Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

lokipunk posted:

So, thinking about the holidays coming up and decided I wanted to distribute a bunch of pokes on wonder trade again this year. I did 1000 extremespeed dratini last year. I know starters are always in high demand but I was thinking something a little more unusual. Friend of mine suggested aerodactl. Any other suggestions?

Speed Boost Venipede

I loving love Scolipede and he's amazing this gen. Also I want one :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pastrymancy posted:

I picked a fire type and am on a map where half the guys know Rock Blast
Chug some fuckin Oran Berries, I've only ever eaten two in a single dungeon so far but their temporary HP (which lasts until the end of the dungeon) seems to stack as high as you like.

Does anyone know what Speed--as in the stat, not the buff/debuff--affects in this game? Is it accuracy? Will I eventually get a bunch of turns in a row?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Diet Poison posted:

Nice! Which Pokemon, and which partner?

I used Heatran and Mega Salamence. I use both of them for VGC so both had protect rather than an additional coverage move, this wasn't the best idea because I coudn't protect and get the partner Pokémon to target whatever was threatening me but did help Heatran against a couple of Dig using Seismitoads I went up against as well as letting Salamence mega evolving safely and getting the speed boost. Heatran resists a lot of attacks and by giving it a Shuca Berry it was only water types who gave it problems. Mega Salamence's Double Edge just powers through things and could clean up most games.

I teamed up with Wally with the hope that his Leaf Blade carrying Mega Gallade and Magnezone would help against the water types that threaten both my Pokémon with water and ice attacks. I was surprised by how well that actually worked out, there were times when I'd be annoyed by Gallade not targeting the thing I wish it would target but it's attacks did a lot of damage and when it used used Close Combat against a Pokémon that Pokémon tended to go down. Magnezone was less helpful as it would often go for a Thunder Wave or a Reflect rather than an attacking move and I had to hold my breath everytime it used Thunder but by the time it came out Heatran and Gallade had usually already crippled the enemy teams.

I should have lost at one point during a battle in the 40s but an enemy Tornadus missed three Hurricanes against Gallade and gave it time to do considerable damage to Tornadus' partners. Other than that I was surprised by how smoothly it went. That said, I really recommend playing with an actually person (or yourself with a second DS) if that option is available.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Chug some fuckin Oran Berries, I've only ever eaten two in a single dungeon so far but their temporary HP (which lasts until the end of the dungeon) seems to stack as high as you like.

I think it stops after doubling you base health, or maybe just 50 HP, I had 50 even at the time so I can't say which.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I got to the part where you fight Entei and you pretty much do a whole magical girl thing and evolve to your final forms to beat him down. This game is amazing. :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Entei fight was extra silly for me because after a slumber wand wave and two blast seeds to the face, the game thought the fight was too much for me. I could've taken that chump!

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Oh. :stare: so THAT'S where all the drama was in this game. drat.

I got played like a fiddle :( And after I kept talking to you every day to make sure we were friends.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
^^^^Is it the part where poke-dad is evil???? :smith:

Silver Falcon posted:

Fortunately you don't have to bring your player character or partner to any dungeon (outside story ones)! So just put together a team of guys who don't get so owned by Rock Blast!

If it's a story dungeon, uh... see if you can switch leader? Hope you pick up the Emera orb that protects against multi-hit attacks? I forget what it's called.

Here is what I did (it was a story dungeon):

Amass slumber/petrify wands

Teach my starter protect
Teach my partner (Froakie) Ice beam

Slowly pick way through dungeon

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Pastrymancy posted:

^^^^Is it the part where poke-dad is evil???? :smith:

Here is what I did (it was a story dungeon):

Amass slumber/petrify wands

Teach my starter protect
Teach my partner (Froakie) Ice beam

Slowly pick way through dungeon

Yeah, it was. That was actually a pretty well done plot twist. I'm up to where you get back to the expedition society base, and it's really impressive how quickly everything went from "Find the school ghost" to "Pokepocolyse"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Huh, Salamence isn't that bad when you can just put him to sleep with a Slumber Wand every time he wakes up and spam your Alliance move.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, Salamence isn't that bad when you can just put him to sleep with a Slumber Wand every time he wakes up and spam your Alliance move.

I personally used Blast Seeds. Those things are pretty ridiculous nukes. Unfortunately, Damp nullifies them.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Apparently the game devs know how much hate Chikorita gets from all of you and didn't bother to test this scene. Yes, that is also the end of the scarf disappearing into the model.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh man I just got to Lively Town and every character in this game is as :3: as Wigglytuff's Guild.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rose Spirit posted:

Apparently the game devs know how much hate Chikorita gets from all of you and didn't bother to test this scene. Yes, that is also the end of the scarf disappearing into the model.

Chikorita is far from being my favorite starter but it's still cool and good and I hate that they didn't test the scarf on it. :(

Rolling through the game with Chikorita/Piplup. Salamence is kicking my rear end.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Surround Wand is really good when you're rolling with like a team of seven.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Espurr, too!? There is a fuckton of betrayal going on in this game. :( It's just a merry-go-round of people making GBS threads on the protagonist.

Oh poo poo the triple-cross

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 23, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol, Suicune is the only one of the legendary beast trio who isn't a total rear end in a top hat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You guys, I have finals in two weeks, and you're tempting me to buy a video game now?! I'm not even a fan of Mystery Dungeon (I enjoyed Explorers of the Sky, but the rest didn't do anything for me) and yet you're selling this so well I'm really tempted to just go and buy it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

gently caress why do i keep mousing over black bars in this thread :sweatdrop:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mabels big day posted:

you're not used to actually being into the story of a pokemon game

i know this because i made the same mistake.................

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

:saddowns: the reason i'm even posting about it is because neither am I. This is a good game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

you're not used to actually being into the story of a pokemon game

i know this because i made the same mistake.................

I'm pretty sure the main reason to play the PMD games is because of the story. :v: Though I have been enjoying the actual gameplay of Super Mystery Dungeon a lot so far.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Rose Spirit posted:

i got chikorita my first time, but i re-did the survey with another batch of questions and got Mudkip. Good stuff

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Dammit, okay, definitely not mousing over any more black bars now.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not even a fan of Mystery Dungeon (I enjoyed Explorers of the Sky, but the rest didn't do anything for me)

I remember not liking Blue/Red Rescue Team but I think that might be because I was an idiot who went "I'm going to do mail requests until no more show up!" rather than advancing the storyline and getting burned out on them.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Rose Spirit posted:

It does the same with the greatest pokemon of all time, bulbasaur

and you can't even see most of the drat thing on froakie

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 23, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

somebody spoiled a (not super significant) event in the story that sounds like it would have been cool to not know about and I'm kinda bummed

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I just finished climbing up Revelation Mountain a second time. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

I just finished climbing up Revelation Mountain a second time. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Uh, yeah. It just keeps getting more nuts, too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dittos are evil evil Pokemon. :argh: They made it so that Transform confuses everyone except for the Pokemon it targeted.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

VineST posted:

i got chikorita my first time, but i re-did the survey with another batch of questions and got Mudkip. Good stuff

You should feel bad about not obeying the quiz. :colbert:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Just finished the game! I got Turtwig and Piplup and was team Gen Fourtress. In spirit. Because the character limit was too short.

It was really good, I'm excited for postgame. And finally evolving poo poo.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Beat the game with Mudkip/Chikorita, had a pretty easy time.

The only things that messed me up were Vibravas since they have Earth Power, which hits the entire room. Took out my Lv 50 Guest in two hits on the first floor of a level. God, do I hate Vibrava.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Is there nobody who I can trust!? :argh:

Also I only have like 80 Pokemon recruited, and I feel like I'm pretty close to the end. There's a lot of side content in this game. :stare:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

got helioptile and I feel powerful

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also I only have like 80 Pokemon recruited, and I feel like I'm pretty close to the end. There's a lot of side content in this game. :stare:

Is it better then the post content of Blue Rescue Team?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Anything is better than the postgame content of Blue Rescue Team because finishing the main story made your partner no longer mandatory, which meant you had to manually invite them along every single time you did a new mission.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

All this talk of MD has reminded me that I played Pokémon Ranger once. Had good music but not that great of a game. At least I got a Manaphy out it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=157yMudWj6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YlN5-BVfNw

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 23, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol, I'm at the final fight of the game and right after everyone has a big moment in telling us not to give up, I immediately die on the first attack. Way to own me, game.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Jarogue posted:

All this talk of MD has reminded me that I played Pokémon Ranger once. Had good music but not that great of a game. At least I got a Manaphy out it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=157yMudWj6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YlN5-BVfNw

I liked pokemon conquest a lot, even though the postgame was unbelievably awful. Who wants to conquer the same kingdoms 20 times in a row?

I did like the mechanic of "If you defeat a pokemon within a certain amount of moves, they become yours," Though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

karn1635 posted:

I know you guys are balls deep in P:SMD but I was just wondering if there is anything in ORAS I should immediately start going out of my way to collect or do that I will regret not having started by the time I reach the end of the game and start breeding/battling online etc...

I don't own P:SMD and I'm just reading reactions, so I'll answer this the best I can. No, I don't think there is. There's the legendary hunting in the post game, so maybe start putting together a good trap team? Other than that you're good.

• Locked thread