Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hey just posting in this thread to say that this is the new best anime ever and everything about it is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think the most incredible thing about this anime is that the only complaints folks have had so far is "isn't as impressive as the (god-tier quality) manga" and "mumen rider should be translated differently". Everything about the show itself is quality, from ONE's writing to the animation, to the excellent choice in VAs.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mumen Rider is fine, but dear god why don't they translate Sweet Mask?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

there's no word in english that means as much as nakamaamai

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Terper posted:

Sea King was was absolutely perfectly cast.

Was it the guy who voices Simon from Durarara? umai yo~

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

.jpg posted:

Was it the guy who voices Simon from Durarara? umai yo~

It was not - Sea King's voiced by Rikiya Koyama, and Simon's voiced by Takaya Kuroda.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

It was not - Sea King's voiced by Rikiya Koyama, and Simon's voiced by Takaya Kuroda.

FYI, he was Klaus from BBB and Kiritsugu from Fate/Zero.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like that the show has successfully established goofy Saitama to the point where finishing the episode with a serious Saitama is enough of a tune in next time moment.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

there's no word in english that means as much as nakamaamai

they should translate it as Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask and say that every time.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

mabels big day posted:

they should translate it as Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask and say that every time.

"No, you have to say the whole thing! It's like "A Tribe Called Quest!"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Would the series change significantly if we deleted PriPri-Prisoner? Just curious.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

He gets pretty decent development during a later arc and provides a middle ground between the true heroes and the selfish/evil ones. He starts as a lovely joke but actually gets fleshed out and seeing that develop is fairly interesting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm kinda fine with them just ignoring the extra chapter, because then he's just a fabulous prisoner and not a rapist.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Would the series change significantly if we deleted PriPri-Prisoner? Just curious.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Alder posted:

Not in the sense that some aspect of him is integral to the plot, no, but he does show up and do things later on, so there would be some rewriting necessary. While I agree that PriPriPrisoner is pretty distasteful and I really wish that the whole prison rape joke wasn't part of him, I don't necessarily think the series would be stronger for straight-up excising him; there's some aspects of his personality and overall demeanor that aren't really present elsewhere in S-class, and after this first scene with him, I don't think the awful parts of him are really brought up again, though I might just be remembering that wrong.

Really, what the anime translation did was pretty much enough to make him way, way more tolerable. Still not great, but not nearly as bad.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The anime doesn't improve it that much, it just changes it so that its strongly implied that he's a gay rapist rather than directly stating it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

The anime doesn't improve it that much, it just changes it so that its strongly implied that he's a gay rapist rather than directly stating it.

edited

Alder fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 23, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Look at where we are right now, and consider that the Murata version is still adapting Garou. We don't nearly have enough content for another whole cour.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This sure is some people talking about stuff that hasn't happened yet in the anime.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If this thread gets as bad as the Fate/UBW thread I will be amazed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Motherfuck, now I'm the rear end in a top hat who got confused.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

from the depths rise the fourth through seventh one punch man threads

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

One Punch Man anime is the anime we need, not the anime we deserve.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

drat, when Licenseless Rider hears its demon level and starts peddling into the city, what a god

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What did the anime change translation change in regards to Prisoner? Cause I went and reread the whole Sea King arc (as you do) and he pretty much says the exact same thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Burbo posted:

What did the anime change translation change in regards to Prisoner? Cause I went and reread the whole Sea King arc (as you do) and he pretty much says the exact same thing.

the extra prison chapter not being in makes his line about "attacking" men he likes at least a bit ambiguous. that's it though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the real crime is that Prisoner didn't sound gay enough

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I think they're just talking about the extra comic about him and how he treats criminals while in prison. Y'know that extra thing that Murata added that wasn't even part of the original story but since it's in that timeframe it should've been included too I guess. v:v:v

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not a change, more a cut.

In the anime he claims to have turned himself in to stop himself from going after the guys he fancies, whereas in the manga he comes to the conclusion that it's still okay for him to go after "Bad" guys since they "Deserve" it.

By removing that last bit, the anime basically keeps the joke while making him more sympathetic since it sounds like he at least realizes his inclinations are wrong and locked himself away to avoid acting on them.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Not a change, more a cut.

In the anime he claims to have turned himself in to stop himself from going after the guys he fancies, whereas in the manga he comes to the conclusion that it's still okay for him to go after "Bad" guys since they "Deserve" it.

By removing that last bit, the anime basically keeps the joke while making him more sympathetic since it sounds like he at least realizes his inclinations are wrong and locked himself away to avoid acting on them.

That last bit is only in the prison escape extra, though. He doesn't say that while facing Sea King.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, and they cut the prison escape.

It may have only been an extra chapter, but it still contained story-relevant information they decided to gloss over rather than cover. It's not the same as the majority of extra chapters which are just side stories with no bearing on the main "Plot" of OPM, such as it is.

IIRC when Pri-Pri Prisoner shows up in the manga he just says the Sea King attacked some dudes he was into. He doesn't mention why he was in prison in the first place, making the anime's choice of bringing that bit up but not the other bit a deliberate cut.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, and they cut the prison escape.

It may have only been an extra chapter, but it still contained story-relevant information they decided to gloss over rather than cover. It's not the same as the majority of extra chapters which are just side stories with no bearing on the main "Plot" of OPM, such as it is.

IIRC when Pri-Pri Prisoner shows up in the manga he just says the Sea King attacked some dudes he was into. He doesn't mention why he was in prison in the first place, making the anime's choice of bringing that bit up but not the other bit a deliberate cut.

Pretty sure them cutting the prison escape was just a happy coincidence, it isn't in the compilations they have, right?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm pretty sure it is, but I don't own any of the Japanese volumes so someone else will have to confirm or deny.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pretty sure them cutting the prison escape was just a happy coincidence, it isn't in the compilations they have, right?
I think it's safe to assume competence on the part of the team doing this anime.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think they didn't include it out of the goodness of their hearts I just think they didn't have any space for it, or any of the extra chapters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I don't think they didn't include it out of the goodness of their hearts I just think they didn't have any space for it, or any of the extra chapters.

That, or they're saving them for the 10 minute OVAs attached to each Blu-Ray (of which there should be 6).

The prison escape would make a lot of sense to have on the 7-8 Blu-Ray.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It could be something they didn't have time to include or something they plan to include as an OVA.

Either way, the point is mostly just that when people talk about Mad House "Changing" or "Cutting" dialogue, that's what they're talking about (perhaps incorrectly). Depending on how they first came across the series, they might not even know that chapter was an extra. I certainly didn't until I found a copy of vol. 4 and saw it labeled as such in the table of contents.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know the first OVA was an original work, but if Saitama and the Police doesn't get animated I'm going to be very cross.

Also it's not a spoiler to mention that there exists a Murata side chapter involving Saitama and the Police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Prisoner and Sea King's fight could've looked better after the Angel Rush- the part where he sent him flying could've been sped up too- and I'm disappointed that Saitama's face stinger at the end of the episode wasn't because they'd given him directions.

That's all the complaints I have. Great episode.

• Locked thread