Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, at the naval shipard I interned at here in the Netherlands they had the hulls of ships other than corvettes/frigates, so tranport and patrol ships, welded in Romania and then hauled over here to install all the knowledge intensive stuff.

One of the engineers there consulted on the fatigue issues with the new uscg cutter, very badly designed for the seas it is supposed to operate in apparantly and he was incredulous when I told him those cost 600+ mil a piece.

The yard had recently built 4 similar sized holland class OPVs for roughly that amount for the entire project (150m usd per ship).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Problem with the US yards is that the Jones Act requires US steel which greatly ups the cost. US yards are also full up since there aren't very many and they also don't have a huge amount of experience building ships since it's too expensive.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Well the NTSB preliminary report is out, just a two page summary of what we know about the incident. The US Navy has been contracted to locate the wreck and recover the VDR.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

NTSB thinks they've found the wreck of the El Faro- 15,000 feet down off the Bahamas. They're planning to send an ROV down with a camera to confirm.

https://gcaptain.com/ntsb-wreckage-believed-to-be-missing-ship-el-faro-found/#.VjaFHLerRD8

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Navy found El Faro.

With the loving bridge torn off.

drat.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
El Faro owners file lawsuit to block legal action by families of ship's crew
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/01/us/el-faro-lawsuit/

:smith: drat what a way to go poor bastards

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
I'm surprised there were no survivors, given there was enough notice for at least one person to don an immersion suit. Then again, open loving lifeboats :stare:

I was on a ship called Iron Monarch as a cadet; two open lifeboats, and one had a crank operated propeller (as in people grabbed the crank shaft running the length of the boat and turned the screw). The first task for the lifeboat that had an engine was to take the other lifeboat under tow.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

StopShootingMe posted:

I'm surprised there were no survivors, given there was enough notice for at least one person to don an immersion suit. Then again, open loving lifeboats :stare:

I was on a ship called Iron Monarch as a cadet; two open lifeboats, and one had a crank operated propeller (as in people grabbed the crank shaft running the length of the boat and turned the screw). The first task for the lifeboat that had an engine was to take the other lifeboat under tow.

Is that thing still around? Or am I thinking of the Chieftan.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

They're both gone now :)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Really? drat i saw the chieftan not that long ago. Looked like a heap of poo poo anyway.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

She always looked like poo poo. Never sailed on her, apparently noisy as hell during discharge, the conveyors ran up through the accommodation pretty much.

We're down to one product tanker, a few international trading bulk carriers, some coastal dry bulk ships and the offshore industry now :) And from what I hear the offshore exploration and drilling sector won't pick up until around 2017. I know a lot of guys trying to scrounge up work at the moment...

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm pretty lucky I guess. Until the new icebreaker comes out i'm pretty safe.

Hope to be out by then. Maybe do one trip on that if possible for street cred then bail.

Even if shipping reform gets vetoed it'll just mean an even more elongated death of the industry.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

StopShootingMe posted:

I know a lot of guys trying to scrounge up work at the moment...

Still a massive shortage of engineers under 60 with class 1's, both my first engineers were dragged out of retirement.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)
Just got an email from my company telling me I might have to sail as an AB for a while after I've finished my cadetship, but on full officers pay. Hooray for the oil market downturn??

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ferretsrule posted:

sail as an AB ... on full officers pay. Hooray

Sucks for your sea time, but I wouldn't complain too much. All the cash but none of be responsibilities? poo poo I'd take it.

We have plenty of guys who finished their cadet ships with flying colours sitting on the beach right now, because there's no work for them and we can't ship them out unlicensed (Union rules). We're not even in the oil industry.

It's years like his one that makes me glad I have a steady office job.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

At least .gov ships are still reliable work. You can always count on American imperialism. :911:

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Most of the mates I graduated with are sailing as ABs, myself included.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
weyyyyyy

quote:

Russian sailor drank half a litre of rum before crashing 7,000-ton ship full speed into Scotland

A Russian officer on watch when a 423ft cargo ship ran aground at full speed in Scotland had drunk half a litre of rum before taking up his post, an investigation has found. The Lysblink Seaways vessel was travelling from Belfast to Skogn in Norway with a cargo of paper when it became stuck off the west coast of Scotland near Kilchoan in the Ardnamurchan peninsula on 18 February this year.

The chief officer on watch, a 36-year-old Russian, had consumed half a litre of rum in his cabin before taking up his shift as the sole officer on watch at midnight, but had “become inattentive due to the effects of alcohol consumption”. His actions led the ship to run aground at full speed into the rocky foreshore, where it remained for two days during bad weather.

It resulted in such bad damage to the ship that the vessel had to be scrapped, while damage to the hull and some fuel tanks led to 25 tonnes of marine gas oil entering the water, a report from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) found. Despite the DFDS company running a zero-tolerance policy for employees, the officer had managed to consume enough alcohol to make him eight times over the alcohol limit, the MailOnline reports.

The investigation also found the bridge navigational watch alarm system, “which could have alerted the crew to the officer’s incapacity, had not been switched on and an off-track alarm on the ECS2 had been silenced”. “Although a radar watch alarm had sounded every 6 minutes, the somnolent officer was able to reset the alarm without leaving his chair,” the report noted.

But despite the zero tolerance policy, Lysblink Seaways carried a bonded store, which included a stock of spirits, beer and wine, the report stated. “Records showed that the bonded store was regularly replenished, and empty beer, wine and spirit bottles and cartons found on board after the accident indicated significant levels of alcohol consumption by the crew.”

A DFDS spokesman said: "What happened on the ship was completely irresponsible. We have a very clear and very clearly communicated zero-tolerance alcohol policy which cannot be misunderstood. We have never seen an officer having violated the policy before and we have never before seen such negligence of our safety procedures. The officer is no longer employed by DFDS. We hope this will not cast a shadow over our other officers who rightfully enjoy a very good reputation."

The MAIB report did not contain any recommendations as it said the ship's owners DFDS had already taken action, including removing bonded stores of alcohol on some of its sister vessels.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...f-a6744161.html

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Never underestimate the power of alcohol on Russians (or anyone else)...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That's about 17 ounces btw.

My favourite part is that the owner had a no alcohol policy, but the ship manager... Not so much.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Likes his ships like his Scotch, on the rocks.

I was awoken by a STP (Sewage Treatment Plant) High Level Alarm to post this.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
28 more days making sure the vacuum system doesn't gently caress up. Should get to fly home Christmas day.

Departing Ningbo now, need to find a place to get a pig to roast in Chiwan or Singapore badly.

Oh, we just lost a fuel pump so I get to stand watch on a diesel ship while we try to get back on schedule.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 27, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

off to aussie to join a fishing boat

offshore's completely hosed down here so fishing it is!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I survived a firing round! :toot:

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

off to aussie to join a fishing boat

offshore's completely hosed down here so fishing it is!

Not that loving Russian thing the Geelong Star?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Drydocking and 5Y classing

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
how does DP operations work on a AHTS with pitch propellers and rudders. Retractable azimuth somewhere in the stern?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Trench_Rat posted:

how does DP operations work on a AHTS with pitch propellers and rudders. Retractable azimuth somewhere in the stern?

2 side thrusters and retractable azimuth forward, 1 side thruster and a retractable azimuth in the aft.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Azimuth isn't necessarily required though I mean we do subsea work with 2 tunnels fore and aft and becker rudders.

magpie
Apr 28, 2006
I'm bored of being British and would like to move to Canada or the USA. The only qualification I will have is a UK Chief Mates Unlimited licence and seagoing experience on oil and LNG vessels.

Does anyone know if there is a place in any part of the Canadian or American shore or sea based maritime industries for an immigrant? It's my limited understanding that the sea based roles in America are for trained citizens only. How about Canada? Is it possible to convert my British ticket to get a certificate of equivalent competency to sail on Canadian coastal vessels?

Have any of you come across any Brits working in terminals or harbors as loading master, surveying, etc? I'm thinking/hoping more of operations work rather than in some oil major superintendent/chartering office.

This is probably a question for an immigration lawyer but would anyone know if I can live permanently in either of the two countries and still work for a foreign shipping company as I do now? They are willing to fly crew to and from anywhere in the world but I think it would be a complex or prohibitive tax problem.

Could anyone please link me to some of the better maritime recruitment websites for North American shore based jobs?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

magpie posted:

Is it possible to convert my British ticket to get a certificate of equivalent competency to sail on Canadian coastal vessels?

Transport Canada does not issues certificates of equivalences or whatever they're called; you'd need a Canadian COC. You might be able to get some of your sea time recognized but I think you need to be a landed immigrant before they'll issue you anything.

magpie posted:

Have any of you come across any Brits working in terminals or harbors as loading master, surveying, etc?

Does Lloyd's ever hire anyone without a British accents?

magpie posted:

This is probably a question for an immigration lawyer but would anyone know if I can live permanently in either of the two countries and still work for a foreign shipping company as I do now? They are willing to fly crew to and from anywhere in the world but I think it would be a complex or prohibitive tax problem.

I don't think you could get a permanent visa without a job in Canada, but quite a few Canadian mariners fly oversea and work foreign flag. I don't think there's a special tax regime for that though and if you spend more than six months out of province in a year your healthcare becomes... Problematic, so why would you base yourself in Canada instead of... Somewhere warm?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Anyone know how MEBA is doing these days? I have friends I graduated with saying it's a fine time to join and it hasn't been swamped with oilfield guys, and I'd sure love to get out of the oilfield and start building a resume that includes more than hose dragging and babysitting warrantied equipment.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Anyone know how MEBA is doing these days? I have friends I graduated with saying it's a fine time to join and it hasn't been swamped with oilfield guys, and I'd sure love to get out of the oilfield and start building a resume that includes more than hose dragging and babysitting warrantied equipment.

I don't know MEBA but AMO seems to be perpetually short of engineers, or at least there's always multiple engineer jobs on the board.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Go to Oakland, get your physical and drug test and take my job when they call it this Thursday.

If you ship out in the summer you can get out.

MEBA just lost one ship but is pursuing the issue through the NLRB. Might lose two others but that's up in the air. Gained several ships last year. April - July is a good time to ship if you can't grab this job. You want this job, good people. Pay is ok and it's only the 3E but good work envirnment.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 14, 2015

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm headed offshore one last(?) time in the morning for three weeks so I can't go chasing jobs in Oakland, unfortunately. Good advice on when to ship out. Long Beach still the busiest hall out there?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Depends on what you are looking for. LA is busy but Maersk moved to the USEC and cut back on the number going to NY. APL moved the S 12s to an Asian shuttle. So LA is busy on the West Coast and it's split between NY and Norfolk on the East. I've always had good luck sitting in Oakland and only sailed Matson and Maersk to get group 1. You can catch some alright fly outs that way.

You can also go sit in the Doghouse in Hawaii and work night jobs and wait for a decent shipping job to show up.

You will want to get out before the Superbowl or be able to wait till summer shipping season.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wait, Norfolk actually has jobs? Never knew that one was viable.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Wait, Norfolk actually has jobs? Never knew that one was viable.

Maersk is sending more ships there now. Some ports are good ports to go to for fly out jobs or to pick jobs up off the open board.

Flying home on Christmas Eve. Always fly business class!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Christmas at the trash mud dock is just not the same as Christmas offshore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Christmas at the trash mud dock is just not the same as Christmas offshore.

The last two years were Gulf of Aden Christmas and Diego Garcia Christmas for me so its nice to be home.

• Locked thread