Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm not liking what I'm hearing from the Nintendo NX leaks, system sounds like it's going to be a pile of poo poo. And it's mostly because they're attaching a bunch of poo poo to a game consoel instead of just releasing a regular game console.

Kind of like how the steam controller failed to be a good controller or a good alternative to a KB&M

So wait what are the leaks saying it's gonna be like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Dying light is 50% off this weekend on steam. worth getting or nah

it's good

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

axleblaze posted:

Another Nintendo console full of infuriating design decisions

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just realized I was responding to taint reaper so I withdraw my question.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

axleblaze posted:

Please check who you're quoting

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Please check who you're quoting

Please check like two posts above.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm a busy man and don't have time to actually read things

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Another Nintendo console full of infuriating design decisions

nintendo is cool and good and i look forwards to lots of whiny hand-wringing about how weird and bad those japs are at video games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I used to think my gamepad just couldn't get signal from my bedroom but today I tried moving the wii u over a few feet and can now enjoy clear consistent classics from bed. I am excited to embark on this new adventure into the realm of comfy gaming tonight

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

icantfindaname posted:

nintendo is cool and good and i look forwards to lots of whiny hand-wringing about how weird and bad those japs are at video games

Uh friend, Sony is a Japanese company.

30 million Playstation 4's sold, not shipped, not manufactured, but sold to consumers.

8 million of Fallout 4's 12 Million copies sold were on Playstation 4.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

Nintendo hasn't made a hardware innovation that was all that good since the analog stick. There is an argument to be made for touch screens but that probably would have happened without them and it's done about equal amounts good and bad anyways. They make some cool games though :kiddo:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

axleblaze posted:

Nintendo hasn't made a hardware innovation that was all that good since the analog stick. There is an argument to be made for touch screens but that probably would have happened without them and it's done about equal amounts good and bad anyways. They make some cool games though :kiddo:

Gyroscope aiming is pretty cool, though underutilized

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

axleblaze posted:

they practically made local 4-player gaming standard hth

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mak0rz posted:

they practically made local 4-player gaming standard hth

Actually that was Rare and Acclaim who was the first to successfully use the N64 for multiplayer games, Turok and Goldeneye was the biggest deal ever for the system.

Mario kart 64 did have 4 player but as you can see from later installments they turned the focus away from same room 4 player matches and yet Mario party still does not have online. Nintendo did not use 4 player games until mario party and Super Smash brothers. The Defining years of Nintendo 64's multiplayer games that set the standard were all done by other companies. Smash brothers came out around the end of the system's life span in 1999. The Dreamcast would launch a few months later followed by the Playstation 2 the year after.

In other words Nintendo with no significant second or third party support sucks balls. Because it wasn't Nintendo that put N64 on the map. Mario 64 came with it out of the gate and people were impressed but it was Rare and the other companies that built upon it and made it an actual contender, instead of joke like the later systems were.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 22, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I almost got my taint reaped because I can't keep up with the ever changing avatar.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adam Bowen posted:

I almost got my taint reaped because I can't keep up with the ever changing avatar.

yeah the drunk simpsons one is fine, but I would get really mad if someone bought me a pony or an anime avatar. I would probably throw something at the wall in disgust.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

axleblaze posted:

Couldn't you say the same thing about the analog stick? It's a pretty obvious thing to make once you move to 3D, and joysticks and such had already existed. The touchscreen/dualscreen thing is a better innovation for Nintendo personally, because it resulted in a system that people actually bought, unlike the N64 and it's ultra-fragile stick.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

Couldn't you say the same thing about the analog stick? It's a pretty obvious thing to make once you move to 3D, and joysticks and such had already existed. The touchscreen/dualscreen thing is a better innovation for Nintendo personally, because it resulted in a system that people actually bought, unlike the N64 and it's ultra-fragile stick.

The Dual Shock is what popularized the analog stick. Because mind you the Sega Saturn had an analog stick controller as well. Dual Shock's design also persists to this day and is very popular.

In fact every system that has used the dualshock has never sold under 30 million units.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

As I said, I just think the touch screen is used for as many terrible ideas as good and the dual screen after all these years still feels mostly useless to me with an occasional slight convenience I wouldn't notice if it wasn't there. The analog stick is just a thing that works and doesn't really have a down side. The only bad thing about it was that Nintendo introduced it on a lovely controller and didn't think that two of them would be an even better idea

The other thing I'm getting at was that a lot of portable tech was trying to do stylus stuff before the DS so even if it didn't exist it's likely the iPhone would still be a thing, while with analog sticks both Sega and Sony were trying to make 3D games around not needing them and the N64 kind of made them need to adjust fast.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 22, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

In fact every system that has used the dualshock has never sold under 30 million units.

I know I shouldn't bother responding but you're proven wrong by the PSTV and the Vita (sorta)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

axleblaze posted:

I know I shouldn't bother responding but you're proven wrong by the PSTV and the Vita (sorta)

PSTV is a stripped down vita, it doesn't count. Now if PSTV was the default console then it would(and would also have it's own version of the controller instead of piggybacking on the Dual Shock 3 and 4). The regular Vita does not use the dual shock controller.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Adam Bowen posted:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The best usage of Dual Screen i've used is the Pip-boy for Fallout 4

Modi1024
Nov 15, 2012
How did you set up fallout to use both screen?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Modi1024 posted:

How did you set up fallout to use both screen?

There's an app for phones/tablets that links to your game and you use it as a pip-boy.

Anyone who thinks that dual monitors is good for gaming is in denial imo.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Taint Reaper posted:

yeah the drunk simpsons one is fine, but I would get really mad if someone bought me a pony or an anime avatar. I would probably throw something at the wall in disgust.

Hey, wait a minute, this sounds like bait.....

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I am amused that the death knell of gaming journalism did not come from some politically charged hub, but from a simple team of lawyers hired by Hulk Hogan.

Hulkamania is a menace that strikes in the night.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Wait, what?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ekster posted:

Wait, what?
[nodding solemnly] Taint reaped... again.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ekster posted:

Wait, what?

Gawker owns a bunch of websites including videogame ones

Legal Hulkamania is shutting gawker down because they broke many rules, and now their bones shall be broken in the name of justice.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ekster posted:

Wait, what?

Gawker owns Kotaku, which Taint Reaper thinks is all of the gaming websites, and Gawker recently blamed some layoffs in part on Hulkster's ongoing lawsuit against them over something having to do with a sex tape. In other words, Taint Reaper is dumb.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Literally fits of hulkamania right now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Taint Reaper is dumb.

if he was dumb he wouldn't have such a huge collection of reaped taints

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Real hurthling! posted:

if he was dumb he wouldn't have such a huge collection of reaped taints

You can be dumb but still be smarter than lots of people

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My cat's dumb as hell but he still trolls me sometimes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Ignore lists are cool and good and using them is infinitely less spergy than maintaining an encyclopedic knowledge of whether or not every poster worth listening to.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Taint reaping is an act of pure biology, it is no more an indicator of intelligence than leaves growing towards the sunlight.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The Taint Reaper mixes truth with lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted: