Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

The dude who will put a boot in your rear end courtesy of the red, white and blue? That seems unlikely.

Brad Paisley played a loving Obama rally if I remember right and I don't think it affected him at all. But I don't keep up with country.

He's a registered Democrat apparently and-why-the-gently caress-do-I-even-know-what-Toby-loving-Keith's-politics-are?

I think most people who enjoy being entertained have accepted their favorite singers or actors' differing political opinions. There is a significant chunk of people who don't and shun mainstream movies and music. Which is how something like The Passion of the Christ can make 600 million dollars even though I knew no one under the age of 80 who went to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Krispy Kareem posted:

Which is how something like The Passion of the Christ can make 600 million dollars even though I knew no one under the age of 80 who went to it.

Whenever you see some garbage-rear end religious or political movie with "call or visit www for group ticket sales", there's your answer. Kinda like how right wing shitheads get think tanks and PACs to buy thousands of copies of their book to give away.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the Left Behind books the villains are satan and college professors. People eat those books up.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
You know the stupid Lexus with a big red bow commercials that come out every year? I saw this year's the other night, and there's something about how penguins at the North Pole work together to deliver your Lexus to you. I realize it's just a dumb commercial, but penguins only live in the southern hemisphere :mad:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Zaphod42 posted:

They could get the Gorillaz in there too.

And Studio Killers

:bandwagon:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Brad Paisley played a loving Obama rally if I remember right and I don't think it affected him at all. But I don't keep up with country.
it literally helps if you're a man because a man can have different opinions but a woman who doesn't listen and agree with and do as she is told is a Threat To Our Traditional Way Of Life (source: was living in the south the year the Dixie Chicks did the thing & thus heard and read people's criticisms)

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
So I just listened to an ad on Spotify that advertised an "On Fleek" station that had two (completely white-sounding) people say that they were on fleek, that their whole squad was on fleek, and that the station was on fleek. Isn't fleek like several years old in fad timescales by now? Does anyone really use those two terms in conjunction anymore?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kumaton posted:

So I just listened to an ad on Spotify that advertised an "On Fleek" station that had two (completely white-sounding) people say that they were on fleek, that their whole squad was on fleek, and that the station was on fleek. Isn't fleek like several years old in fad timescales by now? Does anyone really use those two terms in conjunction anymore?

Whenever you hear it on the radio is when you know its not remotely cool anymore.

Remember all those tons of ads about texting language? "Like OMG dad WTF why dont you LMNOP and go BBQ some WXYZ?" (pronouncing each letter)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

canyoneer posted:

Here's a dumb move in marketing: being a country music musician in 2003 criticizing then president George W. Bush
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks#2003.E2.80.9305:_Political_controversy

Talk about not reading your audience. Their career completely lost all momentum and took a dive they never really recovered from.

Their music is garbage so nothing of value was lost anyway.

This is one of the most extreme examples of awful brand management in entertainment history. Holy poo poo. I wonder how many heart attacks their agent(s) had as they watched the girls put a round in the chamber, point the gun at their foot, and squeeze the trigger.

They were (by contemporary country music standards) great performers, and based on all third-party accounts and interviews with the band members themselves that I've read, pretty intelligent people. Why the everliving gently caress they thought this was a good idea is anybody's guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The George W. Bush administration was a dark time, but I like to think I could hold my tongue if millions of dollars were on the line.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It was the political version of An Indecent Proposal - they had to decide if they wanted to keep being ethically hosed for a million bucks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Have we gotten so cynical that we're actually calling artists out on NOT selling out? :v:

At a certain point you look at yourself and say "hey, I've got enough money to live, I may as well speak my mind now"

But yeah they probably should have realized it wouldn't do any good with their audience anyways. Surprised they didn't try to transition to another style of music with a different audience, but I guess that's just what they know.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

IIRC, they spoke out against Bush at a concert in England. The American press got hold of it, and welp :v:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

This just in, on the band's recent UK tour they said that the City of London was their favorite place to play, but a week later they told the residents of New York that it was their favorite place... Can this band of liars be trusted to not spew falsehoods to our innocent children?! Our shocking revelations may disgust you, more at 11:00.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

IIRC, they spoke out against Bush at a concert in England. The American press got hold of it, and welp :v:

That was the biggest part of the backlash. They were overseas bashing the President. It's not like people weren't bashing the President domestically, but it rubbed people the wrong way when you're doing it with another country. Kind of like how you talk poo poo about your own family, but you feel defensive of someone else starts talking bad about them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Kareem posted:

That was the biggest part of the backlash. They were overseas bashing the President. It's not like people weren't bashing the President domestically, but it rubbed people the wrong way when you're doing it with another country. Kind of like how you talk poo poo about your own family, but you feel defensive of someone else starts talking bad about them.

That and the Iraq War was a pretty polarizing issue in 2003.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
How them saying that they were sorry for how America had been acting since 9/11 was blown up into a treasonous act of America-bashing by a country hungry for a blood sacrifice was a pretty dumb marketing move, especially since these days almost nobody would disagree with the sentiment.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Meh, they kinda just transitioned at that point from country icons to "Female Empowerment" symbols. It certainly wasn't the same level of success, but they suddenly shifted into a new stereotype by being "strong women not afraid to speak their mind". I know a lot of ladies on my facebook feed super excited for the upcoming US tour.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InediblePenguin posted:

it literally helps if you're a man because a man can have different opinions but a woman who doesn't listen and agree with and do as she is told is a Threat To Our Traditional Way Of Life (source: was living in the south the year the Dixie Chicks did the thing & thus heard and read people's criticisms)

Not really. It was the timing, scale, location, and nature of what they said. Not even two years after 9/11 and anti-european sentiment was running wild in America and these geniuses thought it would be a good idea to use their huge platform to start apologizing to Europeans about America and how they're ashamed of us. And instead of letting it blow over, they doubled down on "this is why the rest of the world hates us" to the media outlets. Then right when people were forgetting about it they did the rounds on talk shows doing really backhanded apologies.

It was a really bad move and literally the worst way someone could have handled the situation as it progressed. Truly a dumb move in marketing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I was a country music superstar I would open every concert by screaming "Death to America!"

twistedmentat posted:

And that's why we have The Smiths.

The Smiths are always pretty tongue in cheek though. Except when Morrissey is singing about meat. Morrissey is serious about meat.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

But before this devolves more into whether or not it was the right thing for them to do as people, re-read the last two words of the thread title

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FreudianSlippers posted:

If I was a country music superstar I would open every concert by screaming "Death to America!"

The Smiths are always pretty tongue in cheek though. Except when Morrissey is singing about meat. Morrissey is serious about meat.

Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure, they all come from the depressing English weather.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

tacodaemon posted:

That slide show kicked rear end, remember the picture where it looked like the dude's dick turned into charcoal or half-cooled lava or something :black101:

It was like the Pain Series became standard high school curriculum

what std causes charcoal dick?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

canyoneer posted:

Here's a dumb move in marketing: being a country music musician in 2003 criticizing then president George W. Bush
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks#2003.E2.80.9305:_Political_controversy

Talk about not reading your audience. Their career completely lost all momentum and took a dive they never really recovered from.

Their music is garbage so nothing of value was lost anyway.

The thing is, it doesn't work the other way 'round.

When Ryan said his favourite band was RATM, the band's predominantly left leaning fans just laughed at hiom, and continued to listen to "their" band.

Although that could be because he was just saying that to seem "cool", and no-one one eitehr side of politics really believed him.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

BrigadierSensible posted:

The thing is, it doesn't work the other way 'round.

When Ryan said his favourite band was RATM, the band's predominantly left leaning fans just laughed at hiom, and continued to listen to "their" band.

Although that could be because he was just saying that to seem "cool", and no-one one eitehr side of politics really believed him.

I recall some politician using some RATM song out of context and without permission, to which they replied, "gently caress you, you are the machine."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The classic is right wing politicians using Born in the USA. A song about the lovely treatment of Vietnam vets by a left wing blue collar rocker, yea perfect song for right with "USA USA gently caress THE WORLD!" politicians to use.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

See also Heart forbidding McCain/Palin from using their music in 2008.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ditto John Cougar Melloncamp

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

twistedmentat posted:

The classic is right wing politicians using Born in the USA. A song about the lovely treatment of Vietnam vets by a left wing blue collar rocker, yea perfect song for right with "USA USA gently caress THE WORLD!" politicians to use.

Even better was New Jersey considering adopting "Born to Run" as the state song.

quote:

Baby this town rips the bones from your back
it's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
we gotta get out while we're young.

I mean, yeah, that fits perfectly for a lot of places in New Jersey, but you're not supposed to *tell people that*.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I'm fond of how much play 'Fortunate Son' gets from that crowd, too.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Fosters are doing a campaign in the UK at the moment where some millennial types are getting to go on a trip around the world and film it. They're using some clips at the start of certain TV programs that they are sponsoring, and this was one of them recently. It was the start of a lot of the programmes on 4od (UK's channel 4 online service) and you can't skip it and Adblocking software doesn't seem to hide it either. Also on the telly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPi1CXddFiI

I hate it, I hate the way he slurps on the foot, and the way you then hear some delicious retching and vomiting noises. Admittedly it was funny the first time but after seeing it 20 times it has put me off Fosters (which is a nasty drink really anyway) and using the 4od service until it is not played anymore.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

No wonder we were able to kick you guys out of America if a commercial will stop you from using a streaming service

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

ArcMage posted:

I'm fond of how much play 'Fortunate Son' gets from that crowd, too.

The best use of Fortunate Son I can recall was on... I think it was a Ford commercial? They started with the lyrics, "Some folks are born made to wave the flag, yeah, that red white and blue!" And then just played the rest of the commercial as instrumental. :v:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A few years ago, some dog food company used the instrumental bits of the Magnetic Fields song "I Think I Need a New Heart" for a commercial. Like just about everything they do, it's a jaunty little song with devastatingly sad (though funny) lyrics, and it always weirded me out to hear it on TV, look up, and see happy little dogs.

Also, I recall McDonald's doing the same thing with instrumentals from "The Crane Wife" by The Decemberists. Again, pretty music, devastating lyrics, though this time about feathers falling from skin and a chorus of "I will hang my head low" repeated over and over. Which I guess is actually appropriate for a visit to McDonald's.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Someone Awful! posted:

The best use of Fortunate Son I can recall was on... I think it was a Ford commercial? They started with the lyrics, "Some folks are born made to wave the flag, yeah, that red white and blue!" And then just played the rest of the commercial as instrumental. :v:

The only lyrics that matter according to politicians and corporate America. See: the "Sixteen Tons" GE coal commercial or GMC's current "Eminence Front (instrumental only, no lyrics)" ad campaign.

In fact, speaking of dumb moves in marketing, GMC and Chevy have shifted from "Like A Rock" "our trucks are pretty badass and can do most anything you throw at them and they will always be dependable because we want you as a proud owner of one" to "YOU'RE A LITTLE PANSY-rear end NANCY BOY IF YOU DON'T BUY ONE OF OUR HIDEOUSLY OVERSIZED TRUCKS YOU WILL NEVER USE FOR HAULING STUFF OR DRIVING OFF THE PAVEMENT TO DRIVE A COUPLE OF BLOCKS FROM YOUR PENTHOUSE IN ONE SKYSCRAPER TO YOUR AD EXECUTIVE JOB IN ANOTHER SKYSCRAPER." It's pretty terrible all around.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So today I was browsing Cracked. The ads on that site are designed to look like articles. often with click-baity titles and wacky themes. I think Slim Jim went a little too far with that idea today...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm going to say they didn't go far enough, because the entire beard should be slim jims

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I thought it was, I don't know how long I can retain my goon status if I keep failing to identify junk food

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sentient Data posted:

I thought it was, I don't know how long I can retain my goon status if I keep failing to identify junk food

False positives on the 'can I eat it' check is a pretty solid goon trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

So today I was browsing Cracked. The ads on that site are designed to look like articles. often with click-baity titles and wacky themes. I think Slim Jim went a little too far with that idea today...

Slim Jim's advertising has always been questionable