Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Synopsis for next week:

Trapped in a world unlike any other he has seen, the Doctor faces the greatest challenge of his many lives. One final test. And he must face it alone. Pursued by the fearsome creature known only as the Veil, he must attempt the impossible. If he makes it through, Gallifrey is waiting...

I'm The Veilyard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anastazius
May 17, 2009
Have we seen Rigsy before? I really can't remember.. I'd just figured he was a new character who Clara knew off-screen.

Episode was fantastic, easily my favourite of this series so far.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anastazius posted:

Have we seen Rigsy before? I really can't remember.. I'd just figured he was a new character who Clara knew off-screen.

Last season, he was in Flat Stanley's Revenge

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

anastazius posted:

He was in Flatline, from the last series.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Jovain Wade for next companion. :colbert:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Valeyard posted:

Synopsis for next week:

Another really really good one, I think, but will hinge on the monster.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wrote a whole post complaining about everything but then deleted it because Eurgh. But know that I wrote it and it was angry.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked today's episode a lot, though I thought it was a little bit slow to start. I enjoyed Diagon Alley.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I was wondering about the slow start
Until I realized this was a stealth threeparter

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that's that I suppose. A companion leaving in Doctor Who has finally surprised me. If they try to take this one back I will be so mad.

Also the Doctor should take revenge, but of the most petty kind. Stealing Ashildr's teaspoons, covering all her stuff in tin foil, plaguing her life with incidental music, and so on.

e: and a dog, he needs to get a dog. A real one, not K-9

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
make rigsy and k9 the doctors next companions imo

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoyed Diagon Alley.

Neverwho.

The first fifteen minutes of this week's episode sponsored by Visit Cardiff.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was good.
I still find it odd that the Doctor reverted to his costume from last season and all of the "Clara is getting reckless" stuff which they have been referencing all season - maybe that will be resolved next week or if that was all just leading up to her tattoo transference choice.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Murderion posted:

Neverwho.

The first fifteen minutes of this week's episode sponsored by Visit Cardiff.

Nah, definitely London, pal.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

echoplex posted:

Nah, definitely London, pal.

How do we know it's not your handiwork. Crafty set designers. Eh. Eh? :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haha! So it was!

Additionally, I wish Capaldi wore his Skinhead Pertwee suit more often rather than the hoodie. I don't mind the hoodie but didn't realise how much more I liked his originally outfit until I saw it again. Still, I guess it's a pretty expensive costume to keep up.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha! So it was!

Additionally, I wish Capaldi wore his Skinhead Pertwee suit more often rather than the hoodie. I don't mind the hoodie but didn't realise how much more I liked his originally outfit until I saw it again. Still, I guess it's a pretty expensive costume to keep up.

It isn't the exact same outfit I noticed. Its some sort of red velvet thing. Still looks good though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
True - I think this one was much closer to Pertwee's costumes, though I feel it's the same general idea.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

"Bring the small human. No, wait, I'll just keep getting distracted." :allears:

Also, the baby's there purely as a roadblock to Rigsy being the next companion. Alas.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Anyways, R.I.P Clara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RbfenyIEG8

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
This is the first time I'm genuinely excited for part 2 :)
And scary Peter capaldi can get really scary. I love Matt smith but his boastfulness always seemed undercut or not effective enough (although I believe that was part of the point the doctor is fallible and all that. But Peter capaldi can real make you feel that whomever he's pissed at is royally screwed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Face the Raven gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HappyCamperGL posted:

She's finally dead. Good.

I read this before watching and thought, "He's probably talking about Clara but it might just be the Master, wouldn't that be great." Then as soon as she showed up I was sure it was going to be Ashildr. I'm disappointed that it was Clara rather than either of those two though I had assumed she was gone at the end of this season. I wonder if they are purposely making Ashildr as unlikable as they are because man she is just an awful recurring character. If its being done purposely then good on them as there will surely be a payoff but if not then nuts.

just_a_guy posted:

And scary Peter capaldi can get really scary. I love Matt smith but his boastfulness always seemed undercut or not effective enough (although I believe that was part of the point the doctor is fallible and all that. But Peter capaldi can real make you feel that whomever he's pissed at is royally screwed

Any of this "I'm THE DOCTOR so you better be scared of me" stuff always comes off as dumb to me. We've seen enough of him to know that that is an idle threat and yet the ridiculous "cool stuff is happening music" is blaring in the background making it sound like he's just did the most amazing thing in the world. That same track played when he decided to help Rigsy too and it didn't work there either.

And furthermore, why did he hand over that will? Ashildr had no physical power over him (all she could do was teleport him, which she had assured him that she would be doing anyway and indeed went right on to do after Clara died,) and keeping the thing from her would have if anything made her reluctant to send him off.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

Face the gifs

Good stuff as always. This really is the best way for Clara to go out, being reckless and screwing herself over.

If I had to guess as to how Clara ends up with a happier ending then dead on a street, I think it'll have to do with those streetlamps projecting what you expect to see, and maybe the Doctor figures out a way to save her and amps up the streetlamps to project a full illusion. Given the show, I highly doubt that detail was provided without it being meaningful. I actually think that'd be a pretty fun regeneration episode, with the Doctor taking the death for Clara and regenerating. Then you either have Clara stepping away on her own in shock from what she forced him to do, or she sticks around and we basically get a full emo Doctor Who for awhile. No way that's how it goes down because we've gotta be getting more Capaldi though. The non-regeneration option would be a far-future Lady Me wanting to make amends and making the Doctor go back so she can take it instead. Basically it's a Steins;Gate situation where the person in the present has to see a death, but the time traveler has to fake it while saving who they want to save.

Maybe the Doctor does go on most of the adventures this season with Clara after he's seen her death (though we know that at least the Viking one happened before her death) as a super-depressing way to spend more time with her, though I think that's more likely to stay just a wacky fan theory. It's hard to think of a funner way to build to the season finale than a crazy solo adventure with a grief-stricken Doctor, followed by past Clara walking into the Tardis and then TO BE CONTINUED.

Overall a drat fine episode, if Capaldi was just allowed to do a full Zygon Inversion level Doctor speech to Lady Me then it would've been utterly perfect.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i hope the doctor goes full tilt and kills someone

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

NowonSA posted:

Good stuff as always. This really is the best way for Clara to go out, being reckless and screwing herself over.

If I had to guess as to how Clara ends up with a happier ending then dead on a street, I think it'll have to do with those streetlamps projecting what you expect to see, and maybe the Doctor figures out a way to save her and amps up the streetlamps to project a full illusion. Given the show, I highly doubt that detail was provided without it being meaningful. I actually think that'd be a pretty fun regeneration episode, with the Doctor taking the death for Clara and regenerating. Then you either have Clara stepping away on her own in shock from what she forced him to do, or she sticks around and we basically get a full emo Doctor Who for awhile. No way that's how it goes down because we've gotta be getting more Capaldi though. The non-regeneration option would be a far-future Lady Me wanting to make amends and making the Doctor go back so she can take it instead. Basically it's a Steins;Gate situation where the person in the present has to see a death, but the time traveler has to fake it while saving who they want to save.

Maybe the Doctor does go on most of the adventures this season with Clara after he's seen her death (though we know that at least the Viking one happened before her death) as a super-depressing way to spend more time with her, though I think that's more likely to stay just a wacky fan theory. It's hard to think of a funner way to build to the season finale than a crazy solo adventure with a grief-stricken Doctor, followed by past Clara walking into the Tardis and then TO BE CONTINUED.

Overall a drat fine episode, if Capaldi was just allowed to do a full Zygon Inversion level Doctor speech to Lady Me then it would've been utterly perfect.

"Steins:Gate"?? Please, we call that Saving Crono.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
"Lady Me's there, also she's being a jerk because she thinks she knows best" is arguably an interesting inversion of the Doctor, but mainly just feels a direct rerun of her appearance last time, minus what made that interesting.
The "No Backsies" rule kind of came out of nowhere - it felt like the kind of thing where in another episode Clara would have been saved and lived despite her recklessness. It's a fine line between "companion rolls the dice, this time doesn't get away with it" and "well that escalated quickly" so that's not so bad.

In general pretty good, I'd have preferred it had Lady Me not been in it to be honest.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

DoctorWhat posted:

"Steins:Gate"?? Please, we call that Saving Crono.

Yeah, there's certainly a fair number of examples, it wouldn't even be the first time the Doctor's done it. That's basically how the Doctor gets around River "killing" him after all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Any of this "I'm THE DOCTOR so you better be scared of me" stuff always comes off as dumb to me. We've seen enough of him to know that that is an idle threat and yet the ridiculous "cool stuff is happening music" is blaring in the background making it sound like he's just did the most amazing thing in the world. That same track played when he decided to help Rigsy too and it didn't work there either.

I actually liked this version more than most. There's precedent for the Doctor doing apparently very nasty stuff when he's not considering himself to be the Doctor, so threatening Me with "The Doctor's not here!" worked for me.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, there's certainly a fair number of examples, it wouldn't even be the first time the Doctor's done it. That's basically how the Doctor gets around River "killing" him after all.

He also did it in the underwater two-parter this year, although in that case most of the deaths stood. I always felt that sort of sleight of hand should be the Eleventh Doctor's 'thing', though. Actual magician illusionry .

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Once it was brought up, I'm quite surprised the stasis pod didn't come up in the quandary with Clara. Maybe it wouldn't help, but it seemed like such a TV episode solution.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I dunno, that would feel cheap to me too, that raven's supposed to be able to chase you across time and space (which is pretty dumb but I guess with Dr. Who there's always got to be an excuse to not just Tardis away from everything), surely some little stasis chamber wouldn't have a shot.

Ultimately if Clara died in this episode its because the producers wanted her dead and it was going to happen one way or another be it plot related or her tripping over her own feet and falling down a flight of stairs.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The idea would've been to put her in stasis before the counter hit zero, so the raven wouldn't launch yet. But don't get me wrong, I'm glad they didn't do that, it just seemed like the "haha we win!" thing to do.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Well that actually felt like a Doctor Who episode again.

An utterly boring episode, but at least more Doctor Who than anything else this season so far.

Let's just hope the Doctor goes on a rampage instead of another half season of Moping Capaldi.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Greyhawk posted:

An utterly boring episode, but at least more Doctor Who than anything else this season so far.

Your definition of Doctor Who neither includes Bog Standard Typical Doctor Who story (Under the Lake) or anything a bit less traditional. So what is it?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Your definition of Doctor Who neither includes Bog Standard Typical Doctor Who story (Under the Lake) or anything a bit less traditional. So what is it?

Mostly "a mad man with a box", both sorely missing from this season so far imo. Don't get me wrong: Capaldi is awesome when goes "intense", but unfortunately they've not given him much opportunity yet. He's mostly been staring into the camera confused and forlorn this season apart from two or three scenes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Hey, guys, look what I found an in print copy of!

It came with this stack of free books...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Wonderful last 10 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chris James 2 posted:

Wonderful last 10 minutes

Yep that's how you do a goodbye.

I just hope they don't cheapen it with a revival by the finale.

• Locked thread