Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double negative
Jul 7, 2003

The look on Milligan's face as they're shooting up the Gerhardt home was incredible. He's having so much fun, and I have to imagine Bokeem Woodbine was legitimately feeling the same thing. This episode was such good TV, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They're going to do a no country for old men show next and the first season is going to be about sheriff bell's youth and wartime experience.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Frostwerks posted:

They're going to do a no country for old men show next and the first season is going to be about sheriff bell's youth and wartime experience.

why are you posting this nonsense

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea that's fair. We are obviously supposed to hate Dodd. Bear I feel like we were supposed to think of him as more reasonable at least until this episode.

I still like Bear, because he actually listened to Ron Swanson, Esquire talking sense.

Speaking of which, holy poo poo how good was Nick Offerman in this episode? The beard should have been a giveaway that he was a barrister but it still surprised me.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

double negative posted:

The look on Milligan's face as they're shooting up the Gerhardt home was incredible. He's having so much fun, and I have to imagine Bokeem Woodbine was legitimately feeling the same thing. This episode was such good TV, goddamn.

Agreed. I can't afford it right now, but if I ever requested a Fargo gif to replace my hideous avatar, it'd probably be Mike's little smirk as he's filling the Gerhardt estate with lead.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lutha Mahtin posted:

why are you posting this nonsense

Why are you posting at all

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

hepscat posted:

There's a French play named "Rhinoceros" but offhand all I remember is everyone turning into rhinos. Something very avant garde that I read in high school English.

It's by Eugene Ionesco. The play deals with one lone human running around the town where everyone is turning into a rhinoceros. No one in the town believes him, like his best friend, and in a scene (it's really a great scene) "Everyone in town has succumbed to rhinoceritis save for Berenger, Dudard and Daisy. Berenger is locked up in his apartment, yelling at the rhinos that rush by for having destroyed civilization until Dudard arrives to check on him. Dudard trivializes the transformations by saying that people have the right to choose what they do, even transform; but Berenger insists that the transformations couldn't be voluntary since his friend Jean had initially hated the rhinos and that he was probably brainwashed. Dudard counterargues that people can change their minds and gradually grows more accepting until he concludes that he must "follow [his] peers and [his] leaders" before departing and turning into a rhino."

Really, the whole town is turning to poo poo and there's one character that sees this and wants to stop it. "Discovering he is completely alone, Berenger laments his behavior with Daisy. In his solitude he begins to doubt his existence – his language, his appearance, and his mind. Alone, he finds himself in the wrong and attempts to change into a rhinoceros. He struggles and fails. He returns to the mirror, face-to-face with his fate and breaks down as he struggles to accept the place he has given himself. Suddenly, he snaps out of it and renews his vow to take on the rhinos. Berenger valiantly shouts "I'm not capitulating!" to the audience before returning to the window to hurl abuse at the passing rhinoceros."

Basically:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Inspirational poster for the parinoid schizpophrenic.

I forgot that in the fist couple epsiodes of season 1, and really the whole season, that I had thought billy bob's character may not be real and just a manifestation of Billbo's evil

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
This is not really about Fargo but should probably interest people here. Fargo creator Noah Hawley to to write TV adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle for FX.

AV Club Article posted:

Back in April, we reported that Kurt Vonnegut’s fourth novel, Cat’s Cradle, had been optioned for TV by IM Global Television. At that point almost nothing was known about the project other than the fact that it would indeed use Cat’s Cradle as its source material, which is implicit in a TV show labeled as Cat’s Cradle adaptation. Now though, according to Deadline, a precious few details have emerged: the show will live on FX as a limited series, and be written and executive produced by Fargo creator Noah Hawley.

Vonnegut’s original work was published in 1963 and takes on science, technology, and religion with equal satirical fire. After the novel’s narrator, John, becomes involved in the lives of the adult children of Felix Hoenikker, a fictional co-creator of the atomic bomb, he travels to the fake Caribbean island of San Lorenzo and encounters a strange outlawed religion called Bokononism that many of the area’s inhabitants practice anyway. Through Hoenikker’s children he also learns about ice-nine, a way to freeze water at room temperature that could be devastating if used improperly. Needless to say, destruction and dark humor ensue.

Since Hawley has demonstrated success in making darkly funny limited-run dramas for FX, the chances that Vonnegut’s unique satirical voice will be appropriately translated onto screen are pretty high. Even so, hopefully Hawley is aware that Vonnegut himself gave the book an “A-plus” rating—apparently there’s no room for error on this one.

I am very down for this. The writer of my favourite TV show adapting work by one of my favourite authors? Yes please.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

buddhanc posted:

That was some loving incredible television. I'm not well versed on the behind the scenes action for fargo, is there going to be a third season?

I haven't been keeping up with the numbers, but the attitude towards Fargo, from both Noah Hawley and FX, is "You do not do Fargo just to do Fargo." If FX wants another one, Hawley will deliver it when he's good and ready, not because they need something for next year.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

thehoodie posted:

This is not really about Fargo but should probably interest people here. Fargo creator Noah Hawley to to write TV adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle for FX.

I am very down for this. The writer of my favourite TV show adapting work by one of my favourite authors? Yes please.

oh god oh god please let this be as amazing as I imagine.

Massive Vonnegut fan--the sort who has his own screenplay adaptation of Deadeye Dick in the works.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I really need to read more Vonnegut, but yeah that sounds rad as hell. Please keep all the names intact! Ice 9!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

thehoodie posted:

ice-nine, a way to freeze water at room temperature
what

I hope this turns out well but I'm gonna anticipate a stinker, just like any other Vonnegut adaptation. At least with Hawley there's a good chance he'll get the tone right I guess.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 19, 2015

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ruddiger posted:

Also, best part was Mad Dog Sonny cracking open beers during the standoff at the police station.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

timp posted:

I was thrown off by the Jabberwocky reading too (not in a bad way, but like Terra-da-loo said, puzzled by the significance of its inclusion.) I'd like to posit that, in addition to whatever the initial purpose was, it was meant to mirror Karl Weather's tangled prose in some way. He's on a mission too but he might as well be spouting gibberish.

Its about a boy (Mike) who is warned by his father (Joe) to be wary of a fearsome beast (the Gerhardt family). The boy takes up his sword (gun) and finds and slays the beast before bringing its head back to his overjoyed father.

Joe and the Kansas City frontline being dead is an unfortunate technicality but the spirit of the tale remains. It is revealing of his intention. Or maybe not because the telling of the tale is a real mix up. After "kiss my grits", you think boy Mike sets out to hunt the beast called Dodd at the insistence of his conflicted daughter, but instead he hunts Floyd/Otto in the Gerhardt family lair, whilst Jubjub bird Dodd and frumious Bandersnatch Bear are distracted. He wants the figurative and literal head of the family so he can gallumph (gallop triumphantly?) back to his hotel room and place it in a box next to...whats left of Joe. Then stare forlornly out the window.

Edit: this show really is the best.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 20, 2015

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

WanderingKid posted:

Its about a boy (Mike) who is warned by his father (Joe) to be wary of a fearsome beast (the Gerhardt family). The boy takes up his sword (gun) and finds and slays the beast before bringing its head back to his overjoyed father.

Joe and the Kansas City frontline being dead is an unfortunate technicality but the spirit of the tale remains. It is revealing of his intention. Or maybe not because the telling of the tale is a real mix up. After "kiss my grits", you think boy Mike sets out to hunt the beast called Dodd at the insistence of his conflicted daughter, but instead he hunts Floyd/Otto in the Gerhardt family lair, whilst Jubjub bird Dodd and frumious Bandersnatch Bear are distracted. He wants the figurative and literal head of the family so he can gallumph (gallop triumphantly?) back to his hotel room and place it in a box next to...whats left of Joe. Then stare forlornly out the window.

Edit: this show really is the best.

This is a very interesting take and more likely what they were going for when it was written. When I was thinking about it, the idea of assigning characters to monsters mentioned did cross my mind, but I honestly didn't have the chance to think about it hard/long enough to pull anything like this from it, myself.

I appreciate that it opens itself up so easily to this level of analysis and interpretation.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Now I know where I've heard Mike before: Dave Chappelle's impression of a white dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3dk6KAvQM

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Who the gently caress is the shadow men that ramonds brother has a talk with? What kind of syndiycate has researchers and a payroll to get a powerpoint printed for a meeting about taking over a mob terrotiry?

The first 2 times i thought not much of it, but after a third and fourth and aliens and ron swanson talkin conspiracy in the first ep for a fith time i finally realized: who the gently caress does that? who has the resources to do that?

The NSA? .... thats too modern, they are recent. The CIA? The fbi?

The smoking man?

this show is very good.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Now I know where I've heard Mike before: Dave Chappelle's impression of a white dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3dk6KAvQM

i may have posted this already, but i keep getting the guy playing mike confused AS chapelle.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Mameluke posted:

After this episode, it looks like the only surviving group of Gerhardt goons left are Bear's; Peggy/Dodd killed Dodd's two (but he still has Hahnzee), and Mike and the Kitchen Brother killed those at the compound. While Dodd's pretty emasculated already, I doubt he'll get any more support later on.

On the compound attack, death poll? Floyd will likely survive, and if Simone died it'll be on camera next week. Nobody kicked over Otto's chair, though.

Also did anyone spot a UFO reference this week?

There's a light in the sky above the police cruiser as Lou is driving Ed to jail

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's lens flare or a similar optical effect, but I also don't think it's coincidence.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Epsiode leaked?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Looks like it was leaked over 14 hours ago by some Hulu error. I'm gonna resist temptation.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Season 3 greenlit.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

jerkstoresup posted:

Looks like it was leaked over 14 hours ago by some Hulu error. I'm gonna resist temptation.

I didn't.

all I'm gonna say is what the gently caress.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gonna watch it in like 30 minutes. Close enough.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol if this episode is just 56 minutes of people being murdered in a montage of scenes

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I love the way nightowl throws a punch.

Tossin some real whoppers

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

quote:

At press tour this summer, I asked Hawley whether the new season would feature hints about what the third would be.

"We’re on the UFO," he joked. "It’s going to be, this space station 'Fargo' in the year 2555.

talk about some foreshadowing(?)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

talk about some foreshadowing(?)

gently caress i thought about that for some reason earlier, if fargo jumped to the future somehow.

Maybe it was a different show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm watching the leaked episode now and holy poo poo this turtleneck gold chain guy is killin' me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It's kind of funny though because Hawley said that during the summer, and possibly just as an aside to that reporter. Unless they, like, screened an episode during that press event, his comment would just sound like a dumb joke. But now with the whole maybe-UFO subplot revealed, it makes me wonder why he said that. I'm not trying to go into TVIV tinfoil detective mode, but it'd be interesting to know if it was just something that slipped out, or if he was intentionally doing a David X. Cohen style "make a tiny reference, and see how nuts all the Internet nerds get about it".

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This is a very exciting show.

for a moment i thought meth damon and the indian mad a pact but couldnt quite firgure out the motivation. im guessing that is a false assumption

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You're a poo poo cop. Y'know that, right?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

dad alien, so what

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I'm loving the blurb on imdb's listing:

quote:

Lou and Hank investigate in Fargo; The King of Breakfast visits Betsy and Molly.
Whatever that is I'm sure it will be amazing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

spoon0042 posted:

I'm loving the blurb on imdb's listing:

Whatever that is I'm sure it will be amazing.
:ohdear:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Hello Karl.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sometimes a girl just wants to bust a nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Oh poo poo, Bear.

• Locked thread