Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Without the EU, we never would have gotten Jabba the Hutt's dreadlocked father, Zorba the Hutt, who is so fat he's immune to blaster fire and flies around in the Zorba Express.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DiseasedTempest posted:

I googled the script. It does appear that there's supposed to be 2 and only 2 Sith at any given time, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense but whatever.

I, too, was stunned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tunicate posted:

so fat he's immune to blaster fire

:allears:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Tunicate posted:

Without the EU, we never would have gotten Jabba the Hutt's dreadlocked father, Zorba the Hutt, who is so fat he's immune to blaster fire and flies around in the Zorba Express.
You reminded me of this from another thread

loquacius posted:

I had very poor critical skills as a kid and read a bunch of really terrible sci-fi books, but the only one I was capable at the time of recognizing as bad was the Star Wars Jedi Prince series. Here's some stuff I remember off the top of my head:

- A guy comes along claiming to be the son of Emperor Palpatine. He has three eyes. His name is "Trioculus"; this is a word meaning "three eyes." As proof of his ancestry, he produces a glove that he claims to be the glove of Darth Vader. He is able to use this glove to choke people at a distance, and, you see, the glove is what allowed Darth Vader to do that in the movies, and only a son of Emperor Palpatine could use it (I guess Darth Vader was also a son of Emperor Palpatine?). Trioculus wants to marry Princess Leia (as a Main Villain in an '80s kids book/cartoon he is contractually obligated to want this); when she proves less than amenable to this idea, he instead marries a robot replica of Princess Leia. It kills him. At the robot wedding.
- At some point it is revealed that Trioculus isn't actually the son of Emperor Palpatine. Another guy is. This guy also has three eyes. His name is "Triclops"; this is a word meaning "three eyes."
- The main character of the series is a kid named Ken. He is a kid Just Like You, who grows up in a room full of Star Wars memorabilia and like C3PO action figures or whatever, only his room is in an underground city on Yavin IV (the Lost City of the Jedi!!!!) where he was raised by robots and has no human contact before being discovered partway through book 2. The robots give him "lessons" that consist entirely of Star Wars trivia.
- All the Grand Moffs fly around on a ship together. That ship is called the Moffship. On the Moffship they have conferences. Those conferences are called Mofferences.
- There is a character named Zorba the Hutt; he looks like Jabba the Hutt except he has a full human-style beard
- Han and Leia build their dream house (a Cloud House, on Bespin) and have a housewarming party. Later they attempt to elope to a theme park, called Hologram Fun World. In the end they decide not to elope and make a big production out of planning their REAL wedding. These are subplots in a Star Wars book.

Basically I was convinced that the only good way to read the Star Wars EU books was to read them in chronological order :spergin:, and this pile of poo poo took place two years after Jedi so even though I was fully aware that it was terrible I still had to suffer through it (and Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which was also terrible) if I wanted to read actual good books like Heir to the Empire or whatever. I guess I thought those books would like spoil things that happened in chronologically-earlier books, and this would be bad somehow??? Man I was a really stupid kid.

The Moff part still cracks me up.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Starwars EU is goofy as poo poo. LOok at this loving nonsense:

This picture makes me belly laugh every time I look directly at it. Why are you even blocking his lightsaber just chop his dumb huge tail! You're standing on it! What the heck?
They wrote a book about the only hutt to ever become a jedi how he took over a planet with his powers to make sand storms (don't hutts take over planets anyway? With hookers and blackjack?)

I always get annoyed that the Hutts are now what the race of space-slugs that Jabba is instead of Hutt being a space mafia title.
Like I always thought Jabba was a space-slug who was a Hutt.

And the guy who said that Vader would probably be a chill boss, are you mental??
I've been watching the original trilogy recently with my kid and apart from her thoughts that the storm troopers are such poo poo shots because they can't see very well out of their helmets (based on Like saying he can barley see with it on.)
Her best pearl of wisdom was that Vader seems like a awful boss and she'd hate to work for him.
I mean keys do a count.
Star Wars- he chokes out a guy during a meeting.
Empire- he loving kill's a guy who bravely went to his death.
Return- he turns up at the new Death Star and tells they guy that's managed to rebuild it in record time without adequate staff or resources (who also seems proud of himself.) that he's doing a poo poo job and if it was up to him he'd be floating in space already.

Vader would be the worst loving boss, it's almost a running joke that Vader is terrible and I actually feel bad for the guys who have to work with/for him.

While we're talking Star Wars what were the rebels rebelling about anyway?
Apart from being run by a crazy evil space wizard the Empire seemed to be fine there's no mention of prison camps or limited freedom or racial genocide or any of the bad things you think about with fascism.

Then again we don't ever see any "civilised" planets.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Nov 21, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

And the guy who said that Vader would probably be a chill boss, are you mental??
I've been watching the original trilogy recently with my kid and apart from her thoughts that the storm troopers are such poo poo shots because they can't see very well out of their helmets (based on Like saying he can barley see with it on.)
Her best pearl of wisdom was that Vader seems like a awful boss and she'd hate to work for him.
I mean keys do a count.
Star Wars- he chokes out a guy during a meeting.
Empire- he loving kill's a guy who bravely went to his death.
Return- he turns up at the new Death Star and tells they guy that's managed to rebuild it in record time without adequate staff or resources (who also seems proud of himself.) that he's doing a poo poo job and if it was up to him he'd be floating in space already.

Vader would be the worst loving boss.

Vader isn't the boss, though, he's just the line manager. Palpatine is the boss, and if things don't go the way he wants when Vader has been sent to make sure they do then Vader's in a world of hurt. Star Wars isn't the best example of this as the guy getting choked was giving Vader poo poo and dissing the Force, but in Empire he only kills people who cause him to fail in the task Palpatine has given him and in Jedi the only threat he makes to Jerjerrod is that of the Emperor's wrath.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Apart from being run by a crazy evil space wizard the Empire seemed to be fine there's no mention of prison camps or limited freedom or racial genocide or any of the bad things you think about with fascism.

Uh well they did blow up a planet a little bit

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

"Krypt-OOO-Nite!!" posted:

Uh, they destroyed an entire planet for giggles and literally built something called a Death Star

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

misguided rage posted:

Uh well they did blow up a planet a little bit

Collateral damage. If Alderaan didn't want to be blown up they shouldn't have been harboring rebels and weapons on their planet. In fact it's quite despicable of the rebels to be hiding behind women and children like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Their ships are called Death Stars and Star Destroyers.

If you don't want people rebelling against you don't name your stuff that.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

How about the Mobile Intersystem Anti-Terrorism Outpost? The 'MIATO. Star Destoryers in orbit? No, those are the Active Turbolaser Defense Platforms, they'll keep us safe!

The Empire just needed better PR, they'd never have a rebel problem.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I take my Miato out for a spin whenever the weather's nice enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Caedus posted:

How about the Mobile Intersystem Anti-Terrorism Outpost? The 'MIATO. Star Destoryers in orbit? No, those are the Active Turbolaser Defense Platforms, they'll keep us safe!

The Empire just needed better PR, they'd never have a rebel problem.

Okay, wow, "Stormtroopers"? Are you... are you serious with this... hell no; they're going to be called "Peace Sentinels" now.
They're going to be Robin egg blue, not white, and that helmet has to be completely redesigned...

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Jedit posted:

Vader isn't the boss, though, he's just the line manager. Palpatine is the boss, and if things don't go the way he wants when Vader has been sent to make sure they do then Vader's in a world of hurt. Star Wars isn't the best example of this as the guy getting choked was giving Vader poo poo and dissing the Force, but in Empire he only kills people who cause him to fail in the task Palpatine has given him and in Jedi the only threat he makes to Jerjerrod is that of the Emperor's wrath.

Yeah, basically Vader is like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross. A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Choking.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's my favorite scene in star wars. Vader just snapping and choking out a coworker during a meeting.

So many times have I wanted to do the same thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

racial genocide or any of the bad things you think about with fascism.

The Empire enslaved and killed the hell out of the Wookies. Also the Jedi probably count as a religious group being exterminated, along with all their knowledge and temples being destroyed.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Schubalts posted:

The Empire enslaved and killed the hell out of the Wookies. Also the Jedi probably count as a religious group being exterminated, along with all their knowledge and temples being destroyed.

And any other species that was not humens, allowing slavery, letting the Moffs run their planets and star systems how ever they want.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
None of that poo poo was in the movies except for the Jedi thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FreudianSlippers posted:

Collateral damage. If Alderaan didn't want to be blown up they shouldn't have been harboring rebels and weapons on their planet. In fact it's quite despicable of the rebels to be hiding behind women and children like that.

This would be funny if a Danish politician didn't just use that exact phrasing the other week, to justify bombing civilian targets in Syria :(

Aphrodite posted:

Their ships are called Death Stars and Star Destroyers.

If you don't want people rebelling against you don't name your stuff that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroyer :confused:

"Destroyer" is just a class of battleship, and naval terminology is a good fit for spaceships. But it does have a aggressive ring to it. And if Star Destroyers and Super Star Destroyers actually fit the naval terminology, I'd love to see a Star Battleship.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

"Destroyer" is just a class of battleship, and naval terminology is a good fit for spaceships. But it does have a aggressive ring to it. And if Star Destroyers and Super Star Destroyers actually fit the naval terminology, I'd love to see a Star Battleship.

I'm more curious about Star Submarines.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Periscope up "god gently caress it's bright up there" back to swimming the fusing depths of the stars.

Or source or whatever they say instead of god in the EU I heard it once but forgot, mercifully.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Krinkle posted:

Periscope up "god gently caress it's bright up there" back to swimming the fusing depths of the stars.

Or source or whatever they say instead of god in the EU I heard it once but forgot, mercifully.

Lol there literally was an EU ship that could (almost) do this. it was sunk into the core of a gas giant without being harmed http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crusher

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

thespaceinvader posted:

Lol there literally was an EU ship that could (almost) do this. it was sunk into the core of a gas giant without being harmed http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crusher

quote:

"The only thing more dangerous than a Dark Jedi is a Dark Jedi behind the controls of a Sun Crusher…"
―Han Solo, speaking of Kyp Durron[src]

I feel that nobody should make the image of harrison ford we all have in our hearts and memories say the dumbest possible thing ever, just in my humble opinion.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

jazzyjay posted:

Yeah, basically Vader is like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross. A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Choking.

Oxygen is for closers only

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroyer :confused:

And there's lots of people rebelling against us and Russia.

And maybe Peru.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I feel that nobody should make the image of harrison ford we all have in our hearts and memories say the dumbest possible thing ever, just in my humble opinion.

"I've been from one end of this galaxy to the other, and I've never seen another house like this one. It's a new concept of mine—houses that float in the sky. If you don't like the cloud you're living on, you just drift off to another one."

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Tunicate posted:

"I've been from one end of this galaxy to the other, and I've never seen another house like this one. It's a new concept of mine—houses that float in the sky. If you don't like the cloud you're living on, you just drift off to another one."

Googled the first half of this quote, went directly to star wars (1977) IMDB quote page, heart exploded thinking "did he loving say that? did I block this out?" but phew no he said something else. Is the second half homer from cape feare?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Krinkle posted:

Googled the first half of this quote, went directly to star wars (1977) IMDB quote page, heart exploded thinking "did he loving say that? did I block this out?" but phew no he said something else. Is the second half homer from cape feare?

I am almost certain it's from that book with the guy who has three eyes and Vader's glove.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

None of that poo poo was in the movies except for the Jedi thing.

Yeah, the Empire being alien racist is all from the EU. In the movies it was just a practical thing where in ANH almost every alien was just in the cantina scene.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In Django Unchained why didn't Dr. King shoot the guy with the shotgun after he shot Candy? He had a 2 shot derringer.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In Django Unchained why didn't Dr. King shoot the guy with the shotgun after he shot Candy? He had a 2 shot derringer.

All of his other kills had a certain methodical preciseness to them; Schultz always had a plan to approach the target, make the kill, and get away clean, with a preference for using words over bullets whenever possible. His confrontation with Candie was the first time, at least in the movie, where he 'lost' the encounter. When he shot Candie, he seemed to be as surprised as anybody.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

ducttape posted:

All of his other kills had a certain methodical preciseness to them; Schultz always had a plan to approach the target, make the kill, and get away clean, with a preference for using words over bullets whenever possible. His confrontation with Candie was the first time, at least in the movie, where he 'lost' the encounter. When he shot Candie, he seemed to be as surprised as anybody.

Also his shooting of Candie was not done in self defense or as a bounty; it was pretty much straight-up murder. It's possible he had no intention of living afterward.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

He didn't think he was going to live. That's why he said, "I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself."

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
In Avatar, when they 'lose' the dude in the forest and just give up and go back to base like, "It's getting dark, we'll never find him now."

You stupid fucks. You have the capacity for suspended animation and fast interstellar travel, both of which you used to schlep a cripple through space to use this insanely expensive piece of bioengineering that have now 'lost' because you don't have a pair of human eyeballs on it?

gently caress you, James Cameron.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Jump to 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO3YRlNLqCM

Smudgie Buggler has a new favorite as of 12:39 on Nov 22, 2015

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

El Cid posted:

Speaking of book-Chewie how was Chewbacca even handled in the Star Wars books? Like... do authors just always have someone around to translate for him? It just doesn't seem like it would feel right if he had directly translated lines in the book, like "'Oh no, look out, a Storm Trooper!' roared Chewie".

More importantly, why is he called Chewbacca? It is physically impossible for a wookie to say Chewbacca. His name would be RrrwaarrRRAWR or something. Did Han just give him that name? Is it like Gearhead in rick and moryy? Is han a space-racist?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

El Cid posted:

Speaking of book-Chewie how was Chewbacca even handled in the Star Wars books? Like... do authors just always have someone around to translate for him? It just doesn't seem like it would feel right if he had directly translated lines in the book, like "'Oh no, look out, a Storm Trooper!' roared Chewie".

It's mostly poo poo like "Chewbacca growled a warning" or "He chuffed his agreement."

One time I lost track of who was speaking and thought he had this paragraph long passage that got super philosophical. I was blown away at what a great change that was, until I realized that the author had some droid saying it instead. :smith:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
There was a wookie in the thrawn books that had a speech impediment that made him easier for non wookies to understand. That was pretty dumb.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

More importantly, why is he called Chewbacca? It is physically impossible for a wookie to say Chewbacca. His name would be RrrwaarrRRAWR or something. Did Han just give him that name? Is it like Gearhead in rick and moryy? Is han a space-racist?

Half of Chewbacca's lines were "gently caress, stop calling me that, HAN!" and Han was being a jerk by pretending it was something else which Chewbacca passively accepted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Names often get shifted between languages, Carlos becomes Charlie, Istvan becomes Steven, Giovanni becomes Johnny, Vilhelm becomes William, etc.

So it makes sense if his language is hard for us to pronounce and ours is hard for his, there'd be a common nickname for him. Hopefully he signed off on it and Han isn't just being a dick :cheeky:

But I mean, its not like you ever hear Chewbacca say "rawwwrawwarwar Leia rawwarawrwawrwar Luke rawrarwarawrar" so its not like he's saying any of the other characters' names either. There must be wookie' nicknames for all the main characters' names which he is saying and Han translates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Why doesn't Chewbacca wear pants? Is he some kind of pervert that likes flying around space with his wookie dick hanging out? That's hosed up.