Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Ordered almost AU$200 of various parts, tools, and lube/cleaner for the postie that I bought recently, and still haven't gotten to the more expensive stuff yet (tyres, sprocket/chain) :suicide: Gonna make sure this thing is on the right track before I spend more than the bare minimum on consumables, in case I get to something I can't fix/afford to have fixed, and wind up having to cut my losses. Am slowly realising from little things that it's been owned by a string of neglectful PO's, not just the last one.

This morning I went down with the socket set to check bolt head sizes, to give me an idea of what size spanners I'll want in the roadside toolkit I'm putting together. Darndest thing, I couldn't get anything to fit the axel nut on the left side...

...oh, that's why I can't get a socket to fit properly around it, head is totally chewed up (that's the "good' side of the nut). Checked the other side of the bike and of course the split/cotter pin is missing.

You can't tell too well from the picture, but the hole that it threads through is blocked by one of those teeth, whatever idiot was putting it back on last time probably noticed it at the end and figured :effort:

Haven't finalised my parts order from the guy with spares yet, hopefully he's got a spare axel nut. When I was cleaning the rims up the other day I found some scratches/gouges in them from someone being careless with tyre levers. However, the tyre hails from The Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Ninety Six (:cry:), and the PO was a uni student on his P's, so it probably goes back at least another owner. I suppose he could have just changed out a flat tube and refitted the old tyre, but my hunch is otherwise.

Good news: pretty sure I can salvage the busted up turn indicator. Disassembled:

The main problem is the little metal L-bracket has come loose from rest of the stalk, although that cracked up rubber stuff is doing no favours for the whole thing's integrity. I mixed up some JB Weld and used a splinter off one of the chopsticks I'd used as a temporary splint for it to get down into the cracks. Rubber band to hold it tight length-wise:

Did the same for the other side, but couldn't find any other single rubber bands that wouldn't snap (the ones I found were quite old and brittle), so used several at once. Daubed most of the excess JB Weld off the surface, then wrapped in alu foil and tightened down the adjustable spanner as much as I could (no proper clamps in the house, foil is to keep the spanner clear of epoxy). I'm doing this in two stages so I can target both areas, once the exterior finishes curing I'll use the same stuff to secure the L-bracket to the body of what is hopefully a more intact stalk, and with any luck should be good to go.

I only just noticed your user name, holy poo poo. Very cultured.

Also you can get those chain tensioners brand new still, they're common to loads of hondas and cost like ten bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Slavvy posted:

I only just noticed your user name, holy poo poo. Very cultured.

Also you can get those chain tensioners brand new still, they're common to loads of hondas and cost like ten bucks.

I've got some mates coming to visit at the end of the month, named our group chat on FB "Interesting Times Gang" but they don't get it :negative:

Ah, are you talking about the things in the back for tightening the chain? (Got confused with the KLR doohickey for a second) They seem OK at first glance, from my initial casual inspection I thought the actual axel bolt head itself was a nut :downs: Fortunately the guy I was ordering parts from gave me a ring with the what ups yesterday, added a new axel bolt to my list of stuff. Pretty chuffed he had a choke lever + spring to sell me too, I was gonna flip a table if I had to order a whole new carbie just to get 'em.

Nobody's selling a postie toolkit on eBay at present, I was trying other ones but I guess the 18mm I need for the spark plug is a special snowflake size of tube spanner. I can order one from China for $3 and wait a month, or pay $18 for one from :australia: Parts guy suggested a place that fixes lawnmowers as a lot of them use it, may try that.

Finished up part 2 of my JB Weld job on the indicator, thing is rock solid now. Bolted it back on and reconnected it, still works fine (and no drooping!).

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 11, 2015

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Enjoy this amazing picture I have taken.

It's back together. Even ran (@ 3k rpm) for a couple minutes!

Now we wait for the 2 BROZZZZ exhaust and I can start hating carbed life.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mcqueen posted:

Enjoy this amazing picture I have taken.

It's back together. Even ran (@ 3k rpm) for a couple minutes!

Now we wait for the 2 BROZZZZ exhaust and I can start hating carbed life.

I will get that out today, sorry :(

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My starter died. I can't ride to work. I now own two bikes that don't run. I need a van...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Parts arrived, heroic fixed that bastard back to live.

the DRZ lives to break another day!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

El Jebus posted:

My starter died. I can't ride to work. I now own two bikes that don't run. I need a van...

Push start?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Replacement handlebars arrived today, but I'm putting the Bandit into storage tomorrow, so that'll have to wait til Spring.

Hopefully I'll have time to hit one of the salvage places tomorrow to see about replacement carbs for the Honda, since I couldn't get my rear end out of the neighbourhood farther than the laundromat on Wednesday.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 14, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I put my hose sprayer attachment to "Jet" and powerwashed the pollen/dust off of it.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New sprockets, replaced like 4 seals in the front sprocket area. New clutch push rod, new (to me) clutch slave cylinder. Topped off the oil. Still need to flush the clutch fluid and install the new chain. Need to replace a nut on the rear sprocket too. Its threaded on tight for now but its chewed all to hell. Surprisingly the rear sprocket threads + nuts on my cbr500r are bigger than the Vstrom, so I couldn't snag one from there for now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dropped the Bandit off for its winter nap.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Took it to someone who actually knows what the gently caress they're doing. Work's not till Thursday, hopefully the brakes just need a good clean and fluid change rather than a total rebuild :ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Solved an annoying and potentially dangerous problem with the throttle on the Hawk that has been bugging me for a couple of weeks. TL;DR: there was juuuust enough slop in the throttle tube side-to-side motion for the pull-cable to rarely get caught in a gap and add slack to the system, requiring you to pin the throttle briefly to tighten it up again. I made some little gaskets out of thin plastic to prevent the gap from opening, and the problem is gone.

Always fighting against entropy, that's what owning motorcycles is about

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New chain on, new shiny nuts on the rear sprocket, and new clutch fluid. Need oooonneee more dang bolt and it should be operational. Would do it tonight, but its dark and I wanna play fallout :v

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Completely misread the markings on a set of carbs at the junkyard yesterday and spent a bit of this afternoon fitting them on the Honda, to no great effect :haw: . So back to square one and today was likely the last warm weekend day for the next while. Oh well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Put the engine back in, aiming for a rideable bike by the end of the weekend :toot:

Not so good: the completely flogged, barely-holding-on gear linkage balljoint things that I didn't spot when I was taking it apart so I didn't get to save on shipping by bundling it in with my other crapload of stuff from Korea. Oh well.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Got around to working on the "new" Hawk GT. Replaced the fuel filter, fixed the sticky throttle, and got it running. It would run before, but would stall out with throttle input. Clogged jets, easy fix. Just in time for winter! :negative:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's slow at work, so I installed useless fairing mounted mirrors and some Quadboss muffs.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Finished fixing my Vstrom last night, so today I got to ride it!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rim taaappeeeee

I need to move the kick lever back a notch, it looks retarded

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
And after all that effort, the handlebar muffs really don't do a whole lot. Time to look for some other alternatives.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They saved my hands during 15 degrees f Idaho winters. Maybe they're a bad brand or installed wrong? I used Hippo Hands, iirc. Actually had sweaty hands most if the winter, and that was without heated gear or grips.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Replaced the horrible stock screen with a Zero Gravity Marc-1 today:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
New shoes, chain and sprocket set. Also bought some muffs, so I'm 100% ready for winter to start.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KARMA! posted:

New shoes, chain and sprocket set. Also bought some muffs, so I'm 100% ready for winter to start.

Do you ride through winter? No snow or ice? We had the first black ice morning today, glad the bike is parked.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
If it gets near freezing it's only for a few days, and winter has been unusually warm so far. Almost any day so far only requires a summer jacket and some layers.

Winters here usually means a poo poo ton of wind and sideways rain, which is strangely colder than when the mercury drops below freezing and the weather chills down (Heh). Sadly, this rarely happens.

If snow or black ice happens, there's always public transport.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KARMA! posted:

If snow or black ice happens, there's always public transport.

As long as you see it before you need emergency transport!

This has been a black ice public service announcement.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, black ice is no joke. We don't get it here very often because of how our weather works, but when it does, everyone loses their poo poo and it looks like one of those Youtube videos where peoples' cars are sliding downhill and there's some jagoff on a balcony just laughing like a hyena.

We're looking at sub-freezing temps starting next week, which means it'll stop raining and dry right up. Which is awesome for riding!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
-expertly tucked away a stock clutch able in the bike, routed and everything You can't tell it's there but, if my clutch cable snaps again, I'll be able to get going again with only a leatherman and 5 mintues. I even chose high viz orange zip ties for the parts under the side fairings that need to be snipped in the repair, so I can identify them easily while stressed out.

-adjusted the long overdue chain. Then cleaned and lubed

-Replaced clutch lever to remove rattle. Would have replaced the whole assembly, but the barend screw is frozen

-topped up all fluids

QUESTION: My chain is tight, but still just barely in spec. It *looks* taut, but I can get 1inch total of play if i push both ways. I'm hoping the noises I heard from it were just because there was no lube on the chain, and will go away now that it's relubed.

Feels good to have a bike that's all worked over and ready to go.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Found out that the steering head bearing kit I bought off ebay was mispacked so I have two lower bearings and no upper bearings, thus loving my weekend plan of having a rideable bike by tomorrow afternoon. gently caress you allballs :smith:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Bolted on a Seahorse SE630 hard case on the tail of the bike. Don't always have my side cases on and I am not a fan of the Givi top case. Haven't used it much yet, but it did carry my carne asada fries without issue :v

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Made a new key for the CL350.

The guy who sells old-stock Honda keys online didn't have any of mine, and obviously you can't really get blanks for a 45-year-old motorcycle, but the one key I have is kind of bent so it doesn't sit perfectly straight in the lock, and with the metal fatigue I don't want to worry about breaking it (or just losing it).

So I measured the existing one, built a SolidWorks model, CNC-milled a new blank out of brass stock, and filed the teeth into shape. Works perfectly.

Machining was a bit of a mess because the only endmills I had that were small enough weren't really ideal for brass. Some filing and fine work with a jeweler's saw cleaned it up nicely, though. The funny camouflage finish is the remnants of the superglue that I had holding the stock to the machine bed. No pics of the finished model because then you guys might duplicate the key and come steal my bike :v:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 21, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

My sportster was no fun to push start. Took the starter apart, seriously gross. Burnt as gently caress, too. Replaced with a drag specialties and it starts up no problem now!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

QUESTION: My chain is tight, but still just barely in spec. It *looks* taut, but I can get 1inch total of play if i push both ways. I'm hoping the noises I heard from it were just because there was no lube on the chain, and will go away now that it's relubed.

a) that wasn't a question
b) check your manual, but one inch total play is usually about right.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Wow, nice! Do you have that mill at home?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

The guy who sells old-stock Honda keys online didn't have any of mine, and obviously you can't really get blanks for a 45-year-old motorcycle, but the one key I have is kind of bent so it doesn't sit perfectly straight in the lock, and with the metal fatigue I don't want to worry about breaking it (or just losing it).

So I measured the existing one, built a SolidWorks model, CNC-milled a new blank out of brass stock, and filed the teeth into shape. Works perfectly.

Machining was a bit of a mess because the only endmills I had that were small enough weren't really ideal for brass. Some filing and fine work with a jeweler's saw cleaned it up nicely, though. The funny camouflage finish is the remnants of the superglue that I had holding the stock to the machine bed. No pics of the finished model because then you guys might duplicate the key and come steal my bike :v:

Ahh, so glad you're posting your projects again :)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow sagebrush. The idea of making my own key from the ground up seems like a huge task. Great work. Even better that you ended up with a working key! Bespokey, if you will.

Renaissance Robot posted:

a) that wasn't a question
b) check your manual, but one inch total play is usually about right.

a) I stand corrected
b) Thank you! Oddly enough, the youtube vids/ and forums said the same ".8-1.2 inches" but spec looks to be 1.4-1.6 inches. I'm going to run out today and loosen it up just to be sure.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

That's awesome, but why not just hook up your ignition cylinder electronics to a switch and then hide the switch while leaving the ignition cylinder on? Not like it's really going to make your bike more stealable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The ignition switch works fine (well, now it does anyway, I had to repair that too a couple of weeks ago). I just wanted another key, because having only one copy of any key bugs me.

Today I finished the key properly -- sanded it all down to 2000 grit and buffed the hell out of it, until a mirror shine. It's like a little jewel. I feel like I need a velvet pouch or something.

Also rebuilt the carbs again because eh needed doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Snapped a bolt off that is made of the finest Italian cheese in my swing arm while installing new spools. Easyout isn't' working. I guess I'll drill and tap for 8mm spools. :argh: