Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do not embark on any romance options, ever.

I regret going back on that policy intensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Even though I doubt I really need to bother with spoiler tags, just doing it as a just in case thing.

I'm right at the end of the Chapter 2 for Bounty Hunter and about to do the last quest that sets up for Chapter 3. I figured to research around, especially with all the talk of callback references that later in the game is doing and I was wondering what sort of callbacks happen if I choose to mostly go the options to get the targets Darth Tormen to come along even at the cost of sticking it to the Empire, make Jun Seros realize how his personal vendetta screwed up more than served any concept of justice he had, and if I also choose to let the Chancellor release the information about the Jedi vendetta and take down Darth Tormen .

I know not much if anything I choose will actually impact game events, but I am curious as to what references get made later on or if it makes anything harder/easier.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

So I re-subbed after being out of the game for literal years--I was in the beta and played at launch obsessively with my friends.

I got a Consular and Trooper to cap back in the day and we were regularly doing Flashpoints, so I was geared to the point of being able to do the ops, but we never found a large enough group.

Anywho, I'm back into it now, and a combination of changes/updates and not remembering has made me ignorant about the "progression" now.

So, I'm 52 now, and I was wondering if y'all could help me out:

- Are space missions still a good way to get leveling EXP now that I have a new cap to hit?
- What's the deal with a new kind of ship customization? I could've sworn I found a new menu somewhere but I can't seem to access it again--is it only on the fleet? And what's it all about?
- Any point in doing any of the old dailies until I'm capped again?
- I hear that Flashpoints can be solo'd now? Is that a real way to get gear?
- What are data crystals all about?
- What server are Goons on?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

So I re-subbed after being out of the game for literal years--I was in the beta and played at launch obsessively with my friends.

I got a Consular and Trooper to cap back in the day and we were regularly doing Flashpoints, so I was geared to the point of being able to do the ops, but we never found a large enough group.

Anywho, I'm back into it now, and a combination of changes/updates and not remembering has made me ignorant about the "progression" now.

- Are space missions still a good way to get leveling EXP now that I have a new cap to hit?
- What's the deal with a new kind of ship customization? I could've sworn I found a new menu somewhere but I can't seem to access it again--is it only on the fleet? And what's it all about?

No idea about space missions. Getting Xp is so hilariously easy these days, I haven't looked at them in ages.
You can do the weekly Heroic missions for xp. Your level now scales down to whatever planet you're right now and you get full Xp for them. They're easily done solo (maybe not Makeb with lovely companion influence) and you get level appropriate prototype gear from them. They also come with a handy item that lets you teleport to the heroic area and most of them can be turned in remotely. Heroics are really really easy these days.
Data crystals are the new planetary commendations. Remember that every planet had its own currency at the start of the game? Tythoon commendations, Alderaan commendations, they were all rolled into planetary commendations some time ago and renamed Data Crystals with this expansion. You can get starter 65 gear with them, mods for leveling and stuff like legendary companion gifts.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

Just play through the storyline from wherever you currently are and you'll be capped. No need to grind dailies or anything, for leveling at least.

If you have orange gear you can just use the basic comms (I forget what the crystal name is for them) to upgrade your mods.

The game will throw gear at you in the SoR story and ziost, and the companions basically negate the need to be in top gear just to level.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just realized, for all the new planets, there is STILL no Kashyyyk!

Cmon, Bioware, lets us play treehouse with the giant beardog race!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
drat, we missed top 10 in conquest by 9,000 points. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wuxi posted:

You can do the weekly Heroic missions for xp. Your level now scales down to whatever planet you're right now and you get full Xp for them. They're easily done solo (maybe not Makeb with lovely companion influence) and you get level appropriate prototype gear from them. They also come with a handy item that lets you teleport to the heroic area and most of them can be turned in remotely. Heroics are really really easy these days.

Also, the gear you get from heroic boxes looks really sharp, at least for Sith Warriors. The stuff I got from Tattooiinnee makes me look like a Jedi with black robes. The stuff I got later on looks just like the Bladestorm set that apparently isn't in the game any more.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Shadow of Revan sucks because the great purple weapon it hands you at the start that you use from basically 55 to 60 is a sword and not a lightsaber. :argh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pierson posted:

Shadow of Revan sucks because the great purple weapon it hands you at the start that you use from basically 55 to 60 is a sword and not a lightsaber. :argh:

When I got to Rishi, it gave me some quest-completion reward of a legacy-bound purple weapon for any class (I think the idea is that you can equip your alts); there was a lightsaber among the choices, so I used that myself. :shobon:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

When I got to Rishi, it gave me some quest-completion reward of a legacy-bound purple weapon for any class (I think the idea is that you can equip your alts); there was a lightsaber among the choices, so I used that myself. :shobon:

That's actually a remnant reward. Originally the weapons were for your companion so there options will be limited to what companions you have. When 4.0 launched it made that gear usable by players but also removed the majority of it as rewards for most quests (Yavin weekly).

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Waffles Inc. posted:

If you enjoy the railshooter space missions then sure, you can get XP that way and XP boost consumables for space missions cost literally pennies. But XP has been made much easier to get in the rest of the game, so those space missions are no longer a particularly good way to get XP.

Waffles Inc. posted:

There's a whole new PVP space combat X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter minigame called Galactic Starfighter. The new ship customization applies to your GSF ships only. There's a button to access the GSF hangar on your minimap, just below the group finder button.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

prefect posted:

The 'prelude to Revan' thing right? Yeah that's the one I'm talking about, as a Sith Juggernaut I just got the choice of two identical vibroblades. :(

Also wow I miss getting those blue heroic boxes as F2p. Also I miss operations. And artifacts. A lot of stuff in fact, they really punish you for not spending money.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pierson posted:

The 'prelude to Revan' thing right? Yeah that's the one I'm talking about, as a Sith Juggernaut I just got the choice of two identical vibroblades. :(

Yep, like I said you get options based on your companion. Your two choices there are for Broonmark (DPS and tank). Since Sith Warrior doesn't have a single lightsaber using companion (Jaesa uses double bladed) you wouldn't have a single bladed lightsaber as an option.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Eh, very few lightsabers are visually distinct. The starter orange one you get is fine

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wuxi posted:

You can get starter 65 gear with them, mods for leveling and stuff like legendary companion gifts.

So if I already have a full set of 208+ gear, I should be spending those Common Data crystals on gifts, and there's nothing else to do with them?

Also I do have a full set of 208 gear but my blaster rifle is still the 192 one I got from the Revan prelude; how can I get a better one?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I recently discovered that the Dragon Pearl Lightsaber (lvl 24) is much stronger the quest gear at that level. It's pretty cheap on the GTN too.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 23, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Eh, very few lightsabers are visually distinct. The starter orange one you get is fine

There are some that have a thinner blade than others. Which was bothering me on my maurader for the roughly 10 minutes it took me to realize you can pull down copies of GTN weapons from your collection. Now I've got matched blades *and* matching crystals.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

and the starters usually make the best sounds too

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also I do have a full set of 208 gear but my blaster rifle is still the 192 one I got from the Revan prelude; how can I get a better one?

Taking the mods out of a PVP weapon is what I would do

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Are there any other lightsaber hilt options between 190 and the 250k+ items on the GTN?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

go3 posted:

Are there any other lightsaber hilt options between 190 and the 250k+ items on the GTN?

Run a few heroic Star Fortresses with a friend and you'll eventually see a 208 drop. Alternatively run Eternity Vault, Scum and Villainy and Ravagers with either a guild group or pug and hope to win the roll on final boss for a 216 weapon.

If you want a 216 non moddable weapon, an artificer can make you one for mats which are the conquest reward for hitting your personal goal (strategic resource matrix) and a few Exotic Isotope thingies. This is equivalent to a raid drop but does not have a hilt/mod/enhancement so it cannot be upgraded

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

As expected, companion changes in tomorrow's patch.

Long post here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8653152#edit8653152

The short version:

quote:

We will be increasing Companion power. It will not be as powerful as before, but the changes will be significant.
Heroic Star Fortresses will get a new moniker to denote that it’s a different type of challenge. And we will balance Star Fortresses independently of both Companion power and [Heroic 2]s to ensure they are tuned appropriately.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm just glad I did the One and Only achievement early on so I couldn't care less about companion nerfs or Star Fortress changes. :smug:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

It doesn't surprise me they're tweaking companions again. Last night there was someone ranting in fleetchat over how horrible it was that you didn't have to work on gearing companions and it was catering to lazy people while lamenting the companions not being as uberpowerful as they were before the nerf.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

The initial difficulty level for Star Fortresses are clearly story content, meaning, we expect all of you to take part and enjoy them while earning new Contacts.
But don't we still need to do the not!Heroic version to actually unlock the contacts?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I just hit 65 on my Jugg, I've bought most of a set with those green data crystals. What's the gear progression like these days, what should I be doing?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Kurieg posted:

But don't we still need to do the not!Heroic version to actually unlock the contacts?

Yup!

Poor phrasing on his part I suspect.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Medullah posted:

Run a few heroic Star Fortresses with a friend and you'll eventually see a 208 drop. Alternatively run Eternity Vault, Scum and Villainy and Ravagers with either a guild group or pug and hope to win the roll on final boss for a 216 weapon.

If you want a 216 non moddable weapon, an artificer can make you one for mats which are the conquest reward for hitting your personal goal (strategic resource matrix) and a few Exotic Isotope thingies. This is equivalent to a raid drop but does not have a hilt/mod/enhancement so it cannot be upgraded

"Run things with other people" This is your way of sucking me into guild content isn't it :argh:

Guess I need to finish off my 208/216 gear so I can do that

loving MMOs.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

are there any places to buy cartel coins at a discount?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Wow, the companion nerf furor already got them to change it?

Of course, all this means is that the whiny nerds on the official boards will take it as a sign that THE SYSTEM WORKS.

E: A 48% increase in companion healing? That's....bold.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 23, 2015

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Wow, the companion nerf furor already got them to change it?

Of course, all this means is that the whiny nerds on the official boards will take it as a sign that THE SYSTEM WORKS.

E: A 48% increase in companion healing? That's....bold.

It was around 75% a nerf before, so not so bad.

I don't really care either way but while I agree that you shouldn't be able to AFK while your companion does the work, in PVE content, no one should care. As long as you're not better off replacing an actual player by a comp in group content, they can be as strong as they want.

Granted, you'd be better off replacing 75% of pubies with a comp but anyway...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

go3 posted:

"Run things with other people" This is your way of sucking me into guild content isn't it :argh:

Guess I need to finish off my 208/216 gear so I can do that

loving MMOs.

Man...I don't know how many times I have to say this in this thread, and I'm sorry I'm gonna scream here :D

:siren:Your gear does not matter one bit for story mode raiding:siren:. You can literally walk into a SM raid wearing the gear you got at level 10 when you chose your advanced class and as long as you've got a dps mainhand and offhand and queued as DPS, your gear will be bolstered to an appropriate level for the Story Mode raiding. Never let gear be a factor for story mode raiding. If you don't want to raid, don't raid. SM raiding is about learning the mechanics and seeing the general story of the raid, and gearing up for Hard Mode raiding. Gear doesn't matter. :)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Hulk Smash! posted:

It was around 75% a nerf before, so not so bad.

I don't really care either way but while I agree that you shouldn't be able to AFK while your companion does the work, in PVE content, no one should care. As long as you're not better off replacing an actual player by a comp in group content, they can be as strong as they want.

That's kind of where healing comps were for tactical flashpoints at 4.0

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Geniasis posted:

That's kind of where healing comps were for tactical flashpoints at 4.0

Still are. I would have preferred my rank 1 healing companion to the level 40 assassin in the tactical I ran the other day. I first noticed he had no stance on, so I asked him what discipline he was. After minutes of waiting he says "Damage". "Okay, but which discipline?" "Damage". "...okay, well you don't have a charge on. Put on whatever charge your discipline uses, Lightning for Hatred and Surging for Deception." Minute passes. "Found it." Activates dark charge.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Still are. I would have preferred my rank 1 healing companion to the level 40 assassin in the tactical I ran the other day. I first noticed he had no stance on, so I asked him what discipline he was. After minutes of waiting he says "Damage". "Okay, but which discipline?" "Damage". "...okay, well you don't have a charge on. Put on whatever charge your discipline uses, Lightning for Hatred and Surging for Deception." Minute passes. "Found it." Activates dark charge.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I ended up saying in group "Okay, well we can't 3 man this boss so I think I'm gonna leave" (It was the desert boss in Czerka), hoping someone other than me would initiate the votekick. No vote kick pop up, so I quit.

On a side note, it appears the deserters penalty for group finder has been reduced drastically. I quit that group, went and got a drink and when I sat back down I re-queued. And no, I wasn't at the bar for two hours MOM.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm running an up to 10 year-old FrankenPC with 4 gigs of RAM (motherboard limits me to old stuff so getting more gets expensive), horrid lag, and because I know how to point my gun at guys and click the damage buttons I'm still a better party member than most random-flashpoint pubbies.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Question - how is the XP on Free to Play (technically Preferred, or whatever)?

I played at launch for 5 or 6 months, finished up the Smuggler storyline, then quit. I tried it out again a bit later, but the Free to Play XP rate was so terrible I'd finish the questline on a planet and then have to grind womprats for a day to go on to the next one. Is it still that bad to play free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Yessod posted:

Question - how is the XP on Free to Play (technically Preferred, or whatever)?

I played at launch for 5 or 6 months, finished up the Smuggler storyline, then quit. I tried it out again a bit later, but the Free to Play XP rate was so terrible I'd finish the questline on a planet and then have to grind womprats for a day to go on to the next one. Is it still that bad to play free?

You will be fine. You get slightly less xp than a subscriber would, but between class quests, planetary quests, and maybe a heroic here or there you will have more than enough xp to hit 50 without any grinding.

Other free to play issues may suck though. Limits on quick bars, money caps, etc. But xp isn't really an issue and leveling 1-50 will be fine.

• Locked thread