Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
That was a pretty good leg. The ship simulator was cool, and there was some changes in position for a variety of reasons.

The team that got passed in the ship simulator by the green team is the team bland of this year. I didn't remember who they were. This means they'll probably end up winning.

hepscat posted:

I'm not sorry to see the dentists go. You have to wonder if that's the first time they've actually used public transportation.

Probably. Waiting 30 minutes for the bus is the exact opposite of what you should be doing in a situation like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

thedaian posted:

Probably. Waiting 30 minutes for the bus is the exact opposite of what you should be doing in a situation like this.

The Texans' strategy of "let's just chill out around Paris for a few hours until our scheduled train" is still the worst move of this leg, though.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

ShakeZula posted:

The Texans' strategy of "let's just chill out around Paris for a few hours until our scheduled train" is still the worst move of this leg, though.

They got super lucky there was a reset of all the teams overnight, otherwise, they would have been completely screwed. As it was, they were only slightly screwed.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I always love it when teams go off-script and explore the amazing locations. Glad it didn't screw the texans over too much.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There was a male team on the Amazing Race Asia who had some downtime and needed money so I think they basically went to a strip club and stripped for some money. I think they also won eight legs that season (so tying for most number of legs ever won in a season), but came in third place in the final leg.

It's been like eight years since I've watched it though, so I might be misremembering.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

ApplesandOranges posted:

There was a male team on the Amazing Race Asia who had some downtime and needed money so I think they basically went to a strip club and stripped for some money. I think they also won eight legs that season (so tying for most number of legs ever won in a season), but came in third place in the final leg.

It's been like eight years since I've watched it though, so I might be misremembering.

I would watch that. I can't remember anything other than begging when people needed money.

There was that one gay couple who had an overnight in one of the Asian stops, maybe Hong Kong? They spent some time shopping instead of resting for the next day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I haven't watched every season but the hip hop challenge might be the most dejected the people putting on the challenge show have ever seemed to me.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Rick posted:

I haven't watched every season but the hip hop challenge might be the most dejected the people putting on the challenge show have ever seemed to me.

haha yeah the more it dragged on with the Bama group, you could tell those people really just wanted to get the gently caress out of there.

Also didn't we have some people a few seasons ago wreck their car in France (by putting non-diesel in it?) and then decide to just take it easy with a nice night at a hotel, knowing they were screwed?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

haha yeah the more it dragged on with the Bama group, you could tell those people really just wanted to get the gently caress out of there.

Also didn't we have some people a few seasons ago wreck their car in France (by putting non-diesel in it?) and then decide to just take it easy with a nice night at a hotel, knowing they were screwed?

That was in the third season (the one with Flo) :eng101: That was a great moment too, because three other teams filled their car with unleaded as well and they all reacted in a different way. They checked into a hotel, another team sat on the side of the road crying, Flo yelled at Zach, and the Vietnam vet drained the gas himself and walked back to the station to buy some diesel.

That season was a lot better than this one.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Andorra posted:

Flo yelled at Zach

that was the whole season

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

hepscat posted:

I would watch that. I can't remember anything other than begging when people needed money.

There was that one gay couple who had an overnight in one of the Asian stops, maybe Hong Kong? They spent some time shopping instead of resting for the next day.

Here we go, Oswald & Danny go shopping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j-CUCe72D0

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

"Best friends"

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
The music they played over that montage, ahaha.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

That's one of my favorite moments from Amazing Race ever.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
On one of the epenis games there was a question "Who would you most like to see on the race" and I remember answering Geoff and Gavin from RoosterTeeth. Those two aren't going buuuuut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3yzrZi6Fw

I'm now excited for next season!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GuavaMoment posted:

On one of the epenis games there was a question "Who would you most like to see on the race" and I remember answering Geoff and Gavin from RoosterTeeth. Those two aren't going buuuuut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3yzrZi6Fw

I'm now excited for next season!

Burnie goddamn Burns on Amazing Race? Yes, please!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The cast for next season has been announced. Trust me, you really don't want to read it. :suicide:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's basically a whole loving cast of assclowns like Megan and Joey? OK cancel this show already

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
What's worse, a reality tv star, or a youtube celebrity?

(the answer is they're both terrible)

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty sure a viner is worse.

I was pretty excited when I heard Burnie and Ashley would be on, but now I don't think I want to watch this season at all :(

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Would it be so hard to at least let the current season finish before telling us about next season?

Or is the next gimmick to have TAR 28 start as soon as the current one ends...

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

They're going to livestream the start of the race, which is in a few weeks or less, so yeah, they're gonna try and hype it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It seems like The Amazing Race is establishing some kind of casting format. First season of the year is a gimmick (26, now 28) and then the second is backtracking by going back to its roots with solid teams and a nostalgia factor (25, 27).

Cast of recruits not reading clues + selfie cam return :suicide:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'd totally watch 28 because it means lots of even worse fuckups by the contestants

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

That save felt really hammed in. A keep racing leg followed by non elimination? Really? I like the Texas guys, but come on.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Non-elim legs are almost always planned out ahead of time, though this one was drat convenient.

It was kind of a simple leg though. None of the challenges were really the sort to allow for position swapping, and the main reason Texas got last was trouble finding a taxi. Watching the cheerleaders desperately beg for money was kind of cringe-worthy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/news/1004891/don-t-miss-the-amazing-race-28-starting-line-live-stream-event-/

quote:

For the first-time ever, on Sunday, Nov. 15 at 10:30/9:30pm c, Phil Keoghan, host of The Amazing Race, will be live streaming via Facebook the kick off of the show's next season direct from the first leg.

This unique experience will provide fans a real time look behind the scenes of Season 28, which includes 11 new teams of socially savvy racers who will embark on their journey around the world. If you're a social-media junkie, then this season was totally made for you.

To watch the live stream on Sun., Nov. 15, log on to Phil's Facebook page or come back to this page at 10:30/9:30pm c!

This cast is filled with social-media tastemakers like YouTube stars Tyler Oakley and Burnie Burns, Vine stars Zach King and Cole LaBrant, Instagram models Jessica Versteeg and Brittany Oldehoff, and many more familiar faces from the most clickable channels out there.

Here's the complete list of the teams competing on the upcoming season of The Amazing Race:

Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl: Best friends
Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins: Dating
Erin White Robinson and Joslyn Davis: Best friends
Sheri and Cole LaBrant: Mother and son
Zach and Rachel King: Newlyweds
Dana Borriello and Matt Steffanina: Dating
Jessica Versteeg and Brittany Oldehoff: Best friends
Marty Cobb and Hagan Parkman: Mother and daughter
Kurt Gibson and Brodie Smith: Pro frisbee players
Cameron and Darius Benson: Brothers
Scott and Blair Fowler: Father and daughter

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

social-media tastemakers

I might try to watch this though if the football game is a blowout

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I don't recognize 90% of those people, and I spend a lot of time on YouTube. Hopefully they won't focus too much on their social media crap and just have them be normal contestants.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
It got pushed back until about 8:45 pacific so if you're thinking you missed it, you still have 20 minutes.

E: honestly the best part was Phil talking to a local fan who showed up when they revealed where they were and said it would be a 45 minute delay. Location spoiler: They were in Mexico City at the Monument of the Revolution

hepscat fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 16, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

if you miss it it can be found on

https://www.facebook.com/PhilKeoghanOfficial/videos/1072732452759112/

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hay guys, how's this season shaping up? Is it worth catching up on?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

what the gently caress is a Vine Star and how

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

Hay guys, how's this season shaping up? Is it worth catching up on?

It started out a little weak, but the last few episodes have been pretty good imo. It's a lot better than last season at least.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I would like this season more if Justin wasn't around. At this point he annoys me more than Rachel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

sportsgenius86 posted:

what the gently caress is a Vine Star and how

Someone who posts a lot of things to Vine that other people find funny.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I'd be surprised if green team fails to win the whole thing. Most of the other teams just aren't as good, and the biggest chance to get them out has passed.

It's been a pretty good season so far, though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Green team is by far the best team, of course they are just a bad flight or taxi ride away from getting eliminated. Silver lining is that they have done so well that, even if they lose, they will certainly be coming back for an all star season.

My brother and I suspected that the non-elim from the last leg was an audible and the halfassed speedbump seems to support that. This leg was super bunchy and designed to screw the green team with the u-turn, but they were able to just beat everyone again even from even footing.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

My brother and I suspected that the non-elim from the last leg was an audible and the halfassed speedbump seems to support that.

Phil's assertion that "the only way you could have made it is if another team U-turned someone else" supports that idea, since Texas' narrative was so intimately tied with that Double U-turn scheme that they catastrophically fumbled.

I disagree that it was designed to destroy Team Green, though, since even if they had been U-turned they would have been on even-footing with Texas (which was the drama I think Phil was fishing for); maybe even ahead depending on whether that Laundry Challenge was harder than either half of the Detour as the interviews seemed to imply.

I was initially really excited that the Speed Bump was for both team members to complete the Road Block at the same time. Having them both do it in parallel makes it both fair but potentially punishing. Having them do it in series is a death sentence, and was pretty brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They've never seemed to be able to get a good handle on Speed Bumps. Ideally they shouldn't be overly difficult, but should at least allocate some time. However if a team is good, they might be able to bulldoze past it.

This incarnation was surprisingly brutal, especially for such a physical Roadblock. Imagine if it was applied to something like the infamous hay bale Roadblock.

• Locked thread