Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Thanks for the super detailed write-ups both of you. It really helpped me know what to shoot for next. Didn't even occur to me to check the AH for weapon mats from Oboro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Thanks for the super detailed write-ups both of you. It really helpped me know what to shoot for next. Didn't even occur to me to check the AH for weapon mats from Oboro!

as an owner of the egeking he makes for rdm, don't bother with it. Sandung is a good stopgap though. you'll eventually replace it, but it's a good start.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Moldy Taxes posted:

Is there a i119 replacement for the elemental staves/combo staff? I saw that there was a cure potency staff from some Unity thing, but I'd like to replace my Chantoyant Staff with another all in one if possible.
Which job(s) did you have leveled and which job(s) do you want to gear/play?

There really is no ilvl119 replace for the Chatoyant staff's effects, but there are plenty of ilvl119 options that are better than it. You can easily do alluvion skirmish cirdas(club useable by whm/rdm/blu/geo) and rala(staff usebale by blm/smn/sch) for ilvl119 weapons.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Tamaxchi <---for cure potency and it is easy to get because wkr is very doable. It is ilvl115 though.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

as an owner of the egeking he makes for rdm, don't bother with it. Sandung is a good stopgap though. you'll eventually replace it, but it's a good start.

Sandung is not worth spending your gil on it, that is my opinion. You can make a case for it if you have gil to spare and want plenty of th+ items. You can easily do alluvion skirmishes for two ipetams(useable by both rdm and thf)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Gruknor posted:

Which job(s) did you have leveled and which job(s) do you want to gear/play?

There really is no ilvl119 replace for the Chatoyant staff's effects, but there are plenty of ilvl119 options that are better than it. You can easily do alluvion skirmish cirdas(club useable by whm/rdm/blu/geo) and rala(staff usebale by blm/smn/sch) for ilvl119 weapons.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Tamaxchi <---for cure potency and it is easy to get because wkr is very doable. It is ilvl115 though.

I've got RDM, WHM, BRD, THF, and DNC leveled. I was told I'd need an Empyrian instrument to do anything modern on Bard, so that's out, and my current goal is to finish SoA and RoV on RDM (for sentimental reasons) and then keep WHM and THF/DNC up to date for more recent content/soloing junk with trusts.

I'll look into the stuff you linked when I get home, though. Thanks.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Any ideas as to why I keep wiping on the alluvion Rala NM? I'm going as a sparks thf with leiselonu +2 (or h/e it's spelled), but my trust healer (Kupipi or Nash) always gets KO'd by AoE, and after that it's a lost cause. I was using eude. cape since I had a bunch of them, if that matters.

Also, is there a better way to do alluvion yorcia other than the 1/1/1/sash 'summon kirin, stand around' strategy? When I do it like that I can only finish one floor consistently, sometimes I can get two but I realized it's not worth chancing Kirin despawning before the base is dead.

I really don't want to be a scrubby sparks noob anymore, but soloing this poo poo as a sparks melee is harder than people make it out to be.

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 18, 2015

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Rape Stink posted:

Any ideas as to why I keep wiping on the alluvion Rala NM? I'm going as a sparks thf with leiselonu +2 (or h/e it's spelled), but my trust healer (Kupipi or Nash) always gets KO'd by AoE, and after that it's a lost cause. I was using eude. cape since I had a bunch of them, if that matters.

Also, is there a better way to do alluvion yorcia other than the 1/1/1/sash 'summon kirin, stand around' strategy? When I do it like that I can only finish one floor consistently, sometimes I can get two but I realized it's not worth chancing Kirin despawning before the base is dead.

I really don't want to be a scrubby sparks noob anymore, but soloing this poo poo as a sparks melee is harder than people make it out to be.

You probably should not solo an alluvion skirmish unless you don't care about winning. I would focus on getting the currency you need to summon stuff and making sure the base is not going to die. Sparks gear has a lot of defensive stats but not a lot of offensive stats. To successfully solo an alluvion skirm, you need both. Soloing rala and cirdas is a lot harder than soloing yorcia. For rala or cirdas, I would shout for a group instead of wasting your time soloing it. I would also do a shout group for yorcia alluvion skirmish, no sense in wasting time. Just let everyone know it is free, but you are going to be a popper/pokemon master and that you claim one piece of taeon armor. Most people would gladly go for the chance at augment stones. You might want to spring for a 2/2/2 or a 3/3/3 set. Unless you want to solo each alluvion skirmish as some sort of achievement, I would skip soloing them until you have better gear or a better understanding of how the mechanics work. Check out the bg-wiki, ffxiah forums, ffxiclopedia, and the bluegartr forum for info on alluvion skirmish mechanics and normally whatever else you need to know about ffxi.

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 19, 2015

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
how many floors can a group usually get through on a 1/1/1 alluvion yorcia?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Rape Stink posted:

how many floors can a group usually get through on a 1/1/1 alluvion yorcia?

all of them

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Gruknor posted:

all of them

Ahh cool, I wasn't aware there was a limit, I just figured it was on a timer since the wikis don't mention anything about a floor limit. How many floors are there? Is there a regular strategy for it in terms of what to summon or what jobs to bring? Is it bad form to ask for all the gear drops since I have multiple 99s I need geared and am paying for the entry items? I only ask because If I'm only going to get one piece for each group run while giving up the stones I'd rather just Kirin solo a single floor at a time since I can use just about every gear drop and will get to keep the stones.

Anyway, I hate to ask lots of dumb questions but the wikis are all getting out of date at this point, and I really don't want to have to search through thousands of posts on BG and AH to find stuff out. Especially since whenever I ask a question on BG I get talked down to like just bought the game yesterday despite the fact I played for 5 years before the cap went up, not to mention that's where people said alluvion was soloable with lvl119 trusts.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rape Stink posted:

Ahh cool, I wasn't aware there was a limit, I just figured it was on a timer since the wikis don't mention anything about a floor limit. How many floors are there? Is there a regular strategy for it in terms of what to summon or what jobs to bring? Is it bad form to ask for all the gear drops since I have multiple 99s I need geared and am paying for the entry items? I only ask because If I'm only going to get one piece for each group run while giving up the stones I'd rather just Kirin solo a single floor at a time since I can use just about every gear drop and will get to keep the stones.

Anyway, I hate to ask lots of dumb questions but the wikis are all getting out of date at this point, and I really don't want to have to search through thousands of posts on BG and AH to find stuff out. Especially since whenever I ask a question on BG I get talked down to like just bought the game yesterday despite the fact I played for 5 years before the cap went up, not to mention that's where people said alluvion was soloable with lvl119 trusts.

You're safe here, friend. Ask away.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Whenever you see someone say "Easily soloable" keep in mind that the person is most likely talking about a completely pimped out 119 BLU with every spell, mountains of gearswap macros set up, and thousands of job points. Much like in any other game ever, when someone on the internet says it's easy, it's not actually easy they are just out of touch with the real world.

Alluvion Cirdas/Rala are not very solo friendly for most classes, there are a lot of huge AoE moves and really nasty debuffs. Yorcia is only doable because most of the heavy lifting can be done by the NPCs you summon instead, and even then you have to have a really good understanding of the random map layouts to be able to farm up enough points to keep summoning, and make it back to your book quickly to actually spend them. If you can do 1/1/1 by yourself and are ok with it then by all means keep going, but there isn't really any downside to going with a shout group either since each person gets their own unique treasure pool and the only thing to fight over is the random drops. Generally if you use a sword instead of a cape you're going to have a much easier time since it favors melee damage over the cape and sash. Everything is on both a timer and a floor limit, so obviously the more people you have the faster thigns will go so you can get to the top floor. Plus once past the first floor there's a chance that you'll spawn the boss instead of the regular enemy base and he can drop a lot of stuff.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I, too, feel like a big poop noobie after coming back from a few years break. Every time I think about the kinds of things I'd need to do to get my jobs geared up I get overwhelmed.

I did end up finishing WotG and the Cait Sith/Atomos summoning quests, though. I liked the story, but man I can't imagine doing all this walking around before teleporting to home points/survival guides was a thing.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Rape Stink posted:

I can't remember how many floors there are, I think it is four or five. The standard strategy when I did alluvion yorcia was to have one person dedicated to do book summoning, that person also kept track of the enemy base's hp and was prepared to warp you to the next floor. Your pokemon/summons/valiants can't kill the enemy base if it is at 1% hp. You or someone else on your team needs to whack it to kill it and win that floor. Floor layouts are basically the same, I think there are a few different variations but it does not really matter. Now about summoning your pokemon. Depending on how fast your group gets to 1000 points, you might need to summon worms to defend your base before summoning the boss.

It never hurts to ask questions, but you also need to be able to look for information for yourself. bg-wiki.com, ffxiah forums, blue gartr forums, ffxiclopedia are a few sources you will need to answer most of your quetsions. The official site has all the info on updates/patches/events/campaigns/discounts/etc and anything account/server related. Make sure to have fun and you will enjoy your time in ffxi.

Moldy Taxes posted:

I, too, feel like a big poop noobie after coming back from a few years break. Every time I think about the kinds of things I'd need to do to get my jobs geared up I get overwhelmed.

I did end up finishing WotG and the Cait Sith/Atomos summoning quests, though. I liked the story, but man I can't imagine doing all this walking around before teleporting to home points/survival guides was a thing.

Sparks gear is really the best starting point. The armor is weak in offense, but has decent defense. After that you want to do alluvion yorcia skirmish for armors, augment stones and wings. Once you have a full set of armor, you should try your hand and rala/cirdas alluvion skirmish. It is a little bit trickier, but you can get a decent ilvl119 weapon. After that you can get a +2 augment stone for 3,000 login points or 12 +1 stones for a red mog pell or farm them yourself or get gil or just forget about it. Reforging your artifact/relic armors is another good way to get gear. The empyrean 109 reforging is easy enough except those items from the abyssea nms. The 119 empy upgrade is a bit harder to come by because people that do vagary usually are looking for niche jobs, blm/sch/geo are always useful.

Shinjobi posted:

You're safe here, friend. Ask away.

Shinjobi is always asking me where the clitoris is located. I feel bad for the guy, so I do it anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHyWf9hyIVY <--link to a chef from south park explaining how to please a woman

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gruknor posted:

Shinjobi is always asking me where the clitoris is located. I feel bad for the guy, so I do it anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHyWf9hyIVY <--link to a chef from south park explaining how to please a woman

I would be nothing without your guidance.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Thanks for the help dudes. I'll probably be on tonight trying to round up a group.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Gruknor posted:

The 119 empy upgrade is a bit harder to come by because people that do vagary usually are looking for niche jobs

You get a *free* item for reforging the first time you kill the boss with the RoE quest for that boss active, so your first set is 100% drop, effectively.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just need to try vagary one of these days. No idea how it works.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You get a *free* item for reforging the first time you kill the boss with the RoE quest for that boss active, so your first set is 100% drop, effectively.

There is that, which is really nice. I got a full geomancer empy armor+1 set out of it.

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

Rape Stink posted:

Thanks for the help dudes. I'll probably be on tonight trying to round up a group.

Definitely let me know if you try this, or just about anything else. Like yourself, I'm a bit overwhelmed when it comes to what I need vs. what I can do solo.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Awesome OClock posted:

Definitely let me know if you try this, or just about anything else. Like yourself, I'm a bit overwhelmed when it comes to what I need vs. what I can do solo.

fo' sho'. What's your name in game?

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

Rape Stink posted:

fo' sho'. What's your name in game?

Skatanic- I'm considering resubbing after the trial ends, so if we can get something going, we can likely make a habit of doing junk.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I'm trying to finish the limit break 3 quest, but when I go to Castle Oztroja I am unable to light the torches to open the brass door. I have no idea how to get them to light, and all the guides I have read just go up and click on them. I do that and just get a message saying you find an unlit torch, but nothing happens.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
you need the torch key item from another sidequest that i forget the name of, it should be in the prereq list for G3 over on xiclopedia

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

In general, if you need information on missions/quests for anything abyssea and earlier you should look for on FFXIclopedia, and for anything newer, use BGwiki.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Hivac posted:

you need the torch key item from another sidequest that i forget the name of, it should be in the prereq list for G3 over on xiclopedia

Perfect, thanks.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You usually get the key item in the process of doing the mission to rank up from 4 to 5 in your country missions.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I've been wanting to play a mortgage where you had to kill camps in a group for xp. Would this be the place?

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Against all my better judgement I've started playing this and probably will continue for at least a short while.
May I get a linkpearl? I'm on Asura as Cetan.

siotle fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 22, 2015

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

blablablabla posted:

I've been wanting to play a mortgage where you had to kill camps in a group for xp. Would this be the place?

This is an MMORPG, not a mortage. A mortgage ends in death, a mmorpg is everlasting. Even Everquest is not completely dead. You could solo kill camps with trust npcs to get exp in order to level to 99. That is similar, but it might not be exactly what you want. Trust npcs are basically an automated NPC that you can summon. Trust npcs can fill all the group roles, tank, healer, damage, buffs.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah no I wanted some good old, pull one crab at a time so a band of a few players could kill it. Oh well

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

blablablabla posted:

Yeah no I wanted some good old, pull one crab at a time so a band of a few players could kill it. Oh well

If you are looking for a good old fashioned late-90's early-2000's MMO grind, you might want to look into Project 1999.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

blablablabla posted:

Apex mob JP camps. Pull, skillchain, MB, dead. rinse & repeat for 5 hours.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

blablablabla posted:

I can do this now with NPC party members. Also about 15x faster. For more exp. Seriously getting 1.2 k exp per kill.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

blablablabla posted:

People exp this way at 99 for Job Points as was mentioned. It's a bit faster paced than old exp parties, but it's the same style pull, kill, repeat. Just mobs die in 20 seconds.

Alternatively if you want a really classic experience, check out the Nasomi private server. The admin there is hardcore into old school, so much so she's removed functionality from the private server code to keep it harder. It's locked at 75 cap. Locked to CoP era (no TOAU, but they do have the TOAU jobs added), and a whole host of other changes.
http://nasomi.com/
It's one of the more popular private servers. I've given it a try due to nostalgia, but I just don't have the time in my life for that kind of grind. :(

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man, I stopped playing this game before FFXIV launched, but I'm feeling really nostalgic and sad just finding out that FFXI is currently running their last expansion (I actually learned about this from the FFXI event in FFXIV).

Like, I actually feel really bad that I'm not around to play it and learn how the game's story wraps up.

Besides the 'FFXI the movie' linked above, is there a good write up of the story as a whole, including Rhapsodies? I'd love to stroll through all that nostalgia through a reading of the lore.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

People exp this way at 99 for Job Points as was mentioned. It's a bit faster paced than old exp parties, but it's the same style pull, kill, repeat. Just mobs die in 20 seconds.

Alternatively if you want a really classic experience, check out the Nasomi private server. The admin there is hardcore into old school, so much so she's removed functionality from the private server code to keep it harder. It's locked at 75 cap. Locked to CoP era (no TOAU, but they do have the TOAU jobs added), and a whole host of other changes.
http://nasomi.com/
It's one of the more popular private servers. I've given it a try due to nostalgia, but I just don't have the time in my life for that kind of grind. :(

How is this popular, everything about it sounds terrible. I knew a lot of die-hard FFXI fans and even they all loved the new quality of life changes and the Abyssea systems, this server is actively working to never go down those roads though?

I know scripting on private servers is always difficult, especially when most things are stored server side so they basically have to write everything by hand, but it seems like there aren't any private servers around that offer anything that has made this game actually fun and instead focus solely on trying to recreate that god awful crab grinding treadmill with no point from ten years ago. That game was so ridiculous that the developers of the "sequel" even recognized it as the joke that it is and used it to give PTSD flashbacks to people who move on to 14 with their Iroha event.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I guess it's just nostalgia. That's what drove me to try it. Then I quickly realized it's a massive time sink and gave up after some bad parties in the dunes.

So I attribute it to rose tinted glasses. I just started college when FFXI came out and had a ton of free time so I guess the grind was more tolerable.
These days current FFXI fits my busy life well. So I'm happy it's evolved.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Male of the Century posted:

How is this popular, everything about it sounds terrible. I knew a lot of die-hard FFXI fans and even they all loved the new quality of life changes and the Abyssea systems, this server is actively working to never go down those roads though?

I know scripting on private servers is always difficult, especially when most things are stored server side so they basically have to write everything by hand, but it seems like there aren't any private servers around that offer anything that has made this game actually fun and instead focus solely on trying to recreate that god awful crab grinding treadmill with no point from ten years ago. That game was so ridiculous that the developers of the "sequel" even recognized it as the joke that it is and used it to give PTSD flashbacks to people who move on to 14 with their Iroha event.

It really is just a form of Stockholm syndrome. Turbospergs enjoy subjecting themselves to all sorts of abuse for shiny digital trinkets so they can gloat, CoP era was rife with impossible poo poo like dring, ebody and the like. Im just suprised they dont have toau just for toau kings, and old salvage. Achievement thru self-inflicted injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
That's the crazy part about that particular server, they did have ToAU but turned it off and reverted back to CoP and moved the new job NPCs into old zones so you could still use them. I guess colibri camps were just too much for the old guard.