Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Having weird issues with my server. Stats indicate the server is running at 1.00 simulation speed, yet around the base the local simulation speed is at 0.70. So I loaded the save in singleplayer and the same spot is running happily at 1.00.

The weird thing is that the server doesn't care, its the LOCAL speed that is hosed for some reason. Or maybe I'm misunderstand local vs server simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Rhjamiz posted:

Is it worth the price? I've been eying it but the fact that it looked like an obvious cash grab riding SE's coat tails made me wary.

It's got a solid start on the survival experience, unlike Space Engineers. I feel like it's slightly more feature-complete than SE was when I bought it two years ago, but there are obvious gaps at the moment (eg no oxygen filling of enclosed compartments yet, doesn't appear to be any kind of conveyor system yet). Each game makes me realise what the other is lacking, in a way.

SliceofVice did a good run-down of the pros and cons. Whether or not you think it's worth it is up to you, but it's on sale for $12 until the 26th.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Ugh. Building in gravity sucks. :( I'm used to building everything in zero-G, so trying to make vehicles planetside is killing me (sometimes literally).

On the other hand, a proper garage with welder arms and car lifts could be a boon, and I'd like to try making one sometime.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
After looking at it in the editor you can start on any easy start planet while still being able to venture to the other planets. Asteroids are all still there as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They really need to do something about resources. Out of 11 mineables there's only one (Mg) not necessary for the most basic space ship construction and operation.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Tried the small ship mega mod pack

Nah, but will check out. Thanks.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
The Gravel Resource Extractor thing that was shared earlier in the thread is working out really nicely for us on our Dedicated Server. It's the first mod we've ever used, and it's really making the start a smoother experience. Be warned that it has pretty significant power draw.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

XkyRauh posted:

The Gravel Resource Extractor thing that was shared earlier in the thread is working out really nicely for us on our Dedicated Server. It's the first mod we've ever used, and it's really making the start a smoother experience. Be warned that it has pretty significant power draw.
That looks usef... It needs nickel and cobalt to build, and not just the grids you could get from dismantling the med bay.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

They really need to do something about resources. Out of 11 mineables there's only one (Mg) not necessary for the most basic space ship construction and operation.

What's even more hilarious is that the starter tools require nickel, magnesium, cobalt, silicon, gold (and iron). Good thing the Medbay can make them out of pure electricity.

Or you can disassemble those tools in the assembler. One grinder should give one each of Iron, Nickel, Cobalt and Silicon. Backspace lets you kill yourself. What you do with this information is none of my business.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Various posted:

What's even more hilarious is that the starter tools require nickel, magnesium, cobalt, silicon, gold (and iron). Good thing the Medbay can make them out of pure electricity.

Or you can disassemble those tools in the assembler. One grinder should give one each of Iron, Nickel, Cobalt and Silicon. Backspace lets you kill yourself. What you do with this information is none of my business.

Space Engineers; A game where goons telling you to kill yourself is actually beneficial advice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Space Engineers: Kill Yourself for a Nickel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SelenicMartian posted:

Space Engineers: Kill Yourself for (a) Nickel.

edit:

I shifted some lateral thrusters about, and now my shuttles can now carry the Hawk's recon probes, decoys and missile launcher pods. I think I accidentally made a Raptor to go with my Battlestar :ohdear:.

Also fixed it so the Warbler recon drones work in planetary gravity. There's a laser antenna on the back, so you just hook it up via radio to your ship's laser array before sending it off/down to poke at a site on a planet from up high.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 22, 2015

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Verizian posted:

I think that's why they patched in the ability to place blocks from the construction cockpit. Can anyone recommend a good blueprint for atmospheric construction craft?

I just slapped a cockpit and 12 small atmo thrusters(2 each direction) on a battery for 6DoF building, but it flies like poo poo. It barely has enough thrust to lift you + a little cargo of steel plates, but it gives me 0g flight construction in the early starts. Of course, it doesn't have a welder on board, so you still have to come back with a proper welder ship or do it by hand. If I can get it to either fit into a 1x1 large ship hole or give it enough thrust to be more useful I'll upload it, but it's easy enough to build on your own. Be warned, it drops like a rock. Cut out 2 of the 4 lateral thrusters gives you great weight savings, you just have to remember to not hover while sideways.

Grasshopper v1.0

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

If we're posting weldships, I just went with a variation of my usual drillpig.

Not shown: One large upward thruster in the back, behind the battery and welders are a conveyor block and two curved conveyors connecting the three inventories. No cargo capacity beyond what goes in the welder, grinder, connector and cockpit, which is enough for my purposes.

Downsides: 30 minutes of flight, doesn't hover sideways. Needs that ramp to reach the cockpit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Here's my welder thing:

Dock is on the other side:

I built it before I knew how to build from inside the cockpit though, so I'll have to make a new one that's connected to the conveyor...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Might be a bug with the space spiders too as they do hardly any damage.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm building a mountain base in creative right now (because I'm lazy) and it's a pain in the rear end. I'm running into a bug involving airtight hangar doors. When I try to stick them into the ceiling and floor to make a nice door for my tunnel, occasionally the blocks I delete to make room can't be replaced.

The whole floor area used to be covered with blocks no problem. After deleting the blocks there, they can't be replaced. The effect is two blocks wide and apparently infinitely deep. I can put blocks above it, but nothing below. There are no apparent blockages and yes, the whole structure is together and was never separated.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

In other news, which one of you nerds posted this? http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/spacebutt.7374520/

Speaking of nerds, do we have an IRC channel to talk shop in? I tried #spaceengineers on SynIrc but no beans.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

Here's my welder thing:

Dock is on the other side:

I built it before I knew how to build from inside the cockpit though, so I'll have to make a new one that's connected to the conveyor...

You're better off with a connector on the base than the side if you can manage it. Makes it much easier to land and align your ship to the connector. Plus the pull of it will keep your ship in place and upright.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Darth Various posted:

Speaking of nerds, do we have an IRC channel to talk shop in? I tried #spaceengineers on SynIrc but no beans.

We don't, but we should. I blame Neddy.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Logikv9 posted:

The whole floor area used to be covered with blocks no problem. After deleting the blocks there, they can't be replaced. The effect is two blocks wide and apparently infinitely deep. I can put blocks above it, but nothing below. There are no apparent blockages and yes, the whole structure is together and was never separated.

I had this and grinding and re-building blocks around the area sometimes fixes things. And sometimes it just makes it worse.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're better off with a connector on the base than the side if you can manage it. Makes it much easier to land and align your ship to the connector. Plus the pull of it will keep your ship in place and upright.

I can connect this super easily by just rotating the view to the side with alt, because I can see one side of it from the cockpit. Plus, in the event of power failure, the ship lands on the armour blocks/cockpits, which are super sturdy. I've lost connectors to gravity before.

e: Also, all my connectors have super low force now since I broke the one on my miner *twice* when slowly approaching and suddenly boom!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhjamiz posted:

We don't, but we should. I blame Neddy.

Make it if you want it, I'll stick it in the OP.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Make it if you want it, I'll stick it in the OP.

It is done.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I tried making a Rod from God (basically dropping a huge spear from orbit). It made a bigger crater in the rod than in the ground, with the former being maybe a 7-block radius hole.

10/10

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The damage model in this game could use some work.

I played around a bit with the the large ship railgun mod, and found that a shot capable of destroying any block in the game could hit an interior light (or similar) and that would soak all the damage. Meanwhile hitting a deformable block would tear a 3x3x3 hole.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

I'm building a mountain base in creative right now (because I'm lazy) and it's a pain in the rear end. I'm running into a bug involving airtight hangar doors. When I try to stick them into the ceiling and floor to make a nice door for my tunnel, occasionally the blocks I delete to make room can't be replaced.

I know what's going on here! Those blocks your deleting are separating the other blocks from the main grid you're working on. Those other separated blocks become their own seperate station, and so if you try to build next to it those other blocks are in the way. To avoid this, either try to keep all the blocks always connected to each other, or when starting a station/base use the universal grid by not pressing b.

VVV- well poo poo

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 23, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Logikv9 posted:

There are no apparent blockages and yes, the whole structure is together and was never separated.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I know what's going on here! ...:words:... ...try to keep all the blocks always connected to each other...

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Man I keep coming back to this drat game ever so often and every single time it's the same experience: Try to get survival going, get frustrated by some finnicky bullshit or other, give up, regret having bothered.

It's so tantalizingly close to something amazing, but it's just far too taxing for my patience just now.

Bugs aside the survival progression is probably the most infuriating part, even before planets (though planets have certainly brought it from "very unpleasant" to "untenable").

I hope eventually there will be a long enough window of stability for a few mods to make this into a more cohesive survival experience.

Creative can be fun I guess but I like my space-lego to have a bit more purpose :/

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

GotLag posted:

The damage model in this game could use some work.

I played around a bit with the the large ship railgun mod, and found that a shot capable of destroying any block in the game could hit an interior light (or similar) and that would soak all the damage. Meanwhile hitting a deformable block would tear a 3x3x3 hole.

So what you're saying is cover the outside of the ship in interior lights?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Bullet damage doesn't extend beyond the first block it hits. Deformable blocks cause damage to things behind them when they deform, or so it seems.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That'll probably be on their roadlist to overhaul, now that the newest big stuff is out the door and just needs bug fixing and refinement.

That said, as cool as it would be to build a ship and then realistically take it apart with weapons or crashing, that'd still be pretty computation intensive, and hell of a stress on multiplayer.

Unless they find a way to model the actions of object on object violence over multiple blocks as part of the same event/action. That may be the cause of lag when that happens, now that I think about it, because you fire a missile, it impacts, and damages the first, block, which damages the second... etc etc.

Maybe they're doing it all sequentially?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

I built it before I knew how to build from inside the cockpit though

Wait, what, how? :stare:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

Check the keyboard binding help in the game. There's one button to toggle the mode that lets you place blocks while sitting in a cockpit.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

You also need to have a component storage connected to the bottom of the cockpit for it to work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bedshaped posted:

Ctrl+G.

Also, turns out my Hawk's Orbital Overboosters actually work perfectly. :peanut:

They have enough fuel and thrust to get the fighter from the ground to high enough that its own Industrial Thrusters could keep it going straight-up away from the planet, instead of having to fly at a shallow angle.

Releasing it may have caused it to ding off one of the tail thrusters due to my own piloting incompetence though :ohdear:. Also updated it by swapping half the belly thrusters for atmospheric ones so it can actually fly over planets for longer than a few minutes before the hydrogen fuel runs out and it attempts a subterranean landing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HardDisk posted:

You also need to have a component storage connected to the bottom of the cockpit for it to work.

This, or just bring an inventory full of steel plates and a couple construction components/interior plates. It's what I'm doing while I get around to fixing my welder.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I've been playing around with small ships and it appears that on a small ship, the load bearing capacity of a Large Atmospheric Thruster at or near sealevel is approximately 160,000KG@1G. Use this information as necessary when devising drillships. Please also note that exceeding this weight limit can have interesting effects on the ships ability to stay airborne, USE GENTLE DESCENT INPUTS. I've found 2 medium containers, 1 Large Reactor, 2 LATs (UP), 4 Drills, a connector and 4Rev, 2FWD and 2Side/perside works pretty well until you can make it into larger vessels

Edit: It's also apparently possible for meteors to impact THROUGH the planet, do not place anything important on the first meter or so on the ground.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 24, 2015

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
A buddy and I have been spending entirely too much time on a Monorail system that runs across Mars and burrows deep into the volcano. Planets and gravity have added a new layer of difficulty when it comes to placing objects onto other objects, but when it works it's magical. Ill post a video when we finish the entire thing, but there is still more work to do on the turnstiles and crane that lowers cars onto the monorail l.

This game can easily absorb weekends...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

What's the best way to set up batteries? How many recharging or discharging and assuming full sun how many solar panels per battery is optimal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
They should have no boxes ticked.

This way, they're semi-auto, and will recharge or discharge based on the input and output load.

IE, if no refineries are running, they'll start auto charging immediately, but turn the refineries on and they'll start to discharge immediately, but will switch back to charging the moment there is excess power.

One of the better QoL updates they added, imo.

More panels is always better than less.

Edit 1: The number of panels per battery is contingent of the load you intend to extract from them during the non-charging period (Night).

Are you charging a dozen craft with large battery reserves while a refinery/assembly setup grinds away through the night? How much you're consuming is relevant to the equation. You're going to want a dozen or so batteries, with enough panels to always maintain at least a slight positive charge through out the whole process at maximum intended load.

Edit 2: This way, through out the day, the excess charge should build up the batteries to full, while still providing enough power to all equipment and tasks. In essence, once you know what you intend to power, you can do a simple Power Draw per Second x Duration of Night = Required Stockpile / Battery Capacity.

I think my peusdo math is right, I have not had any coffee.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 24, 2015

• Locked thread