Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just got up to Goodneighbor and tbh game is really owning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Do chems etc that raise a special point count towards perks? So if you need INT 9 and take some drugs to raise it/wear armor can you get the perk with it ?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

NESguerilla posted:

I'm just gonna post this here because I thought it was funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQrSwTz6dc

Yeah, it's not just the writing that's terrible with conversations, the actual mechanics of just interacting with people are extremely janky.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also, holy crap, a maxed out Gauss Rifle is loving ridiculous. I've saved up about 200 rounds for it, and it's my backup "win fight now" option. I was one-shotting deathclaws with sneak attacks. Two-shot a Behemoth.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Not being able to warn Des is a common bug for Underground Undercover, from what I understand it's still not clear what causes it, Des just shows as being permanently busy. I had a different, apparently much rarer bug with Underground Undercover, where the quest never progressed past "continue working with Father", well after it should have changed and given me the warning to pass along. I ended up progressing the quest through trial and error on the console to the "warn desdemona" phase so I could turn it in.

poo poo. Guess I'm stuck waiting for the patch, unless there's a way to reset des.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Why is there no option for commandeering the Prydwen after slaughtering its crew? You missed a chance there Bethesda. :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I just finished the game a second time. The first time, I went semi-auto sniper, the second time using solely automatic weapons. I never felt underpowered with either.

I just realized that perk bonuses factor into the listed damage on the parts menu, so automatics looked unbelievably bad compared to semi-autos cause it was like a boosted 60 vs an unboosted 14. I'll try some autos this run, I guess.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

Why is there no option for commandeering the Prydwen USS Constitution after slaughtering its crew? You missed a chance there Bethesda. :colbert:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Stokes posted:

Ever since playing Life is Strange I play a mini-game called 'Spot the Chloe' in any other games I play. She's all over this one. Off hand I can think of two characters she voices. Cricket, and Tina De Luca from Vault 81. Speaking of Vault 81, with as much hype as I've seen in this thread about it I've been pretty unimpressed. I don't remember any other area of any other Bethesda Fallout game being so unapologetically rail-shooty.

She also voices another Tina, Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2, Ash Burch turns up in a lot of things nowdays.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's the third crash in five hours. After 20 or so of nothing happening that's a disappointment.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Raere posted:

I liked that the factions had glaring flaws. I had to really think about which one I wanted to support. Even then, I wasn't fully comfortable with my choice. My hope was that I could help the Institute, but as its leader, attempt diplomacy with the Brotherhood because I still like them. But in every conversation you have, if you express disapproval or flat out refuse to use violence, they overrule you, even though you're the new leader. When I refuse to attack the Brotherhood, Shaun tells me that it's an order. Like so many other games, it's just an illusion of choice. I know they can't program in every scenario that a player could want to follow, but it's very obvious how rigid everything is. I forcefully put down that little coup in the bio area to set an example and consolidate my power; you're supposed to fall into line, not continue to ignore my wishes!

To be fair, if the Institute attempted diplomacy with the Brotherhood they'd be nuked to oblivion on the spot, but it would have been nice to have the option to try.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm just gonna post this here because I thought it was funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQrSwTz6dc

This dialogue is so real.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Skeezy posted:

I just got up to Goodneighbor and tbh game is really owning.

Goodneighbour is probably the best location in the game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Deified Data posted:

To be fair, if the Institute attempted diplomacy with the Brotherhood they'd be nuked to oblivion on the spot, but it would have been nice to have the option to try.

Yup, the Brotherhood isn't here to play nice, they came looking to smash the Institute, no ifs or buts about it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Okay so every single time I switch out a companion for Dogmeat the game fucks up. I can switch him out but as soon as I send say Piper out for Dogmeat the game just stays stuck in conversation view.

If I walk away I can run around with Dogmeat but I can't interact with anything. :confused:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I feel like I missed part of the story at Croup Manor. I read the entries on Theodore's computer that talk about his frustration trying to get his feral family members back to normal. I guess it's implied he just offed himself eventually? You can see his body and a pistol next to the computer. Bethesda is normally more...straightforward...with stuff like that

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I've seen it said a number of times in the thread that companions don't use up ammo, and you can give them a gun and one unit of ammo and they're good to go. Is there some trick to making this work? My dudes chew through ammo like crazy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
What constitutes a second/third/fourth target when it comes to triggering Gun-Fu? Does it trigger on shooting different body parts on the same enemy, or only on different enemies entirely?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

So I've seen it said a number of times in the thread that companions don't use up ammo, and you can give them a gun and one unit of ammo and they're good to go. Is there some trick to making this work? My dudes chew through ammo like crazy.

They're wrong. They have infinite ammo for their own gun, but anything you give them uses ammo.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

counterfeitsaint posted:

NPCs do not use ammo, but companions are the exception to this rule. You can hand your settlers guns and one unit of ammo but your companions will need more. I'm not sure where companions that are not actively acting as your companion fall on this scale.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I'm thinking of renaming it "The Pain Train" because I'm terrible. If only I could silence it.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think it's only settlers that don't use ammo.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

She also voices another Tina, Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2, Ash Burch turns up in a lot of things nowdays.

VA pools don't tend to be super deep when you want a particular level of quality or reliability, it feels like. Either that or everybody really likes the same dozen or so VAs a whole bunch.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

isndl posted:

NPCs do not use ammo, but companions are the exception to this rule. You can hand your settlers guns and one unit of ammo but your companions will need more. I'm not sure where companions that are not actively acting as your companion fall on this scale.

BRB, giving a Fat Man to one of my Settlers.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Why would you kill those guys though, they're the best? They'd probably let you just borrow the ship as long as you returned it to it's perch in good condition.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Cait has opened up to me about her past and I passed a flirt opportunity: how far away from maxing my relationship would you say I am? I really want that trophy.

Also I fast travelled to a settlement near the four satellites and heard a crash that Cait remarked on but despite multiple reloads I couldn't see the crashing vehicle for the life of me (I assume it's better than a Vertibird given the dialogue prompt).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah this for sure. it's really disappointing running into enemies that haven't aggroed yet that look like they are in an interesting scenario, and it always just turns out they aren't shooting at me because they haven't seen me yet.
One thing that I liked about New Vegas was that the raiders seemed logical. The Powder Gangers and Jackals all have a rhyme and reason for occupying their respective spaces. And when you ran into raiders elsewhere, it made sense. You were either on some desolate road or going through a pass where you were easy pickings. And then you could get into some extreme combat situation on the outskirts of the map.

The key parts of civilization are allowed some room to breathe. Because that makes sense. I'm honestly a little bummed that there isn't more civilization around Diamond City. Something I really liked in Skyrim was that there was stuff immediately outside Whiterun because of course there would be. I feel like I'd prefer Boston to be mostly civilized with some Raider and Super Mutant strongholds rather than have the streets teeming with poo poo to kill me. And I know that there is an argument for that ultimately making the game more boring, but honestly the random battles in the street aren't as fun as stuff like the Trinity Building or the Assembly Plant which are straight up well designed shooting galleries.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I don't know why, but every single time I fast travel back to my Red Rocket base, it gets attacked by no less than 3 super mutants.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

frajaq posted:

Why is there no option for commandeering the Prydwen USS Constitution after slaughtering its crew? You missed a chance there Bethesda

You should have been able to have the Constitution ram the Prydwen to take it out later in the game. :colbert:

Also Ash Burch isn't as noticeable as Stephen Russell is still, voicing all the Gutsys'/Handys' plus Nick Valentine makes him the most prominent vocal cast member.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Cait has opened up to me about her past and I passed a flirt opportunity: how far away from maxing my relationship would you say I am? I really want that trophy.

Cait only has two flirtation chances from what I remember, it basically goes one early on and then the other chance is after you get her detoxxed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just accidentally quick saved literally as a mini nuke was flying through the air at me :/

Silver lining, I found out that, while you're not invincible during VATS, you are *nearly* invincible during the crit animation. The only way I could get out of it was to use my crit right as the mini nuke hit me.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Alabaster White posted:

Are Automatics ever worth it? I'm doing some number-crunching and it seems like they're woefully underpowered compared to semi-autos. Is their DPS way better from the improved fire rate or something?

I use the automatic Combat Rifle because semi-auto has a really awful recoil animation. It's like a not lovely submachine gun

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Know what bit of bethesda design I hate, they did this in skyrim too, when there's a dungeon you have to visit for plot reasons they just shove some debris in front of the pathway to the basement or whatever that magically vanishes when you have the quest you need. It pisses me off because I always get there before the quest and spend ages trying to find out how to get to the basement or whatever. Would it have just been so hard to put an "inaccessible" door or something there instead that opens for a plot reason when you visit it with the right quest?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

One thing that I liked about New Vegas was that the raiders seemed logical. The Powder Gangers and Jackals all have a rhyme and reason for occupying their respective spaces. And when you ran into raiders elsewhere, it made sense. You were either on some desolate road or going through a pass where you were easy pickings. And then you could get into some extreme combat situation on the outskirts of the map.

The key parts of civilization are allowed some room to breathe. Because that makes sense. I'm honestly a little bummed that there isn't more civilization around Diamond City. Something I really liked in Skyrim was that there was stuff immediately outside Whiterun because of course there would be. I feel like I'd prefer Boston to be mostly civilized with some Raider and Super Mutant strongholds rather than have the streets teeming with poo poo to kill me. And I know that there is an argument for that ultimately making the game more boring, but honestly the random battles in the street aren't as fun as stuff like the Trinity Building or the Assembly Plant which are straight up well designed shooting galleries.

Then the big complaint would be 'Why, in the middle of a civilized and organized city as large as Boston, do they tolerate an entire tower of Super Mutants/Factory full of raiders?'

The fiends being 5 loving feet outside the other side of Vegas always annoyed me, with the goddamn NCR and House's personal robot army -right there- the entire time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

dd209 posted:

There's a Trader shack just south of Walden Pond, with cats EVERYWHERE and a cat picture on the wall. The trader doesn't say anything special and her stuff doesn't seem to count as owned items.
Only place to find mats for Cat Stew.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I got my first explosive weapon - a 10mm pistol. Since I can put about 15 shots out from it in VATS... :fuckoff:

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Fereydun posted:

oh that reminds me for the final stretch of that faction's quests:
don't give those guys your weapons it does nothing and you have to give them a ton for the optional quest market to trigger
you don't even get to see them using the weapons it literally is just some dumb bonus xp for dumping in a fuckton of weapons into a box

i ended up losing out on some of the quest uniques because i just figured 'hey it's bethesda they dont give a gently caress about consequence and there'll probably be a box with the weapons again later'
at least i was right on half of that i guess

Luckily I just dumped all the Institute weapons I found lying around, including from the FEV lab.

Unrelated cool side-note - I was picking up one of the missing magazines from the Shamrock Taphouse, happened to wander east a little and discovered that Chinese Nuclear Sub. Shame taking the red-blooded, roleplay-friendly approach to that encounter merely fails the quest, especially considering the fact that Nate/Nora have a better reason than any other Fallout protagonist to react...rather strongly to the discovery.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

coyo7e posted:

Only place to find mats for Cat Stew.

Apart from the FEV lab (which you're eventually locked out of anyway, depending on which faction you follow)

Magmarashi posted:

Then the big complaint would be 'Why, in the middle of a civilized and organized city as large as Boston, do they tolerate an entire tower of Super Mutants/Factory full of raiders?'

The fiends being 5 loving feet outside the other side of Vegas always annoyed me, with the goddamn NCR and House's personal robot army -right there- the entire time.

The way Raiders are portrayed is a massive step up from F3, Oblivion or Skyrim, so kudos to Bethesda for that. Unfortunately "greenskins" don't benefit from that at all. There are some named bosses dotted around, but it definitely felt like the old "theme park" problem of previous titles.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

AgentJR posted:

I use the automatic Combat Rifle because semi-auto has a really awful recoil animation. It's like a not lovely submachine gun

Suppressors are the best anti-recoil mod in the game, once your gun nut gets high enough/you cannibalize one from a compatible gun the recoil is a lot more manageable on the semi-auto combat rifle. I've mostly switched over to a gauss rifle around level 43, but I still use my two-shot combat rifle on everything that isn't around/over my level.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Magmarashi posted:

Make the map too big where the factions have space to breath and its a boring walk to the different areas. Put them too close together and you cant walk anywhere on the map without turning a corner into a firefight.

New Vegas had better scale. 4 is too cramped, especially downtown Boston.

The Fiends being so close to the NCR walls was a little silly but they did try to explain it in game as all the manpower being focused at the Dam and the NCR soliders being under strict orders not to pursue the Fiends because they always fell back to the safety of Vault 3. There was also that NCR Ranger who infiltrated the vault that was trying to assassinate the head Fiend, not like they were doing nothing.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

isn't that side of vegas in a constant firefight w/ ncr patrols and fiends killing each other all the time?
every time i pass by my game melts because like 10 npcs are shooting at each other and it's gamebryo
i mean even the intro cinematic displays that veteran ranger on that side killing a fiend

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fereydun posted:

isn't that side of vegas in a constant firefight w/ ncr patrols and fiends killing each other all the time?
every time i pass by my game melts because like 10 npcs are shooting at each other and it's gamebryo
i mean even the intro cinematic displays that veteran ranger on that side killing a fiend

I never see any NCR out there at all, just Fiends from that nearby Vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

evilmiera posted:

Be generally nice and generous towards people.

I've read that she "dislikes violence", does that mean I can't kill anybody ever because that's kind of going to interfere with 90% of my gameplay.

• Locked thread