Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i respect pucci for his jojo killcount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

That was loving sick seeing Jotaro, Herme's and Anusai's dead bodies rotting

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like to think Joseph Joestar died peacefully in his sleep aged ninety-whatever immediately prior to the creation of [Made in Heaven] as one final gently caress you to the curse of the Joestar bloodline

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, wow. Diamond is Unbreakable/Not Crash was the second part out despite having 10 characters. Jojolion was the first, and it only had 2. Jonathan, Jolyne, and Gyro are hanging on and defying the odds, though Jonathan happens to be partnered with DIO, so...

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I like to think Joseph Joestar died peacefully in his sleep aged ninety-whatever immediately prior to the creation of [Made in Heaven] as one final gently caress you to the curse of the Joestar bloodline

I don't really know why the curse is even a thing though, Joestars only really die violently in Part 1 and not again until Part 6 where literally everyone dies anyway.*

* At least in the original universe, I still haven't finished SBR and don't you dare spoil things for me yet

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It was a thing at the time. George was murdered in late middle age; Jonathan died young, George II died young.

Joseph was expected to die but broke the curse.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Forktoss posted:

I don't really know why the curse is even a thing though, Joestars only really die violently in Part 1 and not again until Part 6 where literally everyone dies anyway.*

* George I and Jonathan die in Part I.
* George II dies before Part II.
* Holly's life is put into mortal danger just by being alive.
* Josuke and Jotaro, albeit temporarily, die during Part IV.
* Jotaro and Jolyne die during Part VI.

It was more of a thing back during the first two parts, as Bad Seafood said, but it's still not easy being a Joestar descendant.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Don't forget that Joseph was basically dead for like 5 minutes at the end of SDC.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Joseph simply pulled off a ruse to trick the curse back in his late 20s

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Don't forget that Joseph was basically dead for like 5 minutes at the end of SDC.

That's why it's funny, even the two times when he really should have died it couldn't stick, in the series famous for its main characters actually dying and it sticking

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

E: Wait poo poo you're actually kinda right

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The Jojo curse only strikes once and, well...

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

José Joestar

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th9T3mQkPoc

Subbed story trailer for Eyes of Heaven.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Given Johnny's fate in Jojolion, the curse is still going strong.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Do Gappy's halves count as dead?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's weird how I hate Joshuu a little less reading through a second time; I'm convinced that it's because of the melting part

I mean he still does unforgivable poo poo but it's also like he's some idiot kid no one felt like raising right so he's just... yeah. Maybe if I ever re-read again I'll veer back towards hate.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I mean he still does unforgivable poo poo but it's also like he's some idiot kid no one felt like raising right so he's just... yeah. Maybe if I ever re-read again I'll veer back towards hate.
I've gone on record to say I don't like Joshuu but yeah, he really is just a spoiled kid. I think it's been brought up in this very thread before, but his role in JJL is kind of similar to that of Jonathan in PB: a rich kid with a good life that's ruined by the arrival of some charismatic jerk who immediately wins everyone's trust, becomes the new family favourite, pushes him around, and attempts to steal his girlfriend. The problem being that Gappy is actually a pretty nice dude, while Joshuu is a petulant child who's constantly screwing with Gappy, and Yasuho is Joshuu's "girlfriend" only in his dreams. He makes a really bad first impression, too: the first thing he does in the comic is attempt to bash Gappy's head in with a rock--which wouldn't be such a bad thing if he framed it as defending Yasuho from a suspicious naked man rather than stammering about "my Yasuho" while she, disgusted, tries to stop him. See also his other awful interactions with Yasuho, The Best JoJo Gal.

The other issue is that he hasn't done anything other than whine about things or melt into a sink for, what?, months or even years in real time? At the same time, look at this footage and tell me you wouldn't want to see this team in EoH:

And now I'm totally gonna reread JJL, too!

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I was saying last night that he's kinda like buster bluth though yeah, obviously a malevolent bluth.

Re-reading makes me love Yasuho even more than I already did. She's fantastic, someday I'll type lots more about her. I try not to think about how much I like Gappy cuz it's not gonna end well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress I have to play this game now that Joshu is playable

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Re-reading makes me love Yasuho even more than I already did. She's fantastic, someday I'll type lots more about her. I try not to think about how much I like Gappy cuz it's not gonna end well.
I'm gonna just ignore this whole page's worth of discussion of major character deaths (as well as anything the manga itself might be setting up) and pretend that everything is gonna be just fine with Gappy and the rest of the crew. Juuuuuuuuust fine.

On the subject of ladies, I really want to see more of Yasuho Hirose, Morioh Detective, and also more of Kyo and Holly! It feels like their plotlines were left sort of dangling ages ago. Maybe it's just because Part 8 is the only part that I've started to read mid-run, not to mention relatively early on in its serialization, but it feels like a lot of interesting stuff is being set up and then just not getting addressed again for super long stretches. Not that I'm actually disappointed, though: I wouldn't trade any revelation for, e.g., the beetle fight saga.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I get the feeling that Gappy's going to grow content with the fact he's a 2 for 1 and live happily at the end. Contrary to what I talk about later on in this post, I actually get the feeling Yasuho is the one who's most likely to die for real at this point out of the primary characters. Karera still feels likely to me, but she's more minor right now.

Assuming it's following on from JoJolion, I can't quite see how the next JoJo is going to be written into play at this point in time though. Determining the parentage of a child between what you'd assume at this point would be Yasuho and a dude with 4 balls who is two people would be a nightmare.

I wouldn't hate it if it was Kyo's child though.

I wonder if Araki's even thought about what his 9th JoJo will be like at this point on the assumption he's doing Part 9.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Contrary to what I talk about later on in this post, I actually get the feeling Yasuho is the one who's most likely to die for real at this point out of the primary characters. Karera still feels likely to me, but she's more minor right now.
Yeah, that's kind of the feeling I'm getting, especially because Yasuho is the closest thing we have in this part to a Zeppeli. But at the same time surely if someone is gonna get Zeppeli'd it's not actually going to be her: it feels like such a cheap plotting move to pull the whole "love interest dies for maximum emotional impact" thing. I'm hoping that, at worst, she'll get some kind of fakeout death, as in most of the part 4 "deaths" (which would be another nice parallel).

e: Speaking of part 4, the most pressing question I have about the SBRverse is where is the Rohan analogue? I need to know that that magnificent rear end in a top hat is still drawing comics and picking fights with teenagers somewhere. mods pls change my name to Rohan Kishibe tia

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 24, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Araki will avoid it. Even though the old joke is that Rohan is Araki's self-insert, perhaps partly due to his popularity as a whole, he definitely serves as Araki's avatar in the world fairly often. (The difference being that Rohan's personality isn't Araki's.) I'm not sure Araki would be interested in creating a counterpart to Rohan when he can use Rohan for so many different things in the JoJo universe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I always saw Yotsuyu as being the closest analogue to Rohan, seeing as they're both artist-types.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I think Araki will avoid it. Even though the old joke is that Rohan is Araki's self-insert, perhaps partly due to his popularity as a whole, he definitely serves as Araki's avatar in the world fairly often. (The difference being that Rohan's personality isn't Araki's.) I'm not sure Araki would be interested in creating a counterpart to Rohan when he can use Rohan for so many different things in the JoJo universe.
Yeah, I was mostly kidding: the joke would wear pretty thin pretty quickly. I do like seeing him in spin-offs, though! Are we supposed to get another one of those in the near future, or did I dream that up?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Gappy and Yasuho have twins. One is somehow Dio. There you go, Araki, I've already got you set up for the next part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Amaryllis posted:

Yeah, I was mostly kidding: the joke would wear pretty thin pretty quickly. I do like seeing him in spin-offs, though! Are we supposed to get another one of those in the near future, or did I dream that up?

It's due near the start of December, I believe.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Gappy and Yasuho have twins. One is somehow Dio. There you go, Araki, I've already got you set up for the next part.

i actually figured that in a theoretical next arc that araki would pull something like having gappy father some twins, a boy and a girl, and one would be like kira to whatever extent while the other is like josefumi.

it would be the tightest poo poo.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Oh I definitely want twin JoJos next. :allears:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
How far off from the next part are we, by the way? I haven't started JJL yet, and I suppose it's not necessarily going to be the same length as any of the other parts, but how far in is it right now?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm just gonna go ahead and guess we're around the first third mark depending on what happens in the next few chapters, if so it'll probably be around 100~120 chapters total maybe. Just a tad longer than SBR.

So it'd be somewhere around 6 years for the next part?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Forktoss posted:

How far off from the next part are we, by the way? I haven't started JJL yet, and I suppose it's not necessarily going to be the same length as any of the other parts, but how far in is it right now?
Pre-SBR, standard length for any given part was around 17 volumes. SBR switched formats, and ended up clocking in at 24 volumes.

Jojolion's 11th volume was just announced, so I'd say we're about halfway through.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd say we're just around half way too but I think it could fall slightly on either side of that mark.

Even if you're not looking at page count, chapter count or volume count, you can roughly tell that we're probably close to the middle of the part from the story beats.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Remember the second time Josuu used his stand to assault a confused Yasuho in a bathroom stall? Good charecter otp

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah.

It's also worth noting a substantial chunk of SBR's page count was dedicated to the "Final" battle, around which most plot threads converged early on. While I doubt Jojolion will have a similarly involved final confrontation, it's worth keeping in mind for overall length estimates.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I was dancing around the whole bathroom assault thing above because I've brought it up elsewhere as a reason to hate him, only to be textually shouted down by internet babies whining about how Joshuu didn't know what was going on or some equally lovely excuse. Even if he somehow manages to redeem himself overall, I will always dislike him for that. (Though also for having one of the worst haircuts and most punch-able default expressions in the entire series.)

It's due near the start of December, I believe.

Nice! Another thing to look forward to next month along with the new chapter.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah.

It's also worth noting a substantial chunk of SBR's page count was dedicated to the "Final" battle, around which most plot threads converged early on. While I doubt Jojolion will have a similarly involved final confrontation, it's worth keeping in mind for overall length estimates.

I can't wait for Gappy's 20 chapter fight with Barack Obama and his stand 「Dream On」

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Joshuu is not a good person and I laugh when bad things happen to him - melting into the sink excepted cause ouch dude.

I wish he was more like Jobin, but really that could be said of anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

joshuu is definitely a shithead but i guess a mild thing in his favor is that he's a shithead mostly from being really loving clueless and/or basically a spoiled kid.

basically anyone getting drained into a sink is horrid though, yeah.