Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Fried Chicken posted:

Live in Indiana for a while and you will come to find exactly how accurate that show is. It is very easy to do a 1 to 1 map of things they mocked there, and things people in Indiana really do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYdt4UikO1o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fishmech posted:

No American citizens have an actual right to own guns, so 14,000 of them not being able to buy new ones is in fact irrelevant.

This is dumb and bad

Whether or not you think there's a right to own guns doesn't really matter. What matters is that under law people do, so taking that right away without judicial process establishes a precedent that would make it easier to take away other rights without due process, because a court would have to listen to the argument "Hey, this was ok for this constitutional right, so it's ok for these other constitutional rights." This is especially a concern since the Heller decision has explicitly ruled gun ownership as a constitutional right, so there's fairly limited legal wiggle room.

And at that point suddenly people on the Terror Watch List don't get trials any more or have their homes searched without warrants -- all things, incidentally, that the average Trump voter would probably support right now, so this debate isn't purely theoretical.

Said another way I honestly don't care what you think, in abstract Fishmech land, are "real" rights or "fake" rights or whatever. I care about what actual American courts would listen to in the real world.

(Of course, there's the argument then that American courts would overturn these laws. But that's a gamble at best because 1) courts don't always follow the law, and 2) getting justice in our legal system is expensive and takes time, especially when the right to access the court in the first place is part of the issue).

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

GalacticAcid posted:

So now we know why Ted Cruz wanted to build a wall on the Canadian border.

I thought that was Scott Walker though?

I mean, both of them look like someone held a lighter to their faces and melted their faces, so I can understand the confusion.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

size1one posted:

You're right, but there's still enough private sellers that you're not prevented from buying firearms in any practical sense. You can also find a private seller on one of numerous online classified sites. You're not even limited in terms of choice of weapon. Here's 200+ AR15s and AK47s available from private sellers, and that's just virginia

Thus further illustrating there's no need to shed crocodile tears over it being slightly harder for some people to get guns.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is dumb and bad

Whether or not you think there's a right to own guns doesn't really matter. What matters is that under law people do, so taking that right away without judicial process establishes a precedent that would make it easier to take away other rights without due process, because a court would have to listen to the argument "Hey, this was ok for this constitutional right, so it's ok for these other constitutional rights." This is especially a concern since the Heller decision has explicitly ruled gun ownership as a constitutional right, so there's fairly limited legal wiggle room.

And at that point suddenly people on the Terror Watch List don't get trials any more or have their homes searched without warrants -- all things, incidentally, that the average Trump voter would probably support right now, so this debate isn't purely theoretical.

Said another way I honestly don't care what you think, in abstract Fishmech land, are "real" rights or "fake" rights or whatever. I care about what actual American courts would listen to in the real world.

(Of course, there's the argument then that American courts would overturn these laws. But that's a gamble at best because 1) courts don't always follow the law, and 2) getting justice in our legal system is expensive and takes time, especially when the right to access the court in the first place is part of the issue).

You can't take away a right when it never existed. There's never been a real right to own guns, there never will be either.

Especially again considering that these poor oppressed people can walk into practically any gun show in the country for their murder toy if Bob the local gun store owner won't sell to them.

American courts used to defend the "right" to treat people as chattel too, so needless to say it's not a good guide on whether things the founding slave owners were ok with are truly valid in the space year 2015, capiche?

We live in a country where gun ownership averages to over 4 guns per person who owns a gun. This isn't rights, it's lunacy.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 23, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

No American citizens have an actual right to own guns, so 14,000 of them not being able to buy new ones is in fact irrelevant.

DeusExMachinima posted:

The due process clause is in the Fifth and it actually does apply whether or not the forbidden activity you've been accused of is an enumerated right, sorry.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I plead the fourth!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm baffled as to why people keep engaging with Fishmech.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Since guns you don't own yet aren't your rightful property, the 5th doesn't apply. Sorry gun lovers.

There's a lot of people you can't rent a car to either, big whoop.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's weird, you somehow understand the problem, but not the premise :psyduck:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Imo guns should be illegal and confiscated, but it still seems bad to restrict their ownership outside of due process?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

So hey, you know that part in Bioshock 3, where they substitute Founding Fathers into religious tableaus and iconography? And how this is used as a stark way of pointing out that the group has adopted a similar form of Franco's Christian Fascism, marrying nativism, national mythos, and fundamentalist christianity into an authoritarian power system? And how the whole thing is meant as an over the top satire of veneration of historical figures and a criticism of such authoritarian tendencies?

Guess what Indiana is no poo poo for real completely unironically doing?

Like I'm not even particularly religious, and this offends me as sacrilegious.

You may want to avoid visiting the Capitol then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SSNeoman posted:

It's weird, you somehow understand the problem, but not the premise :psyduck:

The only problem is the proposal doesn't go far enough. Make a list with at least 315 million more people, for instance, and check against that.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Same terrible compulsion that forces people to gaze into the Ark of the Covenant, I assume.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm a very casual D&D reader, and never understood what Fishmech represented until now. Like, I'm as much in favor of restricting the right to bear arms as the next hyperleftist goon, but I also value things like constitutional law, jurisprudence, due process and the other trappings that come with constitutional interpretation and individual rights and liberties. I'd rather ban all guns in a way that makes Scalia choke on his own ideology; it is far more elegant and satisfying.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Ah, yes, combat knives, one of the most regulated industries in America

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Ah, yes, combat knives, one of the most regulated industries in America

Switchblades were once banned in almost every state, and even today are still banned in most. No one said combat knives though.

Similarly it's common for carrying a real sword around to be punished more than carrying a gun, and let's not even get into what goes on if you want to have most forms of bombs, or hell, fireworks in many jurisdictions.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Are there progressives in this thread seriously arguing any effort revolving around the no-fly list should involve anything besides demanding its immediate non-existence?

Conservatives are still the best at rapidly and loudly denouncing their stated principles when they become connected to a term on their established bogeyman list, but it's not because progressives don't try too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It's like moths to a very dumb and pedantic flame.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

quote:

The U.S. Constitution does not adequately define "arms". When it was adopted, "arms" included muzzle-loaded muskets and pistols, swords, knives, bows with arrows, and spears. However, a common- law definition would be "light infantry weapons which can be carried and used, together with ammunition, by a single militiaman, functionally equivalent to those commonly used by infantrymen in land warfare." That certainly includes modern rifles and handguns, full-auto machine guns and shotguns, grenade and grenade launchers, flares, smoke, tear gas, incendiary rounds, and anti-tank weapons, but not heavy artillery, rockets, or bombs, or lethal chemical, biological or nuclear weapons. Somewhere in between we need to draw the line. The standard has to be that "arms" includes weapons which would enable citizens to effectively resist government tyranny, but the precise line will be drawn politically rather than constitutionally. The rule should be that "arms" includes all light infantry weapons that do not cause mass destruction. If we follow the rule that personal rights should be interpreted broadly and governmental powers narrowly, which was the intention of the Framers, instead of the reverse, then "arms" must be interpreted broadly.

from https://www.constitution.org

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fishmech posted:

The only problem is the proposal doesn't go far enough. Make a list with at least 315 million more people, for instance, and check against that.

Just give them your list of all 322 million Americans you hate and the problem should be sorted out, then. We can write your name in the margins, don't worry.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Has this been posted yet? A Black Lives Matter protester was beaten at a Trump rally. Trump later voiced support for it saying ‘Maybe he should have been roughed up’

quote:

Mercutio Southall Jr. — a well-known local activist who has been repeatedly arrested while fighting what he says is unfair treatment of blacks — interrupted Trump’s rally and could be heard shouting, “Black lives matter!” A fight broke out, prompting Trump to briefly halt his remarks and demand the removal of Southall.

“Get him the hell out of here, will you, please?” Trump said on Saturday morning. “Get him out of here. Throw him out!”

At one point, Southall fell to the ground and was surrounded by several white men who appeared to be kicking and punching him, according to video captured by CNN. A Washington Post reporter in the crowd watched as one of the men put his hands on Southall’s neck and heard a female onlooker repeatedly shout: “Don’t choke him!”

As security officers got Southall on his feet and led him out of the building, he was repeatedly pushed and shoved by people in the crowd. The crowd alternated between booing and cheering. There were chants of “All lives matter!”

“Maybe he should have been roughed up, because it was absolutely disgusting what he was doing,” Trump said on the Fox News Channel on Sunday morning. “I have a lot of fans, and they were not happy about it. And this was a very obnoxious guy who was a trouble-maker who was looking to make trouble.”

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 23, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hahaha what a wonderful source. I would like to donate to this wonderful group of constitutional scholars. How would I go about that? Oh, here we go:

quote:

Make them payable to "Jon Roland, trustee for the Constitution Society", or to one of our other trustees. Do not make checks payable to "Constitution Society". We don't have a bank account for the Constitution Society, and don't intend to get one unless or until we can find a banking institution independent of government control that does business in gold or silver. We can't accept checks made payable only to "Constitution Society". It is our principled position that banks on state territory that denominate in Federal Reserve "dollars" are unconstitutional. On state territory only gold or silver are constitutional legal tender, although we would accept certificates for gold or silver.

RON PAUL 2012 AUDIT THE FED

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

For those few who were still saying that Kasich was the sane one...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/kasich-proposes-new-government-agency-promote-judeo-christian-values-n465101

quote:

As part of a broad national security plan to defeat ISIS, Republican Presidential candidate John Kasich proposed creating a new government agency to push Judeo-Christian values around the world.

The new agency, which he hasn't yet named, would promote a Jewish- and Christian-based belief system to four regions of the world: China, Iran, Russia and the Middle East.

"We need to beam messages around the world" about the freedoms Americans enjoy, Kasich said in an interview with NBC News Tuesday. "It means freedom, it means opportunity, it means respect for women, it means freedom to gather, it means so many things."

He defended creating a new government agency at a time when fellow Republican presidential candidates discuss eliminating government agencies to making the government smaller.

"There's nobody who's spent more time shrinking government and cutting budgets than I have," Kasich, the former head of the House Budget Committee said, adding that not all government programs are equal.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Litany Unheard posted:

Hahaha what a wonderful source. I would like to donate to this wonderful group of constitutional scholars. How would I go about that? Oh, here we go:

Ugh, this isn't as fun as watching fishmech immediately fly off the handle. Way to loving go, killjoy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chantilly Say posted:

Just give them your list of all 322 million Americans you hate and the problem should be sorted out, then. We can write your name in the margins, don't worry.

Here's a list of every citizen of the country. It's also the list of everyone who should need actual, specific reasons to have a gun, and the list of everyone who shouldn't be able to get a gun just willy nilly. And it's the list of people who it's ok to refuse to allow a gun sale to.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Litany Unheard posted:

Why the gently caress would you wanna audit the fed?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Edit: ^^^^ Or bait this guy. He at least switches up his gimmick every now and again. Though it's been a bit heavy on the anti-Muslim stuff lately.

Ugh, this isn't as fun as watching fishmech immediately fly off the handle. Way to loving go, killjoy.

Just click the question mark under his username and read the billion other times he went on a pedantic tirade.

Besides baiting him is like fishing in a barrel with dynamite. Why even bother?

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 23, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why the gently caress would you wanna audit the fed?
I dunno, ask a libertarian

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Does it already get audited like multiple times per year? Is this the common GOP belief that if no wrongdoing was found, the investigation never took place?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Does it already get audited like multiple times per year? Is this the common GOP belief that if no wrongdoing was found, the investigation never took place?
It definitely submits its own reports, I don't know about independent external auditing though, which is what they want

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fishmech posted:

Here's a list of every citizen of the country. It's also the list of everyone who should need actual, specific reasons to have a gun, and the list of everyone who shouldn't be able to get a gun just willy nilly. And it's the list of people who it's ok to refuse to allow a gun sale to.

Sir, is this list handwritten? And why is it simply titled "WHINY CHILDREN WHO AREN'T AS SMART AS ME"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What happened to Nintendo Kid?

Someone tell Kasich that Radio Free Europe still exists.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The "audit the fed" thing is primarily based on people believing that the federal reserve stuff is just making things up any real investigation would therefore quickly lead to disbandment and the immediate resumption of the gold standard.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

There are a number of exceptions written into law that protects information from being released/disclosed by an audit of the Federal Reserve. Here's what's currently excluded from an audit:

quote:

(1) transactions for or with a foreign central bank, government of a foreign country, or nonprivate international financing organization;
(2) deliberations, decisions, or actions on monetary policy matters, including discount window operations, reserves of member banks, securities credit, interest on deposits, and open market operations;
(3) transactions made under the direction of the Federal Open Market Committee; or
(4) a part of a discussion or communication among or between members of the Board and officers and employees of the Federal Reserve System related to clauses (1)–(3) of this subsection.

I suppose the argument for keeping this info privileged is that the Fed needs to do some things behind closed doors in order for their actions to be effective, or so that their actions can be done free from too much political pressure.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Wow, a whole state of "that kid." Does everyone also run with their arms behind their backs?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Litany Unheard posted:

Edit: ^^^^ Or bait this guy. He at least switches up his gimmick every now and again. Though it's been a bit heavy on the anti-Muslim stuff lately.

Just click the question mark under his username and read the billion other times he went on a pedantic tirade.

Besides baiting him is like fishing in a barrel with dynamite. Why even bother?

Fishing in a barrel with dynamite sounds really loving rad

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

What happened to Nintendo Kid?

Original Flavor Fishmech is back from the gaschamber.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fishing in a barrel with dynamite sounds really loving rad
The novelty wears off surprisingly fast

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Audit the Fed is the magic spell fiat money is weak against. It's in the same school of magic as gold fringe and writing your name in caps to prevent judicial power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

JT Jag posted:

The novelty wears off surprisingly fast

Not if you use shoddily-made barrels

• Locked thread