Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Bleh. Warm n Safe gloves plus "heat-troller" come to about 280. Same as getting the top of the line Gerbing glove and thermostat from revzilla. Still deciding between the Gerbing Vanguard and the Warm and Safe Ultimate Touring Men's. To me they're pretty much the same loving thing. Anyone want a report on either glove in particular? I'll go with whichever one people want a review on most.

Also the guy from Warm and Safe should give me a fat discount. In return I'll fix the loving typos n poo poo from his childish screeds. :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Bleh. Warm n Safe gloves plus "heat-troller" come to about 280. Same as getting the top of the line Gerbing glove and thermostat from revzilla. Still deciding between the Gerbing Vanguard and the Warm and Safe Ultimate Touring Men's. To me they're pretty much the same loving thing. Anyone want a report on either glove in particular? I'll go with whichever one people want a review on most.

Also the guy from Warm and Safe should give me a fat discount. In return I'll fix the loving typos n poo poo from his childish screeds. :rolleye:

Warm n safe gives "I definitely just took the MSF" discounts. Code MSF.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Correct. With older helmets such as the RF-1000 you would have to manually adjust the baseplates (they could shift over time) to make a full seal. The modern design (e.g. RF-1200) uses a spring to pull the visor against the rubber seal so you don't have to manually adjust. Not sure off the top of my head which/if any "non-premium" helmet do this.

My RF1200 still has the little screws but they're only there to fine tune the alignment of the visor so it's got the same pressure on the seal all the way around.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Chichevache posted:

They make glove liners. If you have a pair of gloves that fits a bit loose, they let you keep the protection and features of your normal gloves.

Firstgear sells rebranded warm-n-safe stuff. Their glove liners were noticably thinner than gerbings. As in, I couldnt get my gloves on over gerbings, then went on and rode with firstgear for 2 winters no problem. The single controller and glove liners would come to 150 on Revzilla. The dual controller would add another like 30 but is worth it if you'll ever wear a heated jacket.

Their gloves/glove liners don't come with the Y-cable to connect to the controller, thats another 15. I'd check if whatever gloves you're looking at do, or else you may get something useless until you can get a cable.

Although more money, a heated jacket may be more what you really want anyway. With heat running down the sleeves, your hands will definitely feel the cold, but be warm enough. The jacket is a bit less of a pain in the rear end too since you don't need to run the cable down the arms of your jacket and gently caress around with the plugs under a gauntlet or whatever. Throw on the heated jacket, throw on real gear, plug in and go. The glove liners are a bit more of a pain in the rear end for having to get the glove on over them. Gloves may not be as bad.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

They make glove liners. If you have a pair of gloves that fits a bit loose, they let you keep the protection and features of your normal gloves.

Firstgear sells rebranded warm-n-safe stuff. Their glove liners were noticably thinner than gerbings. As in, I couldnt get my gloves on over gerbings, then went on and rode with firstgear for 2 winters no problem. The single controller and glove liners would come to 150 on Revzilla. The dual controller would add another like 30 but is worth it if you'll ever wear a heated jacket.

Their gloves/glove liners don't come with the Y-cable to connect to the controller, thats another 15. I'd check if whatever gloves you're looking at do, or else you may get something useless until you can get a cable.

Although more money, a heated jacket may be more what you really want anyway. With heat running down the sleeves, your hands will definitely feel the cold, but be warm enough. The jacket is a bit less of a pain in the rear end too since you don't need to run the cable down the arms of your jacket and gently caress around with the plugs under a gauntlet or whatever. Throw on the heated jacket, throw on real gear, plug in and go. The glove liners are a bit more of a pain in the rear end for having to get the glove on over them. Gloves may not be as bad.

Heated liners are out since my gloves all fit like...... :ninja:gloves. I don't need a heated jacket since everything is still toasty warm except for my poor fingers. I'll consider getting one when I live in a place that actually gets below freezing.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Can anyone recommend me a super lightweight motorcycle trailer? I need something to get my bike to the track. I drive a miata...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ires-42708.html

I used one to drag a bike cross country twice.

E: no deck, just a dirt bike rail and a small ramp

BP festiva would pull it without issue.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 20, 2015

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Chichevache posted:

Heated liners are out since my gloves all fit like...... :ninja:gloves. I don't need a heated jacket since everything is still toasty warm except for my poor fingers. I'll consider getting one when I live in a place that actually gets below freezing.

If you don't mind looking like a goomba, hippo hands work wonders for that last bit of wind chill, I could usually get away with summer gloves when I was using mine. These are the ones I have, just for that extra bit of clowny-ness (and they were the cheapest I could find).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Turns out my battery was dying and not the grips that caused it, so there ya go.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Finally got a replacement helmet this week, grabbed one off the clearance section of Revzilla

Now I just need some replacement pants and gloves. Tempted to finally grab some Rukka 2 fingers now that they actually have them in stock again; been waiting with an email alert on those since March and they finally got them in right after I crashed :argh:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

HotCanadianChick posted:

Finally got a replacement helmet this week, grabbed one off the clearance section of Revzilla

Now I just need some replacement pants and gloves. Tempted to finally grab some Rukka 2 fingers now that they actually have them in stock again; been waiting with an email alert on those since March and they finally got them in right after I crashed :argh:

Woo, we'll be Glove Bros!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

You getting a new bike or was the old one salvageable?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

You getting a new bike or was the old one salvageable?

Old bike was totalled by insurance co, and I don't really want to use my 37 year old Honda for daily commuting (since commuting ended up being 99% of my riding as opposed to touring), so I'm probably going to pick up the cheapest reliable-ish bike I can find for my commuting, which will probably be a ninjette of some variety, since by definition, those are the cheapest bikes for sale aside from ancient shitpiles.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

HotCanadianChick posted:

Old bike was totalled by insurance co, and I don't really want to use my 37 year old Honda for daily commuting (since commuting ended up being 99% of my riding as opposed to touring), so I'm probably going to pick up the cheapest reliable-ish bike I can find for my commuting, which will probably be a ninjette of some variety, since by definition, those are the cheapest bikes for sale aside from ancient shitpiles.

Get your ninjette money together, then sell your body until you have another $500-1000.

Buy an old FZ6.

Bonus round: VFR800

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
So I think I've settled on the Schuber c3 but I'm anxious to go by their size chart. I've always been a sm at 22 in head circumference - do they really run as small as RevZilla says to make me a med?

Also, if anyone contends that the Schuber c3 isn't the quietest helmet you can buy, I wanna hear it before I drop $500+ on it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Don't you wear earplugs anyway?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Is there a way to repair textile? Somehow cut a slit in the shin of my pants and I don't want it to get any worse or be a weak point. Any sort of patch I can put on? Or should I just sew it with a kevlar thread? It's like 1 1/2" cut.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Marxalot posted:

Get your ninjette money together, then sell your body until you have another $500-1000.

Buy an old FZ6.

Bonus round: VFR800

I could just go out and buy something new on credit if I wanted to right now, but we're supposed to be saving up for buying a house, so I figure it's better if I go as cheap as possible for now, then buy another nicer bike after we get our new house with a bigger garage in which to house many bikes. Besides, as much as I want to do a bunch of long distance touring, 99% of my riding ended up being commuting miles, and I'd rather have a cheap beater bike for using for that.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Schroeder91 posted:

Is there a way to repair textile? Somehow cut a slit in the shin of my pants and I don't want it to get any worse or be a weak point. Any sort of patch I can put on? Or should I just sew it with a kevlar thread? It's like 1 1/2" cut.
Check with Rainy Pass. They specialize in fixing Gore-Tex and other waterproof textiles, but I'm sure a regular textile repair would be super easy for them to do.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How big is the tear? You can buy patch kits.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
What's the general opinion on gear from Klim? I've looked at some of their stuff and it looks decent and the armor looks good, it also looks like it's fine for both street and dirt riding.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Klim stuff is top-notch. All of the armor is full D3O and everything is at least bonded Gore-Tex (Gore-Tex Pro on their more expensive stuff). There are 3 ways to do Gore-Tex. 1) Liner attached to the garment. This is the least expensive method. 2) Removable liner 3) Bonded. Bonded is the top-of-the line - the Gore-Tex is physically bonded with the outer shell of the gear, meaning the jacket itself will not absorb any water. With the liners, you don't get wet, but the outside of your gear will get soaked, meaning you will have to wait ages for it to dry out.

Most of their stuff does fit "American" though. i.e. if you are skinny, it's probably not going to fit you very well. There are a few models that are less American cut; just depends which model you are looking at.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Schroeder91 posted:

Duct tape both sides to secure it for the moment. Works better than you'd think. Try not to flex it and it can last weeks, though a permanent solution is best.

VERTiG0 posted:

Don't you wear earplugs anyway?

Yes but I'd honestly prefer not to. I know that I'll be taking some level of damage but it's such a drag to get a full face over plugs.

Verge fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 23, 2015

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

-Inu- posted:

Most of their stuff does fit "American" though. i.e. if you are skinny, it's probably not going to fit you very well. There are a few models that are less American cut; just depends which model you are looking at.

The most recent release of the Badlands has fixed a lot of issues with the cut. New pants have narrower legs with a couple tensioners on each leg. Jacket received similar improvements in the arms. They also did away with the Monkey Paw, which was controversial. They got Superfabric in all ballistic areas. Rad looking, wrap-around D30 armor everywhere, including hips and chest. Unbeatable ventilation options. Built-in water bladder pocket means I don't have to carry a backpack and the ice in my water keeps me cool.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Verge posted:

Duct tape both sides to secure it for the moment. Works better than you'd think. Try not to flex it and it can last weeks, though a permanent solution is best.

Yes but I'd honestly prefer not to. I know that I'll be taking some level of damage but it's such a drag to get a full face over plugs.

It's possible that we have a misunderstanding about 'ear plugs', whether you mean 'IEM's, or either the method to insert them in your ears where they will be effective without causing problems with your helmet.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

kuffs posted:

The most recent release of the Badlands has fixed a lot of issues with the cut. New pants have narrower legs with a couple tensioners on each leg. Jacket received similar improvements in the arms. They also did away with the Monkey Paw, which was controversial. They got Superfabric in all ballistic areas. Rad looking, wrap-around D30 armor everywhere, including hips and chest. Unbeatable ventilation options. Built-in water bladder pocket means I don't have to carry a backpack and the ice in my water keeps me cool.
New Badlands still fits me like poo poo. The Blade, on the other hand, fits wonderfully (5'8" 160lb, skinny arms and narrow shoulders).

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

kuffs posted:

It's possible that we have a misunderstanding about 'ear plugs', whether you mean 'IEM's, or either the method to insert them in your ears where they will be effective without causing problems with your helmet.

Please enlighten me - I'm just grabbing random sleeping/shooting ear plugs. Y'know, soft little orange bullet lookin' things.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Verge posted:

Please enlighten me - I'm just grabbing random sleeping/shooting ear plugs. Y'know, soft little orange bullet lookin' things.

Are you sure you're putting them in far enough? Foam plugs never move at all, no matter how vigorous you are with them.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

To properly insert earplugs you should be rolling them so they are a thin cylinder. Pull your ear towards the top of your head from the pinna, insert earplug, and hold it in place until it fully expands. I use Hearos earplugs that are longer than standard earplugs and have never, ever had issues with them coming out.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I bought the new Klim badlands set in June and I've done about 8000 km with it now.

The good stuff:
Very good durability with no signs of physical wear yet. Fantastic ventilation and adjustability of air flow with all the vents. The vents do not leak water, and the goretex pro membrane is awesome. A 2 min stop to close everything when approaching rain is in such a different league than having to stop to pull on a rain suit. Stock D30 armor and built in kidney belt is real nice.

Minor nitpricks:

High-viz version has the panels get dirty but are hard to get clean. I managed to partly separate one of the zipper pull tabs(a fabric + rubber thingy) but it was because I was an idiot and pulled harder in a wrong angle rather than stop and think. Fixed it easily with some super glue. Added 2 bits of velcro to keep the ends of the kidney belt in place when not used. It had a habit to slide out of place when handling the jacket when not having it on.
On my bike atleast angle of the thigh vents makes them truly only effective when riding standing up( as they intended by design). They really work when standing up though.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

KARMA! posted:

Are you sure you're putting them in far enough? Foam plugs never move at all, no matter how vigorous you are with them.

No, I was not. Thank you.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

-Inu- posted:

To properly insert earplugs you should be rolling them so they are a thin cylinder. Pull your ear towards the top of your head from the pinna, insert earplug, and hold it in place until it fully expands. I use Hearos earplugs that are longer than standard earplugs and have never, ever had issues with them coming out.

I've always been afraid by the Q-tip issue. Just tried this, works, I'm dumb. Thank you all.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

I've always been afraid by the Q-tip issue. Just tried this, works, I'm dumb. Thank you all.

You should just get Etymotic headphones so you can rock out with your cock out. I've heard that Fatty Boom Boom at high volumes helps you go WOT.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If by WOT you mean "JESUS CHRIST GOTTA GET HOME RIGHT NOW SO I CAN GET THIS poo poo OUT OF MY EARS" then yes, fatty boom boom will do that.

Triple flange earphones are indeed super sweet though. You don't even need to turn them up that high since they block so much ambient noise.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

If by WOT you mean "JESUS CHRIST GOTTA GET HOME RIGHT NOW SO I CAN GET THIS poo poo OUT OF MY EARS" then yes, fatty boom boom will do that.

Triple flange earphones are indeed super sweet though. You don't even need to turn them up that high since they block so much ambient noise.

They absolutely rule. I can comfortably listen to podcasts on the freeway using my triple flange Etymotics. I highly recommend checking out "Renaissance Robot has poor taste because an understanding of cool wasn't programmed into him". :smugbert:

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

-Inu- posted:

Klim stuff is top-notch. All of the armor is full D3O and everything is at least bonded Gore-Tex (Gore-Tex Pro on their more expensive stuff). There are 3 ways to do Gore-Tex. 1) Liner attached to the garment. This is the least expensive method. 2) Removable liner 3) Bonded. Bonded is the top-of-the line - the Gore-Tex is physically bonded with the outer shell of the gear, meaning the jacket itself will not absorb any water. With the liners, you don't get wet, but the outside of your gear will get soaked, meaning you will have to wait ages for it to dry out.

Is there a significant difference getting a gear set that zips together (jacket and trousers) vs. one that doesn't? From what I understand, the zipping together only really matters if you want to avoid buying a one-piece leather suit for track days and the track allows a zip-together set.

I'm more curious on whether or not a zip-together set affects stuff like warmth, safety (if you get into an accident and you start to slide), and getting wet during rain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

They absolutely rule. I can comfortably listen to podcasts on the freeway using my triple flange Etymotics. I highly recommend checking out "Renaissance Robot has poor taste because an understanding of cool wasn't programmed into him". :smugbert:

I had to look this up.

South african music is, somehow, even more insufferable than actual south africans.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I had to look this up.

South african music is, somehow, even more insufferable than actual south africans.

You live in middle earth. :whatup:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

I had to look this up.

Every time I engage in this meme I feel a bit racist, like maybe it's a lovely thing to perpetuate the notion that all south africans are unstable assholes

Then last week the south african caretaker at my sister's church (who she kept saying reminded her a lot of our dad) got suspended for chokeslamming someone into a wall :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's a huge number of (white) south African expats living here. The overwhelming majority are incredibly rude, arrogant and impossible to deal with. 90% of the known rear end in a top hat customers at my work are south African. I try to be open minded with everyone I meet but for some reason they make it so bloody difficult to like them. They're incapable of being wrong and will argue till they're blue in the face over the tiniest poo poo and in the face of all reason, and they all seem to think the world revolves around them. I can count the number of nice ones I've met on the fingers of one hand. They're also horrible unapologetic racists.

Don't know any black south Africans but from what I understand the cultural gulf is massive (go figure) and they're not really alike.