Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Perhaps unremarkable wasn't the right word, but the tone is completely different from how it was in 2011.

I'm glad anime no longer has a monopoly on character shipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

icantfindaname posted:

I'm glad anime no longer has a monopoly on character shipping
(whispers)

The new generation of western cartoons is stylistically just a hop, skip and a jump away from anime.

(drops a smokebomb and disappears from the thread)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

frank.club posted:

Looks like a boner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO5gJqH8U7Q

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
So 8 episodes to have nothing really change. Okay.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I think you will find that Marceline learned an important lesson about self acceptance and sovereign rule via conquest.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Parts Kit posted:

So 8 episodes to have nothing really change. Okay.

You missed the point of Everything Stays, and the overall theme of the series.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yeah saying nothing has changed misses the point.
MArcie might be a vampire again but she's had a bit of time to grow up and now has recent mortal memories, it's not a Big Earthshattering thing but I think it holds more meaning than some big plot development. Same with Peebles and the kingdom. Things might get back to normal but that doesn't change that things happened.

at least that's how I feel but I have the fewest problems with this show. Except I'm getting increasingly tired of how characters talk in this show but whatever.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

a cop posted:

You missed the point of Everything Stays, and the overall theme of the series.
Or I didn't and thought it was a lot of potential for shaking up the characters that got wrapped up in a weak "everything is back to normal except some internal development in one character" ending.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The cartoon vampire remained a cartoon vampire. Disappointing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's kind of bleak that Mr. Belvedere and Cheers are the sole remaining elements of human culture.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

It's kind of bleak that Mr. Belvedere and Cheers are the sole remaining elements of human culture.
Untrue, there's also Heat Signiture.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Parts Kit posted:

Or I didn't and thought it was a lot of potential for shaking up the characters that got wrapped up in a weak "everything is back to normal except some internal development in one character" ending.

I mean that's what the show has been doing for literally 9 seasons now so if you expect anything else the joke's on you i guess

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

icantfindaname posted:

I mean that's what the show has been doing for literally 9 seasons now so if you expect anything else the joke's on you i guess
Yeah, seriously.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The cartoon vampire remained a cartoon vampire. Disappointing.

'Marceline, The Half-Demon Girl' doesn't have the same ring to it.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Going for the "everything back to normal except character development" ending isn't objectively bad. I understand the desire to shake up the status quo though. Maybe i am strange in that i'm more or less just as happy either way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Flame Princess and the Flame Kingdom are the only major characters/settings that have seen permanent change, iirc

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Nearly all of the characters have changed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm more fine with Marcie going back to being a vampire than PB going back to ruling the Candy Kingdom. I knew that was gonna go back eventually and I was fine with that but I really wanted more time with KOO and more time with PB trying to start over. I thought those two elements were really working well and wanted more time with them.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

My complaint has always been the character arcs/development itself being bad, as opposed to things staying the same per se. And that was actually good with these episodes, so I'm fine

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Rewatched the whole thing and the ending sat with me better this time especially because of how blatant the lyrics to the song at the end were to spelling out the themes. Also PepBut's reaction to seeing the Vampire King was freakin adorable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Characters continue to embody their respective high-level concepts, but mature and develop more complex attitudes towards each other. It's good, as was "Stakes." The mini-series model worked a lot better than the long-form arcs that were going on in season 6, I think, and I hope they return to it. When Adventure Time gets serious, it really wants room to breathe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That was pretty good.

I'm still trying to figure out how The Moon's powers worked, though. It seemed like she had a whole lot more going on than the "self-healing" Marceline described her as having, and that fight wasn't really like fighting a cutting board at all.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I enjoyed the journey. Sorry some of you didn't like the destination.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Home is the best destination for any journey.

Also, the Vampire King's tantrum was amazing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bongo Bill posted:

Also, the Vampire King's tantrum was amazing.

I also think he referenced most of the Major Arcana that he wasn't already a reference to during his speech.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

cjg posted:

I enjoyed the journey. Sorry some of you didn't like the destination.

I feel like this quote really sums up my feelings on AT as a whole, to be honest

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I thought the miniseries was awesome, and with the other five episodes I'm enjoying this season more than the last so far.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Everything Stays was such a good song, but it annoyed the heck out of me how they just.... cut it off halfway through in the first episode.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
This is probably the best version out there, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2NJx_IMiVM

It's just annoying that one of the cast or crew was fooling around and made the audience laugh, otherwise it would be pretty much completely clean audio, maybe we'll see a studio recording of it at some point.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Rebecca Sugar uploaded a version of it on her tumblr: http://rebeccasugar.tumblr.com/post/133578557678

Have we gotten an Adventure Time OST yet?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like how in the end they have a cliche all the kingdoms coming together to fight the enemy thing, except everyone except Marceline pretty much proves to be completely useless.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wednesday, a BMO episode.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

axleblaze posted:

I like how in the end they have a cliche all the kingdoms coming together to fight the enemy thing, except everyone except Marceline pretty much proves to be completely useless.

Finn was incredibly useless for pretty much the entire thing.

I kind of appreciate that. He was majorly outclassed, still kept going out there. He didn't even really help, at all.

Jake at least got a kill with an assist from Crunchy.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PicklePants posted:

Finn was incredibly useless for pretty much the entire thing.

I kind of appreciate that. He was majorly outclassed, still kept going out there. He didn't even really help, at all.

Jake at least got a kill with an assist from Crunchy.
Haha, yeah, I love how he started punching the vampire king after he came down from the sky. Finn is written as if he's completely inept and just gets lucky sometimes when he finishes off a monster. I remember a ton of episodes where he's about to run in and kill something and he just trips at the last second or drops his sword.

It's great, especially because he just shrugs it off and tries again.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Haha, yeah, I love how he started punching the vampire king after he came down from the sky. Finn is written as if he's completely inept and just gets lucky sometimes when he finishes off a monster. I remember a ton of episodes where he's about to run in and kill something and he just trips at the last second or drops his sword.

Finn's success is 95% pluck and grit, 5% magical destiny poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
he is filled with DETERMINATION

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
His whole body is a callus.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
He has strawberry soft skin that is always exposed to the elements.

Later losers.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Just finished up Stakes, and in my opinion it was extremely good. Loved the Marceline version of the intro.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

JazzFlight posted:

I can't believe they worked in a "Finn kicking the Vampire King in the balls" gag there.

• Locked thread