Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jia posted:

I Am The Doorway is phenomenal, what the gently caress

Khizan posted:

How did I miss that? I love I am the Doorway. ...it all really worked for me.
"I Am The Doorway" is one of the short stories from Night Shift that I remember better than most of the others (excluding the ones that were in movies, reinforcing them in my memory, for better or worse.)
Although the one that probably freaked me out the most was the most crazy outlandish Stephen Kingy-ist "what ifs" ever written: "The Mangler." That poo poo hosed me up when I was a kid.

For some reason I decided to read them by flashlight in bed on school nights when I was supposed to be sleeping. Great memories now, but a bad idea then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mister Kingdom posted:

I hope this does not happen.

I just don't buy MM as the Man in Black.

Honestly when I first pictured the cast of the movie when it was announced my gut feeling was Russell Crowe as Roland and MM for Walter...but only if he is capable of toning down the over-the-top accent. I'm not sure who else is a better fit at least among already-famous actors, but I think it's mostly pointless to worry about - I am almost certain even if it does get made on schedule and not cancelled/delayed indefinitely, it's going to be disappointing for both fans and the general public.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I can't account for why, but my crystal-clear mental image for the Man in Black was always David Carradine.

Admittedly there would be issues with that casting now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ProfessorProf posted:

I can't account for why, but my crystal-clear mental image for the Man in Black was always David Carradine.

Admittedly there would be issues with that casting now.

He could play the Man in Black at the beginning of Drawing of the Three, I guess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pheeets posted:

I just picked up Rose Madder for a buck and was pondering whether or not to read it, I couldn't remember if I liked it or not. Thanks to this thread I'm going to give it a try.

I liked it a lot but I'm in the minority here,

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I for some reason have the feeling the Mangler was adapted into something like Creepshow. Wikipedia says it was loosely adapted into a movie or something, but I've never seen that but swear I've seen some kind of short film that was basically the Mangler before (been a very long time since I've seen Creepshow, maybe I'm just having a weird fever dream similar to Hogan's meat shoes or something)

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mister Kingdom posted:

I hope this does not happen.

I just don't buy MM as the Man in Black.

:hellyeah: hell yeah I do. I think I've posted about this before in this thread when he was brought up (probably during the last iteration of "the movie is totally happening this time guys"). Maybe not 10 years ago when McConaughey was, I dunno, just pretending to not be good at acting, but the past 5 (maybe 10 now?) years he's shown he could do it and do it well.

Also agreed with whoever said (or whatever casting rumour suggested) Jeffery Dean Morgan for Roland.

Vastarien posted:

Yeah, this is by far my least favorite King collection. A Death and The Dune are the only ones that I really liked. The others range from OK to completely forgettable.
I read the Dune and liked it a few years ago when it was published in a yearly "best of" horror anthology. Somehow I completely forgot about the punchline and hated it this time around.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

facebook jihad posted:

I for some reason have the feeling the Mangler was adapted into something like Creepshow. Wikipedia says it was loosely adapted into a movie or something, but I've never seen that but swear I've seen some kind of short film that was basically the Mangler before (been a very long time since I've seen Creepshow, maybe I'm just having a weird fever dream similar to Hogan's meat shoes or something)

It want short enough.

The premise was spooky as a story, trying to find out how all the ingredients of a demon incantation got in there, and then finding out whoops we missed one and this is way worse than we thought, but the actuality of an industrial folding machine tearing itself loose and heading down the road isn't a good way to end a movie.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

facebook jihad posted:

There was a movie with Robert Englund. I haven't seen it since it first came out (which was like, what, 20 years ago now?), but I remember it being utter crap. The short story, on the other hand, I remember really liking.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
Oh no. I started reading Rose Madder, and right in the beginning they start talking about women at the battered women's shelter as "welfare lesbians", and at a dinner there they are of course listening to The Indigo Girls. It's so reminiscent of Insomnia where all the battered women become lesbians, which is such a huge misconception. I'm going to keep going and hope it doesn't develop that theme too much, but I may have to put it down if it does. Women don't become lesbians because men treat them like garbage, Steve!! For Christ's sake. And stop "arming" the sweat off your forehead every time you "breast" a hill !!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

Oh no. I started reading Rose Madder, and right in the beginning they start talking about women at the battered women's shelter as "welfare lesbians", and at a dinner there they are of course listening to The Indigo Girls. It's so reminiscent of Insomnia where all the battered women become lesbians, which is such a huge misconception. I'm going to keep going and hope it doesn't develop that theme too much, but I may have to put it down if it does. Women don't become lesbians because men treat them like garbage, Steve!! For Christ's sake. And stop "arming" the sweat off your forehead every time you "breast" a hill !!

It's been a long time since I read that.

That's a drat shame.

Doesn't even begin to reflect reality either.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The Mangler is an ace badmovie and so is The Mangler Reborn.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

The Time Dissolver posted:

The Mangler is an ace badmovie and so is The Mangler Reborn.

I like the one where it's a computer virus somehow.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Pheeets posted:

Notes of this ring through in IT as well. I appreciate most parts of that book, but the graphic beating of Bev's confidante is some schlocky, lazy shock horror.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I always thought the man in black was Johnny Cash

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I recently re-read 22/11/63 and decided to follow King's advice this time, and bought "Time and again" by Jack Finney. He calls it the "ultimate time travel story" or something.

Well, I'm 23% into it, and so far the main character is basically LARP'ing 1880 in a hotel room or whatever.

Please tell me there's more to it?!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

I always thought the man in black was Johnny Cash

Why even have a discussion on who should play him? Did something happen to Jamey Sheridan???

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
11/22/63 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QIShmtBdto

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Medullah posted:

Why even have a discussion on who should play him? Did something happen to Jamey Sheridan???

i was making a joke ffs

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Medullah posted:

He aged twenty years.

Back in the day before Walter and Flagg were the same guy, I felt Peter Wingfield would be a great choice for the man in black. He has that arrogant, condescending sneer down really well, so I the fireside palaver would have been dynamite with him in the role.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

i was making a joke ffs

As was I. :D

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok this is driving me crazy. I can not find the name or where I read this short story and im 99% sure its King.

The synopsis, was a horror magazine editor received a really good submission from some recluse that he decided to visit in person.... AND SHOULDNT HAVE.

I couldve sworn it was in Just After Sunset or Full Dark but judging from the wikis its in neither. Does anyone know what the hell im talking about? :)

April
Jul 3, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

Ok this is driving me crazy. I can not find the name or where I read this short story and im 99% sure its King.

The synopsis, was a horror magazine editor received a really good submission from some recluse that he decided to visit in person.... AND SHOULDNT HAVE.

I couldve sworn it was in Just After Sunset or Full Dark but judging from the wikis its in neither. Does anyone know what the hell im talking about? :)

That's Joe Hill, from 20th Century Ghosts. The story is Best New Fiction. That whole collection is delicious.

Captain Tripps
May 17, 2004
This space for rent...

Technically correct, but it was Joe King.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Century_Ghosts#Best_New_Horror

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

I don't remember if it's in Skeleton Crew or Night shift, but I know it's in one of those. Something about Fornits?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Guiness13 posted:

I don't remember if it's in Skeleton Crew or Night shift, but I know it's in one of those. Something about Fornits?

You're thinking of The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet in Skeleton Crew, but that's not the story other dude was looking for

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Haha wow I completely forgot ever reading Joe's book. Thanks guys

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I read that King himself hates Carrie and thinks it's schlocky horror. I think it's one of his better books. It has focused themes and images throughout, "real" horror like the fundamentalist mother and school bullying, and some of the more iconic scenes he's ever described. And it predates Roald Dahl's Matilda so it isn't a rip off either.

I haven't read any King books since the 90's, and I think I was turned off by his shortcomings as an author. He can write iconic and suspenseful scenes and come up with great story concepts, and then he completely looses it and the shopkeeper turns into a magical dwarf satan.

Are you joking?

kjetting fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 20, 2015

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Laocius posted:

So, I've been thinking about starting the Dark Tower series, but I've heard that those books are really tied into a lot of other Stephen King books, and I've never read anything else he's ever written. Do the Dark Tower books stand on their own, or are there other specific books I should read first to get the most out of the series?

I got a list of books you should apparently read to fully appreciate the Dark Tower series from Reddit I think, there are plenty of other lists but this one included books I already owned and read so I stuck with this one:

• It
  • Jerusalem's Lot (Night Shift)
  • Salem's Lot
  • One for the Road (Night Shift)
  • Night Shift (Night Shift)
  • The Stand
  • The Eyes of the Dragon
  • The Little Sisters of Eluria (Everything's Eventual)
  • The Gunslinger
  • The Drawing of the Three
  • The Waste Lands
  • Insomnia
  • Wizard and Glass
  • Hearts in Atlantis
  • Wolves of the Calla
  • Song of Susannah
  • Black House
  • The Mist (Skeleton Crew)
  • Everything's Eventual (Everything's Eventual)
  • The Dark Tower

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 21, 2015

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

nm, sry

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Finished The Mongoliad 3 and started Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts." So far, I think it deserves the lavish praise it's received.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

kjetting posted:

I read that King himself hates Carrie and thinks it's schlocky horror. I think it's one of his better books. It has focused themes and images throughout, "real" horror like the fundamentalist mother and school bullying, and some of the more iconic scenes he's ever described. And it predates Roald Dahl's Matilda so it isn't a rip off either.

I haven't read any King books since the 90's, and I think I was turned off by his shortcomings as an author. He can write iconic and suspenseful scenes and come up with great story concepts, and then he completely looses it and the shopkeeper turns into a magical dwarf satan.

Are you joking?

I don't know that it's true that King hates Carrie at all. His introduction to the book is one of the saddest things he's written as well. It's Pet Semetary he doesn't like.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
King mainly dislikes Carrie because its his first published book and he obviously didn't have as much control over it as he had on later books, nor as much time to polish it since he was on a tight schedule. It doesn't approach hate, it's more like disappointment.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Finished The Mongoliad 3 and started Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts." So far, I think it deserves the lavish praise it's received.

He's really, really good. Horns is amazing, pick it up as zoo as you're done with 20th Century Ghosts.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Dr. Faustus posted:

Holy poo poo "The Dune" really got me. I won't say why, but it's really good.

The Dune is a drat good story, too bad about Mile 81

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I liked Mile 81, it had a good pulp feel.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Really enjoying Hearts in Atlantis, but annoyed that that most interesting character is just a supporting character throughout all the stories.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

joepinetree posted:

Really enjoying Hearts in Atlantis, but annoyed that that most interesting character is just a supporting character throughout all the stories.

I liked the first parts but couldn't get through the titular section. I gave zero shits about the guy with the penny ante card addiction who flunked out.

A friend told me it got good again after that but I never got around to rereading it.

Have you seen Brautigan?

Yeah he showed up in the later Dark Tower.

That was cool.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The second half of hearts in atlantis is good, followed by an ok story and then a pretty good one. But the most interesting story of all is never told, which is that of Carol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

joepinetree posted:

The second half of hearts in atlantis is good, followed by an ok story and then a pretty good one. But the most interesting story of all is never told, which is that of Carol.

I would also have liked to read her story, especially since the college she supposedly blew up was the school I went to. It's always interesting to read about something you know in real life as an element in a story, kind of gives you a different perspective on it.