Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Just finished the entire series. Smile! :haw:

That was really great but Jesus gently caress sweet Christmas Luke was uncomfortable in the first two episodes. Is this how women feel like when someone goes "beep boop I am your love interest let us make with the sex" on other shows? That must be terrible :ohdear:

In his second appearance after the show midpoint they had actual chemistry and interacted like human beings, the first few episodes were very wobbly and a little try-hard. Came together nice at the end!

Can't wait until Matt Smith's run on Season 2

Also: "I was ten years old!" "You're not Ten anymore." :laffo:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh and I literally started swearing at the screen when Nuke killed the detective. His actor loving nailed that scene.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Welp, the finale sucked just as bad as Daredevil. "I'm gonna pretend to be under his control so I can get in close and kill him, what a brilliant and clever and not at all predictable ending" :rolleyes:

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Both Daredevil and JJ have the problem where the villains are a million times more entertaining and interesting and I want them to win at every turn.

Surely this will be remedied when the next season of Daredevil with the Punisher starahahahahahaaa

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Junkfist posted:

Both Daredevil and JJ have the problem where the villains are a million times more entertaining and interesting and I want them to win at every turn.

Surely this will be remedied when the next season of Daredevil with the Punisher starahahahahahaaa

People that legit side with Frank Castle and think he's a cool dude are most def scary.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Just finished the entire series. Smile! :haw:

That was really great but Jesus gently caress sweet Christmas Luke was uncomfortable in the first two episodes. Is this how women feel like when someone goes "beep boop I am your love interest let us make with the sex" on other shows? That must be terrible :ohdear:

In his second appearance after the show midpoint they had actual chemistry and interacted like human beings, the first few episodes were very wobbly and a little try-hard. Came together nice at the end!

Yeah the first ep was really bad, Ritters acting was terrible and it had a hammy as gently caress noir vibe.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Steve Yun posted:

Welp, the finale sucked just as bad as Daredevil. "I'm gonna pretend to be under his control so I can get in close and kill him, what a brilliant and clever and not at all predictable ending" :rolleyes:

Literally everyone realized that, including the Killgrave, but he was still tempted to believe it. Smile! :haw:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Steve Yun posted:

To be fair, even Kilgrave realized that. It was pretty much the only way it could have gone down, and the only problem I had with the scene was I'd have personally liked to see him squirm more as he realized he had no control. I think it's great that he was done in by his own hubris.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The ending was perfect and better than Daredevil's. The entire point was that it was too good to be true but he just couldn't help himself anyway because he's a creepy obsessive narcissist.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed this series, but like Daredevil it's a mixed bag. Some of the subplots are a good example: while they're relevant thematically and in writing, they eat up way too much time before they pay off in terms of narrative. Adaptation-wise it was surprisingly faithful in spirit and writing to the comics: they translated Bendis' story of people trying to live in a world of abusers and irrational assholes pretty well. Episode 4 was the high-point in terms of fidelity. And for the ending, (1x13) the problem is that the climax of Jessica's Jones story shouldn't be defeating Kilgrave, it's what she does after that. But again, it's a case of the narrative and writing ultimately not living up to the ideas and themes behind them.

And gently caress them for bringing back the narration for the last scene.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 2, 2016

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Junkfist posted:

I too wanted Kilgrave to turn the city into his personal harem.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Junkfist posted:

imo i personally think the mind controlling rapist in fact did not got the victory he so clearly deserved

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Should Luke say "We hosed" or even "We had sex"? No, "You let me be....inside you". that's totally more organic and naturalistic. that's how people talk about sex. yep. that's how sex works. beep boop oh look at that i'm actually a human-shaped robot

Chomposaur posted:

That was a really weird line, especially from two characters who started banging within a couple hours of meeting. I think the show even said that Luke is with a new lady every week. Doesn't sound like he would be that broken up about where he put his dick.

1x06

Sweet Christmas you people are dense. That line was fine and delivered fine to drive home the fact that what Jessica did to Luke was pretty much rape by deception. Discovering that someone you had been sleeping with, shared a unique secret with and bonded over it, and have been developing a budding relationship with was also your spouse's killer and had been lying-by-omission about it the whole time would be devastating and sickening to just about anyone. Just one more example to add to the list of abuse and control issues that guy made a few pages back, even if done out of shame and grief.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 22, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just finished this and I liked it more than Daredevil(which I like a lot). A lot of people didn't like Nuke showing up but I liked it. Not going to go into detail about what I liked and stuff but I will say that I hope Kilgrave isn't dead and shows up in Agents of Shield locked up or something. Also I liked the fighting since her and Cage just toss around guys. Wish they showed her flying more.

I also want to say Krysten Ritter has lips like plump cherries.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 22, 2015

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I kept waiting for JJ to take naps in every scene she was in she looked very sleepy like a melty wax creature that stumbled out of a methadone clinic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finished up the season, it was really drat good all the way through. My only real issue is an odd one, in that I felt they leaned a little too heavily on Kilgrave - there were too many interactions between him and Jessica which started to get comical as she'd almost have him and then he'd get away again. It feels like a weird complaint because Tennant was amazing as Kilgrave and I loved it every time he was onscreen, but I would have preferred if they'd kept that to a minimum and instead used more of the scenes of him going around doing his own creepy/hosed up preparations for when he finally got his hands on Jessica.

I absolutely loved 1x13 when he's childishly babbling angrily to himself about how he's totally going to teach Jessica a lesson, and starts fantasizing about all the ways he will make her "pay". I thought it was a great example of what we'd already seen, that he wasn't just narcissistic but that he'd never grown out of the immaturity of his early teens - he was basically throwing a tantrum. I can't remember if it is 1x11 or 1x12, but the scene where he recounts his memories of an event and Jessica recounts hers, then shows him unquestionable proof that SHE remembers right and he is lying even to himself was another great moment.

Argue posted:

Comics talk: I think the strongest change they made from the comic was Jessica simply overcoming his control with her willpower; I think that's more empowering. In the comic, it never sat right with me that the solution to her problem was Jean Grey ex machina installing a psychic safeguard.

I haven't read the comics in a long time, but the way I remembered it, wasn't it that Jean gave Jessica back her agency by implanting the ability to overcome Kilgrave's mind control, but told her it could only be triggered if Jessica TRULY wanted it to be? I actually really dug that, because it meant Jessica could actually finally believe what she'd always known intellectually/strived to believe - that she didn't want what Kilgrave told her she wanted, that she wasn't in some way complicit in the actions he made her perform. It wasn't so much about overriding Kilgrave's mind control as it was allowing her to reclaim her sense of self and gain some closure.

That said, I really did love the way they handled it on the show - "Let go, Jessica...... :aaa:"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

As much as I dislike the cameo cavalcade that is Alias, (comic spoilers)If they had actually had Kilgrave pretend to kill Rudd's Scott Lang via ant death, it would have been so amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh and I literally started swearing at the screen when Nuke killed the detective. His actor loving nailed that scene.

Poor guy. He was 2 days from retirement.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't read the comics in a long time, but the way I remembered it, wasn't it that Jean gave Jessica back her agency by implanting the ability to overcome Kilgrave's mind control, but told her it could only be triggered if Jessica TRULY wanted it to be?

Yeah, that's about right. But even in the comics several characters overcame his control by willpower alone, and I think the stuff you mentioned could easily have been done or explained without Jean Grey. Even with that justification it felt a bit too easy.

Now that I think about it, it might have been pretty awesome to get Kilgrave in Daredevil s2, and do that thing from the comics where he tries to take control of the Kingpin but he can't because Fisk is just too willful.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Question about the villains powers, I'm on 1x2 if that matters: Couldn't they simply stuff their ears? Like if you can't hear him he couldn't give you commands and then you just break his neck or whatever.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Question about the villains powers, I'm on 1x2 if that matters: Couldn't they simply stuff their ears? Like if you can't hear him he couldn't give you commands and then you just break his neck or whatever.
They don't know how his power works at that point - if ever. And you don't want to gamble on a theory.

radlum
May 13, 2013
It's been a while, can someone remind me what was the issue with the Daredevil finale?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

McSpanky posted:

1x06

Sweet Christmas you people are dense. That line was fine and delivered fine to drive home the fact that what Jessica did to Luke was pretty much rape by deception. Discovering that someone you had been sleeping with, shared a unique secret with and bonded over it, and have been developing a budding relationship with was also your spouse's killer and had been lying-by-omission about it the whole time would be devastating and sickening to just about anyone. Just one more example to add to the list of abuse and control issues that guy made a few pages back, even if done out of shame and grief.

You're 100% right, on this I didn't eve realize this.

Hollismason posted:

Here's a list of all abusive relationships in the show

Robyn and her Brother - Physical and Verbal abuse between family members. Sibling Abuse
Malcolm and Simpson - Drug Abuse
Hogarth and her wife - queer view of spousal abuse
Kilgrave and Jessica - Heternormatie rape and abuse
Kilgrave and Hope - heternormative rape and abuse
Patsy Walker and Her Mom - Child Abuse , Parent to Child
Simpson and Patsy - Spousal Abuse
Jessica - Alcohol Abuse
Jessica Jonas , Luke Cage - Rape/abuse through deception

I don't think I've missed any. I think almost every type of abuse is covered in this show.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 22, 2015

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
That relationship list is completely missing Hope and all her relationships.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

"You let me be...inside you" might be the MOST wretched line of dialog ever conceived, ever written, ever put to page, ever spoken as part of a work of cinematic fiction

In the history of the moving picture never before and never will there ever be a line of dialog as loving terrible as "You let me be (pause for emphasis)....inside you"

This bit owned, I lold hard

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

"You let me be...inside you" might be the MOST wretched line of dialog ever conceived, ever written, ever put to page, ever spoken as part of a work of cinematic fiction

In the history of the moving picture never before and never will there ever be a line of dialog as loving terrible as "You let me be (pause for emphasis)....inside you"

We had to pause the show there for a laughter break

McSpanky posted:

1x06

I think everybody understood it perfectly, friend, but it's still a godawful line with comically bad delivery

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 22, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

How is it daredevil can have perfect fight sequences and this one blows?

Not even talking about how they are a bunch of brawlers and not ninjas like daredevil, but the shaky cam bullshit. You lose all feeling of impact when the god drat camera cuts at the moment of impact.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
WHAT DO YOU WANT????

IN....SIDE.....YOU. ...

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Chomposaur posted:

That was a really weird line, especially from two characters who started banging within a couple hours of meeting. I think the show even said that Luke is with a new lady every week. Doesn't sound like he would be that broken up about where he put his dick.

Keep in mind due to her guilt over killing his wife, he had been on her radar for quite a while. The case file on her top shelf, and the additional photos beyond the ones we saw her take for the non-existent infidelity case, seem to indicate that she'd been quite the active creepy stalker.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Drythe posted:

How is it daredevil can have perfect fight sequences and this one blows?

Not even talking about how they are a bunch of brawlers and not ninjas like daredevil, but the shaky cam bullshit. You lose all feeling of impact when the god drat camera cuts at the moment of impact.

The showrunner for Daredevil was also the dude behind Spartacus.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Spoilers for the whole season.

So I just finished Jessica Jones this morning. I'm not quite as high on it as most people. I thought the performances in it were top notch and it explored its thematic elements in a realistic and engaging way

but

the plot/story, goddamn. It took them nearly thirteen hours to tell a story they could have told in less than half that time. They needed more episodes like AKA 99 Friends. If I'm remembering correctly that was the only episode not entirely focused on Kilgrave, right? The Kilgrave story is interesting and Tennant did a great job but it felt like plot contrivance after plot contrivance to pad out that many episodes. It needed episodes that were about other PI cases that could possibly be tangentially related to the overarching plot.

Instead of another hey look we've got Kilgrave oh wait we can't kill him because of Hope/people that might kill themselves oh no he got away episode. It felt like that kept happening just because, hey, it's not the season finale yet.

In a more nerdy sense I didn't dig the whole nobody believes in mind control stuff. I'm not sure where this takes place in the MCU canon but it at the very least takes places after the first Avengers. It's an easy excuse for the show to go, "People don't want to believe." After everything that happened in the Avengers and movies before it, Kilgrave's power is not something that should be blowing the minds of law enforcement.

Also just to add on I enjoyed Daredevil more. It was less of a thematically ambitious show and a lot more by the numbers in terms of telling a superhero story, but it did perfectly what it set out to accomplish so I found it more enjoyable.

trash person fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 22, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Argue posted:

Yeah, that's about right. But even in the comics several characters overcame his control by willpower alone, and I think the stuff you mentioned could easily have been done or explained without Jean Grey. Even with that justification it felt a bit too easy.

Now that I think about it, it might have been pretty awesome to get Kilgrave in Daredevil s2, and do that thing from the comics where he tries to take control of the Kingpin but he can't because Fisk is just too willful.

That would ruin what they were doing with Killgrave. That turns the whole thing into you have to follow every horrible thing he tells you to do, no matter how much your scream and fight in your head, unless you just really don't want to. Oh sure, you could have not killed those people and been a sex slave for a few months, but hey, guess you just didn't have the will.

1X2(3?)
Hope and Jessica just have to come to grips with the fact that they actually wanted to be murderous sex slaves. If only they could be more like noted guy who never ever loses it and flips out, because he's got willpower, Wilson Fisk.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Crow_Robot posted:

In a more nerdy sense I didn't dig the whole nobody believes in mind control stuff. I'm not sure where this takes place in the MCU canon but it at the very least takes places after the first Avengers. It's an easy excuse for the show to go, "People don't want to believe." After everything that happened in the Avengers and movies before it, Kilgrave's power is not something that should be blowing the minds of law enforcement.
It definitely takes place in the wider MCU, and yes this was quite jarring for me too. The amount of people who straight up went "what? no way! :downs:" was laughable.

Still enjoyed the show though, and at least that contrivance provided some dramatic tension, so it served a purpose.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

tooterfish posted:

It definitely takes place in the wider MCU, and yes this was quite jarring for me too. The amount of people who straight up went "what? no way! :downs:" was laughable.

Still enjoyed the show though, and at least that contrivance provided some dramatic tension, so it served a purpose.

Everyone can see Avengers powers. They're fantastic powers, but also physical and easy to understand.

Kilgrave (about his powers)
doesn't have any special FX:s attached to his powers. He just tells you what to do and you will do it. There's nothing comparable outside the X-men, which are non-MCU.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

I'm not sure I'd describe Thor and Hulk's powers as easy to understand.

Like if I'm accepting the existence of an alien Norse god and a large green man who runs on anger I'm not going to hear about a person having Kilgrave's power and think, "No wait now that's just TOO unbelievable."

e: Also just to be clear this particular thing isn't something I fault Jessica Jones for overall. It's just a nerd nitpick.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

adhuin posted:

Kilgrave (about his powers)
doesn't have any special FX:s attached to his powers. He just tells you what to do and you will do it. There's nothing comparable outside the X-men, which are non-MCU.

What about Loki and Scarlet Witch?

Even if the general public aren't ready to accept it (hard to believe, since we live in a universe where superpowers don't exist and people still believe in things like brainwashing and hypnotic suggestion), you have to suspend your disbelief a bit to think there wasn't a snatch team on the way from SHIELD or Hydra as soon as rumours started circulating about this guy. It's not like he kept a particularly low profile, he sadistically hosed with people for decades. Even if he kept getting away he would've still been on the radar.

It's a nerd nitpick for sure. Like I said, it served a purpose in the show, so you let it go.

edit: ^^^Yeah, exactly.^^^

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 22, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tooterfish posted:

What about Loki and Scarlet Witch?

Even if the general public aren't ready to accept it (hard to believe, since we live in a universe where superpowers don't exist and people still believe in things like brainwashing and hypnotic suggestion), you have to suspend your disbelief a bit to think there wasn't a snatch team on the way from SHIELD or Hydra as soon as rumours started circulating about this guy. It's not like he kept a particularly low profile, he sadistically hosed with people for decades. Even if he kept getting away he would've still been on the radar.

It's a nerd nitpick for sure. Like I said, it served a purpose in the show, so you let it go.

edit: ^^^Yeah, exactly.^^^

Wouldn't the SHIELD/HYDRA issue be solved by "You did a conclusive investigation and found nothing interesting, go home."?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not really. He can't read minds, so he wouldn't have any idea they were spying on him unless he knew to ask (and he's an idiot) and as soon as his control wore off they'd report what happened anyway. If he killed or kidnapped them it'd only raise suspicions further.

Also, the spy you send to investigate the superpowered brainwasher probably isn't the only spy. You have a spy spying on the spy too, to act as a failsafe. Spyception!

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

I've never watched Agents of SHIELD but I'm assuming SHIELD/HYDRA would be smart enough that if they heard about a person having Kilgrave's powers they'd bring ear plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Hollismason posted:

You're 100% right, on this I didn't eve realize this.
If you're keeping a running list, you could probably add some workplace abuse.

(full season spoilers)

Hogarth arguably abuses her professional position over Pam. Pam even says that she got interested in Hogarth because of how much power she wielded in a courtroom. That wouldn't necessarily be a problem per se except that Hogarth holds a similar power over Pam in their professional relationship.

Also, IGH takes advantage of Simpson's desperation. I mean yeah, he volunteers and all for the treatment and drugs, but that doesn't justify IGH straight up hunting him down to further their research.

They're more fringe cases that depend on how much agency and consent you ascribe to Pam and Simpson, but I'd say they're shady enough for consideration.

Crow_Robot posted:

Wasn't there a tiny bit in Agents of Shield's first season that talked about how, aside from Loki's staff, they've never, ever recorded any instance of true telepathy or mind control in humans? I don't remember the context, but I remember Coulson being very adamant about it. Like, they've run into it before, but up until the Scarlet Witch, it's all been Asgardian or otherwise alien in nature.

Besides, I buy the general reflex to deny it just because it threatens some of the most basic assumptions people have about themselves and how much control they have over their lives. It's not a thing most people would think about in a purely rational way; if the devil really can make you do it, then it's suddenly possible that you could leave your own child in the middle of the street, carve out your spouse's heart, or whatever, and emotionally charged ideas like that short-circuit our ability to think rationally.

Hell, there's a significant portion of the actual American population who reject the idea that the circumstances of one's birth can heavily influence the trajectory of one's life. We like to think we're in control of our lives.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 22, 2015