Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That seems more like an Apple thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

only microsoft astroturfs here

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Ometeotl posted:

I hope Sony pays you to be this obnoxious.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

I said come in! posted:

Yep, I actually own a Bone now, and the UI update last week is terrible. Everyone who actually has a Bone says its garbage. Even the most hardcore Bone apologists hate it.

I'd like to know what you guys are smoking; the new UI is way nicer than the old poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

goferchan posted:

I think all-digital is an inevitability but it's not gonna happen that soon. Maybe next-gen but even then I'd be sort of surprised. If you're talking about "reducing your potential audience" (sales) from a game developer/publisher's perspective, though, every time someone goes to GameStop to buy a game and ends up grabbing a used copy because it's $55 instead of $60 (and if a used copy exists the sales clerk will alert you to this fact and try to sell it to you instead) it means they lost a sale. That's not insignificant and it's absolutely in their best interest to prevent that.

I still firmly believe that used sales contribute heavily to the sales of new games. I don't have any data, but I know being able to trade games in affects how many I buy new a lot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I said come in! posted:

Yep, I actually own a Bone now, and the UI update last week is terrible. Everyone who actually has a Bone says its garbage. Even the most hardcore Bone apologists hate it.
What's wrong with it? I don't own a Bone but I've seen videos of the new UI and it looks way nicer and more games-focused than the piece of poo poo that was the previous UI.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What's wrong with it? I don't own a Bone but I've seen videos of the new UI and it looks way nicer and more games-focused than the piece of poo poo that was the previous UI.

It's slower and broke a lot of stuff.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I still firmly believe that used sales contribute heavily to the sales of new games. I don't have any data, but I know being able to trade games in affects how many I buy new a lot.

Well, when you consider that Gamestop makes so much money off of used games, and publishers make so many of their sales from Gamestop, I think you can make the argument that used games still contribute in a roundabout way to the health of the industry, even if EA specifically doesn't make money from you buying a used copy of Battlefront. I'd be really curious to see the breakdown of new sales at Gamestop/physical stores vs Best Buy/Target vs Amazon.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

goferchan posted:

That's not insignificant and it's absolutely in their best interest to prevent that.

They've given up on the "oh no used games are killing sales" thing. Notice how online passes are now gone.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The new XBox is good. Bone on.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
how's battlefront

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

They've given up on the "oh no used games are killing sales" thing. Notice how online passes are now gone.

Man, that was crazy. I've never heard of companies in any other entertainment medium whine so much about the very idea of people buying used product.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

how's battlefront

Mediocre. Beta was pretty much a perfect demo.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Online passes were retired once DLC started taking off, and then season passes became the SOP for making money off of used games

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I like how there's a $30 "season pass" for Fallout 4 and all they have said about it is that it will start next year and who knows what the content will actually be. If you pay money for that right now, seek help. That's even more shameless than throwing down $5 on a preorder.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

I like how there's a $30 "season pass" for Fallout 4 and all they have said about it is that it will start next year and who knows what the content will actually be. If you pay money for that right now, seek help. That's even more shameless than throwing down $5 on a preorder.
I've only bought one or two season passes and it was based on a favorable review of the first piece of DLC. Are there people who do otherwise?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

noirstronaut posted:

how's battlefront

a cop posted:

Mediocre. Beta was pretty much a perfect demo.
A ton of people are saying it's mediocre but I think it's super fun :shobon: Then again, I'm a massive Star Wars fan and I've been waiting years for another polished Star Wars FPS/ship combat game. This is exactly that crossed with Battlefield.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I've never been "into" Star Wars. I've never hated it, but people who like it, love it, and I just kinda am okay with it.

Also, what's a good fighting game to get? Should I just get Ultra Street Fighter IV? I'm getting a lil fight stick or whatever the hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Battlefront is fun for a little while but it's way way way too loving shallow. Walker Assault is the closest it has to a fully-formed mode and even that gets boring quickly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Saagonsa posted:

That's not even close to a fair comparison. A lot of places, especially rural areas, straight up don't have an option that doesn't have bandwidth limits.

Checking in from Alaska, and up until a year ago I couldn't get a plan that didn't have one of those "go over your limit and we charge you an arm and a leg" bandwidth limits on it. Now I can at least get a "go over the limit and we throttle your speed" plan, but there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth here.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

I've never been "into" Star Wars. I've never hated it, but people who like it, love it, and I just kinda am okay with it.

Also, what's a good fighting game to get? Should I just get Ultra Street Fighter IV? I'm getting a lil fight stick or whatever the hell.

Ultra or Xrd. SFV comes out in Feb and is going to be simpler than Ultra, but each beta has made it worse and more unfun somehow. Ultra can be daunting if you're just picking it up. There's a shitload of characters and tech to learn. I'd probably pick up Xrd now since IMO it's more fun and has less poo poo (matchup knowledge, option selects, etc) to learn overall, but online is filled with loving monsters that can own your poo poo.

ImpAtom posted:

Battlefront is fun for a little while but it's way way way too loving shallow. Walker Assault is the closest it has to a fully-formed mode and even that gets boring quickly.

This is my feeling on it. If I had paid $30 or so for it Id be happy, but no way is it worth $60 right now.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Static Rook posted:

This is my feeling on it. If I had paid $30 or so for it Id be happy, but no way is it worth $60 right now.

They locked literally a half of the planned content behind a season pass, which costs as much as the base game.

It's a pity. I wasn't blown away by the beta, but I probably would've bought it if they had been less lovely about their DLC plan. The game looks real nice and felt pretty good too.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've only bought one or two season passes and it was based on a favorable review of the first piece of DLC. Are there people who do otherwise?

Fallout 4 season pass was the fourth highest selling thing in Steam when I checked as the game was launching.

Yes, there are.

Follow That Fish! fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 22, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

Online passes were retired once DLC started taking off, and then season passes became the SOP for making money off of used games

MGS5 came with an online pass for it's garbage multiplayer.

It was crazy when games people only play for MP like battlefield were requiring them though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 22, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I like Battlefront because I can play it for 30 minutes after work and have fun and not feel like I am getting my rear end kicked by poopsockers who have played all day every day since release and have a huge weapons/armor advantage. In comparison, Fallout wrecked my entire week sleep-wise because even playing one mission was too much time commitment between my 12 hour shifts. I wouldn't call myself a big Star Wars fan, liked the older ones but that's it.

It definitely needs more maps though. If the season pass was free it would justify the full price more.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Follow That Fish! posted:

They locked literally a half of the planned content behind a season pass, which costs as much as the base game.

Battlefront is the poster child for "mediocre game skating off big IP" which would be fine if they weren't asking for so much money upfront for so little. It's shallowness reminds me of Titanfall but even Titanfall had neat mech combat and brought parkour stuff to the online shootmans genre.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Follow That Fish! posted:

Fallout 4 season pass was the fourth highest selling thing in Steam when I checked as the game was launching.

Yes, there are.
Pre-ordering the Fallout season pass is dumb but somewhat understandable on PC because eventually the really good mods will require all the DLCs, and the DLCs are usually not affected by Steam sales until a year or two later when the GotY/Legendary edition gets a discount. And by now people know what to expect from Bethesda: one pretty good expansion, a mediocre one, and a disappointingly short one.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
It was hard to play Battlefront after playing Destiny. Aiming felt really slow and heavy and my friend didn't have the jet pack unlocked so it was hard to get up on rocks. They somehow made laser guns all feel samey and boring. Sound and graphics were cool though.

It would probably control better on a PC but lol if I'm buying any more poo poo through loving origin

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Obsurveyor posted:

Only good thing out of the update: Ability to stream Shadow Complex to my PC to pretend it got a PC release.

rest in peace shadow complex, you were really good

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I'd buy Battlefront if it was $20 but not full price that's ridiculous.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

grrarg posted:

Pre-ordering the Fallout season pass is dumb but somewhat understandable on PC because eventually the really good mods will require all the DLCs, and the DLCs are usually not affected by Steam sales until a year or two later when the GotY/Legendary edition gets a discount. And by now people know what to expect from Bethesda: one pretty good expansion, a mediocre one, and a disappointingly short one.

You know almost exactly what you're getting from Fallout DLC, and for $22 it's not really a big risk to take, considering all the DLC will cost more, and like you said, it'll only be on sale in a few years when GotY edition hits.

Obsurveyor posted:

Only good thing out of the update: Ability to stream Shadow Complex to my PC to pretend it got a PC release.

Shadow Complex? Looks like it's time to buy a 'bone.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Shadow Complex? Looks like it's time to buy a 'bone.

Backwards compatibility, playing my 360 copy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sony PlayStation TV at Best Buy for $20 lol

http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/169411

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is that the one with the controller included?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Reverse Centaur posted:

I like Battlefront because I can play it for 30 minutes after work and have fun and not feel like I am getting my rear end kicked by poopsockers who have played all day every day since release and have a huge weapons/armor advantage. In comparison, Fallout wrecked my entire week sleep-wise because even playing one mission was too much time commitment between my 12 hour shifts. I wouldn't call myself a big Star Wars fan, liked the older ones but that's it.

It definitely needs more maps though. If the season pass was free it would justify the full price more.

This sums it up for me as well. It's way more pick up and play friendly then I thought it would be. I'm also not a big star wars fan, although I do like how the game pays attention to the original trilogy (I guess the only ones I liked?). Small amount of maps is kinda a bummer, but they really nailed the look and feel of the movies, and the sound design is loving great.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

is that the one with the controller included?
No controller, no memory card

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

the sku i want will be 20 dollars eventually i am confident

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Is there any onboard memory for one or two games or do they still want you to buy their proprietary memory to do anything at all like the PSP?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Captain Yossarian posted:

This sums it up for me as well. It's way more pick up and play friendly then I thought it would be. I'm also not a big star wars fan, although I do like how the game pays attention to the original trilogy (I guess the only ones I liked?). Small amount of maps is kinda a bummer, but they really nailed the look and feel of the movies, and the sound design is loving great.

But aren't weapons and such locked behind level requirements and DLC? Haven't played it I mean i guess I'm just asking if it's truly jump in and play and you won't get owned by higher level dudes with good gear

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mr E posted:

Is there any onboard memory for one or two games or do they still want you to buy their proprietary memory to do anything at all like the PSP?
1GB onboard, enough for like Spelunky and TxK and maybe a PSX game. If all you want it for is a remote play extender for your PS4 you don't need anything though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can use your partner's gear in a match.

You just need to hope they're not low level too I guess.

• Locked thread