Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Whoever jumps in right now: It's not the ogre that kills you, its the rats he spawns and/or show up while dealing with him, especially on nightmare+.
This is really not a difficult concept; whoever has aggro kites him around preferrably relatively close to people, the other 3 clear rats, deal with specials that show up and only once those two jobs are done stab/shoot the ogre. You can also pick up downed people the ogre is beating on without getting knocked back, and you should - just make sure the ogre isn't aggro on you.

E: Also if the ogre is aggroed on you, if you have full stamina you can block the actual attack and negate any damage - he'll still knock you back though. The slam attack also can't be blocked.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got an orange rapier! With Perfect Balance, Charged Regrowth, and Berserking!

It rolled minimum on both. :negative: It's still amazing, goddamnit.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
i just got this game and i'm curious: what are the main differences between the dwarf and the soldier? i've been playing them for the most part (my playgroup already has people playing the other 3) and their skillsets/roles seem pretty similar - bash large groups of rats away and depending on ranged weapons either mow down groups or snipe specials

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Thesoro posted:

i just got this game and i'm curious: what are the main differences between the dwarf and the soldier?

The dwarf really enjoys hewing through skaven like a lumberjack through wood. He would whistle while he works, but he's too busy laughing.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The dwarf is closer to the ground so it feels like you're moving faster and jumping higher.

Also Drakefires.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Let's not get carried awaaaaay :witch:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AndroidHub posted:

The dwarf is closer to the ground so it feels like you're moving faster and jumping higher.

Also Drakefires.

His weapons are also heavier and slower, even if they're in similar roles. His hatchet and shield is one of the best anti-stormvermin weapons, too.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
The dwarf has a cousin named Okri, the soldier doesn't as far as we know

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The soldier's facial hair is less in quantity, but more in magnificence.

Both Kruber and Bardin are, like, the nicest guys you could ever kill ten thousand rats with.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Night10194 posted:

His weapons are also heavier and slower, even if they're in similar roles. His hatchet and shield is one of the best anti-stormvermin weapons, too.

Sword and axe for the dwarf is the most satisfying stormvermin weapon there is. You just walk up, slap them with your shield, and then start hacking them up. You can just face-to-face manfight them and win without dodging or any bullshit

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What does the soldier mace and shield get over the axe and shield to compensate for AP on the latter? Having played both some the axe just feels so much better

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Magres posted:

What does the soldier mace and shield get over the axe and shield to compensate for AP on the latter? Having played both some the axe just feels so much better

Two wide attacks on the mace before the third head smash. The Axe doesn't have any wide attacks at all so the mace is a better swarm killer.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Magres posted:

The mace attacks also stagger quite a bit, so you throw the rats around even if they aren't dead. It's also a lot more satisfying bonking them on the head.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got a blue repeater gun for the witch hunter that has absolutely no gunshot sound effect. Just a big flash accompanied by silence. A fitting symbol for its usefulness.

Also had a swarm in garden of morr where we could see the slave rats spawning in one by one right in front of us in a certain spot. Except they were all spawning in dead. One by one they would just appear out of nowhere, a lifeless corpse to add to a growing pile. It was a little surreal.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 21, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Skandranon posted:

The mace attacks also stagger quite a bit, so you throw the rats around even if they aren't dead. It's also a lot more satisfying bonking them on the head.

I love the mace for that little bonk at the end of the combo. It's so good knocking rats down on the first two, then bonking a new arrival on the third.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The ragdolling that occurs with the mace is just brutal. It's some Ren and Stimpy poo poo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also had a swarm in garden of morr where we could see the slave rats spawning in one by one right in front of us in a certain spot. Except they were all spawning in dead. One by one they would just appear out of nowhere, a lifeless corpse to add to a growing pile. It was a little surreal.

On Horn, just after the first elevator, you go up some stairs and then enter the citadel thing proper. There's a column just to the left of the entrance. Slaves were spawning behind it in ones and twos and we just executed them, and more would spawn. It was quite tragic except, y'know, rats.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I won't have you in my regiment! :colbert:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I prefer axe/shield over mace/shield. Sure the mace sends them flying, coupling it with shield bash and they're practically permastunned. But, I also have blue Drakefires that let me eliminate 95% of whatever is in front of me - so I can relish that meaty thunk sound that the axe makes when it connects (plus the axe makes mincemeat out of specials) 😐

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Always be using the handgun. Never stop using the handgun. Crossbow is an acceptable stand-in if it has MC

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The crossbow is actually pretty useful to fire into incoming hordes once or twice if you have MC since it'll waste about 3 per shot.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
I've got both an orange crossbow (with MC) for WH and orange pistols, I've been using the crossbow more since it reloads almost as fast (on left click of course) and does considerably more damage and also penetrates. 20% chance to fire 2 bolts helps too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly even with the minimum on Berserking and Regrowth Charged this orange rapier owns bones and kills all rats. A single heavy stab kills a clanrat on Hard and a single head slice takes them out on Nightmare.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I could easily see a Slayer in DLC. And perhaps a few other versions of wizards, Jade or maybe Celestial might be fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A Jade Wizard would be an interesting choice. But I think it might cut a little too close to a healer.

A Light Wizard would be awesome just because one of their main spells is LAZER EYES.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

Does Swift Slaying work? (+30% attack speed for 5 second) I don't recall ever noticing it proc. Is there any visual queue similar to speed potion blue haze to indicate a proc, or just weapons in theory swinging faster?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Same question but for the healing on weapons. Does it proc in any noticeable way that a wielder might see it other than the health bar going up?

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Unzip and Attack posted:

Same question but for the healing on weapons. Does it proc in any noticeable way that a wielder might see it other than the health bar going up?

I've seen white glows and tiny doves pop out of people while they're cutting down swarms of rats so I think there's a sign just not one you can see

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Swift Slaying doesn't have any visual indicator other than noticing your weapon swing faster. Healing procs do a white flash that you and your teammates can see. I think it's the same visual as when you drink a potion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They really could do with adding an indicator that Swift Slaying/Berserk has procced so you can tell to change your rhythm.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

NickBlasta posted:

I've got both an orange crossbow (with MC) for WH and orange pistols, I've been using the crossbow more since it reloads almost as fast (on left click of course) and does considerably more damage and also penetrates. 20% chance to fire 2 bolts helps too.

I love the pistols, you can tear apart a rat ogre pretty quickly with a strength potion. Orange pistols still body shot clanrats up to nightmare too. The only problem is that they're inaccurate so they're not good for killing specials that are far away. My blue pistols have -40% spread and the headshot skill and are pretty awesome, I'm hoping I can reroll traits in my orange ones to get targeteer back.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah, the screen flashes yellow and you go aaaaaaah. That means you've healed.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tagichatn posted:

I love the pistols, you can tear apart a rat ogre pretty quickly with a strength potion. Orange pistols still body shot clanrats up to nightmare too. The only problem is that they're inaccurate so they're not good for killing specials that are far away. My blue pistols have -40% spread and the headshot skill and are pretty awesome, I'm hoping I can reroll traits in my orange ones to get targeteer back.

Targeteer is nice, but I could do without it on some orenges, as long as it had a good Skullcracker. Extra ammo is also really awesome. Both of those are essential to doing max damage to Roger.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

This is the best Error signing in. "on authentication failed: Ticket for other app" simulator ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't think we'll see a Slayer character. Fatshark said they went with the Dwarf Ranger because it makes more sense for him to be on the surface, and because everyone expected them to do a Slayer. All about defying expectations.

If a Bretonnian character were introduced, I'd give them a flail as their main weapon. Excellent crowd control and AP, but slow as balls (on chains)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Bretonian Peasant. Default weapons are a bundle of sticks and a bag of rocks. Can also get a single big stick or one really big rock

Modi1024
Nov 15, 2012
Sounds legit. And the story probably has a happier ending than if he'd just stayed a peasant.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rat-Catcher :colbert:

Modi1024
Nov 15, 2012
Is that actually a thing in the cannon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Modi1024 posted:

Is that actually a thing in the cannon?

Yes. They mostly stick to conventional rats, but hanging out in sewers and so on means they have the most knowledge of the Skaven among imperial citizens (skaven being regarded as a kind of boogeyman)... and, since they were generally weirdos before choosing the profession that involves hanging out in sewers all the time, are usually regarded as nutjobs and all reports of giant rats walking like men written off as conspiracy theories and/or madness.

Also canon is that part of their starting equipment in the RPG they were introduced in is "a small, but vicious dog".

• Locked thread