Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Is Jessica Jones going to be available at Midnight or sometime later tomorrow?

The official twitter posted what looks to be the opening with "something to get you through the next 12 hours" like 20 minutes ago. So maybe not midnight, but close-ish? (or I guess maybe midnight pacific time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Guy A. Person posted:

The official twitter posted what looks to be the opening with "something to get you through the next 12 hours" like 20 minutes ago. So maybe not midnight, but close-ish? (or I guess maybe midnight pacific time)

That's what I figured. Midnight PST tends to be the release date for most things these days.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

twistedmentat posted:

Is Jessica Jones going to be available at Midnight or sometime later tomorrow?

Netflix is located in California, so new content appears at midnight PST.

edit: Just like you assumed!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

That's what I figured. Midnight PST tends to be the release date for most things these days.

Yeah, that's what I'd expect to happen tonight. I'm just going to watch it tomorrow on the day off from work I took for the sole purpose of watching 13 hours of a comic book television show like only the most responsible of adults would do.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

That's because the budget has been slashed as usual with series running for several seasons (mostly because you don't need to pay for new sets again... oh, wait).

I just figured it's because Flash and Supergirl are draining all the effects budget that Berlanti Productions has.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah, that's what I'd expect to happen tonight. I'm just going to watch it tomorrow on the day off from work I took for the sole purpose of watching 13 hours of a comic book television show like only the most responsible of adults would do.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

For reals tho I had 7 vacation days left as of a week ago and with seven weeks left in the year I figured I would just take a bunch of long weekends. But it does work out so I will watch likely 5-6 eps tomorrow probably.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If you can't wait for tomorrow, you can watch the opening credits right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1xm9wlF0wE

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

I just figured it's because Flash and Supergirl are draining all the effects budget that Berlanti Productions has.

Flash had its budget slashed as well, because all series do after their first season. Supergirl is on a big boy network though and they have many more resources and even in season eight will have a bigger budget than Arrow or Flash ever will.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus the network provides the budget, not the production studio.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It should be pointed out that Daredevil had a lot more production time than season 4 of Arrow, and they only had to make half the number of episodes. Also the way Netflix makes money is completely different than the way The CW makes money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In fact Netflix is a major source of funding for the CW and factoring in that streaming rights money is a huge part of their renewal calculus.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

In fact Netflix is a major source of funding for the CW and factoring in that streaming rights money is a huge part of their renewal calculus.

Not for long. Wasn't there just a news story about Warner Brothers wanting to hold off on the streaming rights to DC properties in the future? (This would only apply to Flash, Arrow, iZombie and Legends of Tomorrow, I'm sure they'll still have the other shows).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Not for long. Wasn't there just a news story about Warner Brothers wanting to hold off on the streaming rights to DC properties in the future? (This would only apply to Flash, Arrow, iZombie and Legends of Tomorrow, I'm sure they'll still have the other shows).

Yeah, my opinion though is that was just kind of a test balloon to gauge people's reactions. Critics panned that and thier commercial reduction plan so hard, I'd be surprised if they go forward with it. I mean it would gut the CW funding and programming models, I don't understand how the network would go forward under an solely ad and affiliate supported model.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, I do want to say that even though it was biting hard off Daredevil, and wasn't as well done, the bit where Thea is fighting Diggle's brother, takes him into an elevator and fights him while they travel to a different floor, all in one shot, was pretty baller.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

The current streaming deals for Arrow and Flash run through 2017 so we currently have nothing to worry about on those two. LoT will probably never show up on Netflix unless Berlanti has some sort of studio pull.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Oh, I do want to say that even though it was biting hard off Daredevil, and wasn't as well done, the bit where Thea is fighting Diggle's brother, takes him into an elevator and fights him while they travel to a different floor, all in one shot, was pretty baller.

The whole episode's Team Arrow fights were great, it doesn't have to be Daredevil's caliber to be exciting and refreshing on a different series.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jessica Jones is up.

I'm just going to watch one episode and then go to bed. yea, one episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

When does Arrow reach its quota for thwarting truck heists.

That's their bread and butter mate.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Jessica Jones is up.

I'm just going to watch one episode and then go to bed. yea, one episode.

You have to at least see the fight scene in episode two, amazing.

I'm just starting Ep 3, and I'm really liking it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

That's their bread and butter mate.

Also they actually failed this time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LordPants posted:

You have to at least see the fight scene in episode two, amazing.

I'm just starting Ep 3, and I'm really liking it.

I was able to stop after one, only because I was super tired. Kilgrave is done so well, and even though he's got like 10 seconds of screen time they establish him as an incredibly terrifying villain from the start.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Skwirl posted:

I actually think it was a bit closer to a shot from Hard Boiled that did a similar set up with an elevator in a hospital.

EDIT: Well, upon watching it again I guess the only relation is the elevator trick but here's the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYYSy5H1MKw

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 20, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, how is Gotham season 2? Worth watching?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Following Quesada's comments earlier this week, Jeph Loeb offers a more unequivocal denial of the Iron Fist rumors:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/jeph-loeb-says-theres-never-been-any-change-on-iron-fist

Though he also said a casting announcement was "close" back at SDCC, and that was over four months ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

Following Quesada's comments earlier this week, Jeph Loeb offers a more unequivocal denial of the Iron Fist rumors:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/jeph-loeb-says-theres-never-been-any-change-on-iron-fist

Though he also said a casting announcement was "close" back at SDCC, and that was over four months ago.

Ryan Phillipe seemed to be the guy, he tweeted a bit about talks with Marvel. He has several black belts so he could walk the walk but he's been dead silent about it since then.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

"If I'm not back in 2 hours I want you to remove the skin from your faces."

Tennant is a pretty good Purple Man, IMO.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Scyantific posted:

"If I'm not back in 2 hours I want you to remove the skin from your faces."

Tennant is a pretty good Purple Man, IMO.
I wasn't totally sold on the writing of Purple Man, but I love Tennant's dead-pan delivery of his monstrous commands. I'm glad he didn't play the character as slimy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm liking Jessica Jones so far, though I've only watched episodes 1-4. I prefer Daredevil's faster paced action personally, but it's definitely got its own feel to it which is nice. Everything so far is spot on, and I'm looking forward to the Luke Cage series, they did good on casting.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Regardless of how JJ compares to DD, it's such a different take on superhero live-action than anything that's ever been done. It's probably one of the easiest at making you forget you're watching something based on a comicbook. It's also avoids the fan service-y stuff with a billion reference to take you out of it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, how is Gotham season 2? Worth watching?
It is a garbage show.

edit: enjoyed by garbage people.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 21, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ufarn posted:

Regardless of how JJ compares to DD, it's such a different take on superhero live-action than anything that's ever been done. It's probably one of the easiest at making you forget you're watching something based on a comicbook. It's also avoids the fan service-y stuff with a billion reference to take you out of it.

man, I dunno

there are a LOT of references, maybe not as far reaching as daredevil, but they're there

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

man, I dunno

there are a LOT of references, maybe not as far reaching as daredevil, but they're there
Yeah, but at least by quantity it's much better. The Avengers references are sooo awful, tough.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
best jessica jones running gag in this household right now is how the Avengers were replaced with a bus

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've finished six episodes thus far and feel Jessica Jones is a much better show than Daredevil and three days ago I could not have imagined saying that.

Also Mike Colter is so perfect as Luke Cage that I need at least five season of the Luke Cage show. Don't let me down Netflix.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how no said something like "you're just a hellcat!" to Patsy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

I've finished six episodes thus far and feel Jessica Jones is a much better show than Daredevil and three days ago I could not have imagined saying that.

Also Mike Colter is so perfect as Luke Cage that I need at least five season of the Luke Cage show. Don't let me down Netflix.

i'm about 10 episodes in, and i think Jessica Jones as a show has a much more obvious set of problems than Daredevil (crappy fight direction, bad voiceover narration, the awful cop character, a lot of very goofy plot contrivances, plus I wish they hadn't rushed into the Purple Man stuff so early), but I'm still enjoying it. i definitely agree about the Luke Cage casting, anyway. both uses of "Sweet Christmas" got a big reaction out of me.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 21, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
1x13
I loving love Nuke's representation in this series.

He is perfect for what he is supposed to represent.

Pure unadulterated patriarchy.

He truly does love and care for Trish, but he is another representation of control. He is someone that represents the thought that women are incapable of dealing with their own problems and need someone else to protect them or tell them what the best course of action is. Even when he was doing it with the best of intentions as the nice guy he was still always pushing that his way with Jessica trying to get Trish to back him because his solution was the correct one and all the women should listen to him, which manifests in him ignoring Trish's plan when he finds Killgrave and trying to take matters into his own hands because he knows what's best. He gets blown up for that line of thinking. Then he reunites with his old buddies and hits you over the head with it in a more blunt manner

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ufarn posted:

Yeah, but at least by quantity it's much better. The Avengers references are sooo awful, tough.

"Awful" is a big overstatement, IMO, but they'd certainly be less awkward if the creators were less oddly gun-shy about referencing the Avengers and their members by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Barry Convex posted:

"Awful" is a big overstatement, IMO, but they'd certainly be less awkward if the creators were less oddly gun-shy about referencing the Avengers and their members by name.

I'm about halfway through the season so far but my complaints are the same as Daredevil. I wish there were more standalone episodes rather than a season long buildup (Like Kingpin in Daredevil), and the references to the MCU just seem so forced. Least favorite moment so far is the 1x5 (I think) wife and husband surprise "we hate superpower people", which I guess it's ironic that I didn't like being it's standalone