Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

Who says this?

My guess is people on Freep. Or do they still call them "Amish"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Boon posted:

So... I feel that the bill in Congress prohibiting terror watch list individuals from purchasing firearms should be a slam dunk.

Nope! Apparently the NRA is all about terrorist suspects legally purchasing firearms because due process!
I believe this week there was some Texas politician who let the facade slip for a second when he said that he was afraid the refugees would have easy access to guns since their laws are so lax there. Which I'm pretty sure is a no-no if you're getting money from the NRA.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr Jaunts posted:

My guess is people on Freep. Or do they still call them "Amish"?

Freep largely goes with "Amish" and "ferals," but they've been slipping more and more.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Cythereal posted:

Freep largely goes with "Amish" and "ferals," but they've been slipping more and more.
I think "Amish" has been largely falling off after that time somebody posted an actual story about Amish criminals or something and Freepers were quite confused.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boon posted:

So... I feel that the bill in Congress prohibiting terror watch list individuals from purchasing firearms should be a slam dunk.

Nope! Apparently the NRA is all about terrorist suspects legally purchasing firearms because due process!

We probably shouldn't be stripping people of legal rights without due process, even if the legal right in question is COLD DEAD HANDS. It would set a horrible legal precedent for the treatment of other constitutional rights.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rygar201 posted:

Isn't the terrorist watch list awful garbage though?

Possibly, seems to be the answer. It was loosely managed and took inputs from various places. It was discovered and challenged last year and the FBI tightened up management.

Best as can be said, it is 98% foriegners but as of March, over 2000 individuals on that list, or 94% of those who tried to purchase firearms, were able to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boon posted:

Possibly, seems to be the answer. It was loosely managed and took inputs from various places. It was discovered and challenged last year and the FBI tightened up management.

Best as can be said, it is 98% foriegners but as of March, over 2000 individuals on that list, or 94% of those who tried to purchase firearms, were able to.

Yeah, but for all we know all that means is that 2000 people who attended anti-george bush rallies while also being Muslim happened to buy guns. Which isn't a problem ( or rather is no more a problem than any other legal gun purchase). I have friends who found themselves on the no fly list simply for going to anti war rallies or for taking photographs of federal buildings while being libertarian. I have yet to see any evidence that the "terrorism watch list" has any better gatekeeping. For all we know, its just a list of brown people who talk funny and has as much relation to actual terror suspects as your mom's email contact list.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cythereal posted:

So not people in real life. Just internet people. Gotcha.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We probably shouldn't be stripping people of legal rights without due process, even if the legal right in question is COLD DEAD HANDS. It would set a horrible legal precedent for the treatment of other constitutional rights.

No it wouldn't, until someone figures out a way to create a killing word. Not to mention that a whole bunch of people on those lists are also already not supposed to have guns due to being previously convicted of things, which lead to them being on the list in the first place.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

It seems to me that the logic follows the same process that prohibits mental illness purchasees. Though I would welcome someone to explain to me why I'm a loving idiot about that.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Dr. Tough posted:

Yes, but Lobjan still uses Latin script!

Incorrect! It can also be written in Elvish script. :suicide:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rygar201 posted:

I knew some people who preferred to use Mondays or Celebrities as their totally not racist euphemism for blacks.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/07/26/leominster-police-officer-fired-for-racial-slur-against-carl-crawford/

quote:

LEOMINSTER (CBS) – The Leominster police officer accused of aiming racial slurs at Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford was fired Thursday.

Officer John Perrault allegedly called Crawford a “Monday,” a seldom-used racial slur, during a minor league game in New Hampshire on July 5.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2...Z4NO/story.html

quote:

When news emerged earlier this month that Boston Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford said he’d been called a racial epithet by an off-duty Leominster police officer before a minor league game in New Hampshire, reaction was swift. After an internal investigation, which turned up additional racist comments, the Leominster mayor fired the officer on Thursday.

But the epithet itself still has sports fans and commentators scratching their heads. Allegedly, the officer called Crawford, who is black, “Monday.” Monday? The day of the week? Is this really an insult, and one that has anything to do with race?

It turns out that the answer is yes—and that it is hardly the only secret ethnic or racial slur in English. Mild-mannered language has long provided cover for vitriolic speech, with everyday words pressed into service to lend a kind of plausible deniability. Such code words require shared recognition among the in-group, while, in principle, leaving the targets of the slurs unaware of the game. In fact, it’s only because the officer was breaking those implicit rules, and allegedly using a “secret” offensive term to address a sports celebrity, that he ended up in trouble—and that the coded use of “Monday” is suddenly out in the open.

After the “Monday” incident came to light in a postgame press conference with Crawford on July 5, local reporters scrambled to figure out the word’s hidden significance. “I can understand how it could become a put-down,” said Michael Holley, co-host of “The Big Show” on the Boston sports radio station WEEI. (Holley, who is black, has lived in Boston for 15 years.) “How did it become a racial slur?”

That remains mysterious. Certainly, the police officer didn’t invent this usage himself: On the Urban Dictionary website, which aggregates user-generated definitions of slang, one entry defines “Monday” as “Another way of saying [the N-word] without getting caught.” Another person even claims it “originated in Boston,” though other online commenters peg it to the East Coast more generally. Finally, a third definition offers an explanation of “Monday” as an insult, though no hint of why it would be connected to race: “Everybody hates Mondays,” the contributor writes.

This usage of “Monday” began to be recorded on Urban Dictionary in 2006, and it first made an appearance in the online Racial Slur Database two years before that. But it was the popular comedian Russell Peters, a Canadian of Indian descent, who put “Monday” on the map. In a January 2008 standup routine for Def Comedy Jam (widely circulated on YouTube), Peters tells of a Bostonian referring to blacks as “Mondays” and giving the same bigoted clarification that “nobody likes Mondays.” “White people are getting real...clever with their racism,” Peters jokes ruefully.

“Monday” is only the latest in a long line of covert racial slurs. In a 2004 paper called “Dining while Black: Racial Rituals and the Black American Restaurant Experience,” the sociologists Danielle Dirks and Stephen K. Rice analyzed “backstage race talk” among white restaurant servers. The most popular code word for black customers, they found, is “Canadians,” typically explained by the stereotype of both Canadians and blacks being bad tippers. Other covert terms for blacks noted by Dirks and Rice include “cousins,” and—for maximal misdirection—“white people.”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fishmech posted:

Not to mention that a whole bunch of people on those lists are also already not supposed to have guns due to being previously convicted of things, which lead to them being on the list in the first place.

[cite please]

Last article I saw there were 700,000 people on the "terrorism watch list." There aren't 700 actual terrorists in this country, much less 700,000. It's a bloated bullshit list of everyone who's vaguely brown, that's all, not a reasonable basis for removing protected rights.

"Anyone who is barred from purchasing a firearm due to existing actual federal or state criminal charges should already be barred from purchasing a firearm by the Instant Background Check System. That system *does* have flaws and needs better funding and better reporting -- see the Charleston shooter, Dylann Roof, who should have been barred from purchasing a firearm by the system -- but that's an entirely separate issue from "terrorism watch list" bullshit, because the ICBS is based on actual criminal charges and actual judicial process, which is something we have in this country because we aren't a goddam banana republic (yet).

If you're buying into "watch list" hysteria you're part of the goddam problem. The place for that poo poo is a Trump rally.

Boon posted:

It seems to me that the logic follows the same process that prohibits mental illness purchasees. Though I would welcome someone to explain to me why I'm a loving idiot about that.

Involuntary mental commitment is also a legal, judicial process in which the committed person has legal rights and is defended by an attorney.

That's the issue here: you can end up on one of these "watch lists" without any due process or judicial review, and once you're on said list, it's almost impossible to get your name taken off of it. So what happens is that anyone who is vaguely annoying gets put on a list. Seriously, all you had to do to get on the "No Fly List" was attend an anti-Dubya protest, and I know this because I know several people it happened to, all of whom were the most whitebread inoffensive college kid types imaginable apart from their activism.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 23, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The codeword of choice in South Carolina is usually 'democrats.'

A few years ago I heard lots of people in the fire service using 'neighbors,' which was explained as n-word and annoying.

God i hate people. :ughh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

The codeword of choice in South Carolina is usually 'democrats.'

A few years ago I heard lots of people in the fire service using 'neighbors,' which was explained as n-word and annoying.

Just call a spade a spade.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

[cite please]

Last article I saw there were 700,000 people on the "terrorism watch list." There aren't 700 actual terrorists in this country, much less 700,000. It's a bloated bullshit list of everyone who's vaguely brown, that's all, not a reasonable basis for removing protected rights.

"Anyone who is barred from purchasing a firearm due to existing actual federal or state criminal charges should already be barred from purchasing a firearm by the Instant Background Check System. That system *does* have flaws and needs better funding and better reporting -- see the Charleston shooter, Dylann Roof, who should have been barred from purchasing a firearm by the system -- but that's an entirely separate issue from "terrorism watch list" bullshit, because the ICBS is based on actual criminal charges and actual judicial process, which is something we have in this country because we aren't a goddam banana republic (yet).

You do understand that crimes exist besides "terrorism" right? And that a ton of the people on the watch list aren't even American - so they really shouldn't be buying guns in America either, right? In fact 98% of the people on the terrorism watch list are foreign nationals. God only knows why you're freaking over non-citizens not being able to purchase guns in America.

Also sorry, I don't give a poo poo about people being allowed to have guns. It's wrong, in general.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I'm hoping for some really good freeper Thanksgiving tears this year to counterbalance all the bad news lately.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fishmech posted:

You do understand that crimes exist besides "terrorism" right? And that a ton of the people on the watch list aren't even American - so they really shouldn't be buying guns in America either, right? In fact 98% of the people on the terrorism watch list are foreign nationals. God only knows why you're freaking over non-citizens not being able to purchase guns in America.

There are 700,000 people, at least, on the "terrorism watch list." So even if your assertion that 98% are foreign nationals is correct -- again, cite please -- that leaves (2x7) 14,000 people who are American citizens on said list. If, then, a mere one-seventh of those people tried to buy guns -- which would actually be a kinda low rate, given rates of gun ownership in America -- that's your 2,000 people, right there.

And we know for a fact that many of the people on said list are only on it because they happen to have some vague association with someone else on the list, such as attending the same mosque, being in an email address book or phone contact list, etc.

And the reason this bothers me is because, like it or not, the right to purchase a firearm is a legally protected right, and stripping people of legal rights without due process of law is wrong and bad. Either charge people with an actual crime or don't. Either we're a nation of laws or we aren't.

If your issue is just "people shouldn't have guns" then get a constitutional amendment passed so that gun ownership isn't a protected right. Right now it is, just like the right to trial by jury and the right to not be tortured and the right to not have your home searched without a warrant. Stripping American citizens of one of those rights without due process establishes a precedent for stripping all the others.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 23, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If you make it illegal for terrorists to buy guns then only criminal terrorists can buy guns.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

BonoMan posted:

It's sort of an urban legend thing that purportedly started in the food service industry. Right?

I've heard that from a couple of classmates who worked as waiters. Fun fact, they always assumed that black people wouldn't tip, so they'd give them half-assed service while they focused on white customers, then they wouldn't get a good tip from the black customers they ignored, thus reinforcing their belief that black people don't tip. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, basically.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I was introduced to the term "Canadian" in 2004 at a South Carolina TexMex restaurant. Some friends worked there and we were visiting so we hung out after close. Even the head cook (who was black) was complaining about "Canadians."

I thought it was weird but then I saw the movie Crash and they talked about the exact thing that all the workers were complaining about.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
So now we know why Ted Cruz wanted to build a wall on the Canadian border.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

There are 700,000 people, at least, on the "terrorism watch list." So even if your assertion that 98% are foreign nationals is correct -- again, cite please -- that leaves (2x7) 14,000 people who are American citizens on said list. If, then, a mere one-seventh of those people tried to buy guns -- which would actually be a kinda low rate, given rates of gun ownership in America -- that's your 2,000 people, right there.

And we know for a fact that many of the people on said list are only on it because they happen to have some vague association with someone else on the list, such as attending the same mosque, being in an email address book or phone contact list, etc.

And the reason this bothers me is because, like it or not, the right to purchase a firearm is a legally protected right, and stripping people of legal rights without due process of law is wrong and bad. Either charge people with an actual crime or don't. Either we're a nation of laws or we aren't.

If your issue is just "people shouldn't have guns" then get a constitutional amendment passed so that gun ownership isn't a protected right. Right now it is, just like the right to trial by jury and the right to not be tortured and the right to not have your home searched without a warrant. Stripping American citizens of one of those rights without due process establishes a precedent for stripping all the others.

The numbers come from here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/individuals-fbis-terrorist-watchlist-allowed-legally-purchase-firearms/story?id=35264669
And
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/564fec70e4b0258edb31b652

But your point is well taken.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. I believe that even if he wins the nomination(which he has a decent chance at) he is screwed in the general election. i mean he is a loud radical dickhead bigot who lives in a literal palace of Versailles and with a trophy wife and probably a few bastards. the man is a bully and rear end in a top hat. and most of my moderate conservative relatives hate his guts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MbSaKgt5RE the comments of this video are amusing. anyway, i honestly dont think moderates/bluedogs/minorities/liberals/lefties will vote for him.

Elections are never about getting people to cross over, they are about decreasing turnout for your opponent and increasing turnout for your side. I also think you are greatly underestimating how many moderates are willing to put up with the nonsense to get someone who is 'tough on terrorism' or whatever. An unfortunate high profile attack at the wrong time and you can bet your rear end any R is going to have a strong chance in the election- republicans always do better in foreign policy oriented elections.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

republicans always do better in foreign policy oriented elections.

Except for the one right after we killed Bin Laden.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Boon posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not real thrilled with that bill because there are several terrorist watch lists, most of the time they won't describe why someone is on them, and they won't let people get off - there basically is no due process there.

Which means that a constitutional right is being abrogated without due process. Note that said list can be as loose as 'shares some of a name with someone suspected as a terrorist.' I think Ted Kennedy wound up on one once.
Checking... yep.
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2004/08/kenn-a21.html

Horrible precedent.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

GalacticAcid posted:

If you make it illegal for terrorists to buy guns then only criminal terrorists can buy guns.

Well us Real Americans are finding it harder and harder to buy guns, but these terrorists can sail through the process easily. President Ben Ghazi's plan is working :bahgawd:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I don't care that those 2000 people couldn't buy a gun, and you shouldn't either, because guns are toys for idiots, and not a right.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
there's a nice book about that sort of shift in politicking to really be focusing on polls, gamifying elections, and doing things like intentionally reducing voter turnout, called Politics Lost.

there's an anecdote about how Pat Caddell, in one local campaign he was taking, he was trying to figure out how to win an election for an old, uncharismatic dork. And he did so by realizing that, instead of trying to drum up support for a turd, he could just turn the campaign so toxic and negative that he could drive young voters, who supported his candidate's opponent, away from the polls by just how odious the whole process was. And, as he said, he wound up "nuking" that demographic so totally that he was left feeling disgusted with himself; his job in a system that held the idea of citizen participation as part of its sort of mythological ethos, and he wound up finding ways to get people to just not want to engage with the system by turning it into a loving poo poo show. But even though he backed off of that tactic, people saw that it worked pretty well.

So, basically, low voter turnout, despite the hang wringing people like to do, is pretty much "by design". Even beyond cases of outright disenfranchisement like voter ID, there's a general intent to make the whole process as repulsive to certain demographics as possible, to keep them at home on election day.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

fishmech posted:

I don't care that those 2000 people couldn't buy a gun, and you shouldn't either, because guns are toys for idiots, and not a right.

ahem, excuse me have you forgotten about this thing called the constitution???

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Except for the one right after we killed Bin Laden.

Nope? 2008 /12 were clearly economic focused elections according to the data, which democrats do better in. Additionally, incumbents always have a strong advantage regardless.

And it's not like I'm saying every ___ focused elections are going to go to ___ party, that's dumb-- it does give advantages depending on the focus though.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 23, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

quote:

Due Process Chat

Wrong context of due process. Google Substantive Due Process.

Second Amendment rights would be considered fundamental rights under judicial review, and thus laws restricting them need to pass a test of a compelling government interest (keeping lethal weapons out of the hands of terrorists) narrowly tailored (people with specific flags saying this person might be bad news) and in the least restrictive manner possible. That last one I admit stumps me, in that I can't think of a less restrictive manner than "No, you can't have a gun" for keeping guns out of a person's hands.

You're right in arguing the point that this list might not be the best classification, but that's a problem with the list, not with restricting rights to forward a compelling state interest.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Warmachine posted:

Wrong context of due process. Google Substantive Due Process.

Second Amendment rights would be considered fundamental rights under judicial review, and thus laws restricting them need to pass a test of a compelling government interest (keeping lethal weapons out of the hands of terrorists) narrowly tailored (people with specific flags saying this person might be bad news) and in the least restrictive manner possible. That last one I admit stumps me, in that I can't think of a less restrictive manner than "No, you can't have a gun" for keeping guns out of a person's hands.

You're right in arguing the point that this list might not be the best classification, but that's a problem with the list, not with restricting rights to forward a compelling state interest.

Only allow them to buy flintlock long rifles. Muzzle loading only too! :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

fishmech posted:

Only allow them to buy flintlock long rifles. Muzzle loading only too! :v:

If only our forefathers had the foresight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Warmachine posted:

Well, yes, theoretically it's possible to restrict even a fundamental right, BUT even then you need some actual judicial proceeding. Due process of any kind necessitates a process. These "lists" are inherently process-free. People can end up on them for any reason or for none, there's no oversight, no way to ask for a review or to get yourself taken off the list or dispute your listing.

That's the core of the issue . I'm not disputing that rights can be restricted with a compelling state interest. But even with a compelling state interest some kind of process is still due, and these lists don't have any. They're utterly arbitrary, and that's unjustifiable.

edit: Oh I get what you're saying; yeah you can have a general law that restricts a right generally for everyone. But that's not this; this is an essentially arbitrary and unreviewable restriction applied to a small fraction of the population (based on what is mostly likely a religious criteria in most cases). I don't think there's any constitutional test under which such is justifiable.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 23, 2015

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Here's the source for my preceding post: http://www.gallup.com/poll/158267/economy-dominant-issue-americans-election-nears.aspx

I hardly even remember BL being brought up more than once or twice, it was all about economics.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Has anyone brought up Trump resurrecting that old and nearly forgotten "Arabs in NJ cheered when the towers fell" myth? Because he did that this weekend too. He's really whipping up the full-blown racist vote and isn't even attempting to sugarcoat it.

And everyone's Thanksgiving dinner is going to end up as collateral damage :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Has anyone brought up Trump resurrecting that old and nearly forgotten "Arabs in NJ cheered when the towers fell" myth? Because he did that this weekend too. He's really whipping up the full-blown racist vote and isn't even attempting to sugarcoat it.

And everyone's Thanksgiving dinner is going to end up as collateral damage :(

Nah. Don't ruin your family's racist hugbox.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Nope? 2008 /12 were clearly economic focused elections according to the data, which democrats do better in. Additionally, incumbents always have a strong advantage regardless.

And it's not like I'm saying every ___ focused elections are going to go to ___ party, that's dumb-- it does give advantages depending on the focus though.

Which elections have been "foreign policy focused"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

computer parts posted:

Which elections have been "foreign policy focused"?

• Locked thread