Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, true enough, most are just nice bonuses rather than necessary techniques, and it will definitely be a while before most of it would come up; Pikmin 2 has kind of a lot of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
The area effect of the purple's slams means 3 purples can be as effective as like 50 reds against some situations that you WILL encounter sooner or later. Splatting everything in an area dead rapidly can be the difference between one in a swarm getting a pikmin fully chewed or not.

Glad to see the LP's not dead. I was sorta worried for a while.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Damnit now I'm going to have to order a BIGGER batch of Pikmin from Fae after I move out :argh:

I MUST HAVE AT LEAST ONE OF EVERY COLOR

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Wait, I think I missed something. Do purple pikmin do bonus damage when you throw them or something?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Bravo posted:

Wait, I think I missed something. Do purple pikmin do bonus damage when you throw them or something?

Yes. It's the difference between hitting enemies with a fruit and hitting them with a rock. Of course that requires Faerie Fortune to hit with thrown pikmin...

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Captain Bravo posted:

Purple pikmin are super heavy or super dense or something along those lines, so they do this kind of ground pound thing when you throw them that maybe does extra damage and definitely stuns things if you land a direct hit.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello I forgot to post this update because I was too busy enjoying Desert Bus

:siren:Update Time!:siren:
Episode 4 - What Is It???

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's ok, the Forest of Hope requires at least one red pikmin water sacrifice.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Finally got caught up on all the videos, and not only was watching everything up to this point delightful but it prompted me to replay Pikmin 1 for old times sake. I'll enjoy seeing where things go in 2 because that is the only game in the series I've still not played (pain in the rear end trying to find a copy for a decent price).

Keep it up, Fae

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Fae, you're neglecting the primary role of Purples: GENOCIDING EVERYTHING. :black101: Do not be afraid to use your purples in combat as they will destroy whatever you put them against. And oh god definitely bring them into caves, you'll need them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Isn't a paper tiger something that is totally harmless, while a glass cannon = high offence, low defence?

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
Oh my goodness everything's so much smoother than the last one

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Samovar posted:

Isn't a paper tiger something that is totally harmless, while a glass cannon = high offence, low defence?

paper tiger is basically "looks threatening, collapses under pressure" but I basically use them interchangeably. I know they're fighting game terms but I don't play fighters so I am almost definitely using it wrong!

FishOnAPiano posted:

Oh my goodness everything's so much smoother than the last one

It REALLY is, Pikmin 2 is such a goddamn joy to play. I'm repeating myself here but a lot of the time when we're recording I completely forget that I'm not just hanging out with gnome and playing a good game and that I'm actually doing LP stuff because its just so fun. When we're recording its really hard to stop because both of us just love this game so much, even when things go badly we find a way to laugh and enjoy ourselves!

Seriously guys if you're watching this blind, please go play Pikmin 2 for yourselves, words cannot describe how charming and fun this game is to actually play!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Or if you cannot find a copy of pikmin 2, because it is surprisingly expensive these days, especially the Gamecube version, you could always get Pikmin 3. That game is also quite good!

If you do that though, don't post in this thread about it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pikmin 2's Wii version shouldn't be that hard to find these days, I don't think. With any luck, Nintendo'll throw that on the eShop sometime in the future.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Huh, I was sure that I saw more Pikmin than 3 in eShop. Maybe all those trailers and extra movies threw me off.

Pikmin 2 looks really good so far. Well, like Pikmin 1 graphically, but with better controls and tons of flavour text, but we haven't even seen much yet, right? I'm looking forward to more.

Also, the language of Hocotat...ians is really something else. :3:

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Who the hell is so mad they can't post spoilers in a no-spoilers thread that they spent :10bux: on gnome's avatar?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well his old avatar is still available at least but I don't remember his title text. Seriously though, why?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

FPzero posted:

Well his old avatar is still available at least but I don't remember his title text. Seriously though, why?
Something like "Who's this little spaghetti?"?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm honestly not sure which of Bernard, Louie, or Olimar is the worst choice to depend on as a means to save your living.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Don't worry, I've got it, I have been sitting on an upgraded avatar image for a while now.

Seriously though, what a weird thing to do. I was kinda expecting something like this after the "don't hate" post but I really expected it to happen at that time, not like, 6 months later after a completely innocuous post to not tell us about pikmin 3 in here.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

ChaosArgate posted:

Pikmin 2's Wii version shouldn't be that hard to find these days, I don't think. With any luck, Nintendo'll throw that on the eShop sometime in the future.

It's not particularly hard to find, no, but because it isn't on the eStore yet, it costs $40-50 used. Supply and demand can be a cruel mistress.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Who's that supposed to be, anyway?

2 is definitely my favorite of the three games, and the purples are a big part of that. I really hate letting my pikmin die even if they are supposed to be super expendable, and this is the only one where it's reasonable to go for a no-death run.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

What was Gnome's avatar changed to? I didn't get a chance to see it.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

kvx687 posted:

Who's that supposed to be, anyway?

That would be the Touhou character Kyouko Kasodani, from the Homestuck-style fan game DesireDriven.
:goonsay:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Captain Bravo posted:

Bernard from day of the tentacle. It had a giant angry wall of text with links to two posts he made requesting no spoilers.
It probably wasn't that funny to most people.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

You can actually view all the previous avatars a person has had by opening their newest one and just replacing the 0003 or whatever on the end of the URL with a lower number. Learned that from the Drakengard 3 thread. :v:

In this case, though, not really worth it, as said above.

edit: Maybe not all, I just tested and I can't seem to access Fae's old Ganondorf avatar for some reason.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 23, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm honestly not sure which of Bernard, Louie, or Olimar is the worst choice to depend on as a means to save your living.

In complete fairness Olimar has shown himself to be committed and consistent, even if he is a little ditzy. Louie hasn't really had a chance to shine outside of copying Olimar so far, and then there was that Pikpik carrot incident...

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Shady Amish Terror posted:

In complete fairness Olimar has shown himself to be committed and consistent, even if he is a little ditzy. Louie hasn't really had a chance to shine outside of copying Olimar so far, and then there was that Pikpik carrot incident...

Intro does say Olimar is the only employee of any merit in the entire company. Louie may have hidden depths, but the game is definitely not making us think that at this point.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Aithon posted:

You can actually view all the previous avatars a person has had by opening their newest one and just replacing the 0003 or whatever on the end of the URL with a lower number. Learned that from the Drakengard 3 thread. :v:

In this case, though, not really worth it, as said above.

edit: Maybe not all, I just tested and I can't seem to access Fae's old Ganondorf avatar for some reason.

You can also view a person's avatar history via this tool:
http://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/

I'm not sure if it's a SALR thing, but I see a SOAP link on each post to that site.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

It's not a coincidence that Hocotate Freight only went under while Olimar wasn't around. You all scoff at the Dolphin, saying that's just an ordinary bolt, that's not a gravity jumper it's just a spring! But which ship did the president sell off? How many hundreds of thousands of pokos in debt were they before our hero returned home? You all would do well to fear Olimar's business acumen...

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I couldn't find the Ganondorf avatar because it was in .png and numeration starts separately for each image type. :sweatdrop:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Aithon posted:

You can actually view all the previous avatars a person has had by opening their newest one and just replacing the 0003 or whatever on the end of the URL with a lower number.

:aaaaa:

And yeah, that was kind of a let-down. Usually when someone buys a dude an rear end in a top hat avatar they're at least funny! :v:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Looper posted:

It's not a coincidence that Hocotate Freight only went under while Olimar wasn't around. You all scoff at the Dolphin, saying that's just an ordinary bolt, that's not a gravity jumper it's just a spring! But which ship did the president sell off? How many hundreds of thousands of pokos in debt were they before our hero returned home? You all would do well to fear Olimar's business acumen...

To say nothing of the fact that, I'm like 90% sure the Dolphin wasn't a company asset, I think it was actually Olimar's. That he owned. From buying it himself. When he collects parts he keeps making reference to what the salesman told him about the part and how much he spent.

The company was so hard up they literally stole their best employee's personal property in a vain attempt to settle the debt, right in front of his face.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Guys, guys, when I said that Pikmin 2 is a game about the horrors of capitalism I wasn't joking.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Louie... ho boy, Louie. We will have words to say about him much later on.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
The Pikmin series really makes you think about civilizations other than ours and the possibility that they have made or still make dumber decisions and mistakes than what we do today.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Right now, around some distant star, an alien astronaut is slipping on a space banana peel.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I'm trying to imagine slipping on a banana peel in 0G and failing, and yet I still believe a sentient being could be dumb enough to manage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aithon posted:

I'm trying to imagine slipping on a banana peel in 0G and failing, and yet I still believe a sentient being could be dumb enough to manage it.

That's how you learn how to fly, according to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :v:

• Locked thread