Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Supremezero posted:

which is also standard for EO3

yes, this is precisely how EO3 works

in both ways. Hello, ninja skill tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
If I made an EO game (I will not) there would be an option in the menu labeled "More Games? Yes/No" and selecting No would replace all the battle music with Bloody Fight.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Actually the best way to drive someone mad would be to have all the music in the game be The Fall of the Final Enemy

holy poo poo that song got old really fast

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
"wait which one is fall of the final enemy?" *google* "OH GOD DAMNIT"

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

alcharagia posted:

NO MORE NO MORE GIVE ME NO GAMES POWER GIVE ME NO MORE POWER GAMES and Bloody Fight starts playing over itself five times in true Guile's Theme fashion.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8974580/ow.wav

I don't have Line-In recording for a few days (this laptop doesn't have a Line-In port) so I couldn't put in NO MORE GAMES but enjoy it anyway

Rea fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 22, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

oh my fcuking god

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

just listening to this staring into space with a smile

e: wait no that's my own drat fault. oops

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

How would Fafnir even work in a game without the EO2U Force system?

Maybe he'd be a guest party member with the EO2U Force System exclusive to him?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hivac posted:

just listening to this staring into space with a smile and oh jesus christ what just happened to the right channel

ragnar i think your abomination just tried to murder my headphones

That was literally maybe 45 seconds of work in Audacity with the extent of my editing being reducing the volume of every track so idk how channel-based fuckery could've happened

I probably could've lowered the volume of the PC-88 version a bit

e: oh

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

yeah turns out my brand new headphones might have broken already. GREAT

wasn't that, it just happened to occur at the exact same time

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ragnar Homsar posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8974580/ow.wav

I don't have Line-In recording for a few days (this laptop doesn't have a Line-In port) so I couldn't put in NO MORE GAMES but enjoy it anyway

:stonklol:

Oh dear

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8974580/ow_nmg.wav

The USB audio recording functionality of my 3DS capture card's a piece of poo poo, but in any case:

Bloody Fight x5, now with NO MORE GIVE ME GAMES POWER

I could've been working on my next update this entire day, I even have the footage ready, but instead I'm doing this

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
what the gently caress is even happening

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I could've been working on my next update this entire day, I even have the footage ready, but instead I'm doing this

Next update? You did the thread and I didn't notice!?

:shittypop:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Ragnar Homsar posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8974580/ow_nmg.wav

The USB audio recording functionality of my 3DS capture card's a piece of poo poo, but in any case:

Bloody Fight x5, now with NO MORE GIVE ME GAMES POWER

i hate this!!!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I was exploring a GameStop this afternoon (hey, Black Friday is coming up and I have cash that hasn't been spent yet.) and I saw a EOU2 box. I take a closer look at the gameplay image on the back and noticed that one of the characters was named 'Atlus'. Heh.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

GeneralYeti posted:

I was exploring a GameStop this afternoon (hey, Black Friday is coming up and I have cash that hasn't been spent yet.) and I saw a EOU2 box. I take a closer look at the gameplay image on the back and noticed that one of the characters was named 'Atlus'. Heh.

The in-game tutorials show a Fafnir named "Atlus" as well. I think the back of the EOU box has pictures with the Highlander named "ATLUS" as well, with the tutorials showing "Hero."

The back of the EOU box also shows Frederica being named "Ricky" which really confused me the first time I looked at it after having played the game

and yes I'm the guy who for some reason has every EO game on cartridge (the only game I don't have the box for is EO2)

Rea fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 22, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RareAcumen posted:

and I got to maintain my stranglehold on the market of High Lagaardian Alchemists. all is right with the world

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Theantero posted:

If nothing else, the honorable mentions prove that there is no need to be discouraged from making submissions because of bandwagons and well written effortposts. Like, my submission was three sentences.

Honestly I just go with whatever I think will work well. Which you all have no way of knowing, so I really wouldn't try to predict who I would pick. :v:

theshim posted:

what the gently caress is even happening

I have no idea.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have no idea.

I am the loving master of wasting time on stupid poo poo, a skill I honed well in the latter parts of high school.

All I have to show for my next update are GIFs of EO2U Attack Order and Volt Rounds and 19 screenshots. :v:

Rea fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 22, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In hindsight, making a submission of a character who reacts excitedly to things probably would get tiring really fast.

I'll think harder on my next submission!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In hindsight, making a submission of a character who reacts excitedly to things probably would get tiring really fast.

I'll think harder on my next submission!

I'll stand by mine because there's so many ways to be violently excited about monsters. :colbert:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah. It's pretty much EO appreciation season right now. Ragnar's covering Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold here. Now we just need people covering EOU, PQ, and EMD. :v: (Oh goodness, I would not wish the latter two on anybody)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Now we just need people covering EOU, PQ, and EMD. :v: (Oh goodness, I would not wish the latter two on anybody)

I am genuinely considering LP'ing PQ sometime after I finish EO2U (well, if I finish EO2U) because while Inaba Pride, the majority of the game's writing, and some really baffling decisions with character balance drag the game down quite badly, it still does have some good things in it!

Even if one of the biggest things is just the soundtrack.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
On that note, it is now Laser Beam time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imI4gZOS7OQ

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Supremezero posted:

On that note, it is now Laser Beam time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imI4gZOS7OQ

I think it was alcharagia who said that PQ's greatest sin was having the best normal boss fight music in the entire EO series and only using it 3 times.

I wouldn't say it's PQ's greatest issue but it's certainly up there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Persona Q's not outright terrible. I mean, yeah, it's not the best entry and it kinda drags a little to the point of being a little stale. But it's semi-enjoyable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah. It's pretty much EO appreciation season right now. Ragnar's covering Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold here. Now we just need people covering EOU, PQ, and EMD. :v: (Oh goodness, I would not wish the latter two on anybody)

Way to go Fetus, you got people to LP the games that're out of your reach.

Now if only people would finish off almost completed series like Sly Cooper and Crash Bandicoot.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Persona Q's not outright terrible. I mean, yeah, it's not the best entry and it kinda drags a little to the point of being a little stale. But it's semi-enjoyable.

Personally, I liked the Circle skills. I hope they return if/when EO5 happens. A bit more balanced of course, and an associated damage skill that makes sense. (what is the actual point of Summon Ghost/Demon?)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

AmewTheFox posted:

Personally, I liked the Circle skills. I hope they return if/when EO5 happens. A bit more balanced of course, and an associated damage skill that makes sense. (what is the actual point of Summon Ghost/Demon?)

Circles were in EO4, too, and had damage skills that made sense; they had Dismiss Blow and Dismiss Blast, which would cancel the current Circle and deal untyped damage to one/every enemy. I don't entirely understand how PQ regressed in terms of how to use them. I guess summoning ghosts/demons makes sense in the context of SMT, but still.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 22, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

PQ was pretty good, the last stratum did drag though. Laser Beam and most of the soundtrack gave me TWEWY vibes.

Laser Beam is amazing, but I still like Hoist better.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The only bad thing about PQ to me was some flanderization to some character ie. Akihito loving protean WAAAYYY to much, Rei's food love, and other such things.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
The crossovers in general amplify personality traits, which kind of works for the P3 cast for the most part since it gives them something to work with compared to their bland original versions, while it doesn't really do well with the P4 cast because they have exaggerated character traits and fandom in-jokes now turned up to 11. Also, there's no other part to Rei's personality besides making references to food and how she loves to eat, she's that terrible a character. She's easily the worst of the spinoff additions.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Forest Thief Pud posted:

The crossovers in general amplify personality traits, which kind of works for the P3 cast for the most part since it gives them something to work with compared to their bland original versions, while it doesn't really do well with the P4 cast because they have exaggerated character traits and fandom in-jokes now turned up to 11. Also, there's no other part to Rei's personality besides making references to food and how she loves to eat, she's that terrible a character. She's easily the worst of the spinoff additions.

*cough*backstory*coughcough*
And Zen's overprotectiveness gets old fast.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zen altogether gets old fast.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Until the 5th dungeon, at least.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
You mean the backstory that tries way too hard, especially compared to the other 3 spinoff character with tragic backstories that work with then because they know when to stop piling on the bullshit? The one that might as well be an afterthought since the game pretty much drops it by the end and also uses it to add to the Rei only thinks about food pile while having it act as hilariously bad justification for her character writing?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Honestly my biggest beef with PQ's story is that the Persona part does not matter in the slightest. I've said before that you could replace the main cast aside from Zen and Rei with normal Etrian Odyssey characters (ie. ones the player creates) and the plot would barely change at all. In fact it'd actually make more sense given Zeus.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The worst part about PQ was by far and away the festival dungeon
i am still reeling from how bad that was

i can forgive/enjoy weird skill/ability balance and exaggerated character traits but what were they thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

rannum posted:

The worst part about PQ was by far and away the festival dungeon
i am still reeling from how bad that was

i can forgive/enjoy weird skill/ability balance and exaggerated character traits but what were they thinking

They were thinking you may not notice that the fire's out.

• Locked thread