Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a table of precision strike effects out there somewhere? The only effect I can get consistently is reduced speed with leg shots. I managed to headshot an enemy into wandering randomly around only once, and that's with half my team constantly headshotting just for shits and giggles since their chance to hit is so high. I've never seen a weapon destroyed with an arm shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The second half being buggier but much better realized than the first half makes me wonder if the design got changed midway through but they couldn't scrap what they did with Arizona so they got stuck with it.

There are wells to top up your water canteens all over the second half so that clearly happened to some degree.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is there a table of precision strike effects out there somewhere? The only effect I can get consistently is reduced speed with leg shots. I managed to headshot an enemy into wandering randomly around only once, and that's with half my team constantly headshotting just for shits and giggles since their chance to hit is so high. I've never seen a weapon destroyed with an arm shot.

Body shots damage armor to varying degrees. But yeah, I'd love a damned chart of "here are effects, and their status impact" and not wonder what "dazed" or "BSOD" means exactly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Body shots damage armor to varying degrees. But yeah, I'd love a damned chart of "here are effects, and their status impact" and not wonder what "dazed" or "BSOD" means exactly.

Body shots reduce armour.
Leg shots reduce speed.
Arm shots reduce accuracy (and can actually destroy the enemy's weapon).

Those are fairly self-explanatory and there are multiple levels of each debuff.

Headshots produced 'dazed' effects but I have literally no idea what that does.

The other thing to remember is that Body, leg, and arm shots do reduced damage, whereas headshots do increased damage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I guess people clamored to be able to target limbs, but in practice only headshots are generally useful, same as pre‐DC, except that now headshots are just better because they don’t cost extra AP and can inflict debuffs.

Most enemies die in relatively few hits even on the higher difficulties. If there are a lot of enemies, it’s better to focus fire on a few of them and take those down before they can attack again then it is to try to cripple all of them.

The only time I really broke from this was the Slicer Dicers at the Abandoned Railway. They have a lot of armour and a lot of HP, so it makes sense to give them some status effects in the first round so they’re more manageable in the next few.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Heh, I was wondering about that. I also missed the check, thanks to reloading and speeding through the dialogue the second time. So there are normal lines as well?

If that's the case, holy poo poo, that's a lot of work for one little detail.
Yeah, same thing happened with me. If you don't talk to her before freeing her she will chat with you but then not join. What a :thatswasteland2: moment that was.

From what I understand, if you carefully go through her dialogue you reveal that she is actually just a trader who uses the NA thing as a sales gimmick and she will have a fairly different set of barks/etc. for the whole rest of the game.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

I guess people clamored to be able to target limbs, but in practice only headshots are generally useful, same as pre‐DC, except that now headshots are just better because they don’t cost extra AP and can inflict debuffs.

Later on in the game, I found hitting enemies with body shots really handy. Unless everyone has high armor piercing weapons, the armor reduction can really speed up killing the target. Arm and Leg shots do seem worthless though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've had arm shots destroy enemy weapons occasionally but not reliably enough to make it worth doing

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A 50 or even 25% aim debuff is enough to effectively take a sniper out of the fight. Likewise I found leg shots useful on those early AZ fights where there's like 6 of those giant lizards all at once.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I very recently finished the DC. I likes that at the end of LA, they didn't have a Scorpitron fight along with the Dugan battle, followed almost immediately by another throwaway one when you return to Ranger HQ. Though, for whatever reason, it didn't really attack at the end of my game, but maybe that's because I overwhelmed it with attacks by my allies before its actual combat turn came up. Conversely, though, the spoilered change took a lot of wind out of the narrative drama. They should have done a slightly more in-depth rethinking of that.

I agree with the people who say that Arizona and LA feel like two games welded together. I also felt that it would have been much better to flip the sequence around - LA first (Rangers on recon, or poo poo, what about some kind of teleportation snafu from some machine in the depths of Darwin Village?), then back to Arizona and all of the first game's locations to save the day. Consider Ag Center; the whole plant and animal freakout definitely seems tied to the overarching nemesis of the game, but it would make more sense in context if we were aware of the nature of the enemy and their plans first. Same for Highpool. Same for a lot of things.

I also think that some things were too overplayed and grimdark in tone. The Rail Nomads feuding amongst themselves is fine, but civil war, starvation, and so on? I think it would have been a lot sillier, more clever, and perhaps more compelling to have them initially holding each others necessary train and track parts hostage, a literal sitcom cliche line being drawn down the middle of the village, and both sides potentially squandering their future potential because they hid their "hostages" in places that are now overrun with bandits and rail thieves (and are maybe caved in with explosives). Bam, combat motivation, there is still room for diplomacy, and with a cave-in scenario blocking access, even the mine down south can get tied in to the story.

Same thing also applies to the Red Skorpion Militia. They could be raiders-going-good, in a fashion, but I think there would have been a lot more interesting plot potential if they weren't so comically evil and if the Rangers weren't so unquestionably "virtuous". I mean, we already see that Rangers can be a mixed bag already (Baychowski and Robert Browning), so having the Rangers be a bit less shiny brass and having a bit more day-to-day tarnish isn't something that should give people the vapors. Two sets of do-gooders, treading on each other's toes and turf and getting into slapfights over it. And if the Rangers were more overt about the relationship they have with surrounding communities (such as getting payments, tithes, and goods in exchange for their services, with attendant consequences for player gear, quests, and so on), then it suddenly matters a lot more that Highpool or Ag Center or whomever decides to side with the Red Skorpions over the Rangers.

Hell, maybe even have the possibility that the player can screw things up so bad that the Rangers stand alone at the end, facing inevitable destruction because they alienated the people they're supposed to help!

In short, I do wonder how much preliminary design Brian Fargo and his crew had laid out before they embarked on their Kickstarter, or if they tried to make it up as they went and ended up with something that, while it's not a bad game per se, certainly one that exhibits a lot of missed potential and disjointedness.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Seriously gently caress that pre-endgame Durgan fight. Not only is that whole plot bit obviously rushed (it's literally the first time you meet or interact with him), but the fight consists of you coming up an elevator into a completely open square and launching straight into a fight in which the first action is typically your first ranger eating two entire minigun bursts and dying.

The final fight was annoying as gently caress with the room layout and synth snipers one-shotting all my guys but at least that one let me set up first.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Gerblyn posted:

Later on in the game, I found hitting enemies with body shots really handy. Unless everyone has high armor piercing weapons, the armor reduction can really speed up killing the target. Arm and Leg shots do seem worthless though.

I've actually found all precision shots pretty handy in different situations. Arm shots are extremely reliable at reducing the damage of burst-fire enemies, a leg shot against a far-off melee enemy will put it out of the fight for a couple turns, body shots reduce armor and that's powerful, and head shots naturally dominate after you've pumped your accuracy high enough. Death is naturally the most powerful status effect, but if you can't kill an enemy before it gets an opportunity to strike, it's never a bad idea to try an arm or leg shot to mitigate the potential damage.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The second half being buggier but much better realized than the first half makes me wonder if the design got changed midway through but they couldn't scrap what they did with Arizona so they got stuck with it.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I wonder if that's the point where Chris Avellone came in. There's a definite increase in quality after the first act.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed the second half a lot more than the first (and I didn't hate the first, Titan's Canyon griping aside). Sure, still lots of running around but it felt a bit more justified, I found the quest lines more engaging, and a lot less needless doom and gloom.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I wonder if that's the point where Chris Avellone came in. There's a definite increase in quality after the first act.

Chris' contributions lie mostly in story brainstorming and work on Agricultural Center/Highpool. What you're seeing is more the natural consequence of how we approached game dev: the first half was built and finalized earlier, meaning it had more polish time, but also meaning lessons learned from building those levels and quests could be applied to the second half. In a way, LA is like a sequel to Arizona.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Brother None posted:

Chris' contributions lie mostly in story brainstorming and work on Agricultural Center/Highpool. What you're seeing is more the natural consequence of how we approached game dev: the first half was built and finalized earlier, meaning it had more polish time, but also meaning lessons learned from building those levels and quests could be applied to the second half. In a way, LA is like a sequel to Arizona.
Having finally gotten to Los Angeles after handing in my dissertation final draft, I agree that it felt like you had just built the awesome expansion pack into the base game.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

In short, I do wonder how much preliminary design Brian Fargo and his crew had laid out before they embarked on their Kickstarter, or if they tried to make it up as they went and ended up with something that, while it's not a bad game per se, certainly one that exhibits a lot of missed potential and disjointedness.
To go with what Brother None said, Brian Fargo and This Guy laid out the crux of the story, like, six years ago, but of course it is hard to say how much of the fundamentals changed from the injection of lots of new ideas from different sources.

Well, not hard to say really as these are probably eminently answerable questions, but you know what I mean.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Ended up with a really weird bug. Computer had a crash and once I got it rebooted and recovered, whenever I load up Wasteland 2, the continue and load options on the menu screen having a nonstop spinning ranger wheel next to them, and are grayed out, as if they're loading. I got pretty far this game and really wanted to finish it, is there any fix or way around this, or am I doomed to just keep restarting W2?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Ended up with a really weird bug. Computer had a crash and once I got it rebooted and recovered, whenever I load up Wasteland 2, the continue and load options on the menu screen having a nonstop spinning ranger wheel next to them, and are grayed out, as if they're loading. I got pretty far this game and really wanted to finish it, is there any fix or way around this, or am I doomed to just keep restarting W2?

Try deleting TOC.txt, which on Windows is in My Games/Wasteland 2/Save Games.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

My heavy-weapons doctor blew up a couple of weapons with bursts from her minigun out in California...although since she also turned her targets into chunky beef stew at the same time, I can't say that it was all that useful.

(The heavy weapons perks are pretty loving amazing, really, especially the one where you get precision shot effects from your bursts. You still spend most of Arizona with crappy machine guns that don't have nearly enough range to be useful in a fight, but once you get out West and get better equipment and get that skill up, holy poo poo.)

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Platystemon posted:

Try deleting TOC.txt, which on Windows is in My Games/Wasteland 2/Save Games.

This worked, thanks!

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Trilobite posted:

My heavy-weapons doctor blew up a couple of weapons with bursts from her minigun out in California...although since she also turned her targets into chunky beef stew at the same time, I can't say that it was all that useful.

(The heavy weapons perks are pretty loving amazing, really, especially the one where you get precision shot effects from your bursts. You still spend most of Arizona with crappy machine guns that don't have nearly enough range to be useful in a fight, but once you get out West and get better equipment and get that skill up, holy poo poo.)

I've finally made it to California myself. I was having fun with all the other weapons in AZ and really disappointed I couldn't find any 7.62 weapons (except one I found just before leaving). Day 1 of California I find out all my super cool guns are pea-shooters compared to what's for sale in the crappy markets. I drained my wallet as soon as that one weapon trader showed up. Now I can't afford bullets for all the 7.62 weapons I just bought and everyone's dragging their feet because they are so heavy.

Basically every fight is my sweaty asthmatic team huffing their way to a position, leaning on trees and broken walls because they are so tired, while my buff guy runs up and waves his arms to get the enemies attention. Then my team volleys a bullet or two each while the one waving his arms swings his blade around like a human windmill. Rinse and Repeat.

I guess I'll be picking that carry perk next time around.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

crashdome posted:

I drained my wallet as soon as that one weapon trader showed up. Now I can't afford bullets for all the 7.62 weapons I just bought and everyone's dragging their feet because they are so heavy.

Basically every fight is my sweaty asthmatic team huffing their way to a position, leaning on trees and broken walls because they are so tired

:america:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

crashdome posted:

I've finally made it to California myself. I was having fun with all the other weapons in AZ and really disappointed I couldn't find any 7.62 weapons (except one I found just before leaving). Day 1 of California I find out all my super cool guns are pea-shooters compared to what's for sale in the crappy markets. I drained my wallet as soon as that one weapon trader showed up. Now I can't afford bullets for all the 7.62 weapons I just bought and everyone's dragging their feet because they are so heavy.

Basically every fight is my sweaty asthmatic team huffing their way to a position, leaning on trees and broken walls because they are so tired, while my buff guy runs up and waves his arms to get the enemies attention. Then my team volleys a bullet or two each while the one waving his arms swings his blade around like a human windmill. Rinse and Repeat.

I guess I'll be picking that carry perk next time around.

One thing I exploit is retrieving the supplies that were stolen from Holladay in the Rail Nomads camp. He gives you a major discount on his goods when you return them, including for 7.62mm ammo, so if you know what's ahead in California (which is that 5.56mm weapons are basically going to be dead-ended) you can stock up on a lot of the ammo type you'll inevitably be switching over to for much cheaper than you would be able to otherwise once you're in California.

The guns in the game are kind of a mixed bag for me. I'm not saying they should have gone all gun-sperg and aimed for maximum reality and all that, but there's a very linear and obvious upgrade path that players are forced to take that makes certain ammo types obsolete. After a certain point, who uses 5.56mm, .38, or .30-06 ammo? There's also the glaring oversight that only snipers have guns that can use .50 caliber ammo, which could have easily been expanded to be of use to heavy weapons characters with a proper M2 Browning heavy machine gun late in the gun. There could have been more variety and balancing, I think, compared to what they came up with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One of the problems with guns that DC didn’t fix is the imbalance in the best available guns in Arizona. Specifically, the M16 is available early and demolishes everything. For sniper rifles, the bullpup and M24 are similarly excellent.

The other categories of guns are completely outclassed. The situation improves in California, but by then the game is half over.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Kthulhu5000 posted:

After a certain point, who uses 5.56mm, .38, or .30-06 ammo?
Yeah. I actually had to run around California looking for .38 ammo when I got the Eviscerator SMG, just because it was the only top-tier weapon that went backwards on ammo type. Not that I used it much at that point (I got in the habit of fighting only at long range early on), but seeing as that ranger's other combat skill was energy weapons, it was nice to have something in his hands that could actually do some serious damage.

I was surprised that energy weapons weren't better, to be honest; I felt like Pizepi and my laser-ranger were really underwhelming in fights compared to basically anyone with any other kind of gun, even against robots, and that's not at all how I thought it would go. The best hit either one of them could get with all the perks in place was maybe half what a sniper or rifleman was doing with the same amount of action points. I dunno, maybe I never found a good energy weapon? I went from the gamma ray blaster to the death ray and never found anything that looked better.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Great. And I just sold my cache of 500 rounds of .38 for few measly rounds of 7.62.

I don't mind certain guns outclassing others but yeah, linearity of weapons in games is my big pet-peeve. It'd be like if cars used in rural Bumfuck, AnyState only reached 25mph but out in New York they sold cars that traveled at 2500mph. That's not how things work.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

crashdome posted:

Great. And I just sold my cache of 500 rounds of .38 for few measly rounds of 7.62.

I don't mind certain guns outclassing others but yeah, linearity of weapons in games is my big pet-peeve. It'd be like if cars used in rural Bumfuck, AnyState only reached 25mph but out in New York they sold cars that traveled at 2500mph. That's not how things work.

That's how things work in most video games though, especially RPGs. It's just really jarring when applied to real world equipment you might have some familiarity with.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
What's the difference between red and green text highlights?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I agree with the people who say that Arizona and LA feel like two games welded together.

I got to the start of California and the enormous slow fight with the dogs just made me quit the game altogether. I haven't touched it since.

It's a shame to hear that non-buggy California is actually worth playing. Previously the thread gave the impression that it was almost pointless going there since it barely worked.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

The only time I really broke from this was the Slicer Dicers at the Abandoned Railway. They have a lot of armour and a lot of HP, so it makes sense to give them some status effects in the first round so they’re more manageable in the next few.

That fight was a bitch, luckily there's a robot you can reactivate that will take out a good two of them.

I have found that definitely targeting the chassis on robots is the way to go. Scorpitron!

Taear posted:

I got to the start of California and the enormous slow fight with the dogs just made me quit the game altogether. I haven't touched it since.

It's a shame to hear that non-buggy California is actually worth playing. Previously the thread gave the impression that it was almost pointless going there since it barely worked.

I really do think that the biggest flaw with this game is that there's a learning curve to it. I restarted a few times between the Highpool/Ag Center set before I figured out how things work. I had to do it again after I had been in LA for a while and discovered that you need to have at least one original ranger left in order to keep playing :negative:

I've been enjoying it so far, and I really do hope that some day there will be more Wasteland.

I've been playing the PS4 version, and I do wish the bug that crashes when I try to move between zones would lighten up though, it's rather annoying.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I did a playthrough of fallout tactics this weekend and it's quite sad that even with all its flaws, I feel it's a superior game to wasteland 2 in almost every single way.

Could someone give me a post AZ save to see if it would improve my opinion about it?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Taear posted:

I wonder if my opinion of Wasteland 2 would have been different if I had ever felt like a fight was slow? I am sure I have to know what fight you are talking about, and I think it was over in two rounds. I imagine if it had been, like, ten, I might have gotten frustrated too. But what is the secret to this difference? It is not even like my people are optimized...most of them only go once a round. I do make judicious use of explosives if enemies cluster together, certainly.

Iron Crowned posted:

I had to do it again after I had been in LA for a while and discovered that you need to have at least one original ranger left in order to keep playing :negative:
Well that is an interesting thing to learn. Is it spoilery to explain why, or is it... uh... yeah I have no idea why that would be.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

The dog fight is like, 5+ dog fights. There's a fight for every hole in the fence.

I cleared it first shot but it's a slog regardless. Nowhere near as bad as Titan though.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

S.T.C.A. posted:

The dog fight is like, 5+ dog fights. There's a fight for every hole in the fence.

I cleared it first shot but it's a slog regardless. Nowhere near as bad as Titan though.

Those dogs almost made me stop my second playthrough.
Though I guess I did get bored and give up after the Mannerites. Yeah I'm never gonna finish this game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want to get back to it, but it came to a screeching halt when I gave that stuff to the CA Rangers guy so he could make better Hazmat suits for me, and the game gave me no indication when he was actually going to give them to me, and I had run out of other stuff to do, other than 1 fight that was literally 10 times harder than anything else in the game.

The dog fights were pretty easy but yeah they are tedious. I think I was in that area for a couple of hours at least before I could even check out the map.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It certainly would have been nice if arriving in California had been a little different. Or if they had told you that your equipment in the storage chest was coming with you so I did not plan out an execute an hours-long absurdist and unnecessary way to get everything there without needing to :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Quarex posted:

Well that is an interesting thing to learn. Is it spoilery to explain why, or is it... uh... yeah I have no idea why that would be.

It's not really spoilery, I just wasn't really used to a game that is this unforgiving, and I was down to one original ranger, and when she got popped the game was over.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So you were just letting your guys die? I save scummed every time anyone got killed pretty much, outside of 1 or 2 companions I thought kind of sucked anyways.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really remember the dog fights taking that long. Maybe I was still numb from the thousand or so years I spent in Titan Canyon, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

docbeard posted:

I don't really remember the dog fights taking that long. Maybe I was still numb from the thousand or so years I spent in Titan Canyon, though.

The dogs went down fast for me, but I could see them being a slog for a team with no one trained in assault rifles/sniper rifles. Arizona pistols/SMGs/shotguns/energy weapons just aren’t as good, and they also take a hit from armour.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

iirc they ended up being time consuming for me, because I was having trouble finding them in the first place and that area has some ridiculous road blocks that make you zig zag around the whole thing, which takes forever. I remember it being the most annoying area in the game to back track around.

Even going back there later to talk to the Ranger leader was tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I had an M16 and the 7.62 125ish (average) damage sniper rifle from the abandoned railway.

Unfortunately, everyone else had not those weapons, so they took forever to kill, given their numbers and HP.

I had an SMG user with trash, a shotgun user with the best AZ shotty (I think, it dealt like 45ish base damage, still sucked), Takayuki, and the next-best rifle on VC (new playthrough has just VC because two snipers was excessive).

Also Vax.

Still, fuckers took at least a round or two to kill, which after fight 3 and Dog Ballsack #30 or whatever, got a little old. At least with Titan, I enjoyed killing religious fanatics and feeling like I decided to let the DBM live out their libertarian wet dreams as Border Patrol of Damonta.

Speaking of, is Damonta supposed to be nuked or something? I read some (assumedlyoutdated) wiki page that said if you left Damonta you couldn't re-enter it or something, which sounds wrong, or a bug.

• Locked thread