin' brutal. Enemies are doing like 25% of my HP in a single attack and I'm just worried about what will happen when enemy spawns start getting high enough that I have to fight more than one at a time. Am I supposed to be burning through my resources like this?

yeah I feel like you are, which is fine by me. I'm making a habit of always carrying a good number of oran berries and buying oran berries every day at the Kecleon mart. items are pretty cheap at the store too.

I can't find anything on nicknaming your teammates. This is a nightmare. What the gently caress.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Nicknames are given to pokemon by trainers. In the world of PMD, there are no trainers, hence, there are no nicknames. In the State of Nature, per Poke-John Locke, Pokemon refer to each other by their species names.

edit: A pokemon who would presume to nickname his poke-friends is not a poke-friend himself, but a poke-tyrant!!!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
what the gently caress, you mean i can't name my friendly third-string grimer "oof!" anymore, i loved that guy, i wanted the continuing saga of oof!.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, it's an actually difficult PMD game for once.

Helioisks are the devil. :argh: They really ramped up the difficulty. Stuff like that is what I would expect from the postgame of a PMD game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I feel like the Connection Orb is a necessary "evil". Trying to recruit all 720 Pokemon onto your team using the old method would probably have been hell on earth. And though quests might seem finite, they'll probably keep on coming and coming because getting all of them isn't exactly going to take a few days. Personally, I like how it works, it makes things seem nicer for the completionist in me, knowing that with every quest I complete I'm getting slowly stronger and better and obtaining more friends. And I also like figuring out good combos with the teammates I have. So, yeah, no complaints here.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I mean its not recruiting 720, if you just want one of each evolution line, but it's still a lot. It would be cool to have, i dunno, some pokemon recruited the old way, and then some more exclusive quest specific pokemon with the connection orb.

The worst part is definitely the no nickname part.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Why does Verne eat food every time he commentates

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I honestly can't remember if there was ever a nickname function in the PMD games.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Beekeeping and You posted:

I honestly can't remember if there was ever a nickname function in the PMD games.

There were in the first one.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gates to Infinity basically had the perfect recruiting system and they effed it up.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Yo is the new Mystery Dungeon good? I got time over thanksgiving to tear the gently caress up out of some pocket monsters.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Filthy Haiku posted:

Yes, It was considered a selling point lol

Volcanion says hi. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The White Dragon posted:

Use ranged attacks! There are a lot more 2+ tile ranged attacks this time around. Ember hits at 2 range now, for example. Also use those status inflicting Wands. The game throws tons at you and they're super handy. No reason not to wave them around like crazy if you're having trouble. Make sure to stock plenty of Oran Berries and some Tiny Reviver Seeds for emergencies. Elixirs are also a must because your regular A attack does poo poo for damage now and you'll burn through your moves a lot.

mabels big day posted:

Gates to Infinity basically had the perfect recruiting system and they effed it up.

How did recruiting work in Gates again? It's been a long time since I've touched that game.

Rexicon1 posted:

Yo is the new Mystery Dungeon good? I got time over thanksgiving to tear the gently caress up out of some pocket monsters.

Yes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when Vine Whip was two tiles. I think they changed Pursuit, though, and what used to be basically Dark-type Quick Attack is just range 1 now.

Silver Falcon posted:

How did recruiting work in Gates again? It's been a long time since I've touched that game.

iirc you could get or buy consumables called Gifts that were tied to a type, which you could use to guarantee recruitment of said type. Of course, the way you kept your recruits in Gates to Infinity sucked anyway.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh boy, Unown Z is very motivated.

I'm gonna bring Unown Z into a dungeon.

I'm gonna use Unown Z.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh poo poo, bringing a motivated Unown doubles everyone's exp. Unown is actually useful.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Guys help I told my partner they could be annoying and now I feel bad. :(

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It really needed to be said, to be honest. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll get over it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Strange Quark posted:

Unown is actually useful.

This is dumb and not related, but one of my favorite Pokemon myth things the is Unown being apart of like some dark creation myth with connections to Arceus and also being really powerful in large groups, I wish that was reflected in-game more cause it's way cooler than being 28 Symbols To Collect That Know Hidden Power

Also I've been reading Pokemon Adventures out of recommendation from people in the thread, and yeah it's good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cicadas! posted:

It really needed to be said, to be honest. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll get over it.

It's gonna be some Ogre Battle-level poo poo. They'll betray you eventually, when you forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gently caress off with these tirtougas jesus christ

gently caress off with these durants jesus christ

gently caress OFF WITH THESE LUXIOS JESUS CHRIST

• Locked thread