Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Thanks, looks like I got one of the last five. Great stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Grabbed one as well. I could always use more Jazz Sabbath in my life.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Good news for anyone who thought that Mike Lorenz record was limited to 50 copies, wanted one, and didn't buy it. It's actually a 250-copy run, and they just didn't mention that the 'limited to 50' copies were pre-release orders. Crushing news for anyone who bought it based on the rarity, I'm sure.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Darthemed posted:

Good news for anyone who thought that Mike Lorenz record was limited to 50 copies, wanted one, and didn't buy it. It's actually a 250-copy run, and they just didn't mention that the 'limited to 50' copies were pre-release orders. Crushing news for anyone who bought it based on the rarity, I'm sure.

B-b-but my discogs listing...

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Darthemed posted:

And here I am, an idiot who thought it would be worth millions some day.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Well if you look at it as Mike lorenz records per capita in the US, . 000008 per citizen is pretty exclusive.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

At least he didn't spell it "fwends"

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This is a lot better than it has any right to be.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the high-compliance pick-up on a tonearm designed solely for DJ use :smugmrgw:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm the high-compliance pick-up on a tonearm designed solely for DJ use :smugmrgw:

Allow me to add to the impracticality of it all by placing a hard shell dust cover on top of it while playing. :smugbert:

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Classic!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
That big hole in the back makes it seem like it defeats the purpose of having a dust cover.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
That's so the music can get out!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

That big hole in the back makes it seem like it defeats the purpose of having a dust cover.

Wanna bet the whole thing is designed so poorly that if there was no hole, the counter-weight would catch on the lid?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wanna bet the whole thing is designed so poorly that if there was no hole, the counter-weight would catch on the lid?

That is clearly the case in that picture.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

That is clearly the case in that picture.

QED

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
But seriously, why is the tonearm so short? Wouldn't that cause terrible distortion at the beginning and end of every album?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ShotgunWillie posted:

But seriously, why is the tonearm so short? Wouldn't that cause terrible distortion at the beginning and end of every album?

It does. But it tracks well when U SCRATCH LIKE A MAD oval office.

e: Or rather it doesn't skip as "easily" as the standard S-shaped tonearm.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Can't you just mount the cart at an angle to fix that?

I have an old Pioneer TT with a straight arm but the headshell is at an angle and it sounds pretty good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boinks posted:

I have an old Pioneer TT with a straight arm but the headshell is at an angle and it sounds pretty good.

Straight tonearm <> STR8 tonearm.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

This is a lot better than it has any right to be.

This seems to be the sentiment of most everyone who has received their copy, which pleases me.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Boinks posted:

It's a LONGER straight tone arm. If you put an angle on that thing, it would read half the record sideways.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Got a bunch of stuff in the mail this week. Also, Imgur seems to have cut off the sides of the gatefold pics after I edited them for some reason.

Manos. Already been posted, but I got mine, too! Also, no one posted this hot view of the rear.

False - Untitled. Really good black metal out of Wisconsin.

Obsequiae - Suspended in the Brume of Eos. Medieval-tinged black metal from the Minnesota coldscape. Not the masterpiece that their newest album is, but still great.

Serial Hawk - Searching for Light. Big old doom from Seattle.

Forn - The Departure of Consciousness. Bleak, sludgy doom from my side of the country.

Bell Witch - Four Phantoms. Music to play at your funeral. Glad this finally made it to vinyl. Seattle again. PNW makes some good dark music.

Dead to a Dying World - Litany. Blackish apocalyptic doom from Texas. Has viola in it. I like this album a lot. I think it's a big step-up from their first one.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 13, 2015

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ShotgunWillie posted:

I've never noticed any real distortion, tbh. It is a DJ turntable that I've obviously repurposed for casual soundtrack listening. It's an older discontinued model though, so finding a replacement, s-shaped tonearm is difficult.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait - people have already received their Mani? Where's my tracking number?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Detective Thompson posted:

Got a bunch of stuff in the mail this week. Also, Imgur seems to have cut off the sides of the gatefold pics after I edited them for some reason.

Dead to a Dying World - Litany. Blackish apocalyptic doom from Texas. Has viola in it. I like this album a lot. I think it's a big step-up from their first one.

God drat Tofu Carnage does baller rear end packaging and pressings.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This might be the most ridiculous album I got today, and I just got my copy of Manos: The Hands of Fate in the mail, too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Here are some track titles off of LP #7, 195 Orgasms:

3) Moons Over Your Hammy
24) Offal for Lunch, Woo-Hoo for Dinner
64) Brassy, Bald and Ejaculating
77) No Shirt, No Shoes - Service
147) Gene Simmons Crying in a Pile of poo poo
149) Rooting for Truffles, Miami Style
185) Have Your Report on My Dick in the Morning

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

God drat Tofu Carnage does baller rear end packaging and pressings.

They really do. I have the first Dead to a Dying World album and it's a great presentation, and a buddy has a few other Tofu releases and they are great.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Seattle's So Pitted have their debut up for preorder. They were just signed to Sub Pop which is a pretty cool thing. They play a ton of shows and I always see them as a supporting band so I'm glad to see they got picked up.

https://sopitted.bandcamp.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEjPyQogGgc

Liam, the drummer, plays in the Fabulous Downey Brothers which is mainly him and his brother Sean. They opened for the B-52s and have one of the most entertaining live shows I have ever seen. They are more Devo/Cardiacs, zolo. The video gives you a good taste of the variety of their costumes. They put out an album earlier this year too.

https://fabulousdowneybrothers.bandcamp.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRZkwvhQxA

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
We're naming bands after viral videos now?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
They could have done a lot worse. In fact, I think it sets up their music pretty well. It's ugly, angry music, but it's they are not all serious. Having that reference sort of enforces that it's not to be taken too seriously.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Monday_ posted:

We're naming bands after viral videos now?

What?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJdF8DJ70Dc

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Remember when Amazon had that glitch in their buy-2-get-1 promo that let you buy-1-get-1? That was back in June and I think Amazon got the last laugh because my copy of Ill Communication is still backordered. :v:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Light in the Attic is reissuing This Heat's studio discography. Official This Heat Facebook mentioned Camberwell Now reissues are in the pipeline too! :getin:

http://lightintheattic.net/artists/1292-this-heat

Dream of Janney
Aug 25, 2013

Corsi Enthusiast

wa27 posted:

Remember when Amazon had that glitch in their buy-2-get-1 promo that let you buy-1-get-1? That was back in June and I think Amazon got the last laugh because my copy of Ill Communication is still backordered. :v:

I've always wondered if the "we'll alert you when we get more" products ever actually change from that status.

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

caligulamprey posted:

Light in the Attic is reissuing This Heat's studio discography. Official This Heat Facebook mentioned Camberwell Now reissues are in the pipeline too! :getin:

http://lightintheattic.net/artists/1292-this-heat

So glad this is finally happening. Prices for "Deceit" were way too high on Discogs and I've wanted a copy of that album for a while now. It's probably in my top 20 somewhere...

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Picked up some new albums yesterday. Yay new vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Posted this in the Dropsy thread the other day:

It's really, really good. If you haven't played the game, you can listen to it here and pick up a copy while they're still available.

I also have a picture of the record spinning on my turntable but you guys have made me ashamed of my setup. :saddowns: