Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I had fun discovering those at sears when i parked a truck in a lift with a tine gap to the posts; they crunched into the lift post when i opened the door. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I like that Mazda's have become the benchmark for rust seemingly across Canada. If you see a similar year Mazda to your car rusting then you know you've got one, maybe two years tops before you need to start worrying.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

davebo posted:

Well my heart goes out to all you who have to deal with that. My 2002 Monte Carlo I had over 10 years and never once saw an automated car wash. I'd only wash it in my driveway so it'd get nothing between late fall and spring. By the time I got rid of it the undercarriage was a little worn but the paint was still great. Can't imagine paint bubbling so early.

Yeah it's pretty crazy looking at those photos - my first gen 3 lives outside and is generally neglected but doesn't have anything worse than some cosmetic rust around stone chips on the roof.

I'd hate to live somewhere where I had to worry about the whole car disintegrating.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Japanese are still absolutely terrible at understanding concepts like "complex folds of metal trap moisture," "don't put huge rubber strips with no drainage against body metal directly in the way of salt spray," and "rockers that are designed to trap moisture will rot out really loving quickly," even as they've approached complex subjects such as "don't vent moisture from the rear windows directly into the inside of the loving quarter panels" and "don't drill into galvanized and e-dipped metal with pot metal tek screws to install model badges."

Aren't most cars in the Japanese home market retired and exported before they get to more than 30k miles, anyway?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

8ender posted:

I like that Mazda's have become the benchmark for rust seemingly across Canada. If you see a similar year Mazda to your car rusting then you know you've got one, maybe two years tops before you need to start worrying.

IDK mazdas seem to rust far, far worse than any other car brand. My e46 has some *minor* rust spots and most mazdas from 2001 don't even exist anymore. My ex had a '98 civic that is still going strong with little rust. I would never own a mazda daily around here.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

Aren't most cars in the Japanese home market retired and exported before they get to more than 30k miles, anyway?

No.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Japan pretty mild anyway? Yeah but it seems that Mazdas and Nissans (until recently) rust really badly. Certain American cars rot pretty badly, the Germans seem to the best for body integrity but there are always exceptions.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 21, 2015

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I've never been so glad to live outside the rust belt. My '94 Chevy has a rustpatina spot on the roof, but despite dents and dings, all the panels and the frame are still solid.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Audi in particular used to rust-proof the poo poo out of their cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Frank Dillinger posted:

Audi in particular used to rust-proof the poo poo out of their cars.

Some of their cars. The really primo poo poo in the late 80s got multiple layers of full immersion galvanization dip plus cavity wax plus a gajillion layers of paint. I've seen some super mint daily-driver Audis; ones from that era usually get junked because CIS-E gotta CIS-E.

Unfortunately it doesn't extend to like the first-gen Quattro or the various VW abortion models they made, which rotted like crazy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The 5000s/100/200 seem to hold up very well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

Isn't Japan pretty mild anyway? Yeah but it seems that Mazdas and Nissans (until recently) rust really badly. Certain American cars rot pretty badly, the Germans seem to the best for body integrity but there are always exceptions.

Dodge still hasn't figured out weld through primer, it seems. There's an 09 ram in town with this kind of dodge rust.

The E39 seems nearly pretty solid, but i've got a little rust on the bottom of my doors, and a little chunk starting on the quarter pannel where the bumper clip rubs. underneath it looks brand new though.

Germany gets it. America gets it but thinks cars are disposable so doesn't put the money into it. Japan still hasn't figured it out.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

Germany gets it. America gets it but thinks cars are disposable so doesn't put the money into it. Japan still hasn't figured it out.

American built Mazdas and Subarus have no rust problems. It's some combination of Japan being a mild climate and the month of salt spray when the car is on the transport. Here's a thread about rust on 2014-15 Mazda3s, only the Japanese built ones are affected, the Mexican built ones are fine.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?79615-Gen3-Rust-already/page5

The new FIAT 126 will be perfect in every way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

American built Mazdas and Subarus have no rust problems. It's some combination of Japan being a mild climate and the month of salt spray when the car is on the transport. Here's a thread about rust on 2014-15 Mazda3s, only the Japanese built ones are affected, the Mexican built ones are fine.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?79615-Gen3-Rust-already/page5

The new FIAT 126 will be perfect in every way.

I'm gonna be 100% honest, I did not expect that. I figured they would be shipped enclosed, but looking at pictures of the Cougar Ace disaster most of the low-margin cars appear to be shipped aboveground on the RORO.

Judging from the thread sounds like it might also be bad design on the sedans, because Mazda still doesn't understand the concept of "don't let salt water pool on partially exposed spot welds." Guessing there might be a silent recall for Mazda dealers to pump that area full of fluid film, which Canadian Mazda dealers won't do and then bill Mazda corporate for their time.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 21, 2015

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I would not call all of Japan mild weatherwise. The northern parts have quite cold weather and plenty of snow. Tokyo is probably similar to the US mid Atlantic region. My Tacoma still has rust forming above the wheel wells at 16 years and ~240k miles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I would not call all of Japan mild weatherwise. The northern parts have quite cold weather and plenty of snow. Tokyo is probably similar to the US mid Atlantic region. My Tacoma still has rust forming above the wheel wells at 16 years and ~240k miles.
Do they use the same salt? Like CO has a poo poo ton of weather but doesn't get as much rust.
Toyota, rusty truck frames excepted, seem to do ok. There were a lot of pretty good condition 92-96 camrys (which were made in ky) running around Minnesota when I moved out in 09.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I had an 8 year old Protege in Winnipeg that was completely hosed from rust. They stopped using salt and moved to sand a few years ago, but it really doesn't seem to make much difference. Snow and ice build up everywhere and water pools in places it has no business being. Had to replace the rear suspension stuff, every bolt had to be cut off. The lift points crumpled under load and rear fenders were mostly held together by paint. Everything rusts, no matter what. 90s pickups rust like nobody's business right under the radiatior, and good luck trying to ever find a rust free tailgate. Everybody's rockers are completely hosed. The worst part is all the really fun 80s/90s cars never stood a chance and long ago rusted into nothing. Really sucks not being able to get an old 323 or Hilux or VW anything.

They're apparently looking into using beet sugar on the roads instead of salt, though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I've never seen body rust like that example posted on a Japanese imported car.

They do get under body rust but curiously this is usually on Nissans rather than Mazdas (the March/Micra and Tiida/Versa being particularly bad).

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If it were just wetness that is the problem for rust then we'd be hosed in the PNW, but rusted out cars are extremely rare around here. There are SO many 15-20+ year old cars around that are still in one piece and daily driven. You could throw a rock blindfolded and chances are you'd hit a mid-90s Subaru, Volvo, or generic Japanese economy car.

Even going up to the mountains and ski resorts where there is snow (but still no salt) you see lots of old beaters but still very little rust. I've bought several 15 year old used cars and rust is almost a non-fear. If you see a rusted out car it's almost certainly because the car came from a salt-the-roads state, or the car was in an accident.

It's definitely the salt that kills cars.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 21, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sometimes I worry about my Protege because the trunk lip is a little swiss-cheesed around the top (which I really need to fill and re-paint) and there's a couple paint chips with surface rust on the exposed metal.

Then I see you salt-belt people with your stories and I feel better.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Guinness posted:

If it were just wetness that is the problem for rust then we'd be hosed in the PNW, but rusted out cars are extremely rare around here. There are SO many 15-20+ year old cars around that are still in one piece and daily driven. You could throw a rock blindfolded and chances are you'd hit a mid-90s Subaru, Volvo, or generic Japanese economy car.

Even going up to the mountains and ski resorts where there is snow (but still no salt) you see lots of old beaters but still very little rust. I've bought several 15 year old used cars and rust is almost a non-fear. If you see a rusted out car it's almost certainly because the car came from a salt-the-roads state, or the car was in an accident.

My 88 Toyota pickup has a quarter sized rust bubble on the passenger side bed near a seam. It has been there about 8 years. Probably should fix that some day. PNW btw.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

I've never seen body rust like that example posted on a Japanese imported car.

They do get under body rust but curiously this is usually on Nissans rather than Mazdas (the March/Micra and Tiida/Versa being particularly bad).

Add to that elgrand and especially presage, I've seen rear subframes ripped out of the body on those.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Guinness posted:

Yeah, little rust in the PNW. Moss on the other hand...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Give me a mossy car over a rusty one any day.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Moss is just patina in WA

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Meydey posted:

Moss is just patina in WA

Car fuzz. :3:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nobody ever broke a bolt head or disintegrated their subframe from moss.

Also, parking your car in a garage basically eliminates crap like moss. Not so much for salt rust.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 22, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Some hip desert kid car culture starts collecting old subarus and deliberately misting their cars with water and moss spores and keeping them under tarps to develop that PNW patina and people in the Northwest are like wtf why would you deliberately do that.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
:cripes:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm guessing it's an old dodge with left hand thread on one side and right hand thread on the other?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cragar SS wheels were/are used on everything from old Mustangs to new Challengers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The reason why a lot of 20+ year old Japanese cars up for export don't have rust underneath is because Japan doesn't use salt on their roads...

...in some areas. If you're buying a car from way up North then it'll probably have some form of rust, Hokkaido uses salt, Nagano uses it which apparently attracts deer onto the roads, they just don't use a fuckton of it like other places around the world do. The cities use some chemical composition which is how they keep places from grinding to a complete halt, other places use grit without salt so buying an import is somewhat of a lottery depending on where the car's come from.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
There's no snow here at all, and no salt on the roads, but here in west australia we do all live near the coast, and things rust badly just from that. I used to be in HVAC and heaps of air cons would rust just because they are near the sea shore, 5+ km inland, no rust. Rust is really bad on wall mounting brackets, the steel outdoor unit or compressor, and even the printed circuit boards and components.
I used to drive my mazda/ford courier four wheeling on the beach and it never got rust strangely enough. And holy poo poo, ford of australia used to be useless in the and rust out even though we don't have snow and salt on the roads. It wasn't until they formed a partnership with mazda that ford au got better at paint jobs and rust prevention, so it's funny to read that mazda over there are still the worst at rusting out.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 23, 2015

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
Up in Quebec they salt the poo poo out of the roads too, but I've never had any problems on my civics. Never bothered with rustproofing, never really had any appear. I was told that this is because it was street parked all its life. Apparently placing your car in the garage accelerates the rusting reaction because of the higher temperatures?

Does this make any sense?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Un chien andalou posted:

Up in Quebec they salt the poo poo out of the roads too, but I've never had any problems on my civics. Never bothered with rustproofing, never really had any appear. I was told that this is because it was street parked all its life. Apparently placing your car in the garage accelerates the rusting reaction because of the higher temperatures?

Does this make any sense?

Sort of, but not for the reasons you stated. The "recipe" for rust is water moisture and oxygen. Salt (specifically the chloride) accelerates it.

So if you drag a snow covered car into a garage and all that snow melts off, you got a super damp environment for your car to chill in. Out on the curb it's sitting in freezing dry air and never really gets wet.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Guinness posted:

not surprising for the Volvos, since they've hot-dip galvanized their bodies since the 80s.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

xzzy posted:

Sort of, but not for the reasons you stated. The "recipe" for rust is water moisture and oxygen. Salt (specifically the chloride) accelerates it.

So if you drag a snow covered car into a garage and all that snow melts off, you got a super damp environment for your car to chill in. Out on the curb it's sitting in freezing dry air and never really gets wet.

So throw a Mini-split in the garage and you're good to go? :v:
As someone who lives in a relatively rust free area (Florida) has anyone designed a garage door activated cleaning system? Seems like with a solenoid and and some piping you could come up with a sprayer system to hose off the bottom/sides of the car as you pulled in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or giant garbage bags with DO NOT EAT printed on them and filled with silica gel.

A garage heater might work good too, they're super common in the great white north and are loving awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

este posted:

This prompted to me to ask my wife what kind of cutter machine she bought a few years back, and long story short I can totally start making my own terrible vinyl stickers!

Maybe I'll find the 'illest' cursive font and cut out a sticker that says 'diseased'

Best one I've seen so far is "silliest" in the same font.

Second would be "Sortaflush" in the Hellaflush font.

edit: and I'm totally getting one of those cheap cutters, just for this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Those ones on amazon aren't cheap.
I can cut 24" vinyl for not much more than that, just get one of these.
http://www.uscutter.com/Vinyl-Cutter-Starter-Kit

Plus you get all kinds of vinyl and other stuff you need to start making offensive stickers.