Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yup, unrolled is a nice way to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KRGi17Xg0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a trick to finely chopping a bell pepper? Should I unroll it, so to speak?

This is what I do. Lob off the top and bottom and just lay it down flat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a trick to finely chopping a bell pepper? Should I unroll it, so to speak?

Yeah, the unroll method is what I use, then you just slice and dice. A very sharp knife is really important here because the skin can be a PITA with anything less.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Steve Yun posted:

I want to make Kenji's stuffing waffles for thanksgiving, but I have a Muslim guest. What's a good replacement for sausage?

I looked at turkey sausage at the grocery, and one brand said it had pork casings which is immediately out. Another said it had "collagen" casings. Is that synthetic?

Is ground turkey any different from turkey sausage?

We made the same recipe with mushrooms and sage last year and it was pretty fantastic. Takes the guesswork out of it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"Continue to do this until you have no more courage"

God Yan cracks me up sometimes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a good mashed yams recipe? I'm going to be cooking a ton for Thanksgiving, and I want to get my ducks in a row early-ish. I've seen some recipes saying to bake them, some to boil them. I'm seeing some that recommend maple syrup, even. I'd prefer to get the natural sweetness if possible, without adding much, if any, additional sweetness.

I'm not doing the yams with marshmallows thing, because that's gross. (countdown to guy who doesn't like sweet potatoes/yams saying it will be gross anyway)

I'm also making green bean casserole. Is Alton Brown's recipe here a good one to go with?

I also want to try making a Christmas turkey next month, because my family has an Italian christmas, which means two lasagnas and a spaghetti with meatballs. I'd really like to offer some variety, especially because the lasagnas are frequently not very good. Where would I buy a turkey when it's not Thanksgiving? I only ever see them in the store that time of year.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a good mashed yams recipe? I'm going to be cooking a ton for Thanksgiving, and I want to get my ducks in a row early-ish. I've seen some recipes saying to bake them, some to boil them. I'm seeing some that recommend maple syrup, even. I'd prefer to get the natural sweetness if possible, without adding much, if any, additional sweetness.

I'm not doing the yams with marshmallows thing, because that's gross. (countdown to guy who doesn't like sweet potatoes/yams saying it will be gross anyway)

I'm also making green bean casserole. Is Alton Brown's recipe here a good one to go with?

I also want to try making a Christmas turkey next month, because my family has an Italian christmas, which means two lasagnas and a spaghetti with meatballs. I'd really like to offer some variety, especially because the lasagnas are frequently not very good. Where would I buy a turkey when it's not Thanksgiving? I only ever see them in the store that time of year.

Hey, we have a thread for you http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752087 and I answered your questions there.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 20, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sorry. I saw that thread and at the time it was all gift cooking suggestions. I'll crosspost there.

E: you already did, thanks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't want to open a can of anchovies for a little umami boost in a recipe, I feel like I should be able to substitute fish sauce. Anybody done this? How much would you use to replace an anchovy fillet?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I can't speak on fish sauce but you can buy tubes of anchovy paste that you can squeeze out a little bit of, works great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can't in China, and I also am doing this today. :v: That's mainly why I don't want to open a can, canned anchovies are expensive foreign luxury food here.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't want to open a can of anchovies for a little umami boost in a recipe, I feel like I should be able to substitute fish sauce. Anybody done this? How much would you use to replace an anchovy fillet?

you could get a tube of anchovy paste.

I've subbed fish sauce for anchovies. maybe four drops per filet?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've subbed in fish sauce but just used it 'to taste' so no real clue how much it was as I was also trying not to oversalt things.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cool, I usually don't measure it either I mainly wanted to sanity check it. It seemed to make sense.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I splash fish sauce in all the time in place of anchovy. Just splash some in it'll be fine.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Most fish sauce is anchovy juice anyways

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I want to roast a leg of lamb today, it weighs about a pound, and the process seems to be:

1) Season the lamb
2) Sear the lamb in a frying pan
3) Roast at 320F until inner temperature is 135F, should take about 30 minutes
4) Wrap in foil and rest for 10 minutes

I also want to do the thing where you stud the lamb with sprigs of rosemary and bits of garlic, wrapped in anchovies. Question is: Should I do that before or after searing the lamb in a frying pan?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Before.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

You can't in China, and I also am doing this today. :v: That's mainly why I don't want to open a can, canned anchovies are expensive foreign luxury food here.

Just out of curiosity, I bet stuff like cheese and wine is expensive hipster food over there?

When I first started cooking years ago I was surprised to find out that fresh milk is really hard to get in many places in Asia.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If I'm making a stuffing, is crumbled sausage better to put in uncooked or browned?

I assume it's probably good to have the fat rendering out into the stuffing instead of in a pan, but I can just include the drippings back into the stuffing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I e always browned it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ekster posted:

Just out of curiosity, I bet stuff like cheese and wine is expensive hipster food over there?

When I first started cooking years ago I was surprised to find out that fresh milk is really hard to get in many places in Asia.

Yeah, but there are places to get relatively cheap cheese and wine too, which is nice. Fresh milk is everywhere but good milk is tough to get.

Early Thanksgiving went well, thanks for advice goons.

I got Chinese people greatly enjoying rare duck breast and grits. :buddy:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 21, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I e always browned it

Seems like that would up the complexity of the flavor. I'm going with this.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I made a Tikka Masala curry according to this recipe and it turned out well, although she uses far too much tomato paste in my opinion and I suspect chicken thighs would be better. I haven't made Indian curries in ages however, and I was wondering how you get rid of cardemom pods after you're done. It was really soft by the time I was trying to get them out but I couldn't find them. So now when I eat it I get this huge cardemom hit once in a while which I don't like. Same deal with cloves, although that's less of a deal breaker to me.

Could I put them in a tea infuser ball next time I use small spices like that?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

If I'm making a stuffing, is crumbled sausage better to put in uncooked or browned?

I assume it's probably good to have the fat rendering out into the stuffing instead of in a pan, but I can just include the drippings back into the stuffing.

I brown it and use the fat / drippings in the gravy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Thanks.

Okay, I was making ice cream. During the custard-making process, I got some curdling.

I strained the custard through a fine mesh strainer, to remove all the curdled bits.

Can I still use this? Did I gently caress it up?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's fine. It might take on a minor eggy taste depending on how much you curdled but it's fine.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's a strongly-flavored ice cream so I hope it won't be too bad.

The only thing is I lost a lot of liquid mass when I strained out the curdles, fingers crossed it doesn't mess up the final product.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A little while CdC mentioned using xanthan gum to rescue a split sauce... How exactly do you do this, and how does it work?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I cook with a lot of canned fish. What are some hardier sardine/mackerel varieties that will retain their shape and won't disintegrate when tossed in pasta or sauteed with veggies? Usually I go with King Oscar's in regular old EVOO but they still break apart too easily, maybe some bacalou or brined fish would work better?

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 22, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I make this Kofta recipe fairly often: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/106030/kofta-kebabs/

It specifies to mash the garlic into a paste with some salt. Is this really necessary? Is it just for better dispersion throughout the meat?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

A little while CdC mentioned using xanthan gum to rescue a split sauce... How exactly do you do this, and how does it work?

Whisk it in a little at a time and try not to turn your sauce into glue

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Scientastic posted:

Add a small amount, throw it in the blender.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Make sure your liquid is cold. Xanthum gum doesn't do well with hot dispersion.

And seriously use like .25% by weight. Maybe less. It doesn't take much.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Is there an app that's good for keeping stock of a pantry?

Say, something where I can keep a tally of what ingredients I have and what amount, with an easy way to tick off "I just used this poo poo" or "I just bought some more"

Especially if it allows categorization or priority listing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
For me a whiteboard on the inside of the door is easiest... some things are better low tech imo

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I just have a constant minimum stock of essentials like coconut milk, canned tomatos, etc. and I just add them to my Google Keep grocery list as soon as I use them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

me your dad posted:

I make this Kofta recipe fairly often: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/106030/kofta-kebabs/

It specifies to mash the garlic into a paste with some salt. Is this really necessary? Is it just for better dispersion throughout the meat?
Doesn't the cinnamon overpower a lot of the other flavors? That looks like a lot, relatively.

The salt helps to grind down more finely the garlic, which releases more of its juices and flavor. What are you doing now? If you don't like a strong garlic taste, don't mash it. If you do, mash the hell out of it.

Salt basically serves to provide a little sandpapery friction when you mash into a paste. Use or don't use salt when pasting, you don't have to. As a seasoning, you would salt later, anyway.

Most times, I like to do Jacques Pepin's method in the video below, which is to mash and chop - and yes, that's for a much better dispersion throughout a dish. When you mash garlic, it will take on a slightly more bitter taste in addition to having a stronger garlic presence, but adding other seasonings like salt will remove that bitterness. I don't know the science behind enzyme reactions, so anything I'd have to add regarding that would be old science reports and old wives' tales - waiting a few minutes after crushing it seems to amplify the flavor a little bit, in my opinion, at least. I do know, however, that for best garlic results, flavorwise, you want to not brown it but merely tan it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5h1pDHhzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZ6jaiSa60

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 22, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

pile of brown posted:

For me a whiteboard on the inside of the door is easiest... some things are better low tech imo

Unfortunately I'm unable to reference a whiteboard at the store.

Jan posted:

I just have a constant minimum stock of essentials like coconut milk, canned tomatos, etc. and I just add them to my Google Keep grocery list as soon as I use them.

I, too, have such a stock! That's what I'm looking to keep track of. I'll take this as a recommendation for Google Keep?

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I use Google keep as a grocery list, I can share it with my wife too. Just wish it had Google now integration, so I could add things with a voice command.

Two for Google Keep, I'll look into it! Thanks!

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I use Google keep as a grocery list, I can share it with my wife too. Just wish it had Google now integration, so I could add things with a voice command.