Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
He says he's quitting the show so much that a lot of people didn't believe him when he announced he was ending the WFMU show, but the show on the iTunes charts is a couple spots below that Earwolf Jeff Garlin show that ended a year ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I guess I don't know how most podcasts usually market themselves or get huge followings. You'd think the Best Show would be up there considering how long it's been around and that he can pull some decent celebrity guests.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

AndrewP posted:

Tom keeps talking/tweeting about how nobody is listening to the show. I haven't been listening for that long, this a normal thing of his or is he really not having the listenership he needs?

I'm speculating, but I assume the listenership is down a decent amount from the WFMU days. The two most obvious reasons are that show isn't on the radio anymore and that there was a long break in broadcasting followed by a website change which probably lost him a bunch of listeners. I was skeptical at first if Tom could recapture the magic of the WFMU days in a webstream and I think I was right to think that way. I still enjoy the show but it's really just not as good as it used to be. Tom physically being in the studio and the type of callers that being on the radio used to bring in just can't be replicated. I was thinking the other day it seems like 75% of the callers are now from Brooklyn, Toronto, Austin, and Seattle. The other thing that has put me off a bit is the fact that the show is kind of becoming like every other podcast where there's a celebrity I don't care about plugging something every episode. Before he almost always brought on people he had a rapport with but now there's a lot of long drawn out conversations with disinterested/annoying guests. I feel bad bashing a show I've liked for so long but I certainly listen a lot less now.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

AndrewP posted:

Tom keeps talking/tweeting about how nobody is listening to the show. I haven't been listening for that long, this a normal thing of his or is he really not having the listenership he needs?

ive been subscribng but not really listening. idk havent been feeling the new show for a while.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

tumor looking batty posted:

ive been subscribng but not really listening. idk havent been feeling the new show for a while.

same

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

idk why he is uncomprising about the length and time he records. one idea is maybe forgoe the three hours and just cut whenever he wants or feels the podcast has run its course for the night.

before, he was tasked to fill in time for a radio station but now thats no longer needed so the 3 hours is just an homage to the past which was fun at first but really needs to go. theres no need for filler anymore! he can easily fill an hour or two hour show without having to cram in some stupid guest to fill in the time.

he also doesn't have to stick to the tuesday night at 9 if he doesn't want to. he's free to record whenever he wants, practically. why not some saturday night or sunday morning? try something new!

anyway thats how i feel. i look now at the 3 hour podcast as a burden that it doesnt need to be and shouldnt be.....

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'm surprised that people are so down on the show. I think the last year's worth of shows has been easily better than the last two years when it was on WFMU.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the ladies only stuff is dumb as hell also

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
After listening for so long it's hard for me to point out 'highs and lows' like it would be for something like SNL. It's all The Best Show to me. I do wonder if Tom would have gone to Earwolf or Maxfun if he had it to do over again, though since they're both California based it's not like he could have used their studios or anything.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
hey remember when the WFMU version first got the podcast and he used to bitch weekly about how only 37 people downloaded it

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

Illinois Smith posted:

hey remember when the WFMU version first got the podcast and he used to bitch weekly about how only 37 people downloaded it

Yeah I think this is just one of his annual gimmicks to goose downloads and fan engagement. The higher his downloads, the more he can charge for ads.

He's also using Midroll for his ads, which is part of Earwolf, so he's essentially got the best of both worlds -- he can still operate like an independent freeform, guy but use the power of Earwolf/Midroll/Scripps to sell ads.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2utSqtAOic0

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Tom is all over it: http://pitchfork.com/news/62185-tom-scharpling-accuses-google-of-stealing-best-show-song-for-chromebook-ad/

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

I wish this had been released on Tuesday.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bunk posted:

I wish this had been released on Tuesday.

The response will only get better the more time Tom has to stew over it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Seltzer posted:

The other thing that has put me off a bit is the fact that the show is kind of becoming like every other podcast where there's a celebrity I don't care about plugging something every episode. Before he almost always brought on people he had a rapport with but now there's a lot of long drawn out conversations with disinterested/annoying guests.

Yeah I basically just skip every single phone interview. The reason it took me so long to listen regularly, as opposed to just listening to 'best clips' on Youtube, is because the show is soooo long

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I skip the wurster calls, Tom rocks.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

always be closing posted:

I skip the wurster calls

come on now.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

always be closing posted:

I skip the wurster calls, Tom rocks.

wait WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????????????

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I liked the pink Floyd one, but theyre just so corny. Like Kristen schall is a horse level corny. Id rather just listen to Tom.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Can't find the clip of Tom and Patton analyzing the "Let's Get Mets-mormized" song from the 80's. Anybody have that lying around???

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Mets-mormized
well there's your problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEa4Sf46HxM

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 23, 2015

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

thanks. weirdly enough "the best show patton oswalt mets" was turning up nothing on youtube earlier.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tumor looking batty posted:

I didn't miss an episode for something like 7 or 8 years and I've probably only caught 1/3 of them since it's come back. It's not that I even think it's bad, but it definitely lost a little bit when it went to podcast form. I think more than anything I sort of came to terms with it being over and all of a sudden it was back.

I still love it and I'll probably always listen to some extent, but I have had trouble wanting to be religious about it since it's return.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I actually just went back to a random episode from 2004 I hadn't listened to before to confirm what I said earlier. It was so much better. The wide range of callers was extremely refreshing. As an aside the episode had a captain jack call in which lead me to learn about the "Monkfish incident" that I somehow had missed out on so I tracked that episode down as well and gave it a listen (It was removed from the archives).

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Toronto show was pretty great. I was glad Nick Flanagan and Damian Abraham were there - the end of the show with everyone singing the theme while Damian gave Tom an airplane spin was something to behold. I also caught a Peanut Chew from Roy before he sang Kim Mitchell's horrible 'Go For Soda' song. A+

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Cambridge show was also fantastic. Was awesome to hear Philly Boy Roy sing that "Gigantic" underground alternative rock hit that makes all the kids "Lose their Minds" and act like "monkeys in heaven."

Dude Looks Like a Lady.

total body workout
Nov 17, 2012
One of my favorite moments from the show, and there were many, was when Gary the Squirrel started his interview segment and asked if there was anybody from Harvard in the audience. Dead silence. Gary talked about how it really is a class issue. He didn't go to no Harvard. He went to the school of hard... *nuts!!!!*

I got to meet Tom and Jon after the show briefly to get my poster signed. They couldn't have been nicer or more genuine people. It was really a night I'll never forget.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This week's episode was great. I loved Tom's ongoing impression of "Welcome to Night Shade" where he keeps getting the name wrong and also just assumes it's a show where a Vincent Price-type talks about werewolves in the Arby's or whatever.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

What are some good episodes for Tom getting really pissed off and shouty at callers aside from the one where Matt Walsh curses during an interview and the one where he chews out the guy who used to throw mattresses into hotel pools or whatever?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I always liked this classic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vhy4yZ_k3yk

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

This week's episode was great. I loved Tom's ongoing impression of "Welcome to Night Shade" where he keeps getting the name wrong and also just assumes it's a show where a Vincent Price-type talks about werewolves in the Arby's or whatever.

It was great, I thought he was spot on, after listening to one ep of night shade. Also loved him getting after Garrison keeler.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wasn't that show made by goons too? I've never listened to it.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

lol I was laughing really hard at that

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I just liked how he kept going back to it

"Good evening people of Night Shade Pennsylvania, watch out because the werewolf brothers are in town, and their neighbor Dracula too!" etc.

and yes WTNV is made by goons and has a thread in this very subforum

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Incorporating the ongoing joke about Dudio engaging in cat-flipping really made the Night Vale bit terrific

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

HHOP has really grown on me. When it started it felt a bit like "oh crap, between the sound collage and Gary's segments and the ads and the interviews we don't have a whole lot of call-in stretches on the show anymore, let's make a separate thing for those" but it has grown into its own beast. I dig the panel style and loose atmosphere.

Also Mike has been owning these lately.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Tom's quiet "Jesus Christ" while desperately looking for an exit from his conversation with Fredericks destroyed me.

Likewise Mike's story on the HHOP about the man in clown makeup. Feels like it could be the basis of a future Wurster call.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

jizz jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm a little behind but :lol: Tom Waits singing about Dorito dust.